Marc Bulger?

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
If Kurt retires, would there be any interest in bringing in Marc Bulger as Leinart's backup? This assumes he could be signed at a reasonable price.

Given Leinart's durability issues, I'm not comfortable with Brian St.Pierre or a rookie backing him up next season if Kurt does pull the trigger. (Of course Bulger hasn't exactly been the football version of Cal Ripken.)

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he was a FA I would consider it. Would rather him backing up Matt and pushing Matt to start over St. Pierre.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Bulger is done.
Like Warner was? I'm not saying that I think Bulger would be a great choice, I'll leave that to Coach but it would be interesting to see what Bulger could do if he were healthy and not getting killed every time he dropped back. Even Kurt doesn't look good when that happens.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like Warner was? I'm not saying that I think Bulger would be a great choice, I'll leave that to Coach but it would be interesting to see what Bulger could do if he were healthy and not getting killed every time he dropped back. Even Kurt doesn't look good when that happens.
Bulger is not and never has been Warner.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Bulger is not and never has been Warner.

Did I say that? What I was referring to was that people were saying that Warner was "done". He got a whole lot better when he got healthy.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Or some 1-3 round draft pick.

Bulger is done.

How about Levi Brown from Troy in the 5-6 round? I like this kid & see a little gunslinger like Favre was as a youngster. I've seen him play about 5-6 games the last few seasons & think he's been better each season & if Leinart fails we may have something in 2-3 years.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did I say that? What I was referring to was that people were saying that Warner was "done". He got a whole lot better when he got healthy.
Oops posted that too quickly.

If you are saying Bulger could be a decent backup, I might agree with you (if he doesn't want a lot of money). I just don't want to be faced with Marc Bulger as anything more than a backup.

As a long term starter prospect, I will pass on Bulger.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Would love to have Bulger backing up Matt. As long as he is healthy he can play.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
If you are saying Bulger could be a decent backup, I might agree with you (if he doesn't want a lot of money). I just don't want to be faced with Marc Bulger as anything more than a backup.
That is what I'm saying. Go with Leinart as QB & pay some one like Bulger little enough that it doesn't count toward our "final 8" FA count. I'm not that fired up about Bulger but we MAY (MAY, MAY, MAY) have our QBOF in Leinart. Contingency for if Leinart gets hurt or really sucks. Draft youth and talent in all of the other weak spots.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is what I'm saying. Go with Leinart as QB & pay some one like Bulger little enough that it doesn't count toward our "final 8" FA count. I'm not that fired up about Bulger but we MAY (MAY, MAY, MAY) have our QBOF in Leinart. Contingency for if Leinart gets hurt or really sucks. Draft youth and talent in all of the other weak spots.

I like it.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

agree

I've posted before, Tyler Thigpen would rock with out offense.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Really not interested in Bulger, other than training camp fodder... However, I just can't shake this overwhelming feeling that Leinart is simply a bust and will never prove to be NFL-caliber/starter material...
Man I hope I'm wrong... but I just don't see it. Not one bit.

OP
OP
Totally_Red

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score

That is exactly my thinking. Offer him a one-year $2-2.5 million dollar deal to back up and MAYBE push Matt for the starting job. This assumes he is healthy and of course, that Kurt does retire.

DS_Whit

Rookie
Reaction score
I like the idea of David Carr. His youth is what interests me the most. He has starting experience and experience holding the clip board behind some great, Super Bowl QB's. He is the perfect case of talent put in a crappy situation. Starting off as the first QB in Texans history is not ideal and he had to take what was offered to him just to stay in the league. He still has the potential to be a great QB in this league.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
... However, I just can't shake this overwhelming feeling that Leinart is simply a bust and will never prove to be NFL-caliber/starter material...
Man I hope I'm wrong... but I just don't see it. Not one bit.
And as you and Shane have point out, rightfully so, Leinart hasn't done enough to say "No question, he's the guy." But IMO he also hasn't been so horrible as to say he will never be any good. I think that he's got enough talent to be better than Trent Dilfer, who won a Super Bowl because he was surrounded by a good team.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Thigpen would be better than Bulger, I think Bulger is done...

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
And as you and Shane have point out, rightfully so, Leinart hasn't done enough to say "No question, he's the guy." But IMO he also hasn't been so horrible as to say he will never be any good. I think that he's got enough talent to be better than Trent Dilfer, who won a Super Bowl because he was surrounded by a good team.

Man..... would I love it if our defense was even half as great as the defense that surrounded Dilfer that year!!!
With our talent on offense, Matty would only need to be half as talented as Dilfer and we would still win a Super Bowl!!! ;)

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree with that without question. The talent is there. IMO its all mental with matt.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I don't know about his health but i wouldn't mind seeing Byron Leftwich as a backup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05