Let the fun begin: 9ers Smith to seek release

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Cardinal running backs haven't set the world on fire, but the offensive line has been bad at BOTH run blocking and pass protection. It sounds like Bruce Arians is well aware of the problem and will be addressing it. I just hope he and Steve Keim aren't delusional enough to think all it takes is more and better coaching. A talent infusion is also most definitely in order.

True, but they averaged over 4 yards per carry 2010 and 2011 which is the first time in years that a Cardinal offense has done that for two consecutive seasons.

On the other hand there were several instances of 20 yard runs followed by 5 one yard runs and they seldom seemed to be able to do anything in short yardage situations.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Smith wants AZ according to Bay Area people. Not sure if it'll happen though with the Kolbcussion albatross hanging around our neck.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Smith wants AZ according to Bay Area people. Not sure if it'll happen though with the Kolbcussion albatross hanging around our neck.

Totally believable. He's from San Diego so it's not that far from home. There's a starting job available, and he'd probably love to stick it to SF and play against them.

I don't want him here but I can sure get why he'd want to be a Cardinal.

I still say he should have kept his mouth shut until after the game.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
OK I'll be first to say it. I think Alex Smith is being a major doofus on this. I thought he basically handled it ok being benched, but now this is twice in a week he's done this. first he said he was very disappointed in the handling of it and that it was bittersweet making the Super Bowl as a backup. now saying he's asking for his release.

He can't wait until after the game? I get there's tons of press around and they ask questions but play the damn game first. who knows, what if Kaepernick gets hurt and you have to go into the game, don't you want your teammates and coaches to have your back and not be mad that you popped off?

I get it's a business but it's not like teams that might want him didn't already assume he'd be available somehow.
Alex Smith just said he never asked to be released.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, count me out. He's a mediocre QB, and I don't see him being anywhere near an upgrade to Kolb.
not an upgrade over Kevin Kolb?
You must be registered for see images

That almost as bad as saying John Skelton has a higher ceiling than Alex Smith!
:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:
as some posters were saying before the start of this past season..

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

And I can't find any articles that say he did. Just things like he wants to be released not traded. All of this also from unnamed sources used by Mike Florio.

The deal probably went like this. Reporter "so what do you hear about Smith being traded?" UNS "Well I think Smith would rather be released than traded because then he could pick which team he went to and would probably ask the 49ers to do that for him."

Which translates to this headline: "Alex Smith will ask for his release from the 49ers".

That Alex Smith was talking about this prior to the game was probably in the same article that said Ryan was going to be DC in St.Louis and Andy Reid was going to be the next HC in Arizona.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
My Prediction...

Niners will trade him to get value back, and they won't deal with a division rival.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He did say he was feeling a bit bittersweet making his first Superbowl but not starting which again I completely get, but keep your mouth shut until after the game.

Said the same thing wehn Boldin was complaining about his usage here during the Superbowl year.

Be a team player, then after the season take care of yourself.

MoeIsBetter

SPA Co-Commishioner
Reaction score
And I can't find any articles that say he did. Just things like he wants to be released not traded. All of this also from unnamed sources used by Mike Florio.

The deal probably went like this. Reporter "so what do you hear about Smith being traded?" UNS "Well I think Smith would rather be released than traded because then he could pick which team he went to and would probably ask the 49ers to do that for him."

Which translates to this headline: "Alex Smith will ask for his release from the 49ers".

That Alex Smith was talking about this prior to the game was probably in the same article that said Ryan was going to be DC in St.Louis and Andy Reid was going to be the next HC in Arizona.

He wants to be released because he can latch onto a team at any point rather than wait till FA starts. If he could get traded to a team like the Cardinals, he'd take that before anything cause he keeps his pay-day for next season at $9 Mill.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He wants to be released because he can latch onto a team at any point rather than wait till FA starts. If he could get traded to a team like the Cardinals, he'd take that before anything cause he keeps his pay-day for next season at $9 Mill.

Actually, he would want to be released because then he can get a bigger signing bonus than the $1 mil that the 49ers will have to pay him. He would get a much larger payday, in actual money, if he is released.

No way he wants the 49ers to pay the bonus and then trade him under his current contract terms.

Hopper15

Rookie
Reaction score
not an upgrade over Kevin Kolb?
You must be registered for see images

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:
as some posters were saying before the start of this past season..

He's not unless you think Jim Harbaugh is coming with him to AZ. Ask yourself, what has Alex Smith done outside of his tenure with Harbaugh?

Harbaugh simply knows how to get the best out of his QB's.

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Not really a reach when you consider that in the last Cards-49ers game in 2011 Skelton was 20-29-284 yards and 3 TDs and Smith was 18-37-175 yards an no TDs and the Cardinals won.

:p

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's not unless you think Jim Harbaugh is coming with him to AZ. Ask yourself, what has Alex Smith done outside of his tenure with Harbaugh?

Fair enough... but the implication is that (a) Bruce Arians does NOT get the best out of his QB's, at least not as well as Harbaugh; and (b) nevertheless, you'd rather have Bruce Arians try to get the best out of a 2nd day pick in a weak rookie class, or out of some other available veteran who has never come close to Alex Smith's 104 passer rating this year.

I say bring in Smith, get the most out of him to at least stabilize the O, and keep him until the time comes when someone better is available or a rookie has been coached up who can run the offense better than Smith. In other words, do exactly what the 49ers did to get to the brink of the Super Bowl last year, and into it this year.

...dave

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Exactly coaching coaching coaching coaching.
When did Alex ever have a coach that was worth a darn? Nolan?LOL! Singletary? LMAO!
Lets not forget that one of those coaches had Alex smith lifting weights on a broken shoulder.
Hes such a good coach.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
And who's that franchise guy? I for one don't trust any QB in this draft to come in and be a day 1 starter.

I think Geno Smith is the closest and having Arians work with him for a year while Kolb starts would make him a QBOF. I think Geno could come in and start now, but why risk getting him killed behind that line.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly coaching coaching coaching coaching.
When did Alex ever have a coach that was worth a darn? Nolan?LOL! Singletary? LMAO!
Lets not forget that one of those coaches had Alex smith lifting weights on a broken shoulder.

Hes such a good coach.

Is that Jordan laughing before or after he took Kwame Brown #1 overall?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Actually, he would want to be released because then he can get a bigger signing bonus than the $1 mil that the 49ers will have to pay him. He would get a much larger payday, in actual money, if he is released.

No way he wants the 49ers to pay the bonus and then trade him under his current contract terms.
Actually, the way Smith's deal is structured, he gets $1 million from San Francisco whether he's on the roster or cut, but if he's on the roster on April 1 (or something), his full $9 million salary is guaranteed in 2013.

It's a great deal for San Francisco; they can see if there's a better backup out there, or find out if there's a trade possibility for someone looking for a suitor after the first run in free agency but looking for some surety before the draft.

Really, really smart on behalf of Trent Baalke and the 49ers front office. IMO they're one of if not the top front offices in the NFL.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Ian Rapport on NFL Network just said that Alex Smith will be allowed to seek a trade and if one does not materialize fairly quickly they will release him. Niners front office, Smith, and his agent Condon have great respect for each other and have great relationships thus the Niners will not drag it out, out of respect. Exact quote "They believe he's earned the right to pick a team"

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Fair enough... but the implication is that (a) Bruce Arians does NOT get the best out of his QB's, at least not as well as Harbaugh; and (b) nevertheless, you'd rather have Bruce Arians try to get the best out of a 2nd day pick in a weak rookie class, or out of some other available veteran who has never come close to Alex Smith's 104 passer rating this year.

I say bring in Smith, get the most out of him to at least stabilize the O, and keep him until the time comes when someone better is available or a rookie has been coached up who can run the offense better than Smith. In other words, do exactly what the 49ers did to get to the brink of the Super Bowl last year, and into it this year.

...dave

...we also have a guy named Moore drifting around our building now too :)

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
http://tracking.si.com/2013/01/28/a...kaepernick-super-bowl/?sct=hp_t2_a6&eref=sihp

I'd be fine w/ landing Smith and have a QB trio of:

Smith
Kolb - if healthy and restructures
Draft pick - Wilson, Smith, etc..

SF is in the best position of all worlds as Smith is a QB who will be in great demand and would likely bring a 1st, 2nd, and even 3rd in a trade. He is likely much better than any in the draft and there are a lot of would be takers for him including us. He would likely go to a decent team and not to a would be team like us. He also would be a great backup for SF for at least one season as there QB is a running QB and could easily get injured as running QBs have a tendency to do. We should have such problems as SF.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Actually, the way Smith's deal is structured, he gets $1 million from San Francisco whether he's on the roster or cut, but if he's on the roster on April 1 (or something), his full $9 million salary is guaranteed in 2013.

It's a great deal for San Francisco; they can see if there's a better backup out there, or find out if there's a trade possibility for someone looking for a suitor after the first run in free agency but looking for some surety before the draft.

Really, really smart on behalf of Trent Baalke and the 49ers front office. IMO they're one of if not the top front offices in the NFL.

He will still get ANOTHER signing bonus and contract if he's released. Of course, getting the $1 mil and then $9 mil if they don't release him wouldn't be bad either :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sparky