Lucas Tischer signs with Phoenix Suns?

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
Is he 230 pounds or 270?

At 230 he is a PF, but at 270 with any kind of athleticism he's a center.

In the SL games he looked closer to 270(though more like 250-260) than 230.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
planaria said:
If this guy turn in a Eduardo Najera type of player (what doesn't looks so difficult for him), he'll be a bargain for the Phoenix Suns.

you're right. unfortunately this guy is not najera. najera played at oklahoma and received excellent coaching from kelvin sampson. the difference between najera who played a lot of basketball and then had an excellent defensive minded coach at the big twelve level where he excelled and a dude like tischer who has only been playing hoops for 5 years is a chasm so wide evel knievel wouldn't have tried to span it in his rocketcycle back in the day.

OP
OP
P

planaria

Rookie
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
you're right. unfortunately this guy is not najera. najera played at oklahoma and received excellent coaching from kelvin sampson. the difference between najera who played a lot of basketball and then had an excellent defensive minded coach at the big twelve level where he excelled and a dude like tischer who has only been playing hoops for 5 years is a chasm so wide evel knievel wouldn't have tried to span it in his rocketcycle back in the day.

Even been a former NCAA player with a good coach (don't forget he used to hate his coach at Oklahoma), Najera still being a very limited player. Some things you can't teach...

Of course, I'm not talking Tischer is better than Najera, but he's just 22. Najera is going for 30's and until this moment didn't show a lot more than hustle in the court.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
planaria said:
Even been a former NCAA player with a good coach (don't forget he used to hate his coach at Oklahoma), Najera still being a very limited player. Some things you can't teach...

Of course, I'm not talking Tischer is better than Najera, but he's just 22. Najera is going for 30's and until this moment didn't show a lot more than hustle in the court.

najera just turned 29 and has always shown the ability to be a good role player. not certain what "until this moment" means, but it doesn't give najera enough credit. and i have no idea where the najera hated sampson talk comes from. from what i recall sampson really wanted najera to stay. and you can't discount his experience at oklahoma just b/c he hated (if true) his coach.

i'll be shocked if tischer ever becomes anything more than daniel santiago, horatio llamas and their ilk. and that has nothing to do with their being hispanic and everything to do with their basketball background and relative skills when they came to the nba.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
Just watched 1st Half of Game 2 of Tv schedule...

Dijon Thompson really wasn't involved much at all, and after looking at stats, that's not going to change but 3rd telivised game, he rebounds with 10 PTS lol

Lucas Tischer, I really didn't key on anybody the 1st Game but I sort of kept eye on Tischer and it's probably a good thing the Suns signed him, he moves pretty well (assuming he's a legit 6'10 260) and the 3rd game has 15 PTS, so NBDL or a 13th Bo Outlaw role isn't that bad... IF the Suns at least sign a DECENT big that has experience. With KT, Stat, and 1 decent F/C - Tischer could easily be the 4th Center off bench, earning minutes with that athleticism... don't expect too much and he's really a more athletic Jake Tsakalidis.

Stephen Graham, he has enough tools to be a 12th-13th or NBDL player (minus shooting) BUT with Thompson's ability to shoot and give a few decent minutes (the team has 4 quality G/F's and Barbosa can play SG) both could make the team. He can handle and drive, didn't really get to watch defense much but he just can't shoot... at least not in these type of games. I really haven't seen anybody shoot from 3PT great... I'd take the chance with 2 year contract that he can improve in that area or if not you're looking at a defender with NBA skills (minus shooting) and with roster being 14-15 deep (?) and Suns now being cheap lol a 12th to NBDL player...

Which makes my roster look like this:

Thomas F/C
Stoudemire F/C
Marion F
Johnson G/F
Nash PG

Jackson G/F
Bell SG
Barbosa G
F/C
F/C or PG
Thompson G/F
Graham F
Tischer C

I'd prefer a F/C with 10th but a decent cheap experienced PG and the team would be set at 1-4 (Johnson ,Thompson, and Graham can play the 4 limited minutes)... but the team would need a solid F/C at 9th (via the $1.7 Mill exemption) if they went that route because while Marion, Johnson, Thompson, Graham, etc. can give minutes there at PF... only KT, Stat, and Tischer can play Center and they'd need a good F/C off bench.

I'm thinking Tischer shows some talent with 3rd game (15 PTS) and with raw skills, that's why he was signed. I figured after spending MLE on Bell, the team doesn't really think they need bigs and expect to sign 1 with the LLE.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was looking at him last night in that game. My guess is that Tischer is somewhere in the 230-240 range. He sure doesn't look like he weighs 260 pounds.

I still like Katelynas because of his outside shooting (I believe he's hit every three-pointer I've seen him take... even if that is only 2-3 of them... he has a beautiful shot), he's got nice size at 6-9, and he's very athletic. If I could pick three players off the summer league team to put in the NBDL they would be Graham, Tischer, and this guy.

BTW I haven't watched the entire game yet either.

Joe

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
I love this signing. Tischer is a perfect fit for the new NBDL: he's got all of the physical tools to be a good NBA player, but he's had so little coaching, he'd never make it without minor league experience.

Tischer might have a Chris Anderson-like impact with a couple of NBDL years under his belt.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Suns sign Katelynas over Graham for their other NBDL spot. I doubt Graham will ever crack the Suns' rotation, no matter how dominating he is in summer league.

Besides, the Suns already have Dijon Thompson at SG/SF. :mad:

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
I wouldn't mind seeing the Suns sign Katelynas over Graham for their other NBDL spot. I doubt Graham will ever crack the Suns' rotation, no matter how dominating he is in summer league.

:mad:

I think Graham could replace JJ2 next season if Jackson is not resigned. I year in the NBDL should prove enough for Graham.

LoganMo

Reaction score
FWIW, from what I saw, Graham was considerably better than Katelynas in almost every aspect of the game. Granted, my opinion is based on watching just two summer league games, but I really don't think the two are in the same league.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Given the choice I would rather keep Graham. Frankly, if it was up to me he would have been signed before Thompson.

Joe Mama

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I watched the second half of the Denver game tonight. I really like Stephen Graham. He can really handle the basketball, has a great first step to the basket, a nice midrange shot, and good passing skills. He also plays strong defense. I've only seen two Phoenix Suns summer league games so far, but he's been my favorite player. Right now I would rather have him than Thompson.

I'll get to see the last game tomorrow.

Joe Mama

Dustbuster

Veteran
Reaction score
Ron Slay looks like he could play a Walter McCarty type role on the team. Because of his size he would actually suit the team more than Graham at the moment, although Graham undoubtedly has more potential. I would actually like Lonnie Jones to be our next undrafted signing - he played just great for Houston in the summer leagues...and Houston doesn't really need him, with Yao, Swift, JHoward, Weatherspoon, Vin Baker, and probably a resigned Mutombo. Their needs are more in the guard arena.

LoganMo

Reaction score
There are plenty of reasons why the Suns might want to sign Ron Slay, but size is not one of them. He is listed at 6'8, which is undersized in its own right, but I would be shocked if he was actually a hair over 6'6. He plays bigger than Graham, but I'm really not sure he is any bigger.

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dustbuster said:
I would actually like Lonnie Jones to be our next undrafted signing - he played just great for Houston in the summer leagues...
I thought Lonnie Jones was injured which is why he didn't play with the Suns in Vegas. Do you mean Lonny Baxter?

sunsfn

Reaction score
If I remember right, because Lonnie Jones was injured and could not play in the summer league, he is going to be in the suns pre season camp.

Anybody, Joe......:shrug:

Dustbuster

Veteran
Reaction score
nm132 said:
I thought Lonnie Jones was injured which is why he didn't play with the Suns in Vegas. Do you mean Lonny Baxter?

Baxter would be the man...my mistake.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dustbuster said:
Baxter would be the man...my mistake.

Dustbuster, you scared me to death. Lonnie Jones and any other big man trying to get some attention would be fools not to want to play for the Phoenix Suns. It's obvious they are going to need some help in the frontcourt, and they're going to get a lot of national attention next season.

Lonnie Jones will be the Phoenix Suns secret weapon next season. Oh yes he will. :)

Joe Mama

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
Dijon Thompson looks much better in the 3rd televised game... Graham looks decent but he's starting to play with the ball a little bit, that's why I like Thompson for the Suns season. He gets the ball and shoots if he has shot but then gives up ball, if not... right now, I've only seen 1 jumpshot from Graham and he can drive on Summer League teams but when teams start scouting his inability to shoot for now... he could struggle.

Graham does have some skill, that's for sure though but I'm thinking he's more of a NBDL guy, or bottom of bench and Thompson will fit in, not playing large minutes but giving a more athletic Casey Jacobsen type of role. Graham needs work on that jumper...

Tischer, I really like how he moves but he does look shorter and shorter every game :) I've only seen 1 basket so far (end of 1st Half) but he ends up with 15, so he's most likely going to put on a show. He had a nice jumphook and gets up and down floor well, blocked 1 Diogu shot, although he got called for foul - OT but Diogu is getting way too respect from the officials...

The 3 guys I like best are Thompson, Graham, and Tischer; and up until now Tischer hasn't put up the stats but 2nd Half should be fun... Slay and Joe Mama's boy are nice (not even going to try spelling that) but Slay doesn't have great shooting ability, no great size/athleticism, and I think I rather see Tischer, Lonnie Jones (although never seen the guy) and whoever they get for Voskuhl or replace him with. Katelynas isn't that bad but I haven't seen a whole lot of stats out of him? That guy shouldn't be playing PF... he's more of a perimeter guy and I really haven't got to see, if he can defend legit SF's or penetrate... but puter is crashing.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
I was impressed by Lucas Tischer that 4th Quarter... enough that I think he'll easily make Roster. The Suns aren't going to be bringing in big time players with the remaining roster and are looking for cheaps and he may never turn into a great player but showed a lot in 1 quarter.

Keep in mind that I was impressed with him enough, that he's not a 1 Quarter "star" but he's more of the Jake Voskuhl type of 2nd Rounder that can come in and not hurt team and is much more athletic than Tsakalidis, Voskuhl, etc... he'll have to improve rebounding to earn minutes but is perfect for 4th bigman on roster.

He's showed a few good passes, the athleticism with decent size, made a few mid-range jumpers, runs court well (he never played a lot of minutes - so watch endurance but how many minutes do you expect), he gives enough space to NBA PF's to let them shoot from 18 feet but will contest every jumpshot (sort of what I think the team should do more, let them shoot from outside), and is tough... I'd like to see more shotblocking with that athleticism but will settle for improved rebounding.

Not bad scouting, because it's obvious they are on the cheap. I'm kind of hoping the team goes after Lonnie Jones now (never seen him play though) and then Stephen Graham is NBDL material, sign him possibly...

Keep in mind as well, I'm not a scout, only on ASFN :D Just don't expect too much but much better than getting a whole bunch of 10 year vets that will sit on bench... I like Tischer. The Suns still need to use the LLE though ;) or whatever it is called?

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO if Tischer gets any playing time on the regular-season Phoenix Suns roster they are in trouble. He is very, very raw. He needs to spend every minute working on his game in the NBDL. If it was up to me the only player from the summer league team I would have signed to a contract thus far would be Stephen Graham.

Joe Mama

Last edited:

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
I like Graham but he really needs to improve shooting, although he started to hit some jumpers... but he shot a lot of em.

Chad, IMO I've been upset for awhile with how things are going right now but I don't see too many better players the team can sign for that cheap (he's probably making around $200,000-400,000). 10 year vets wouldn't be that much more expensive but I'm not sure who's available...

I wouldn't mind: LLE big, Lonnie Jones, and Lucas Tischer

The LLE "big" wouldn't be great but he'd have experience, although losing Steven Hunter is going to hurt. Re-signing Hunter and having Tischer on roster is good for me...

LoganMo

Reaction score
I like Tischer too, but don't forget that he was guarding Diogu for most of his 37 that game.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
I didn't think he did that bad on Diogu, Ike got a whole bunch of calls and scored on everybody (Tischer only played 17 minutes) and Diogu should score well, in Summer League...

Diogu really impressed with rebounding :) everything else, will probably drop a notch, when he gets to NBA though but he could get ROY.