Mavs at Suns 8:00ET TNT MY45

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I knew eventually suns fans would look back with rose colored glassless at the ssol years but dam that might be a hell of a lot sooner than even I thought.

It was nice to be competitive.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was nice to be competitive.

eh, that got old after 3 years and you knew the team had no shot to win the title. I feel the same way towards this years team as I did last year... meh. no ups and no downs. Save Game 1 of the playoffs last year, I just feel like I'm Ed Norton in the opening montage of Fight Club watching this team the last two years... just sitting there, (e)motionless, staring at the TV with the remote in my hand.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
eh, that got old after 3 years and you knew the team had no shot to win the title. I feel the same way towards this years team as I did last year... meh. no ups and no downs. Save Game 1 of the playoffs last year, I just feel like I'm Ed Norton in the opening montage of Fight Club watching this team the last two years... just sitting there, (e)motionless, staring at the TV with the remote in my hand.

In the opening scene he has the gun in his mouth.:D

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I must have lower standards because I liked winning and getting into the playoffs every season. I figured it was only a matter of time and players before D'Antoni figured it out. It wasn't like the Suns exited in the first round every season.

SunsFanVegas

Registered
Reaction score
I must have lower standards because I liked winning and getting into the playoffs every season. I figured it was only a matter of time and players before D'Antoni figured it out. It wasn't like the Suns exited in the first round every season.

Yeah, I agree. At least we had hope and we pretty much knew we would be in the playoff mix. Now, I don't hold any hope that this team even makes the playoffs, unless something drastic happens before the trade deadline.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

note I said it got old after THREE years. I enjoyed the hell out of this team it's first two years under DA and really, really liked the 07 team. But watching last year's team was like an exercise in futility and this year's just an even worse version of that.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
note I said it got old after THREE years. I enjoyed the hell out of this team it's first two years under DA and really, really liked the 07 team. But watching last year's team was like an exercise in futility and this year's just an even worse version of that.

It's been down hill since that 31-4 start.

Blackification

Registered
Reaction score
Someone look at shaq's twitter.

I can't post links so i'll put a space inbetween the http. and i'll just say quote it.

Whatthe hell is wrong wit da suns

h ttp://twitter.com/THE_REAL_SHAQ

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I know this gets old, but I've always thought if Nash had a legitimate backup, the Suns could have gotten to the finals one of the past four seasons. I've been of the opinion that Nash just wore down in the playoffs by all the bumping and hacking applied to him in the playoffs. He was the focus of opposing defenses.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know this gets old, but I've always thought if Nash had a legitimate backup, the Suns could have gotten to the finals one of the past four seasons.

maybe in years 1-3, but not last year's. A back-up for Nash still wouldn't have off-set having no interior D the first half of the year pre-Marion trade and b) having no exterior D the second half of the year post-Marion trade.

and having a legit backup in Dallas never kept Nash from wearing out. That was always the rub against Stevie was that he wore down as the playoffs came and that SA ALWAYS had his goat. That wasn't going to change here, especially last year.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been down hill since that 31-4 start.

i know you're being sarcastic, but that entire year was awesome. That playoff series against Dallas, without JJ, beating them was one of the greatest things I've ever seen, especially Game 6.

and the next year, when we lost both Amare and JJ and were 1 half away from forcing a Game 7 in the WCF was simply ridiculous as well.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i know you're being sarcastic, but that entire year was awesome. That playoff series against Dallas, without JJ, beating them was one of the greatest things I've ever seen, especially Game 6.

and the next year, when we lost both Amare and JJ and were 1 half away from forcing a Game 7 in the WCF was simply ridiculous as well.

Or how about the Suns beating the Spurs in SA to regain home court after game four only to have Amare and Diaw suspended for game five in Phoenix. All this happened in just the last four seasons with D'Antoni. Then he has a first round exit last season and he is pushed out. I know I could almost smell a Championship when D'Antoni was here. The Suns should have hung onto him much longer to see if he could complete his vision.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Marion's expiring contract doesn't looks too bad right now. Heck, he might have opted out this summer if Sarver and Kerr made sure he felt extra disrespected.

I'm especially down watching the Suns play this year. Watching a young bad team is tolerable, but watching an old bad team is flat out depressing.

Let's see what the future looks like: no pick in 2010, zero cap flexibility until 2010, an opt out for our not-so-super superstar in 2010, and our young draft picks are emerging stars on different teams.

With the first pick in the 2010 draft the Oklahoma City Thunder select: ( insert name of once-in-a-decade player ). Mark it down

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or how about the Suns beating the Spurs in SA to regain home court after game four only to have Amare and Diaw suspended for game five in Phoenix. All this happened in just the last four seasons with D'Antoni.

those all happened in the first 3 seasons with DA and to tell you the truth, the writing was on the wall in season 3. DA is a GREAT coach for a team that has no pressure on it whatsoever. But even in season 3, he was getting edgier and edgier and that team (like most teams do) took on the personality of it's HC and so when pushed, they exploded. DA's got out-coached consistently by Pop in those series and would not budge from his run and gun theory until his team once again was a defensive sieve in Game 1, losing HC again to SA and by the time they blew HC and put even more pressure on them, it was just a matter of when they would crumble under it. Then he came back the next year... and was even more woundly taught. Do you remember him throwing a coniption fit at Phil Jackson... in Game 2 of the season?

Then he has a first round exit last season and he is pushed out. I know I could almost smell a Championship when D'Antoni was here.

i don't know what you were smelling last year, pre or post trade. That team was a pretender every step of the way. Like I said, the cracks in the facade were becoming evident that first season DA had to deal with expectations, then blew up in Games 1 and 4 of the SA and then just had fuel thrown on the fire last year.

The Suns should have hung onto him much longer to see if he could complete his vision.

i disagree. the Suns had every reason to fire him. however they had NO REASON not replace him with a championship closing HC, or at least someone as respected, if not more so from a coaching standpoint. that's where the error of their ways were regarding the coaching situation IMO. Firing DA was okay with me, bringing in Porter, who had never accomplished anything, to replace him was a joke.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the first pick in the 2010 draft the Oklahoma City Thunder select: ( insert name of once-in-a-decade player ). Mark it down

you just know that's gonna happen.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
those all happened in the first 3 seasons with DA and to tell you the truth, the writing was on the wall in season 3. DA is a GREAT coach for a team that has no pressure on it whatsoever. But even in season 3, he was getting edgier and edgier and that team (like most teams do) took on the personality of it's HC and so when pushed, they exploded. DA's got out-coached consistently by Pop in those series and would not budge from his run and gun theory until his team once again was a defensive sieve in Game 1, losing HC again to SA and by the time they blew HC and put even more pressure on them, it was just a matter of when they would crumble under it. Then he came back the next year... and was even more woundly taught. Do you remember him throwing a coniption fit at Phil Jackson... in Game 2 of the season?

i don't know what you were smelling last year, pre or post trade. That team was a pretender every step of the way. Like I said, the cracks in the facade were becoming evident that first season DA had to deal with expectations, then blew up in Games 1 and 4 of the SA and then just had fuel thrown on the fire last year.

i disagree. the Suns had every reason to fire him. however they had NO REASON not replace him with a championship closing HC, or at least someone as respected, if not more so from a coaching standpoint. that's where the error of their ways were regarding the coaching situation IMO. Firing DA was okay with me, bringing in Porter, who had never accomplished anything, to replace him was a joke.

Great post. Almost exactly how I feel.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan