Lakers @ Suns Gamethread

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
I believe this was actually another game that we have to give credit to Eddie for because without his spark when we were down I don't know if we would have ever came out of the start of the game slump.

CardsFan222

Rookie
Reaction score
another Kobe night 12 of 34 and ESPN acting like he is the best player in the NBA. What a joke. 12 of 34??????? ESPN should be ashamed of themselves

fordronken

Reaction score
Did anyone else's ESPN broadcast look really grainy? I usually just get used to it, but this time I could watch it on KCAL, so it worked out.

Also, I just realized that I get KTAR 620 by my house. Very confusing, but very cool.

Third random note-- my two friends who are BIG Laker fans were in New York tonight. I didn't even get to brag.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
fordronken said:
Did anyone else's ESPN broadcast look really grainy? I usually just get used to it, but this time I could watch it on KCAL, so it worked out.

Also, I just realized that I get KTAR 620 by my house. Very confusing, but very cool.

Third random note-- my two friends who are BIG Laker fans were in New York tonight. I didn't even get to brag.

Yea, when I was in Laguna Hills last month I could get KTAR.

It was the night of the Clippers game and I was trying to find the Clipper broadcast when I came across Al McCoy.

That signal can travel far at night.

Nice division win by the Suns. Lakers are playing pretty well lately but a total team effort by the Suns was too much for the Kobe show.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
On Suns.com, Gilmartin made a key point: "The Suns as a unit moved the ball well, moved without the ball well, shot well, got to the free-throw line well (for a change), rebounded well and even defended well."

It may be that the disaster in Sacramento was a necessary wake up call. This is a very good team, but when they stop passing and just take contested jumpers they are not effective. Tonight they played team basketball on offense while out rebounding the bigger Lakers.

The focus on passing is best illustrated by the 4 assists that Leandro generated. Leandro's ability to get to the basket forced the Lakers to pull back on their defense, which opened up the Suns outside shooters and cutters to the basket. If anything, the Suns struggles at making layups detracted from some great offensive movement.

I'm sure the Lakers fans will say that it was just that the Lakers were tired after their game in Sacaramento (not noticing the Suns also played on Friday), but it was still a very nice win.

sunsfn

Reaction score
I thought Marion had an awsome game!
The guy was everywhere!

reader

Veteran
Reaction score
Kobe, sure does not like to give the opposition team any credit. I think we can safely assume that Raja will be more than pleased to guard him again.

Bryant gave little credit to Bell or the other Suns defenders (”Oh, come on. You’ve got to be kidding me, man.”) saying it was just an off-shooting night in the second game in as many nights. Bryant had 51 in an overtime loss at Sacramento Thursday.

“I had good looks, but missed them. It’s a simple as that,” he said. “Some nights I’m on fire and other nights I have nights like tonight when the shots just aren’t going.

“Phoenix just had more shooters, and they caught a good rhythm in the third quarter.”

(I am having trouble with the Suns website, it takes forever to load and then my computer freezes. Does anyone else experience this? If someone could post all of the post game comments ......)

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
reader said:
Kobe, sure does not like to give the opposition team any credit. I think we can safely assume that Raja will be more than pleased to guard him again.

(I am having trouble with the Suns website, it takes forever to load and then my computer freezes. Does anyone else experience this? If someone could post all of the post game comments ......)
-
Suns 106, Lakers 93
Post-Game Quotes

Posted: Jan. 20, 2006

D'Antoni
SUNS HEAD COACH MIKE D’ANTONI: “Raja Bell did an unbelievable job on both ends of the floor, which is very important, especially when you are guarding Kobe [Bryant].We really hounded Kobe as much as we could and he still got 37 points and that is how good he is. Eddie House really got us started in the second quarter because we were having trouble and he really got in there for us. Shawn [Marion] had his normal 22 points and 16 rebounds. All our guys did an unbelievable job. It was a good win for us.

“When we are up by 10 or more points, we still like to have a good cushion to make sure Kobe doesn’t go crazy. If you are five or six points up, that is only two possessions for him [Bryant] and with the way he is playing right now, that is not something you can take for granted. Even if we are up twenty points or more we still can’t relax for a second, it gets hairy. I think we did a pretty good job. We seemed to lose our concentration at twenty points and you do not want to give him [Bryant] the chance to see the basket.”

Marion
SUNS FORWARD SHAWN MARION (22 PTS, 16 REBS): “It was a great game. The fans got a great show from both teams tonight. Kobe hit some real tough shots, but we came out and executed our game plan real well tonight. We just tried to stay active on defense. When you keep forcing them to take tough, contested shots, they’re going to start missing at some point. We got some long rebounds and that started some breaks for us, leading to some easy baskets. We started knocking down shots from the outside, and that allowed us to get open looks inside. We started hitting shots from all around, and that made it an easier night for us.”

Bell
SUNS GUARD RAJA BELL (18 PTS, 2 ASTS): “We’re a team of spurts. Eddie (House) really came in and got us going in the second quarter. We were going through the motions for a while, and it was important to get established and get back into the game. We really locked down on defense in the third quarter. I thought that was one of the best quarters of defense I’ve seen this team play all year.

“Our game plan was to try to contain everyone else (besides Bryant), and hope that what Kobe ended up with wouldn’t beat all 12 of our guys combined. We held him in check for the most part, but he got going in the fourth quarter. He’s a guy who will continue to push the issue, and when he gets on a roll, you just have to hold on.”

Jackson
LAKERS HEAD COACH PHIL JACKSON: “Can we go home now? They got their veterans back on the floor in the second quarter, and they started running their screen-and-rolls, their special stuff that they like to run with a variety of people, but mostly with Marion and Nash. And they got baskets that way. They were able to play some defense and they shut us down after we made a run in the second quarter.”

(On Eddie House)
“I thought guys chased him pretty well, but he got open looks. Most of the stuff that hurt us was in transition.”

(On Kobe Bryant’s play)
“I didn’t think he had good legs. He told me in the fourth quarter he was going to get hot, that he felt like he was getting in his rhythm, and he hit in a few in the fourth quarter. But, he was really bothered by [Raja] Bell. He did a great job on him.”

Bryant
LAKERS GUARD KOBE BRYANT (37 PTS, 2 ASTS): “They played Phoenix Suns style basketball. They get up and down, shoot a lot of quick shots, and when they start falling for them, they jump out to a big lead. I think we came out and played hard. Phoenix just had more shooters, and they caught a good rhythm in the third quarter with a 9-2 run that broke the game open.”

(On his shot)
“They just weren’t falling. Some nights I’m on fire, and other nights I have nights like tonight where the shots just aren’t going.”

(On Steve Nash)
“You have to be physical with him. You’ve have to get him early. I’ve had to guard him before and it’s a full-time commitment. It’s a full-time job. You can’t relax and decide to take off a possession. You have to stay on that guy the whole time. You have to commit yourself to doing it.”

(On whether the defense of Raja Bell made a difference)
“Oh, come on. You’ve got to be kidding me, man. I had good looks, but missed them. It’s as simple as that.”

Mihm
LAKERS CENTER CHRIS MIHM (10 PTS, 7 REBS): “They’re a dangerous team. They’re a team that goes on runs. We watched video, and we knew that they usually have a big quarter where they kind of blow up and get big leads on teams. Eddie House came in and did a phenomenal job tonight. He had 12 points before even blinked — in like two minutes. He was hitting everything he threw up. It was a really good performance by him. They played hard. I give them credit because they did what it took to win. We might have been a step slow tonight, but they got the job done.”

reader

Veteran
Reaction score
George, thanks.

It is also interesting to note that while Kobe did not give the Suns D any recognition, Jackson did.

When has Kobe defended Nash, anyone recall? It sounds as though if Kobe had been defending Nash, he would not have allowed Nash to get a near triple double. I sort of remember that when Kobe has defended Nash, Kobe's offense was not very good.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Got to love Kobe's attitude. :lol:

The bench had its good moments and bad moments last night. They didn't kill the Suns while Nash was out, but at they same time they didn't dominate against the Lakers' weak backups, the way they used to at the beginning of they year. (House was big with his run in the second quarter, but he was there at the beginning of the quarter, too, when the Lakers were building their lead.)

I guess Barbosa is the new starting SF now. It didn't take him long to work his way back into the starting lineup.

It would be nice to see James Jones and/or Diaw getting more minutes than they did last night--other teams will be better able to exploit the Suns' lack of size than the Lakers did. Diaw seems to have retreated into pass-first, pass-second mode, after having a couple of games last week where he did an excellent job scoring.

Still, a good win. It's nice to see the Suns kick the Lakers a few times while they're down. :)

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
reader said:
I sort of remember that when Kobe has defended Nash, Kobe's offense was not very good.

Sounds like exactly what Kobe was saying. Full time job.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
Got to love Kobe's attitude. :lol:

The bench had its good moments and bad moments last night. They didn't kill the Suns while Nash was out, but at they same time they didn't dominate against the Lakers' weak backups, the way they used to at the beginning of they year. (House was big with his run in the second quarter, but he was there at the beginning of the quarter, too, when the Lakers were building their lead.)

I guess Barbosa is the new starting SF now. It didn't take him long to work his way back into the starting lineup.

It would be nice to see James Jones and/or Diaw getting more minutes than they did last night--other teams will be better able to exploit the Suns' lack of size than the Lakers did. Diaw seems to have retreated into pass-first, pass-second mode, after having a couple of games last week where he did an excellent job scoring.

Still, a good win. It's nice to see the Suns kick the Lakers a few times while they're down. :)

I expect Diaw will have his ups and downs. His presence tends to force teams to play small because there are very few PF's that can keep him from getting to the basket off dribble. Like Leandro, he forces opponents to pack the paint and leave the Suns shooters alone.

My guess is that Diaw is still a season away from being the guy he can be. Right now he's still a bit thin to be a PF and lacks Marion's hops to compensate. I think if he was stronger, he'd be more inclined to dunk which would make him much harder to defense.

BTW, while the Suns need to have Diaw finish his drives I'm encouraged that Leandro is passing more. In previous year's, Leandro only saw the basket and never passed even when he was cut off. Both guys have to work on balancing asertiveness with with unselfishness. It's a learning process.

sunsfn

Reaction score
I have watched every game this year, and it looks to me like Diaw is slowing down. He seems to disappear sometimes lately.

His offense is off as we all can see, and he has lost some of his aggresiveness overall. D'Antoni is playing him less minutes, somewhat because he wants Barbosa in the game, but Diaw is not playing near as
well as he did earlier. He has never played this many minutes and he may be hitting the wall as many rookies do.

I agree with George when he says he is probably going to have his ups and downs the rest of the year.

When Amare comes back (and he will!) Diaw may get less minutes but be more productive in those minutes. Grant will be back and hopefully can play some also.

This team is fun to watch and House & Barbosa really add to that. :thumbup:

jibikao

Reaction score
“I didn’t think he had good legs. He told me in the fourth quarter he was going to get hot, that he felt like he was getting in his rhythm, and he hit in a few in the fourth quarter. But, he was really bothered by [Raja] Bell. He did a great job on him.”
--------------

Well, at least the coach thinks Bell had an effect on Kobe even though Kobe said he had good looks. Yeah, his good look is like so far away from 3pt line. Those are not "good looks", those are tough, lucky shots. You make some and you miss a lot on those shots. That's not a way to catch a 12pt deficit.... but since Lakers rely 110% on Kobe, I don't blame him for taking that kind of shot.

How many times did Kobe drive in? I hardly remember any except for a dunk in the end when we don't want to foul. Even the Lakers fans know that we guarded Kobe really well and Kobe was taking way too many jump shots.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Teams are learning how to defend Diaw.

Once he can go left and hit a jumper he will be more consistant but until then he just needs to finish a little stronger and push the ball.

Until these areas are addressed his effectiveness on offense is dependent on finding good matchups for him.

I think the Suns are one big guy away from a complete team even with Amare and Grant back.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
SirChaz said:
Teams are learning how to defend Diaw.

Once he can go left and hit a jumper he will be more consistant but until then he just needs to finish a little stronger and push the ball.

Until these areas are addressed his effectiveness on offense is dependent on finding good matchups for him.

I think the Suns are one big guy away from a complete team even with Amare and Grant back.

With Barbosa back, Diaw has the ball in his hands a little less. When Amare comes back, his minutes will drop. Its just one of the by products of having a deep team.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is possible that Boris is wearing down. He is playing twice the minutes he played the past two years following a very busy summer. At the same time, he is being asked to defend against guys that 50 pounds heavier and 4 inches taller. Have you noticed how much more energetic Marion is now that he doesn't play PF all the time?

Boris needs to spend next summer working on getting stronger (along with dunking and extending his shooting range). He's done much more than anyone expected, but has only started in the evolution of his game into a full fledged PF.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question...who nicknamed Kobe "The Black Mamba"?

Himself?

You can't give yourself a nickname...

Mike

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:

Himself?

Mike
He's already "Kobe", no last name required. Why does he even need a nickname?

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
You may be right about the minutes and then there is the pace the Suns run.

I have high hopes for Diaw next year. I think continuing to develop his game as a forward instead of guard will help.

His talent is clear but he is a young player and still developing.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:

Himself?

Mike

His friends. It was pretty obvious in the ESPN article it came from, when he said "My boys call me the Black Mamba, blah blah blah"

Yet we have Shaq giving himself a new nickname every week.

mathbzh

Registered
Reaction score
It is possible that Boris is wearing down. He is playing twice the minutes he played the past two years following a very busy summer. At the same time, he is being asked to defend against guys that 50 pounds heavier and 4 inches taller. Have you noticed how much more energetic Marion is now that he doesn't play PF all the time?
I read somewhere (I don't remenber which french paper) that Boris has lost something like 10 pounds since the season begin. He says it comes from the high intensity required in Phoenix game. I will try to find the exact quote.