Lee?

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
I doubt we'll get Lee, and trading Barbosa or Diaw for Lee is silly.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If D'Antoni's first move in NY is to trade Lee for Diaw the fans will have his head.

Hell yeah they will. They LOVE him.

I was at a Knicks game in the Garden two years ago, and when Lee came in that place erupted like Willis Reed walked on the court or something.

nowagimp

Reaction score
Lee is perhaps a little more athletic than Kurt Thomas, but that'd hardly make him a better player than the latter. DA wouldn't play KT despite his defense and rebounding what was lacking for the Suns. It's not to say Lee wouldn't be useful for DA but just not necessarily his preferred type of big man, compared to Diaw in particular.

Also, Lee is a complementary player at best. Maybe Bo Outlaw type of fan favorites. But fanc will get over it sooner than you thought when traded.

Kurt thomas was 35 years old and played 19 minutes a game in the playoffs in 2007. Part of the reason for his limited minutes was foul trouble, KT is kind of prone to it. Any time KT exceeded 26 minutes his legs were dead, he didnt move well, but then I guess you knew that.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
They say that some forms of insanity are characterized by interpreting people and events without input, by assuming intentions and thoughts without communication. Well, by that definition, there is a form of insanity here, a confection of thought and intentions attributed without any input from the individual they are attributed to. ASFN, where insanity happens!

Nowagimp - that is the best post you have had in months.:thumbup:

Budden

Registered
Reaction score
Lee is perhaps a little more athletic than Kurt Thomas, but that'd hardly make him a better player than the latter. DA wouldn't play KT despite his defense and rebounding what was lacking for the Suns. It's not to say Lee wouldn't be useful for DA but just not necessarily his preferred type of big man, compared to Diaw in particular.

Also, Lee is a complementary player at best. Maybe Bo Outlaw type of fan favorites. But fanc will get over it sooner than you thought when traded.

Go to youtube and type in "David lee dunk contest" and you'll see just how much more athletic lee is than kurt thomas. He won the mcdonalds high school all American dunk contest! Now, I actually dont think he shouldve won, but even so... Heck, penny hardaway is slightly more athletic than kurt thomas!

You are right, I think, in saying that David lee is a complimentary player at best, and I dont believe he's the perfect fit for Coach Mike, but he loves to run the floor, he hustles his butt off, and he is great at getting pushed around down low when trying to defend bigger, stronger players. Think shawn Marion with 10th grade-level verbal skills and without the God complex.

And looking at the Knicks roster, dont you think d'antoni is going to be much more interested in getting rid of curry, Randolph, marbury, fred jones, and the other fat slobs on that team that make boris Diaw look like a hydroxycut model by comparison?

nowagimp

Reaction score
Nowagimp - that is the best post you have had in months.:thumbup:

Yeah, not much basketball talk here lately, mostly just a bunch of arguing without listening, like hysterical women. Suns fans are pretty frantic about the closing window, many think that if only the team had done what "I wanted to do", there would be a championship n Phx. However, its also likely that the suns just werent good enough a team to win in the face of things like injuries and suspensions, just not good enough.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
David Lee Sets Up Workouts With Nash

You must be registered for see images attach

May 15, 2008 - 5:34 pm
Newsday -

Knicks forward David Lee has contacted Steve Nash and will workout with Mike D'Antoni's former point guard this summer, according to a report in Newsday.

Nash is expected to help Lee learn D'Antoni's up-tempo offensive style.

"This plays perfectly into what I'm trying to do," Lee said of the system, which is similar to what he played under Billy Donovan at Florida. "My advantage against other bigs is I'm quicker and faster; I'm never going to be stronger than most of the fours or fives at this level, though I am always trying to get stronger and I will always compete physically."

Lee is entering the final year of his rookie contract, and could become a restricted free agent next summer.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is Nash's incentive to help Lee?

Because Nash is a great player and the NBA is a fraternity? Kobe works out with Magette and Iggy and others from other teams in the offseason. Bynum and Dwight Howard have both said they plan to workout together too. It's the way it goes.

We fans go off on how we hate so and so, and how it's a war and everyone is the enemy, but the players know and associate with each other on a deeper level. A lot of respect is out there.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If the rumors are true that D'Antoni wants Diaw and Barbosa, I would trade them for the #5 pick and Renaldo Balkman, they could even throw in Jared Jeffries for salary purposes. I wouldn't care about them sending Lee because the question then becomes where does he play? Shaq is the 5, Amare the 4, so he would come off the bench?

The key component in this deal is the # 5 pick because it gives us the option of getting a top notch PG in Bayless or a budding big man like DeAndre Jordan. Then allowing us to get whatever we didn't get with the 5 pick. Guys like Koufa Kostas, an offensive C, or a defensive PG like Russell Westbrook or Mario Chalmers at #15. If we had a third 1st rounder we could get a guy like Brandon Rush, but we could get a guy like Roby in the 2nd.

Why would D'Antoni give up the 5 pick? Because as we all konw he doesn't play rookies so to get a couple of his "system guys", whose salaries are more justified than guys like Zach Randolph or Eddy Curry and an owner willing to spend, it makes sense.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I wouldn't care about them sending Lee because the question then becomes where does he play? Shaq is the 5, Amare the 4, so he would come off the bench?
Didn't Lee average under 30 MPG this season? He could get more than that in a 3-man rotation with Shaq and Amare at the backup "4" and "5" positions.

It would be a hell of an improvement over Boris Diaw stuck at one of those positions. At least Lee can rebound.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
We keep hearing these names come up from the NY papers, but I've never heard anybody in the PHoenix media suggest interest in dealing Leandro and Boris to the Knicks. Lee would be a good fit on the Suns, but only as icing on a much more complicated deal.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Didn't Lee average under 30 MPG this season? He could get more than that in a 3-man rotation with Shaq and Amare at the backup "4" and "5" positions.

It would be a hell of an improvement over Boris Diaw stuck at one of those positions. At least Lee can rebound.

I know he can play the 4, but he cannot play the 5. Granted Amare is always in foul trouble, a guy like Lee should be starting. Unless we are considering another big deal involving Amare, Balkman who starts at the 3, Jefferies who is a bench player could back up Amare & Shaq and the #5 would be good enough for me. If NY gives us Lee and the new coach can find a way to use him then great.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You know,if there's a way that D'Antoni/Walsh could put Shawn Marion in a KNICKS uniform next season i could see that going down. D.Lee is a dirt worker but DA would definately prefer a dirt worker who can play 3 positions. That way he doesn't have to give Curry any minutes........ever.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldnt be surprised if D'Antoni chases a resigned Marion (4 year 65 Million).

A trade with Heat, Marbury, an expiring.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldnt be surprised if D'Antoni chases a resigned Marion (4 year 65 Million).

I could see that. Marion was a big part of Mike's system here. But can you see Marion's insecurity in NYC. Train wreck.

mack2323

Reaction score

It may happen, but you it doesn't make sense if you trade an expiring cotract to an expiring contract. It make sense if i'ts Randolphs contract to Marion. There are few teams including the Clipper who would like to take Randolph's contract. His contract can be move around year after year to play in trades. Team doesn't want to go way below salary cap because they dont want to a lottery team for a long time. Don't be surprise if Shaq get traded before his contracts end.

I could see that. Marion was a big part of Mike's system here. But can you see Marion's insecurity in NYC. Train wreck.

Not for 65 million extension and style of play. Marion's play only thrives in an uptempo style of game and he knows that. He can only get this kind of money from New York. Or, he can sign as a free agent to the team who made the highest bid and risk of ending up to different teams season after season ( same reason as Zach Randolphs ).

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Just to make sure I understand you correctly, are you saying that Jeffries is more of a center than Lee?

Jeffries has the length to play the five, Lee is 6-8, he may have hops but he isn't know as a shot blocker. Jefferies may not either but atleast he is 6'11 with long arms so he has potential.

OP
OP
cly2tw

cly2tw

Reaction score

If they draft Rosen, there might be a chance for Marion to end up in NY. But he got to check in his ego at the counter before joining DA again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05