Matt leinart draft prediction

Ed Burmila

Registered
Reaction score
clif said:
No doubt, but you want your play by play guy to actually be able to call the plays and not make up stuff because he can't see the action anymore.

Exactly.

His voice is still a classic - up there with Cosell - but he called the game yesterday like he wasn't even watching it. 90% of his description about what was going on was inaccurate.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ed Burmila said:
Keith Jackson was horrendous last night. He and that color man sounded like two old barroom drunks bantering about a game.

From the Vince Young lateral to the blown INT calls to the facemask on the last drive that they insisted was a late hit, I can't recall too much that they didn't butcher.

At one point he said he was watching the action through binoculars. Maybe he should've just watched the monitor, because no one can watch from that high up with binoculars and NOT screw up.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
He won't pull an Aaron Rodgers free fall but I'm going to predict right now that Leinart won't go 2nd and might not even be the first QB drafted.

Something is wrong with this kid it's about the 4th time this year I've seen him either look like he has a concussion(which he might) or is sick. No velocity, I agree with Keith Jackson who said he took a lick earlier in the game and then the 2nd hard one late in the half.

I really think NFL scouts are going to look at him and say 2 arm surgeries, and beginning to look like he can't take hits without getting woozy, and he'll slide.

Great player but this is just too many times this year where he just looks like he is punch drunk or something.

Leinhart will be the first QB taken even if Young comes out. He was not exactly dog meat last night. Around 350 yards throwing and he has done all this for three years in a pro set offense. He can be a starter very quick in the NFL.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MastersofCombat said:
Matt Leinhart has serious problems awaiting his future, or should I say the team that waste a huge pick on him.

Mentality that was thought to be soo good was obvious he cant stand losing.
Seemingly a RYAN LEAF like post game performance.

Concussions wow wow wow bet that is boding well on draft nite

I don't see the problem with saying I still think we're the best team?

he didn't say they suck, or we gave the game away or the refs robbed us, he said I think we're the best team. The whole country thought that, ESPN has been asking are they the best dynasty ever for weeks now. That whole offense will play in the NFL.

The "best team" doesn't always win, that's what makes sports so damn compelling IMHO.

Leinart is a 22 year old kid who just suffered the biggest loss of his career, so he said that and walked away clearly mad, I just don't see that as being awful. Not like he stomped on Vince Young's leg and then claimed it was an accident.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
red desert said:
But what about that LenDale White kid? He MAY, I repeat MAY, be worthy of the number 10 pick.

He may be worthy of a #5 pick. He just has not got the hype Bush has because he does not do flips into the endzone. He is exactly the type of runner we need. When three yards were needed for a TD White was the guy they generally went to all season. I am not so sure I take Bush for our team over White. Big power runner with speed who will run over you and had his first fumble of the year last night. He will never drop out of the top 10 unless he has some sort of injury we do not know about.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Ed Burmila said:
Carson Palmer had to sit a year, and he was a far superior prospect. I don't think many talent evaluators will tell you that Matt Leinart is going to step in and be great from day one.

I do not think Palmer was a far superior prospect even in hindsight. I do not know that he will be great but he sure has the tools and has shown the ability to beoome great.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
moklerman said:
Leinart's a big choker. Blows an easy screen pass in the 4th that would have iced it for USC. Takes 2 consecutive sacks before the half to almost take them out of field goal range. Runs around like a chicken with his head cut off on the last play instead of recognizing the scenario and throwing the ball out of bounds quickly to get one more play. When he finally does throw it he's completely unaware of the time on the clock and doesn't throw the ball into the end zone.

Choke, choke, choke. He's been carried by White and Bush all year. Not worthy of a 1st round pick any way shape or form. NEVER throws down the field with any success. I pity the team that overpays this guy by taking him in the first round.

Choker? I don't think so. He goes #1 or #2 in the NFL draft. Hardly a place for chokers. Had won something like 27 straight games. Hardly a choker. Still the best NFL prospect at QB coming out of college.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised people are trying to make a big deal over Leinart's comment at the end of the game. Or, maybe it's not surprising. I think some people would enjoy watching him fail.

Ed Burmila

Registered
Reaction score
john h said:
I do not think Palmer was a far superior prospect even in hindsight. I do not know that he will be great but he sure has the tools and has shown the ability to beoome great.

Palmer isn't more physically gifted? I disagree. I don't think many people will argue that Palmer doesn't have a significantly stronger arm and better size/mobility than Leinart.

Leinart is still a fine prospect and he may be better in the head than Palmer was, but no way was Palmer not clearly a better prospect physically.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
john h said:
Leinhart will be the first QB taken even if Young comes out. He was not exactly dog meat last night. Around 350 yards throwing and he has done all this for three years in a pro set offense. He can be a starter very quick in the NFL.

We'll have to see after Young makes his mind up. I was watching the local news this morning and they quoted Mike Nolan as saying people put far too much into what Mel Kiper and a bunch of draft sites say about people. That players we think "fell" in many cases were never going to go that high in the first place. I think he was really talking about Aaron Rodgers last year but they were asking him if he thought Young would go ahead of Leinart.

I have read there are NFL teams(the Jets for one) that are scared of Leinart's health.

He was amazing in the 2nd half that's for sure.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I've been openly critical that Leinart will be nothing more than Chad Pennington......but man, if he falls to us at #10, I'd do about 95 million backflips. (I'd take a healthy Pennington all day)

He's got a weak arm, lousy pocket mobility and takes some incredibly humungous shots....these things are not new people. He feasted on the Pac 10 all season...he got exploited by an athletically superior defense that the Horns have.

Even with all those warts....I believe he is incredibly smart, still a great leader, and accurate at the college level as I've ever seen between the hashmarks. Also, I think he'd throw a pretty fade ball to Fitz in the corner of the endzone.

Never a fan of making a trade package to get this guy.......but if he freefalls I wouldn't complain at all if the Cards break it.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NEZCardsfan said:
He feasted on the Pac 10 all season...he got exploited by an athletically superior defense that the Horns have.

Exploited? He threw for about 350 and 2 TDs!

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
moklerman said:
I'm talking about a team that draft's him early will be in sad shape because of the contract they'll have to pay him.

His reputation will get him a good spot in the draft, nice signing bonus and a ton of NFL struggles. I didn't want to believe it but it's just been going on all year long. Maybe it was the offseason surgery and he'll be better next year, but as of right now, especially if he's healthy, he's not going to last in the NFL. Teams will only give him the short, underneath passing game he's been surviving on all year for so long. Eventually he'll have to prove he can throw down the field and I think he'll be toast.

The NFL is a bit more sophisticated than to draft by reputation. They do not invest millions of dollars in reputations. This guy will be looked at better than a Top Secret FBI check. Who ever drafts him will know more about his health than he does.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
moklerman said:
I really don't know much about Cutler but I can give you the exact antithesis of Leinart: Vince Young. He's largely responsible for Texas' 20 game streak and National Championship. Leinart was more of a caretaker asked not to screw things up more than anything else. Believe me, I was high on and hopeful about Leinart after he won the Heisman last year but watching him play this year really changed my perspective. I'm sure he's made some plays this year but he hasn't shown himself to be NFL caliber to me. His vaunted intangibles completely disappeared tonight and were evident all year long. Even the biggest moment of the year against Notre Dame was made by Bush pushing Leinart into the end zone. Leinart fumbled the play before and couldn't get into the end zone.

I think he's plummeting toward Gino Toretta status. That may be extreme, but they're both lefties, both led national championship teams (both team's won 34 in a row, coincidentally), both won the Heisman and I think Leinart will follow as a relative bust in the NFL. I think it may be a big part of the reason he went back for another run with USC.

With all these negative post about Leinhart maybe he will fall to us (sure he will). I wonder if DG would pass on him?

Ed Burmila

Registered
Reaction score
I think the only real question about Leinart is USC's overall talent level. It's hard to tell who's the "chief" and who's the "indian" there, so to speak. He's got receivers who can't be covered, backs who can't be tackled, a fabulous line.....

Does he make everyone around him look great or is it vice-versa? I lean towards the latter, but who can say for sure at this point. One thing's clear, he's had a very impressive college career.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
Exploited? He threw for about 350 and 2 TDs!

Yeah I for one am certainly not saying Leinart wasn't brilliant in the 2nd half last night, he was damn near perfect.

I guess the best way to explain my thinking is this. The reason I want a solid backup QB next year is I'm convinced Warner can't play 16 games, he'll get hurt, probably more than once. After this year watching Leinart I'm starting to feel the same way about him, that he'll have a hard time staying healthy in the NFL because I think he's already taken too many big shots. He'll be 23 in May, he's very young, but I get the impression that his body is a lot older than 23.

Sort of the same comments I had about Benson last year at RB, great player but he had so many carries and so many hits in college I really expect him to have a short NFL career.

I could be completely wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
BACH said:
:thumbup:

Couldn't agree more.

Payton Manning doesn't have elite arm strength either.

The interview incident.... Well, they are a better team. A better team that got beat by one player. Why wouldn't he be upset? It wasn't a classy move, but sliding in the draft because of the interview? Please!!!!

How many of us have not said something dumb a-- in our life. He had just lost the game of his life. He had high praise for Young. This was just one game folks. The NFL does not make decisions on one game. Leinhart had around 350 yards passing and only lost in the last 19 seconds. He hardly needs to hide his head in shame. He has a history of winning and being a great college QB with one of the longest winning streaks in history. Seems like players are only as good or bad as their last game.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
john h said:
With all these negative post about Leinhart maybe he will fall to us (sure he will). I wonder if DG would pass on him?

Well that's a totally different animal. I'm saying Leinart won't be picked ahead of Young if Young comes out, and might slide a bit. If Leinart is there at 10 we should probably pick him. There's a huge difference between taking a guy at #2 and paying him that much, and at #10 and paying him far less. The potential rewards outweigh the risk at 10, I'm not sure they will at 2.

I have every expectation he's a top 5 pick and probably a top 3 pick, I just don't think he'll automatically go 2nd.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Cbus cardsfan said:
When did Gino Toretta start chucking it southpaw style? Leinart's numbers were better this year than last. The guy was 14/15 prior to the final drive in the second half.It's okay if you don't like him but at least show some kind of perspective when ripping on him.

I am amazed at the ripping of Leinhart. I had no dog in that fight but enjoyed watching two great college QB's fight it out with the game in doubt until the last few seconds. Leinharts team beat my Arkansas team early this year something like 70-13. I give the devil his due and tip my hat to him and his team. One of the best college teams I have ever watched.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
I'm surprised people are trying to make a big deal over Leinart's comment at the end of the game. Or, maybe it's not surprising. I think some people would enjoy watching him fail.

Agreed I just don't get the criticisms of that interview. You take any person in America and stick a microphone in front of them a few minutes after a crushing letdown in their lives and the chances are they're going to say something less than ideal. What he said wasn't an insult.

I still today think USC is a better team than Texas, but it doesn't matter because Texas beat them fair and square and earned the NC. I don't think it's wrong for Leinart to say he feels that way.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
I think Pennington is the perfect comparison for Leinhart in terms of physical ability -- nothing jumps out at you in terms of physical talent -- but he does get it done.

I think Matt is a guy who can come in and be a ready to go, highly efficient starter in his second year. He also will be a guy that needs protection, a running game and good receivers -- i.e. a manager of an offense -- like Marc Bulger or Matt Hasselback, not the centerpiece of an offense -- like Brett Favre or Michael Vick.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Agreed I just don't get the criticisms of that interview. You take any person in America and stick a microphone in front of them a few minutes after a crushing letdown in their lives and the chances are they're going to say something less than ideal. What he said wasn't an insult.

I still today think USC is a better team than Texas, but it doesn't matter because Texas beat them fair and square and earned the NC. I don't think it's wrong for Leinart to say he feels that way.

I don't even think what Leinart said was less than ideal. I like that kind of fire. What should have had said, "Oh it was a tough loss and Texas just outplayed us."

I like it......Leinart was beaten all over the field...and he acted like he still wanted to get in there and play more.