Lucas Tischer signs with Phoenix Suns?

planaria

Rookie
Reaction score
The news is from: http://latinbasket.com/bra/bra.asp

Lucas Tischer goes to the Phoenix Suns - July 19, 2005 - by Interperformances
6’10” center, Lucas Tischer (207-C-83, agency: Interperformances) has agreed to terms of a 2 year contract with the Phoenix Suns in the NBA. With his athletic skills, the 22 year old Brazilian is a perfect fit for the fast paced game of the Suns under Mike D’Antoni. Lucas has gotten needed experience at the Reebok Vegas Summer League.

Has somebody more info about it?

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
ladies and gentleman: your new paul shirley. maybe he'll blog in portuguese...

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The one game I saw him play in the summer league, I wasn't impressed with his skills. However, he does have an NBA body. Looked like the biggest guy on the team for the Suns. Kind of reminds me of a younger Jake Voshkul! :D

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Here is a Brazilian article I found that has been translated.

Lucas Tischer is praised by trainer of the Phoenix

You must be registered for see images

Tischer (of coasts) tries to block Gerald Green, of the Boston

Counting on two Brazilians in its cast, the Phoenix Suns locks up its participation in the league of summer of Las Vegas in this friday, against the Golden State Warriors. While Leandrinho is observed intently by the commission technique of the team of Arizona, Lucas Tischer tries to impress the trainers in search of a vacant in the cast.

In interview to the site of the Suns, the assistant appraiser Marc Iavaroni, who dirige the teams in the match, praised the Brazilian pivot, of 22 years, but it did not assure its participation in the daily pay-season.

"We have one face that it came of Brazil, the Lucas Tischer, that is a very good athlete. It jumps very, attacks the hoop and for many times the people ask surprises: Vocês capsizes that? (laughs). It has a jump fast e one hurls decent, but still he is developing its game. Has a long way for the front, who knows? It can be a candidate ", affirmed Iavaroni.

The trainer also detached the performances of the sections Steven Graham and Dijon Thompson - selected by the Phoenix in the second round of draft of this year.

In accordance with the new rules established between the surmountings and the association of players of the NBA, each team will need to have 14 players in its cast. Today, the Phoenix has only eight players under contract: Dijon Thompson, Steve Nash, Leandrinho, Jim Jackson, Shawn Marion, Land on water Stoudemire, Kurt Thomas and Jake Voskuhl, beyond an agreement with Raja Bell.

Sobram, then, six vacant to be filled. It is the doubt if the teams will obtain to hold the section Joe Johnson, who must receive proposal heavy from the Atlanta Hawks. Tischer concurred for the first time for draft of the NBA, but it was not selected, even so has carried through good treinos with seven teams of the North American league, also the Suns. In accordance with the statisticians (not very trustworthy) of the site of the league of summer of Las Vegas, the Brazilian pivot has averages of 4.2 points, 3,6 rebotes and 0,2 I touch in 13 minutes.

LoganMo

Reaction score
He looked great on offense in the last summer league game when the team made an effort to get him the ball. He in no way reminded me of Jake Voskuhl. He is 10x more athletic than Voskuhl, and not nearly as skilled at this point. He was the most impressive player on any team in warm-ups, but didn't get any consistent playing time. His potential alone is reason enough to lock him up on a minimum contract.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
is it just me, or does he look like the love child of joe klein if joe could have reproduced with himself?

Quagmire

The thread killa strikes again
Reaction score
"Land on water" Stoudemire

[/QUOTE]

That nickname sucks!

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
LoganMo said:
He looked great on offense in the last summer league game when the team made an effort to get him the ball. He in no way reminded me of Jake Voskuhl. He is 10x more athletic than Voskuhl, and not nearly as skilled at this point. He was the most impressive player on any team in warm-ups, but didn't get any consistent playing time. His potential alone is reason enough to lock him up on a minimum contract.
I'm just going from game play against Boston. I didn't watch the warm ups or I may have been more impressed! I was impressed by his size when he came into the game. Then he almost air mailed a free throw, commited a turn over, and fouled on the other end after standing under the rim in the lane. All that happened in like a two minute span after I saw him enter the game. I thought at the time, this guy is like a poor man's Jake Voshkul! :D

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
is it just me, or does he look like the love child of joe klein if joe could have reproduced with himself?
He's the illegitamate love child of Joe Klein and Luc Longley! :D

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This guy has NBDL written all over him.

Ouchie-Z-Clown said:

Reproduction by masturbation? That would be frightening. Millions of teenage boys all over the world would be getting knocked up. :)

Joe Mama

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The translation itself made the article entertaining.

It is the doubt if the teams will obtain to hold the section Joe Johnson, who must receive proposal heavy from the Atlanta Hawks.

Is that great or what? :notworthy

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
All joking aside, this should have been on the front page of the site yesterday seeing as how Planaria scooped the Arizona Republic by a whole day! We could have put it in the breaking news area! ;)

Errntknght

Reaction score
I'm not unhappy with signing Tischer but there were several other bigs from VSL that I'd prefer based on the writeups and Graham sounds like he's worth a further look as well.

I read a couple of days ago that second rounds picks in this draft were going at exceptionally high prices so it appears that most teams figured out that it was a very deep draft. The Suns seem to have been merrily ignorant of that and didn't bother doing their homework on second rounders. The same level of diligence they applied to the Q/KT trade that cost them their first round pick. And both are fitting follow ons to their complete misjudging of the draft last year and of Chicago's ability to compete. (They claimed they had Vroman ranked 15th in the draft, when they were patting themselves on the back.) Someone remind me what it is these guys do for a living...

OP
OP
P

planaria

Rookie
Reaction score
Lucas increased his stock a lot after he had gone to the workouts in USA, some days before the draft.

I can remember that Nets president told to NJ press that never had seen a leaper like Tischer in that gym before.

A couple of days before the draft, Chad Ford told that Tischer could be even a first round material:

LUCAS TISCHER
NBA.com profile

The measurements: 6-10, 270
The skinny: "The biggest sleeper on draft night could be Brazilian Lucas Tischer, a 6-foot-10, 270-pound big man who has tested off the charts athletically in workouts," ESPN Insider's Chad Ford wrote this morning. Tischer has the size to be a force in the paint and is still a good athlete, but his skills are not up to par, particularly on the offensive end of the court. A lot of teams aren't looking for much offense from their centers, however, and will be willing to let Tischer grow into his game at that end of the court. Tischer will likely go in the second round, but the possibility that he sneaks into the first round can't be ruled out.

If this guy turn in a Eduardo Najera type of player (what doesn't looks so difficult for him), he'll be a bargain for the Phoenix Suns.

sunsfn

Reaction score
Errntknght said:
I'm not unhappy with signing Tischer but there were several other bigs from VSL that I'd prefer based on the writeups and Graham sounds like he's worth a further look as well.

I read a couple of days ago that second rounds picks in this draft were going at exceptionally high prices so it appears that most teams figured out that it was a very deep draft. The Suns seem to have been merrily ignorant of that and didn't bother doing their homework on second rounders. The same level of diligence they applied to the Q/KT trade that cost them their first round pick. And both are fitting follow ons to their complete misjudging of the draft last year and of Chicago's ability to compete. (They claimed they had Vroman ranked 15th in the draft, when they were patting themselves on the back.) Someone remind me what it is these guys do for a living...

Errntknght,
I think this is one year that the suns did not want a lot of draft picks. They signed Tischer and will probably sign Graham.
They signed Bell as a veteran player and will sign another big that will be a veteran.
That puts them close to the 13-14 players they will carry.

By the way the suns do know the value of the 2nd round picks this year. They sold that 2nd round pick for $500,000. So, they picked up $500,000, sign Tischer and probably Graham without drafting them, and will probably pay them less money then if they had drafted them, not bad.

-

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
sunsfn said:
Errntknght,
I think this is one year that the suns did not want a lot of draft picks. They signed Tischer and will probably sign Graham.
They signed Bell as a veteran player and will sign another big that will be a veteran.

By the way the suns do know the value of the 2nd round picks this year. They sold that 2nd round pick for $500,000. So, they picked up $500,000, sign Tischer and probably Graham without drafting them, and will probably pay them less money then if they had drafted them, not bad.

-

Some people call it cheap, others call it thrifty.

LoganMo

Reaction score
Is he 230 pounds or 270?

At 230 he is a PF, but at 270 with any kind of athleticism he's a center.

He looked more like a power forward to me, probably somewhere between 240 and 250. He seemed to be roughly the same size as Ike Diogu. He has the athleticism to play center if need be, but there were plenty of bigs in Las Vegas who were more impressive in stature.

OP
OP
P

planaria

Rookie
Reaction score
I found a photo from Brazilian National League:

Lucas Tischer is the #99

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
sunsfn said:
Errntknght,

-

In the Celtics game, neither looked like NBA players - both will show a move here and there but Toby Bailey had some of his own highlights: Tischer has some size and had 1 decent dunk, 1 decent pass, but he looks raw on defensive end. Most of Graham's best moves, were ones he didn't finish play, although he had 1 decent pass in open court, and showed good defense (but he also bricked every perimeter shot)... both had around 5 PTS, and not much else.

Next game on Tv, I believe they improved much more stat wise but it is Summer League. The Suns team isn't loaded and someone is going to put up stats, now that Barbosa is gone...

The team could've easily Drafted a key role player with that Pick, because I've been much more impressed with some of the guys, I've been watching... but I already knew Badsen was pretty good. If not use both Picks to Trade up, if they've become so cheap... Blatche, Gomes, Taft, etc. are all looking good. Even Diener is supposedly looking great (I haven't seen him yet)...

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Early in the draft discussion I pushed for trading down to get a couple of early second rounders. My hypothesis that they would be as good as the guys in the early 20's is beginning to look reasonable, but it is early days.

However, I got the impression that most GM's had similar view. Trading up into the early second round was likely to be a lot more expensive than usual. (It looks like trading that pick for McCarty was a serious mistake).

Graham seems likely to get a training camp invite. As for more, obviously he will have to play a lot better to make the team.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05