League won't Change "Hack A Shaq" rule

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
So no debate and full support over taking a team from seattle but hack a shaq stays? bunch of crooks.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This obviously would have never happened had we not traded Joe Johnson and sold our first round picks

:D

cly2tw

Reaction score
It won't affect the Suns next season much.

Hacking Shaq is most effective at disrupting the pace DA's system wanted. DA is gone. The new Suns will have to play better defense anyway. By holding opp. field goal % to below 45%, we'll still win by Shaq FT shooting around 50%.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
It won't affect the Suns next season much.

Hacking Shaq is most effective at disrupting the pace DA's system wanted. DA is gone. The new Suns will have to play better defense anyway. By holding opp. field goal % to below 45%, we'll still win by Shaq FT shooting around 50%.

It's an interesting concept. I'll agree that the Spurs were willig to try to do anything to slow the Suns down. The Spurs conned some people into thinking they were prepared to run with the Suns, but they really can't do it for an entire game. The more athletic Hornets and Lakers exploited that.

In any case, I'm cuirous as to whether the refs will adjust how quickly they'll be willing to call intentional, off the ball fouls in the classic "no harm, no foul" theory. There doesn't seem to be an obligation to call incidental contact fouls, so why not just ignore off the ball intentional fouls.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you will see many more teams using it next year.

why? are all those teams going to have horrific foul shooters to go along with horrific defense? That's the only way Hack-A-Anyone works guys. Unfortunately with our team make-up and inability to get stops, nor have a backup who can shoot foul shots, we're screwed both ways. We're the like the perfect storm to run it against.

People kept asking why we don't Hack-A-Duncan or why the Lakers didn't this year. Ask yourself this - why did it never work on Shaq's Lakers teams for the most part (and why wouldn't they do it to Duncan or Big Ben when they were in they're primes)? It's pretty smple - teams that play good or great defense will a) get you into serious foul rouble with Hack-A, b) get you into the penalty and c) be able to get enough stops to actually turn it into an advantage, trading 1/2 for 0 points on the other end.

anyone who thought this rule was going to be change probably thought Amare wasn't going to get suspended back in 2007. I guess some things are so painful to believe that they ignore the obvious.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
why? are all those teams going to have horrific foul shooters to go along with horrific defense? That's the only way Hack-A-Anyone works guys. Unfortunately with our team make-up and inability to get stops, nor have a backup who can shoot foul shots, we're screwed both ways. We're the like the perfect storm to run it against.

People kept asking why we don't Hack-A-Duncan or why the Lakers didn't this year. Ask yourself this - why did it never work on Shaq's Lakers teams for the most part (and why wouldn't they do it to Duncan or Big Ben when they were in they're primes)? It's pretty smple - teams that play good or great defense will a) get you into serious foul rouble with Hack-A, b) get you into the penalty and c) be able to get enough stops to actually turn it into an advantage, trading 1/2 for 0 points on the other end.

anyone who thought this rule was going to be change probably thought Amare wasn't going to get suspended back in 2007. I guess some things are so painful to believe that they ignore the obvious.

Your thinking is well founded but I think it would make the NBA game much better and quicker when referees called off the ball fouls... to give the offended team the option of foul shots or possession of the ball. I've never thought the NBA should be about who shoots foul shots the best although I know it's part of the game (when a foul is called on the ball). I'm not getting caught in the Shaq controversary, however, it just seems to me a more logical extension of the game not to benefit a team who is fouling off the ball.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05