Make it or Break it time for Josh.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is make it or break it time for Josh McCown. He is the starter and getting all the reps in practice. We have been posting our pro's and cons on Josh for the last several years.
Bottom line is that a good winning game will keep him as our starter and who knows how long? I was in Minneapolis cheering for the Vikings when Brad Johnson went down with an injury and Randall Cunningham took over and became the NFL MVP in 1998. Denny stayed with him even after Johnson came back! I'm not saying this will happen or that the teams were equal just saying that this is the time for Josh to show that he belongs in the NFL and as a starter. I sincerely hope that he steps up and leads the Cards to their first victory :thumbup:

Last edited:

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
Rohan Davey did in interview very good one on G & A if Josh fails this week start Rohan. Passing defenses don't get any worse then the 49ers, there on pace to give up 6,000+ yards and 63 TD's this year. That is before they lost there best CB and JP got banged up again. Rohan said he used the same exact offense at LSU, all he needs is to get the terminoligy down. Said he had a great time learning from Brady, Belicheck, and Weis in NE. He said he see's a bunch of other QB's in the league and thinks he can do better then them. All he wants is to start now. Plus he can throw the ball 89 yards, 70 from his knees.

Just seams like every game has been a Make or Break for McCown and the only constant is his poor performances. There is no exuses for Josh this game.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
sigh...break it

If we know Josh is not our QB for the future Davey, Navarre, or possibly Rivers in a trade should be established so at least some accurate decisions can be made this off season. Evaluation of keepers is of the most important in whats looking like a wasted season......

Second Deck

Registered
Reaction score
I still have some faith in Josh. To me he has to start stepping up in the pocket and stop running to the right when he feels pressure. If he gets stripped running to the right bring in Davey.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
az jam said:
This is make it or break it time for Josh McCown. He is the starter and getting all the reps in practice. We have been posting our pro's and cons on Josh for the last several years.
Bottom line is that a good winning game will keep him as our starter and who knows how long? I was in Minneapolis cheering for the Vikings when Brad Johnson went down with an injury and Randall Cunningham took over and became the NFL MVP in 1998. Denny stayed with him even after Johnson came back! I'm not saying this will happen or that the teams were equal just saying that this is the time for Josh to show that he belongs in the NFL and as a starter. I sincerely hope that he steps up and leads the Cards to their first victory :thumbup:

I just dont understand this infatuation with McCown by some Cardinal fans...
Dude was drafted by Vince Tobin for Gods sakes......How much more time does this goof need? We gave him games before last year and then he got a full season to show he is in fact AT BEST a marginal back up QB. Joshs problems are not physically, he is just a country bumpkin.

You have to be intelligent to succeed as an NFL QB. Its why Plummer is so consistently mediocre. He spent to much time killing brian cells at Dos Gringos while at ASU. :beer:

Now i could def. be accused of the same thing but im not trying to read a zone blitz 6 days a week either and being paid millions of dollars. :thumbup:

In fact the one time Josh had a good game, he managed to screw over the entire franchise b/c we lost out on drafting Eli Manning. Trust me i would love to be wrong but i'd bet my house im not.

MrY

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
Trust me i would love to be wrong but i'd bet my house im not.

Its easy to bet your house when you live in a cardboard box.... :D

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
MrY said:
Its easy to bet your house when you live in a cardboard box.... :D

Yup. and Mccown will be my next door neighbor after this off season.......:thumbup:

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
Dude was drafted by Vince Tobin for Gods sakes......How much more time does this goof need?

I think he was drafted by Coach Mac but point taken...

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
In fact the one time Josh had a good game, he managed to screw over the entire franchise b/c we lost out on drafting Eli Manning. Trust me i would love to be wrong but i'd bet my house im not.

How many times do we have to repeat that the Cards would not have drafted Manning. They would have traded out and taken Fitzgerald.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Duckjake said:
How many times do we have to repeat that the Cards would not have drafted Manning. They would have traded out and taken Fitzgerald.

How do we know this for sure? It is however likely...and despite it being likely, we still missed out on Fitz and another #1 pick the following year. That pick was #12 overall and would have netted us Derrick Johnson or Jamaal Brown.

I would say that is worth repeating and I would much rather have lost to Minny in that game...at the time I was pissed we were going to miss out on Manning but got a kool-aid IV and somehow thought that win might be the beginning of us turning the corner and of Josh becoming our new QB. Oops.

BigRedFan

Registered
Reaction score
Kurt Warner was supposed to be our Randall Cunningham of 98. The chance of Mcnown playing to that level is less than my chance of winning the lottery.

az jam said:

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the last three years of Cards football, McCown has outperformed every other pretender in wins vs losses when allowed to start.

I'm not saying he's the future. Time and performance will tell. But it is my opinion that he wouldn't be 0-7 in TDS in our last 7 penetrations in the red zone. And we wouldn't be 0-3 if he had started since day 1.

So rip me, mouth your sarcastic platitudes and delude yourselves. I don't think Warner will ever regain starting status here.

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
CardinalLaw said:
All he wants is to start now. Plus he can throw the ball 89 yards, 70 from his knees.

How far can he throw from his back?? With this OL thats very important.

jrjbritt

Registered
Reaction score
I honestlythat if McCown starts and doesnt do well in these 3-4 games that he plays in, I think that once that Warner is Healthy, McCown is gone and either Davey or Navvere if then back-up, which I think Davey will be.. If I was Green, then I would let McCown play 2-3 quarters of the 49ers game and if were winning, let him finish ... if not bring in Navarre to see what he can do.. .. I really hate to chalk this game up on seeing which quarter back is better, but that is waht could happen.. then starting tuesday, if we lose, open the quarter back spot to competion and see of how fast Davey can pick up the offense and let the best quaterback start the next game and go from there.. I have this hugh pit in my stomach that tells me this is just the start of the downfall to this season.. I Love the Davey signing and hope that he was not brought in just as a 3rd option till Warner is healthy, but accutally is givien a chance to compete and move up the depth chart quick.. McCown has sucked since he has been here and his chances are gone.. get rid of him and let Navvare/Davey compete till Warner comes back.. And If some luck happens and we win the games that Warner is out, dont mess with anything , even the QB, since we are winning.

GO cards..
ps.. sorry about the spelling ...

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
In the last three years of Cards football, McCown has outperformed every other pretender in wins vs losses when allowed to start.

I'm not saying he's the future. Time and performance will tell. But it is my opinion that he wouldn't be 0-7 in TDS in our last 7 penetrations in the red zone. And we wouldn't be 0-3 if he had started since day 1.

So rip me, mouth your sarcastic platitudes and delude yourselves. I don't think Warner will ever regain starting status here.

Not really glowing recommendations for a starting QB, though. And he wouldn't necessarily have put one in the end zone. Now, if Emmitt were still here, he might have thrown one in... :D

Nah, in all seriousness, he hasn't done well as a starter, and he needs to show he can win. If he does, great. If not, buh-bye. Simple and logical.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:

I agree with you Skkorp...

Josh did like to throw jump balls to Fitz last year, so I am sure he would have tried.

Warner is a better QB, but with our O-line it may be better to use Josh's legs. If has improved his field awarness at all we should be able to score TD's vs. 49ers.

His best games were vs. the Whiners last year so who knows...

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
Dude was drafted by Vince Tobin for Gods sakes......How much more time does this goof need? We gave him games before last year and then he got a full season to show he is in fact AT BEST a marginal back up QB. Joshs problems are not physically, he is just a country bumpkin.

You have to be intelligent to succeed as an NFL QB. Its why Plummer is so consistently mediocre. He spent to much time killing brian cells at Dos Gringos while at ASU. :beer:

Now i could def. be accused of the same thing but im not trying to read a zone blitz 6 days a week either and being paid millions of dollars. :thumbup:

The more you post the more I think you're a total ******. Geezus H krist, McCown drafted by Tobin!?

How much more time do we give a goof like you?

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
LoyaltyisaCurse said:
I agree with you Skkorp...

Josh did like to throw jump balls to Fitz last year, so I am sure he would have tried.

Warner is a better QB, but with our O-line it may be better to use Josh's legs. If has improved his field awarness at all we should be able to score TD's vs. 49ers.

His best games were vs. the Whiners last year so who knows...

I just hope he get's rid of that depressed look on his face.

He looks terrible out there, just like he's defeated already.

He will be out of football quick if he dosen't get some confidence soon.

I hope he does well, if I were the OC the first play I'd call would be out of a 3 WR set and I slant boldin over the middle and have josh pump fake to him and then heave it deep to Fitzgerald whatever the coverage was.

It's either gonna be about equal to a punt or a big play.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AzCards21 said:
The more you post the more I think you're a total ******. Geezus H krist, McCown drafted by Tobin!?

How much more time do we give a goof like you?
:D

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:

That Josh has outperformed the sorry group of QB's this franchise has paraded in front of us is damning him with faint praise. A better comparison would be what a NFL caliber QB would do with this team. Since we haven’t had one since 1988, it’s hard to tell.

But I have a hard time sharing your admiration for Josh. I see a player who is not very accurate and has a tendency to lose his composure and confidence at the worst possible moments. I am not gleeful in making this observation. I am saddened that the team I care for, and support both emotionally and financially, is being lead by someone who I do not respect. That being said, I do respect your opinion and truly hope that you are correct. But I suspect that come Sunday night I will once again find myself with my face buried in my hands and wondering why this team seems so snake-bitten.

Your point regarding Warner is probably correct as his season, and career, could very well be finished. Sometimes I think there should be a sign at the training facility on Warner Road that reads, “Welcome to the elephant graveyard. The place NFL careers go to die.”

The Shark

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
LoyaltyisaCurse said:
(McCown's) best games were vs. the Whiners last year so who knows...

LC:

The Cardinals lost both of those games, right? If the Cards were 0-2 against the worst team in the league with Josh McCown at his best, how much credit should he really get for the games that they've won with him starting?

Whatever his other failings, Dennis Green has been thought to be a pretty good judge of quarterbacks. In less than two seasons, he's benched McCown in favor of three other QBs, all of whom were acquired with McCown already on the roster. And the Cards have just signed another one.

McCown will start again on Sunday because he's the most-experienced healthy QB on the roster, and he'll likely keep on starting until Warner recovers, Davey learns the offense, or Green decides--for the second time--to go with John Navarre.

And none of them will make a difference until/ unless the rest of this team plays better than it has the first three weeks of this season.

WC

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I know

some people think McCown is as dumb as a rock. i would ask when, where and how long you spoke with him. I've been around him a bit and talked about alot of things with him and contrary to what some people have stated, he's no dummy. I would imagine that's a bit of projection on their part.
The game just hasn't slowed down for him. I don't know that it ever will.
When he takes off, he should be heading straight north and south unless he's going to the side of the field that's overloaded with receivers.
But as far as the insulting remarks about him, you ought to give it a rest.
He never said anything about how stupid some of you sounded when he talked to you.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Josh isn't dumb. He is athletic. He can't hit the broad side of a barn. He will miss on most of his passes. He can run for some yards. He can't lead a receiver. He can't read a defense. Occasionally he can lead a team downfield. More often, he will miss the open receiver, check down, refuse to check down and hit the guy open 2 yards out with two guys on him.

He's just not the QB I want leading this team...yeah, even this sorry team.