Listen Links: Dennis Green Pre Draft Media Conference (Tues, 04-19, 1pm PT)

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Talked about successful redzone running being the difference in 4 losses last year.

Talking about Matt Jones now, seen him play WR in the Senior Bowl, could move to TE. DG says "I'll predict he could even be a safety."

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Justin Miller might outgrow WR, we've seen him play lots of positions. Maybe TE. Might outgrow S.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Keeps bringing up how teams that have been succesfull dont have 1st round CBs or how a lot of the good CB's in the league were not 1st round draft picks. I keep getting the feeling that the RB's and or DJ are at the top of his board ahead of the CB's.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
abomb said:
Justin Miller might outgrow WR, we've seen him play lots of positions. Maybe TE. Might outgrow S.

I think you mean Jones.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
abomb said:

Matt Jones not Miller.

Lenny_Biscuit

Rookie
Reaction score
I think it is obvious what they would like to do if you use the philosophy that everything a team says before the draft is a lie.

They build up Derrick Johnson giving teams behind us the threat of us taking him. They downplay cornerbacks saying we could get one in the later rounds.

I think RG and DG would like to trade down a few spots to give someone the opportunity to get Derrick Johnson and pick up an extra pick. If they trade down a few spots a corner that they like will still be there.

This is not like last years draft. If Dennis Green says he likes someone this year I would bet he doesn't plan on taking them.

Reaction score
40yearfan said:
Jim, I wish you guys would get something besides RealPlayer for your hook-up. I don't have it on either computer (work or home). I can't put any software on my work computer and putting RealPlayer on Windows 2000ME does strange things to it, so I can't load it on my home computer either. The Cards should use the Windows Media Player as everyone has that.

I believe it is a NFL league-wide deal. I've asked repeatedly with no response, so I'm guessing that Jim O is "restricted". I freakin' hate RealPlayer! Can't load it at work, and refuse to load it at home!

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
CardLogic said:
I freakin' hate RealPlayer! Can't load it at work, and refuse to load it at home!

This was my stance as well until I learned that Real has really purged their software from what it used to be. No more spyware, no crazy file associations. Just do a custom install and you wont have any issues. Trust me, I hated it as much as you do.

A-Bomb

Reaction score
RECAP:

So basically the draft is deep at the positions we need.

Green spoke VERY highly of Derrick Johnson just now for what it's worth.

No one ruled out at starting QB.

Now he's talking about how well prepared the "group" of 2005 draft prospects is. I "think" he's praising them but I'm not sure he's not being sarcastic about all the trainers for the combine stuff.
Keeps saying best player, don't rule anybody out, "you can always use a guy who can play."

He also mentioned Justin Miller in the CB mix with the top 3. Looking at possible trade down scenerios maybe.

When asked if he could come out of the draft w/o an OLB, he said certainly. The question is "Is this player going to help us be better?"
"We want to be a significant entity."

"I would never make a move that I didnt believe would make us better"
"every man has to carry his own water"

"Travis Henry is the best second-stringer in the NFL."
"Deal still possible"

Henry deal still on the table for the right trade scenerio.
Called Henry the best backup RB in the league, posturing?

"Travis Henry is probably the best backup RB in the National Football League" right now. Said he hopes the trade can be resolved because he's a good football league. Also says he thinks that Henry has long felt he was drafted too low, didn't make as much money as he should have, and is looking for a new home now.
Seems to genuinely like Henry but clearly doesn't want to imply he's going to bend over for Buffalo.

Carlos Dansby was 25th best player on his board last year, taken at 32. It can happen again.

Benson and Brown more workhorse style backs.
Bennett is fast and DG raves about him.
Caddy is a combo.

Said Dansby was the 25th ranked player on their board last year and was the highest player left on our baord when we picked him up. Same thing will happen with the #44 pick and so on.

Talked about successful redzone running being the difference in 4 losses last year.

Talking about Matt Jones now, seen him play WR in the Senior Bowl, could move to TE. DG says "I'll predict he could even be a safety."
Matt Jones might outgrow WR, we've seen him play lots of positions. Maybe TE. Might outgrow S.

Keeps bringing up how teams that have been succesfull dont have 1st round CBs or how a lot of the good CB's in the league were not 1st round draft picks. I keep getting the feeling that the RB's and or DJ are at the top of his board ahead of the CB's.