Marbury on radio right now

OP
OP
J

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He sounded like he was about to cry. He said he had nothing negative to say about the organization. He said he loved playing with Shawn Marion, Amare Stoudemire, Casey Jacobsen and all of the younger guys. He said he really liked this coaching staff.

I mean he really sounded upset. Gambo and Ash kept trying to tell him were taken to say that it was a good move for him because he was going back to New York. He really didn't sound like that was a big deal to him. I really got the feeling that he was quite happy here in Phoenix, and he is hurt by the trade.

Joe Mama

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Joe Mama
He sounded like he was about to cry. He said he had nothing negative to say about the organization. He said he loved playing with Shawn Marion, Amare Stoudemire, Casey Jacobsen and all of the younger guys. He said he really liked this coaching staff.

I mean he really sounded upset. Gambo and Ash kept trying to tell him were taken to say that it was a good move for him because he was going back to New York. He really didn't sound like that was a big deal to him. I really got the feeling that he was quite happy here in Phoenix, and he is hurt by the trade.

Joe Mama

Part of the reason he signed a long term contract was due to the difficult times he had with the Wolves and Nets - he liked Phoenix.

But the announcers are right. Having Houston at SG will be huge because opponents will not just clog the paint against Stephon. I expect he will get some really good numbers.

msdundee

Registered
Reaction score
Just listened to the Steph's interview and I agree with your take.

I've been a Suns fan since I moved to Arizona in '86. Had tickets for the Sacto game next Friday and I just tore them up.

Colangelos are supposedly making this move for the long term. I hope it blows up in their faces.

scotsman13

Reaction score
i personally feel sorry for marbury. he really was enjoying his time in the sun. he had done everything he knew how to do to make this a successful team. i dont know what else he could have done.

matt_whitlock

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
But the announcers are right. Having Houston at SG will be huge because opponents will not just clog the paint against Stephon. I expect he will get some really good numbers.

You guys don't get Houston.

It's funny. Stephon Marbury is the best, if not second best point guard in the league, one of the few dominant guards, and a good leader, and the C's get nothing but expiring contracts and damaged goods. Thirty six years without a championship?

He's to another thirty more.. Cheers.

scotsman13

Reaction score
ok matt,
go be a new york fan now. you have always been a hardaway fan and not a suns fan. go see how much time penny gets in new york. but if you are going to be this negitive of a poster get off the boards.

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
Originally posted by matt_whitlock

It's funny. Stephon Marbury is the best, if not second best point guard in the league, one of the few dominant guards, and a good leader, and the C's get nothing but expiring contracts and damaged goods. Thirty six years without a championship?

Moron. Shut the H**L Up.:moon: :whip: :gun: :bang:

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by matt_whitlock

Rats. And here I thought that Sephon was going to lead the team on a 40 game win streak and then win the championship this year. Now look how the Colangelos have screwed that all up.

:stupid:

BMF

Rookie
Reaction score
I will miss marbury. He is the only reason we haven't gone winless without Stoudamire. I feel bad, I don't like this trade much, but I wish Starbury all the best in new york.

I will also miss penny.

Those draft picks better turn into something like Dwight Howard because its going to be a long long season.:(

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You have to feel sorry for marbury.

Because of the situation here the light finally clicked on.

He turned his life around.

Now he'll have to deal with the "thug elements" he said were around him when up in the NY/NJ area.

He felt pressure there, but not here. Sort of like you feel pressure to perform for your parents, but not for other people. Sometimes going home just racks the nerves as everything is magnified in your mind.

Last year there was a I think Dateline NBC report about him.

It showed off his house and he seemed REALLY happy to be here.

I think the interview today showed us what type of player he really wanted to be for us.

That sucks.

The Suns will always be #1 in my heart, without question, ever.

But there will always be a place in my heart for steph as a player, without question.

I mean compare his interview post trade to Kidd's ridiculous bash of us.

Who is the better person? We all know the answer.

So in a sense the McDouche burn (gosh female product +std) screwed up Marbury's chance too.

Thanx McDouche. Here it is 2004 and we are still feeling the after affects....and Marbury too.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I fell bad that he was traded, I am not happy, but hey- that's business. I wish him well, and I will continue to watch him in NY. I hope he lead NY to the finals.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Originally posted by SirStefan32
I fell bad that he was traded, I am not happy, but hey- that's business. I wish him well, and I will continue to watch him in NY. I hope he lead NY to the finals.

ditto

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

It is not out of the question. This is a much more suitable supporting cast for him than the Suns were. Houston's outside shooting will be a big plus in opening up the lanes for him. Van Horn has a good outside shot as well. The fact that the Knicks don't run the ball will fit into Stephon's style.

Plus, he won't have to play as many games against the Western Conference big men. I'd be shocked if doesn't have an enormous year.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Originally posted by George O'Brien
It is not out of the question. This is a much more suitable supporting cast for him than the Suns were. Houston's outside shooting will be a big plus in opening up the lanes for him. Van Horn has a good outside shot as well. The fact that the Knicks don't run the ball will fit into Stephon's style.

Plus, he won't have to play as many games against the Western Conference big men. I'd be shocked if doesn't have an enormous year.

Exactly! Marbury, Houston, Hardaway, Thomas, Van Horn- that is a powerful team that could compete in the West. They'll be a major force in the East.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't forget that he is going to have Mutombo in the middle, so he can continue to allow opposing perimeter players to go right by him on defense. :)

Marbury said on the radio that the NBA is a business, and he understands that the nature of the businesses to be traded. He didn't sound like you really wanted to be here in Phoenix, but he understands the move.

Joe mama

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Hopefully not this year..........

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I hope they tank it, but from what I read they need a 27-20 record to make .500 which one reporter says is need to make the playoffs.

Lets hope for a 20-27 record.

That should give us about the 10th worst record for a team and thus a decent number of balls in the lottery....worse is better of course.

Marbury might give them more wins....but personally even if they on paper improved their team, I don't think that will translate into many more wins than they would have had otherwise.

If chemistry issues or depth issues arise we could end up with a great pick.

Let's also say they lost a couple of guys that can do well for them in McDyess and eisley ...they probably will re-sign ward. but it still hurts them a bit if an injury hits.

Either way we get a #1-#20 pick this year. With higher probability on #1-#13

cly2tw

Reaction score
I will miss Steph.

Through Barkley, I became a huge Suns fan. And through the Suns, I became huge Marbury fan, and Kidd hater. As long as Marbury stay the new mature way he is now, I'll be his fan.

But I do understand the motivation for this move. I just think that Colangelli should come forward and admit that they did a huge mistake to give Marion that max contract, so that they had to trade away their only proven franchise player in Steph now to save the team.

OP
OP
J

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by cly2tw
I will miss Steph.

Through Barkley, I became a huge Suns fan. And through the Suns, I became huge Marbury fan, and Kidd hater. As long as Marbury stay the new mature way he is now, I'll be his fan.

But I do understand the motivation for this move. I just think that Colangelli should come forward and admit that they did a huge mistake to give Marion that max contract, so that they had to trade away their only proven franchise player in Steph now to save the team.

The Shawn Marion extension was a mistake, but the bigger mistake that was really hurting the Suns was the Penny Hardaway signing. Not to mention I'm sure they were wondering if Marbury's extension was a good move. The only good thing about that extension for Marbury is that it really allowed this trade to happen.

I think we will see an offense over the next few weeks designed to get Shawn Marion better looks closer to the basket.

Joe Mama

creed

Veteran
Reaction score
Shawn a mistake??

Hardly was the Marion extension a mistake...thats laughable. He's one of the most overall productive players around.

Yes it's sad to see Marbury go. That stat ***** had a sexy seductive game no question about it. But in the end good PG's are plentiful in the league and Barbosa made a nice step tonight in that direction himself. And if we could get Kobe, Ginobli, or Nash out of it then it was SO worth it.

creed

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by DevonCardsFan
I really liked Marbury and I'm sad to see him go. Very sad

Will you be all sad faced if we get Kobe?