Matt leinart draft prediction

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He won't pull an Aaron Rodgers free fall but I'm going to predict right now that Leinart won't go 2nd and might not even be the first QB drafted.

Something is wrong with this kid it's about the 4th time this year I've seen him either look like he has a concussion(which he might) or is sick. No velocity, I agree with Keith Jackson who said he took a lick earlier in the game and then the 2nd hard one late in the half.

I really think NFL scouts are going to look at him and say 2 arm surgeries, and beginning to look like he can't take hits without getting woozy, and he'll slide.

Great player but this is just too many times this year where he just looks like he is punch drunk or something.

Ed Burmila

Registered
Reaction score
I agree. I can't put my finger on it, but I'm just not impressed with him as a prospect. He looks like Cade McNown. Not physically or personality-wise, but everything that comes off his arm just seems to lack zip.

Pulling an Aaron Rodgers would be a blessing for Matt. If he's drafted somewhere that expects a savior, god help him. It would greatly benefit him to go somewhere and sit on the bench for a while. You don't need a cannon arm to play in the NFL. Lots of guys have average arms. But you do need to be smarter than everyone else to get by with a mediocre gun, and he'll be as lost as any other rookie initially.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Too much media hype to see him drop out of top two picks and not be top qb taken. He also has the size and has produced against top competition over the last three years. All draft pundits have him ranked high. I really don't see him droping but I don't see him being a franchise qb like Carson Palmer.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
His decision to stay in school may backfire on him.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
red desert said:
But what about that LenDale White kid? He MAY, I repeat MAY, be worthy of the number 10 pick.

yep that's my boy, I rescinded my Winston choice yesterday and I'm back on the lendale white bandwagon.

Still think JJ can be good but White will give us the power runner we lack.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
red desert said:
But what about that LenDale White kid? He MAY, I repeat MAY, be worthy of the number 10 pick.

He said there's a strong possibility that he's going back to school. He said he wants to be the 3rd consecutive USC player to win the Heisman

If he comes out though I have no problem with the pick

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
O said:
His decision to stay in school may backfire on him.

Maybe. If a scenerio like Russ mentioned plays out, he will lose alot of money. But it may be a blessing in disguise.

If he gets drafted by New Orleans, he will be expected to come in right away and take over the reigns straight off the bat. Not only that, he will be drafted into a horrible situation where the Saints not only don't have a 'home' to speak of, but also working with a new coaching staff trying to find their feet. To me atleast, that would be a very scary situation to be involved in. Espically with all the pressure that comes with being the #2 overall pick.

Now, if he falls a bit and goes to a team that doesn't expect him to be the savior (like Ed pointed out) it could be a blessing. If he sits on the bench for year and gets healthy while learning a pro offense it would be very beneficial to him.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
He said there's a strong possibility that he's going back to school. He said he wants to be the 3rd consecutive USC player to win the Heisman
:eek: nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
White is the nephew or cousin of Chauncey Billups and supposedly Billups is telling him to stay in school. Says he regrets leaving Colorado early for the NBA and advised White to stay and enjoy it before it becomes a job.

But he may not have the grades.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, it's in the 4th and Leinart is 26 of 35, 307 and a TD.

I think he's going to be okay.

Add another 20+ yards and a TD.

CardsFan222

Rookie
Reaction score
Ed Burmila said:
I agree. I can't put my finger on it, but I'm just not impressed with him as a prospect. He looks like Cade McNown. Not physically or personality-wise, but everything that comes off his arm just seems to lack zip.

Pulling an Aaron Rodgers would be a blessing for Matt. If he's drafted somewhere that expects a savior, god help him. It would greatly benefit him to go somewhere and sit on the bench for a while. You don't need a cannon arm to play in the NFL. Lots of guys have average arms. But you do need to be smarter than everyone else to get by with a mediocre gun, and he'll be as lost as any other rookie initially.

He has been running an NFL offense for three years now. I dont think he will be as lost as Others.

Ed Burmila

Registered
Reaction score
Carson Palmer had to sit a year, and he was a far superior prospect. I don't think many talent evaluators will tell you that Matt Leinart is going to step in and be great from day one.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
Well, it's in the 4th and Leinart is 26 of 35, 307 and a TD.

I think he's going to be okay.

Add another 20+ yards and a TD.

Yeah he cleared his head or whatever at halftime. I don't doubt his ability as a QB, but I am wondering if there's something going on. We've all seen QB's who've had too many concussions(Steve Young) have that problem, I'm really wondering if Leinart is showing that problem despite being such a young guy?

What an amazing game, and Pete Carroll proves why he wasn't a good NFL coach completely botching the end of the game by not punting. And whoever called TO on the 2 point conversion must feel dumb, that TO would have come in handy on that last drive.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Leinart's a big choker. Blows an easy screen pass in the 4th that would have iced it for USC. Takes 2 consecutive sacks before the half to almost take them out of field goal range. Runs around like a chicken with his head cut off on the last play instead of recognizing the scenario and throwing the ball out of bounds quickly to get one more play. When he finally does throw it he's completely unaware of the time on the clock and doesn't throw the ball into the end zone.

Choke, choke, choke. He's been carried by White and Bush all year. Not worthy of a 1st round pick any way shape or form. NEVER throws down the field with any success. I pity the team that overpays this guy by taking him in the first round.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
moklerman said:
Leinart's a big choker. Blows an easy screen pass in the 4th that would have iced it for USC. Takes 2 consecutive sacks before the half to almost take them out of field goal range. Runs around like a chicken with his head cut off on the last play instead of recognizing the scenario and throwing the ball out of bounds quickly to get one more play. When he finally does throw it he's completely unaware of the time on the clock and doesn't throw the ball into the end zone.

Choke, choke, choke. He's been carried by White and Bush all year. Not worthy of a 1st round pick any way shape or form. NEVER throws down the field with any success. I pity the team that overpays this guy by taking him in the first round.

:biglaugh:

Ed Burmila

Registered
Reaction score
Leinart is not an elite prospect. He's a better Trent Dilfer.

I don't think anyone watched that game today - even Mrs. Leinart - and thought Matt was the best QB on the field.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
moklerman said:

He did make a mistake on the last play but come on, no college QB has performed this well in this many big games. Choker is ridiculous.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Ed Burmila said:
I don't think anyone watched that game today - even Mrs. Leinart - and thought Matt was the best QB on the field.
You can be inferior to Vince Young and still be an elite prospect.

And the Leinart is a choker line is probably the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Not surprising it's coming from a Rams fan.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
moklerman said:

dude your credibility just got banished with this post.

Ed Burmila

Registered
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
You can be inferior to Vince Young and still be an elite prospect.

And the Leinart is a choker line is probably the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Not surprising it's coming from a Rams fan.

He's not an elite prospect for reasons not having to do with Young. I think most of those were laid out at the beginning of the thread.

Average arm strength at best, questionable decisionmaking, and you really have to wonder how much of his success is Byrd/Jarrett/Bush/White/the OL. He really just looks stunningly average. Not the prospect that Carson P was, and I think a lot of his flaws will be badly exposed if he's drafted by a lousy team, which is the fate that befalls all elite draft picks.

Call me a homer, but I think AZ might be the best of all worlds for him. He could sit behind Kurt and the Cards are the only lousy team with 2 all-pro wideouts.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree about Lienart. he might slip a spot or two in the draft because of Young's preformance, but I thought he looked pretty good all night.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
It's not just about this game, Leinart's been dinking and dunking all year long. USC has repeatedly tried to jump out to early leads by passing the ball and always have to revert to the running game in the second half to bring them back. He's got no deep ball whatsoever, shaky knees, isn't exactly young for a qb coming out of college and there's no way he's going to help a team that draft's him in the first round unless he slip to New England and Brady get's hurt.