Kubiak wants Frank Bush

OP
OP
clif

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Bucs deny Lions permission to interview Barry

The linebackers coach will not join the staff of ex-Bucs assistant Rod Marinelli, his father-in-law, in Detroit.

By RICK STROUD, Times Staff Writer
Published January 21, 2006

Joe Barry wanted to go to the Lions, but two days of pleading got him absolutely nowhere.
The linebackers coach was denied permission by the Bucs to join his father-in-law in Detroit.
Barry, who has one year remaining on his contract, said he's disappointed the Bucs won't let him become the Lions' defensive coordinator under new coach Rod Marinelli.

"I think it's a done deal," Barry said after a second day of meetings with general manager Bruce Allen. "It was somewhat abrupt when I left. I went back in (Friday). We talked over the same points and to no avail. It's an unfortunate deal, and it'll never make sense to me. They have the power to allow this to happen and chose not to."

It's the third time in the past two years Barry has been denied a chance to interview for a defensive coordinator position. Tuesday, the Bucs denied the Packers permission and previously denied the Cardinals permission. But Barry had hoped the Bucs would make an exception with the Lions, especially because he is married to Marinelli's daughter, Chris.

But Marinelli is the third defensive assistant to leave the Bucs staff since the end of the season, including defensive backs coach Mike Tomlin (Vikings defensive coordinator) and assistant secondary coach Raheem Morris (Kansas State defensive coordinator). "We talked about all my points and all (of Allen's) points, and I didn't walk out of there feeling like I was going to get released," Barry said. "The sad thing is it happens about a half-dozen times a year in this league when (an assistant) is allowed to leave to become a coordinator. Just not here."

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/01/21/Bucs/Bucs_deny_Lions_permi.shtml

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
clif said:
"The sad thing is it happens about a half-dozen times a year in this league when (an assistant) is allowed to leave to become a coordinator. Just not here."
Did you notice that last line Clif?

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
clif said:
Washington denied teams access to Greg williams to interview for HC job. He got a fat pay raise, but no one knows if Frank Bush will get one or not.
Yeah, and then Washington gave him a fat raise and a handshake promise to give him the head coaching position when Gibbs retired to keep him happy. Guys like Loney and Bush have supposedly been offered higher salaried positions elsewhere in the NFL but have been premission to seek them by the Cardinals. That's fine with me, but in order to keep these guys happy you should at least give them a bump in pay to make up for not letting them pursue more profitable opportunities.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At a certain point in time, doesn't this situation seem to smell of tampering?

What better way for a rival to sew seeds of discontent within another's organization than by offering raises to their employees, especially when they know full well that they are under contract?

I bet that there will be a discussion of this at the Winter Meetings.

The Shark

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
clif said:
Bucs deny Lions permission to interview Barry

The linebackers coach will not join the staff of ex-Bucs assistant Rod Marinelli, his father-in-law, in Detroit.

By RICK STROUD, Times Staff Writer
Published January 21, 2006

Joe Barry wanted to go to the Lions, but two days of pleading got him absolutely nowhere.
The linebackers coach was denied permission by the Bucs to join his father-in-law in Detroit.
Barry, who has one year remaining on his contract, said he's disappointed the Bucs won't let him become the Lions' defensive coordinator under new coach Rod Marinelli.

"I think it's a done deal," Barry said after a second day of meetings with general manager Bruce Allen. "It was somewhat abrupt when I left. I went back in (Friday). We talked over the same points and to no avail. It's an unfortunate deal, and it'll never make sense to me. They have the power to allow this to happen and chose not to."

It's the third time in the past two years Barry has been denied a chance to interview for a defensive coordinator position. Tuesday, the Bucs denied the Packers permission and previously denied the Cardinals permission. But Barry had hoped the Bucs would make an exception with the Lions, especially because he is married to Marinelli's daughter, Chris.

But Marinelli is the third defensive assistant to leave the Bucs staff since the end of the season, including defensive backs coach Mike Tomlin (Vikings defensive coordinator) and assistant secondary coach Raheem Morris (Kansas State defensive coordinator). "We talked about all my points and all (of Allen's) points, and I didn't walk out of there feeling like I was going to get released," Barry said. "The sad thing is it happens about a half-dozen times a year in this league when (an assistant) is allowed to leave to become a coordinator. Just not here."

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/01/21/Bucs/Bucs_deny_Lions_permi.shtml
Ok, but now the Bucs have a pissed off employee on their hands just like we apparently do in Arizona.

OP
OP
clif

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Yeah, and then Washington gave him a fat raise and a handshake promise to give him the head coaching position when Gibbs retired to keep him happy. Guys like Loney and Bush have supposedly been offered higher salaried positions elsewhere in the NFL but have been premission to seek them by the Cardinals. That's fine with me, but in order to keep these guys happy you should at least give them a bump in pay to make up for not letting them pursue more profitable opportunities.

I agree with you on this point. Hopefully we give him some real reason to stay. (monetary)

I was simply disputing the notion that it is "bush league" Bush league in my mind would mean that it is something cheap and out of the ordinary. The article above clearly shows that at least one other team does the same thing people want to bang the cardinals for doing. ( I'm almost certain other teams do it as well) Last time I checked Tampa was not considered a bush league team.

Again I wouldn't be too concerned if Denny let him walk and replaced him, but I don't see why the uproar in keeping him either.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
clif said:
what about it?
The other teams in general allow coaches interview for coordinator positions. The teams that don't are few and apparently we are one of them.

OP
OP
clif

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
earthsci said:
The other teams in general allow coaches interview for coordinator positions. The teams that don't are few and apparently we are one of them.

I understand what you are trying to imply, but there is no clear evidence of whether we are in the majority or minority on this issue.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
clif said:
I understand what you are trying to imply, but there is no clear evidence of whether we are in the majority or minority on this issue.

Cliff it is common knowledge on this topic that teams allow access to their coaches if it is a vertical move. You dont need no article to spell it out for you, it just is and has been forever.

And he isnt implying anything the guy spells it right out for you in his quote,

"The sad thing is it happens about a half-dozen times a year in this league when (an assistant) is allowed to leave to become a coordinator. Just not here."

If you still dont buy it then you are puttin your head in the sand

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NEZCardsfan said:
Late stage?? Kubiak was just hired.

That is not our problem.

Late as in late in the process for most teams hiring coaches for next year. It's not our problem that the Texans had to wait until now to get their new HC.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
Cliff is common knowledge on this topic that teams allow access to their coaches if it is a vertical move. You dont need no article to spell it out for you, it just is and has been since I can remember.

And he isnt implying anything the guys spells it right out for you in his quote,"The sad thing is it happens about a half-dozen times a year in this league when (an assistant) is allowed to leave to become a coordinator. Just not here."

Joe you are partialy correct. The difference is had they asked in early Jan then maybe it's worth considering but not now.

If they want him that bad, come up with an offer we can't refuse.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
nidan said:
That is not our problem.

Late as in late in the process for most teams hiring coaches for next year. It's not our problem that the Texans had to wait until now to get their new HC.

It's not the Texans' fault either. Obviously they were going to grab Kubiak no matter what. They had to wait until his season was done. It's not anybody's fault that he made the AFC Title game.

Frank Bush was a fan favorite in Houston. I personally don't think he could be a DC in this league, but obviously Kubiak does, and the Cards should let him go interview.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Or give him a reason to want to stay.

Promote him to DC??

Or more $$$$$$$$

Seriously, if this was me, and the $$$$ was the same, I'd want to go move up the ladder. My goal would be to be a HC one day. It would be a potentially easier jump from DC than it would from LB coach.

OP
OP
clif

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
Cliff is common knowledge on this topic that teams allow access to their coaches if it is a vertical move. You dont need no article to spell it out for you, it just is and has been since I can remember.

And he isnt implying anything the guys spells it right out for you in his quote,"The sad thing is it happens about a half-dozen times a year in this league when (an assistant) is allowed to leave to become a coordinator. Just not here."

Ok joe. Only the Cardinals would dare dream of doing anything so bush league :rolleyes:

Saban tried to interview Pendry for the offensive coordinator position last year before Linehan was hired but was denied permission by the Texans. Pendry is expected to be fired when Broncos offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak is named coach next week.
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2006/01/20/w1c_dolphins_0120.html

The Post-Dispatch also reported that the Dolphins denied the Rams permission to interview wide receivers coach Charlie Baggett. Baggett could be promoted to offensive coordinator if Saban doesn't make an outside hire.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2006/01/21/a6c_dolphins_0121.html

The Chicago Sun-Times reports the Lions denied persmission for Lions QB coach Greg Olson to interview for the Saints head coaching job.

http://www.mlive.com/weblogs/highlightreel/index.ssf?/mtlogs/mlive_highlightreel/archives/2005_02.html

Again I could go on and on. Is it uncommon to deny a guy a chance at a promotion with another club.. no as much as some would make it out to be.

Again though my point of contention was that this would be bush league and teams would take notice.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
clif said:
Ok joe. Only the Cardinals would dare dream of doing anything so bush league :rolleyes:

Obviously the Bucs too. They were losers for decades. Don't want to be copying the Bucs. For as much Defensive talent as they had they should have more than 1 title and a bunch of early exits.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Could it be that hard to find another LB'er coach?

Is it really a good idea to tick off a guy like that and make him stay? Will we honestly get his best effort?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Reading the Tea Leaves...

The official Cardinal website has reposted an earlier Frank Bush Q & A session as their top story. I wonder why.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
clif said:

No they wouldnt, and to calrify they havent done anything bush league yet, but even the idea of it puts you into protector of the Cards organization mode.

And becuase another team does it, it means its OK for us to do it, nice logic there.

Baggett is one of Sabans best coaches and was seen as a possible canidate for their in house OC position, if another really good one didnt come along like what happened then Baggett was his 2nd choice. Denying permission in circumstance is completely understandable. If Saban knew that Mularky was going to take the OC job he would have allowed the Rams permission.

As for the other ones, we dont the circumstances with them. Did the position coach tell them to deny permission, for exampleOwner A tells coach that Owner B wants to talk to you, Coach likes where he is at and tells Owner A tell them no, this happens more times then you think, some coaches just dont want to be a head coach, OC, or DC, Just take a look at Sullivan he only became a OC becuase we begged him so much. You also have to consider how much money were they offering compared to what they are getting paid right now, ect. those facts just were not given. Plus not to mention those were few and far between examples. More times then not permission is granted, that is a simple fact that cannot be disputed.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PortlandCardFan said:
I thought we finished 10th in defense??

Where is the 8th coming from?

8th is coming from the NFL: http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/DEF-TOTAL/2005/regular?sort_col_1=4

I'd like to know, from where is the "10th" coming? Perhaps people are recalling that the Cardinals were the only team to finish in the top 10 in offensive and defensive yards this year. In fact, they finished 8th in both categories.

Just keepin' it real....

...dave

OP
OP
clif

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
NEZCardsfan said:
Obviously the Bucs too. They were losers for decades. Don't want to be copying the Bucs. For as much Defensive talent as they had they should have more than 1 title and a bunch of early exits.

I would love the copy the Bucs format. They have won a superbowl and are usually in or challenging for the playoffs. Why wouldn't you want to copy that? We are not talking about the 77 bucs.

again it is not that big of a deal either way to me. I just don't see why the cards need to be singled out in this case.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
clif said:
I would love the copy the Bucs format. They have won a superbowl and are usually in or challenging for the playoffs. Why wouldn't you want to copy that? We are not talking about the 77 bucs.

I'd rather copy the Pats' format.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Yeah, and then Washington gave him a fat raise and a handshake promise to give him the head coaching position when Gibbs retired to keep him happy.
It wasn't a handshake promise - it was written into his contract that he'll get a million bucks if he doesn't succeed Gibbs as head coach:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2284695

Just keepin' it real....

...dave

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser