Matt leinart draft prediction

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Maybe he just meant Mack Brown is a lousy coach? :)

The big deal for him is as Aj said during the Rose bowl thread, this is a guy who takes every snap from the shotgun, he's in an even simpler offense than the one Alex Smith had at Utah. The 49ers spent months teaching Smith how to take a 3 step drop, 7 step drop, how to turn his back on the defense and all those things most QB's already know when they come in, Young will be even further behind in that regard than Smith.

I think Young is a lot tougher and confident than Smith is, but he has run an incredibly simple offense in college. But he sure ran it damn well.

I've said since before the Rose Bowl that Young isn't playing in a real offense at Texas, and I got shouted down. No one has any idea whether or not Young has the capacity to digest an NFL-style playbook. Just because Pete Carroll was incompetent at containing Vince Young doesn't mean that he's suddenly an elite Pro prospect. Alex Smith ran a sophisticated offense at Utah, but ran it out of the shotgun. Young doubles that problem because he's running a Josh McCown-level offense at Texas, and running that out of the shotgun.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
He was always regarded as an elite prospect after the season he had. Even before the Rose Bowl it was just a matter of where he was going in the top 10 if he declared.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Redsz said:
He was always regarded as an elite prospect after the season he had. Even before the Rose Bowl it was just a matter of where he was going in the top 10 if he declared.

There's a difference between Top 10 and Top 3, though. He wasn't a Top 3 prospect before the Rose Bowl, and I don't believe he's one now.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
I've said since before the Rose Bowl that Young isn't playing in a real offense at Texas, and I got shouted down. No one has any idea whether or not Young has the capacity to digest an NFL-style playbook. Just because Pete Carroll was incompetent at containing Vince Young doesn't mean that he's suddenly an elite Pro prospect. Alex Smith ran a sophisticated offense at Utah, but ran it out of the shotgun. Young doubles that problem because he's running a Josh McCown-level offense at Texas, and running that out of the shotgun.

Maybe I'm just reading too many Tim Kawakami columns but my understanding is Smith was positively overwhelmed by the complexity of the offense this year, despite being such a smart kid, because at Utah he had about 3 reads max on any one play.

With Young they said he reads the DE and if he does one thing, it's a handoff, if he does the other, Vince runs. On pass plays he basically has 1-2 reads and the rest is improvised.

With Smith, on pass plays he had 2 reads and if they weren't open, he ran.

I agree young is not at all ready to run an NFL offense in the sense that he's never done it. I just think his saying he got better with less coaching may in fact have been a backhanded comment about Brown's coaching. Remember at the Senior Bowl all the comments from scouts and coaches about how Chris Simms was so completely misused at Texas because of how simple the offense was and how scouts couldn't believe the son of an NFL QB was that unprepared to run an NFL offense as a result?

I'm not sold on Young as a QB yet but a year ago I said he'd never be drafted as a QB and this year I think he might be the first one picked. He improved that much in one year.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Maybe I'm just reading too many Tim Kawakami columns but my understanding is Smith was positively overwhelmed by the complexity of the offense this year, despite being such a smart kid, because at Utah he had about 3 reads max on any one play.

With Young they said he reads the DE and if he does one thing, it's a handoff, if he does the other, Vince runs. On pass plays he basically has 1-2 reads and the rest is improvised.

With Smith, on pass plays he had 2 reads and if they weren't open, he ran.

I agree Smith [I think you mean Young here] is not at all ready to run an NFL offense in the sense that he's never done it. I just think his saying he got better with less coaching may in fact have been a backhanded comment about Brown's coaching. Remember at the Senior Bowl all the comments from scouts and coaches about how Chris Simms was so completely misused at Texas because of how simple the offense was and how scouts couldn't believe the son of an NFL QB was that unprepared to run an NFL offense as a result?

I'm not sold on Young as a QB yet but a year ago I said he'd never be drafted as a QB and this year I think he might be the first one picked. He improved that much in one year.

I dunno. What I heard Young say was "Mack finally understood my generation and just let me be me" (my rememberance of the exact quote). And it sounded like Mack was saying, "We stopped trying to make him into a throwing QB and let him do whatever he wanted" (my interpretation of what Brown said). I have little doubt that Mack Brown has no idea what to do with a "real" quarterback, and that Simms was under-utilized and in a stupid system at Texas. But Vince Young was in that same system and even that system had to be discarded before Young could become successful.

I still don't think that Vince Young is a quarterback. It never looked like Vince Young was picking apart the USC defense (which was middling at best the entire season), he was running around them most of the time, never had to deal with pressure, and his wideouts were mostly open on all their boring 5-yard slants.

I didn't like Phillip Rivers because I don't think that you draft a kid in the Top 5 and hope that you can deconstruct his throwing motion so that he can toss the ball for more than 15 yards without a three-second windup. I don't like Vince Young for the same reason. What were Young's top 3 passes in Wednesday's game? Really, I was more impressed with Leinart and the kid from Penn State's (a remarkably brave performance all game long in the face of blistering pressure) bowl performances more than Young's, who basically ran around a lot. I remember another guy who went to a National Championship game like that. I think his name was Eric Crouch.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
I dunno. What I heard Young say was "Mack finally understood my generation and just let me be me" (my rememberance of the exact quote). And it sounded like Mack was saying, "We stopped trying to make him into a throwing QB and let him do whatever he wanted" (my interpretation of what Brown said). I have little doubt that Mack Brown has no idea what to do with a "real" quarterback, and that Simms was under-utilized and in a stupid system at Texas. But Vince Young was in that same system and even that system had to be discarded before Young could become successful.

I still don't think that Vince Young is a quarterback. It never looked like Vince Young was picking apart the USC defense (which was middling at best the entire season), he was running around them most of the time, never had to deal with pressure, and his wideouts were mostly open on all their boring 5-yard slants.

I didn't like Phillip Rivers because I don't think that you draft a kid in the Top 5 and hope that you can deconstruct his throwing motion so that he can toss the ball for more than 15 yards without a three-second windup. I don't like Vince Young for the same reason. What were Young's top 3 passes in Wednesday's game? Really, I was more impressed with Leinart and the kid from Penn State's (a remarkably brave performance all game long in the face of blistering pressure) bowl performances more than Young's, who basically ran around a lot. I remember another guy who went to a National Championship game like that. I think his name was Eric Crouch.

Actually, what Young ment by this was that Mac brown tried to mold all these guys into "great character guys" and wanted them to act a certain way on and off the field, with the press etc. I just got finished reading a huge article on this where Mac states that he started letting the kids be kids. He started listening to rap music himself, he was ok with the do-rags, and basically started understanding "his generation" It had nothing to do with coaching. IN fact Young in the post game presser acknowledged how far he has come since being rcrutied out of highschool as far as reading defenses, staying calm, understanding the game etc. and credited Brown and his staff for that.

Didnt pick apart the USC defense? I guess if you want to call 30-40 for 270 yards and 75% completion percentage "not picking apart the USC defense" than I dont know what you would call it? Sub par?

You mention you would take a QB that has to have his throwing motion overhauled yet you have this intense man-love for Vick? Come on his motion and footwork are beyond reproach. Frankly, that is the most overrated excuse I have ever heard anyway. If it were that NFL coahces only took QB's with perfect mechanics, we wouldnt have Favre, Vick, Rothelisberger, Leftwich etc. Thats comeplete Bull.

Youngs arm is strong. it doesnt matter to what degree it is strong. As long as he can make the 5 throws an NFL scout is looking for w/o struggling (deep in, fly, down and out, corner etc) then thats as strong as it needs to be. I would venture to say he has every bit as strong an arm as McNabb or McNair does.

Was OSU's defense middling as well? I agree USC's defense was not good, but OSU's was, Michigans last year was a solid defense.

Also, as much as you like Vick it probably would have behooved you to do a little research on the type of offense VaTech ran with Vick at the helm before stating that Young only succeeds b/c he is a simple offense (which by the way he shattered UT records that have been in existence for dozens of years)

As Joel Buchsbaum, draft analyst for Pro Football Weekly, said he believed the only way Vick an be successful immeditaly would be if the team drafting him (Chargers at the time) literally threw their offensive playbook out the window and just let Vick do what he does best.

"If you just let him freelance and run his own offense," Buchsbaum said when asked what it would take for Vick to start immediately. "I think they want to discipline him into a system. The whole system (at Virginia Tech) was 'Drop back, see if you like what you see, otherwise take off and go.' "

Additonally, the article stated:

"Other than the lack of experience, the only other knocks on Vick appear to be his lack of height, which could hinder his vision in the pocket, and the fact that he wasn't forced to learn an offensive system at Virginia Tech.

Being allowed to freelance at Virginia Tech, Vick didn't develop the by-the-book mechanics NFL quarterbacks are expected to have. He also has shown too much of a tendency to tuck the ball away and run rather than search for secondary receivers"

I get it, you dont like Young or UT.-fine, but you might actually want to put away that double edge sword your wielding and come up with some new (and better) reasons!

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I don't believe Vince Young should be taken in top 15 of this draft.

I have a hard time justifing taking a player that throws a football like a dart, and comes from a simple shotgun read offense. Do not get me wrong, Vince Young is a tremendous athlete, but he isn't close to a 2nd string NFL QB at this point of this career. Having to rework his throwing mechanics and his footing on snaps from center will take all of the preseason. During the season when coaching time is at a premium he will try and learn to read defenses. In his second mini camp he will try and read defenses while dropping back. This kid is 2 years away from beinging ready to learn playing the QB position in the NFL, and he is supposed to go in the TOP 5??? I hope some dumb team takes him that high because it will take at least three years for him to start and then he is only signed for 2 more and becomes a free agent. It opens up players that can have an immediate impact for us to draft in the first round.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Simms was under-utilized and in a stupid system at Texas. But Vince Young was in that same system and even that system had to be discarded before Young could become successful.

Wow! Vince Young ran an extremely stupid offense with a freshman RB, A Sophomore 3rd down back and Soph and Freshman WR's and yet hung 50 points a game on people, beat OU 45-12, beat #4 (final) ranked Ohio State at their place and #2(final)ranked USC, also at their place, for the National Championship going 24-1 in his last two seasons as a starter???

Is he related to Boldin?

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
Bumpin' this because it's an interesting read right about now...

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PANTONE194C said:
Bumpin' this because it's an interesting read right about now...

Yeah I guess I nailed Leinart and young right, at the time I didn't even mention Cutler. I still think Matt should have gone first and in this case I was right, for the wrong reason he didn't fall past the Titans on injury concerns but because the owner liked Young better. Beyond that I think there's no question some teams that might have moved up didn't because of Matt's 2 arm surgeries.

If he can stay healthy, we got a huge steal, he's the most pro ready QB to come in since Peyton Manning and his arm is plenty strong enough if he stays healthy.

Denver fans think they got the best QB in Cutler, not so sure Titan fans are convinced about Young yet. I think he'll be a good player but he's nowhere near ready to play that's why the signed Collins IMHO they weren't overwhelmed with Volek and they were afraid to throw Vince in so early.

Still can't believe we got Matt Leinart at the 10th pick in the draft , even though we had to pay above slot to sign him we didn't have to give up picks or anything to move up.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow gotta wonder Moklerman how do you feel about Leinart now and do you still think we should have passed on him to give Navarre and Davey chances at being the QBOF?

I think we did it perfectly took Leinart, retained Kurt so we don't HAVE to play Matt right away.

I still worry about Matt being able to stay healthy but I'm thrilled we took him.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Wow gotta wonder Moklerman how do you feel about Leinart now and do you still think we should have passed on him to give Navarre and Davey chances at being the QBOF?
Let's be honest now. The only reason Moklerman wanted Davey and Navarre as backups is because they posed zero threat to his boy Warner. Leinart on the other hand will become the Cardinals full-time starter Week 1 next year if not sooner.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
Leinart could have a wooden leg and he'd still make us better.

Hey, I like that quote! :)

Thank God moklerman's opinion was so off base!

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:

I think we did it perfectly took Leinart, retained Kurt so we don't HAVE to play Matt right away.

I still worry about Matt being able to stay healthy but I'm thrilled we took him.

Even more than signing Edge, Leinart dropping to us in the draft makes me feel that the Cards karma, luck, whatever, *might* be changing. Really, even in the few days before the draft, when we started to hear he might drop, I didn't think it would really happen.

I mean, we got the #1 pick of the 2005 draft essentially! (Yes, I know about the shoulder operation. But, I believe there is NO WAY the Niners still would've taken Alex Smith.)

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
Really, even in the few days before the draft, when we started to hear he might drop, I didn't think it would really happen.
What's worse is that even when we were on the clock and he was there I was almost certain that we were going to pass on him. I literally held my breath as Tags came to the podium with the card (at least I think it was still tags at that point).

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
What's worse is that even when we were on the clock and he was there I was almost certain that we were going to pass on him. I literally held my breath as Tags came to the podium with the card (at least I think it was still tags at that point).

When I saw the Cards rushing up to the podium after only about 2 minutes, I knew they were picking Leinart. When they announced it, I let out a whoop that had all the neighbors running to their windows to see who was getting murdered.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I called it the night before the draft - called Ouchie and guaranteed we'd get him. He told me I was high... he was right... BUT SO WAS I!

Billy Flynt

Pirate, 300 yrs too late
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
I'm back on the lendale white bandwagon.

Still think JJ can be good but White will give us the power runner we lack.

I always respect your opinions Russ but thank gawd you were wrong on this one!!!

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Billy Flynt said:
I always respect your opinions Russ but thank gawd you were wrong on this one!!!

Well I should note the day we signed Edge, I stopped pimping White. I still think White will be a good player I think a lot of his negative rep was built on 2 false assumptions. Everyone believed he was fat and lazy until they found out he had a hamstring injury he'd been fighting for weeks leading up to the draft. And then courtesy of Scott Wolf, the rumor hit right before the draft that LenDale had tested positive for marijuana, it wasn't true but there's little doubt it helped him fall out of the first round.

But yes I'd take Matt over LenDale any day of the week given we signed Edge.

Billy Flynt

Pirate, 300 yrs too late
Reaction score
LenDale seems to have brought quite a bit of baggage with him to the NFL - if you thought ML was hard to sign, I could only imagine how hard things might have been if LenDale had gone #10.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Billy Flynt said:
LenDale seems to have brought quite a bit of baggage with him to the NFL - if you thought ML was hard to sign, I could only imagine how hard things might have been if LenDale had gone #10.

Definitely a consideration. I'd have taken ML over LW at #10 anyways I've been screaming for a QBOF for a long time. I thought Matt would slide but I never thought he'd slide to 10th.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The reason the Cards were able to draft Matt Leinart is that Derm and I made AZCards21 leave the country that weekend.