Marion, Jake, Barbosa, Jacobsen, and #7 for T-Mac

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score

I would rather have Kobe & Amare together with rollplayers. But if trading for Tmac helps our chances to get Kobe, I am all over it.

If the three dont work well together you can allways trade TMac.

If the trade is really there... Go for it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
When does quantity over quality become an issue??

You realize that's half our playable roster, right?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Jacobsen and Jake should ride the bench anyway.

So it is only 2 for 1 in my opinion. And we have capspace to sign other players too.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
slinslin said:
Jacobsen and Jake should ride the bench anyway.

So it is only 2 for 1 in my opinion. And we have capspace to sign other players too.

Um, the bench is still pretty important, you know? I would think this past season would be a huge implication of that.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It doesn't matter. I don't think the Magic are going to go for it. They will wait until closer to February trade deadline and hope a team will give them more.

Mad Psyentist

Reaction score
I think a trade of Marion, our 1st round pick, and the rights to Vujanic for McGrady would be more than fair. Personally, I think Barbosa would be a lot better for our team than Vujanic, and I think Orlando has heard the same hype on Vujanic that everyone else has which might be enough for Orlando to be interested in him as part of the deal. I wouldnt mind trading Casey and/or Zarko too if needed. In fact, I wouldnt mind anyone outside of Amare, Barbosa, and JJ leaving.

As for our bench, yeah i think our bench is pretty thin and the past season showed us this, but this past season also showed that the players that are already on our bench arent getting it done either. Sure we could give them more time to develop, but we dont know how long this will take or if they ever will develop into anything special. Which is why i dont mind seeing most of them go and being replaced by veteran players thru free agency. If we're going to try to compete as soon as possible with a trade for McGrady, getting veterans thru free agency seems like the better way to go anyway.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mad Psyentist said:
I think a trade of Marion, our 1st round pick, and the rights to Vujanic for McGrady would be more than fair.

This has nothing to do with "fair" or what makes basketball sense. Orlando is so bad that unless they get a marquis player, there will be a revolt by their few remaining fans. Look at how much grief the Colangelos got for getting rid of Marbury and the Suns still kept their biggest star. For Orlando, T-Mac is all they have to offer.

Orlando has a new GM. Do you honestly believe his first deal would be to trade away his only star for guys people in Orlando have never heard of?

Mad Psyentist

Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
This has nothing to do with "fair" or what makes basketball sense. Orlando is so bad that unless they get a marquis player, there will be a revolt by their few remaining fans. Look at how much grief the Colangelos got for getting rid of Marbury and the Suns still kept their biggest star. For Orlando, T-Mac is all they have to offer.

Orlando has a new GM. Do you honestly believe his first deal would be to trade away his only star for guys people in Orlando have never heard of?

Good point, I didnt think of it that way. I guess from the way I see things, theyve already gone thru this process once before when they traded away Penny and had really nothing to build with except cap room. I figure if theyre able to pull off a trade like Hill + their pick for Walker, theyd be in pretty good shape with pieces like our pick and Marion.

I havent heard any marquee names being thrown out for a McGrady trade that jump out at me. Most of the players teams wanna trade are too old to build around at this point or seem too flawed. Thats why I think we have the advantage because our players our young (including Marion) and we can offer picks which is perfect for rebuilding. Personally, I wouldnt make trades with Mcgrady for someone like Francis, Iverson, Ray Allen or Carter. Weve already seen teams trying for several years to build around them and fail (maybe with the exception of Iverson). Theres also the problem with some of them might be their willingness to play second fiddle to someone else. From what I've seen in teams such as Denver, I think young players, picks, and cap room are the way to go.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
They will wait until closer to February trade deadline and hope a team will give them more.

That doesn't make much sense to me. If the Magic wait until the deadline to trade TMAC then they know he is going to bolt. If they know that, then so will the rest of the league. So in essence, the Magic become "forced" to trade him, and will most likely get a worse deal, since their hands will be tied.

That is why Weisbrod (sp?) wanted a decision by training camp. Right now, they can bully teams around into sending better talent, but in Feb, it will work the other way around.

Dr. Dumas

Registered
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:

Orlando has so many holes to fill that they look like a block of swiss cheese. If Orlando trades TMAC, the team that trades for him is not going to give up 3 star quality players for him, they might give up one really good player and some fills. Do you think that the new GM can afford to let TMAC walk for nothing without the fans burning down the town?

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess the Houston Rockets could offer their starting backcourt of Steve Francis and Mobley.

Joe Mama

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dr. Dumas said:
Orlando has so many holes to fill that they look like a block of swiss cheese. If Orlando trades TMAC, the team that trades for him is not going to give up 3 star quality players for him, they might give up one really good player and some fills. Do you think that the new GM can afford to let TMAC walk for nothing without the fans burning down the town?

Actually I think they will do everything in their power to bring in players to help T-Mac using the Timberwolves as a model. That's why the Okafor and Hill for Walker has a certain kind of perverse logic.

The flip side is also in place. It is hard to justify giving up a lot for a player who may not be around much longer. In a sense, T-Mac would be arranging for a "sign and trade" whether he did it now or next summer. Look at how few teams have $15 million in cap space compared to teams available for sign and trade.

Should the Magic wait until February? I was thinking about how most people figured the Blazers would simply let Sheed Wallace leave as a free agent, but instead picked up Ratliff and Shareef Abdur-Rahim.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
Should the Magic wait until February? I was thinking about how most people figured the Blazers would simply let Sheed Wallace leave as a free agent, but instead picked up Ratliff and Shareef Abdur-Rahim.

Lets be honest, that should be a one time thing. Atlanta has a horrible management group, at least they did at the time of the deals. I don't think we will see another trade like that for a long time.

I still think the longer the Magic wait to trade McGrady, the less they will get.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05