LA Chargers @ Arizona Cardinals Pre Game Thread. 10/14/24-10/20/24

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Kyle Odegard
@Kyle_Odegard
·
1h

Despite the worst pass-rush win-rate in the NFL, the Cardinals are only blitzing 15.1% of the time, per
@pfref.
Rushing four worked well in Philly because Gannon had some dogs on the DL, but you can’t stubbornly stick to your scheme if it doesn’t match the personnel.
It’s the new Cardinal way on both sides of the ball… at least Rallis scheme worked in Philly. Petz’s in Cleveland never worked.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if it's more that the foundation of the defense builds from the back, and they want to ensure the secondary is buttoned-up. You have to have players you're willing to send from the back-seven to rush additional players.

Zaven Collins has played 204 snaps and generated 2 pressures this year, per PFR. Had to lock that guy down.
Collins needs a better supporting cast…

It works for Kyler…

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I like Petzing. Seems like a good guy. However, maybe JG should have brought in a more experienced coach to assist him as the pass game coordinator. Drew Terrell clearly isn't making life easier for Petzing.
I think back to the comments Petzing/Gannon made about us wanting to adjust our schemes to the opponent. We want to be versatile! But the problem is when the matchup calls for us to be pass heavy, (Lions, Commanders, Packers) we just can't execute.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cardinals scored touchdowns on the first drive of their first five games this season. And Petzing was getting both local and national love from the Cards' offensive work at the end of last season through the first two weeks of this season. [....]

Overall, the Cardinals are 10th in the NFL in yards per play, 15th in yards per game, seventh in rushing yards per game, 15th in third-down conversions, 13th in red-zone efficiency, and 17th in scoring.
So what's changed in the last 4 games to turn Petzing from a darling to an imbecile?

After the Green Bay game it's tough to defend him, but the Cards are still middle of the league by all of the quoted offensive measures, after playing 5 playoff teams. Should Petzing get a little more leeway before the lynch mobs are set loose?

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
has prater kicked 55+ game winning field goals for this team? Seems like one of the only big kicks Prater actually kicked in the last three years he missed against Seattle to give us a walk-off season ending L to end last season... which i think was under 40 yards.
He made 9 of 12 last year from 50+ including a 62 yarder in our win against Dallas. I know he had a 57 yarder in our Rams win this year and in 2022 he only missed one from 50+. He's been above average from 50+ and has made a few 60+ yarders for us, I think it's nice having him.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't buy into the Petzing is dumb thing. We were the only team to score a TD on their opening drive in the first 5 games. Those were some tough and physical teams and he was able to script the perfect start to the game.

Where he seems to struggle is countering when teams counter. That's an experience thing.

I do believe all the coaches are behind the 8 ball on talent once injuries set in.

Here is my why the offense is under performing

#1 Injuries on the oline.
#2. Talent at the WR position
#3. Kyler Murray not reading the defense and audibling to the correct play
#4. Kyler Murray not running enough
#5. Petzing
#6. RB Production
#7. TE production

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Here is my why the offense is under performing

#1 Injuries on the oline.
#2. Talent at the WR position
#3. Kyler Murray not reading the defense and audibling to the correct play
#4. Kyler Murray not running enough
#5. Petzing
#6. RB Production
#7. TE production

Agree mostly and you make some good points about DP. I can go along with "he's learning on the job" at least for a little while.

He's higher on my list not just for the passing game design and Murray's running play volume, but also for some of curious play-calls in critical moments of games so far this season.

But he's also being affected by the oline just like the six other players on the field on offense.

Still a long way to go this season. I know it's not a popular viewpoint, but I'm more concerned with how we're playing the last eight games of this particular year vs. the first nine.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't know Ouchie.

I super duper wish I knew exactly how much leeway Murray has to call his own number in that situation, but I don't think any of us here on the board really know.

I think the kid wants to win pretty bad. I think he hates losing and hates getting called out. I think he likes to make big plays.

It's hard to imagine that he's intentionally passing up opportunities to make plays to help us win. It's possible he doesn't recognize them though to I guess?

It's a mystery. Right on par with the precise origin of the Universe. :)
Wait are you arguing kyker doesn’t have the green light to scramble for a first if the opportunity presents itself? Surely not.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
This pisses me off to no end. I’m getting closer and closer to saying enough is enough. I spent hundreds of dollars on NFL ticket so I can watch the games and now I can’t watch this one. So pissed.
Does anyone know of a way to watch this game live for free without signing up for ESPN+?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I like Petzing. Seems like a good guy. However, maybe JG should have brought in a more experienced coach to assist him as the pass game coordinator. Drew Terrell clearly isn't making life easier for Petzing.
I am also fine with Petzing outside of this idiotic comment.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
They clog the rush lanes and play man coverage. Kyler can't scramble and has to make quick decisions in the pocket. It's working for the vast majority of defenses we are playing. Coaching hasn't adjusted to it.
Coaching/Kyler hasn't adjusted to it.