Maybe letting Amare go wasn't such a bad idea

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I dont really have the desire to argue it(since hindsight isn't an accepted form of debate) but i've always gone on record that if given the choice.....i would've kept Amare over Nash. I realize it wasnt a cut n dried decision the Suns had to make but nonetheless i would have kept the bigman who could score(but couldnt defend) over the PG who could score(but couldnt defend).

6'10" guys who can score inside and out aren't a dime a dozen,and its pretty easy to find a blue-collar bigman to put next to him to help balance that out.

If your perimeter guy(s) are getting blown by on defense regularly it makes it very difficult on everybody. Of course, a team has to put emphasis on stopping people in the first place....if they dont, then this is all a moot point....and in that case it really doesn't matter where your defensive liabilities are :)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont really have the desire to argue it(since hindsight isn't an accepted form of debate) but i've always gone on record that if given the choice.....i would've kept Amare over Nash. I realize it wasnt a cut n dried decision the Suns had to make but nonetheless i would have kept the bigman who could score(but couldnt defend) over the PG who could score(but couldnt defend).

6'10" guys who can score inside and out aren't a dime a dozen,and its pretty easy to find a blue-collar bigman to put next to him to help balance that out.

If your perimeter guy(s) are getting blown by on defense regularly it makes it very difficult on everybody. Of course, a team has to put emphasis on stopping people in the first place....if they dont, then this is all a moot point....and in that case it really doesn't matter where your defensive liabilities are :)

I don't really know how to respond to this because it wasn't ever really the issue. I thought we'd have been smart to move Amare early in his career but once his injuries started piling up I just figured he would always give us more value on the court than he would in trade - so we might as well keep him. I really liked watching him play and his ability to draw fouls and excite the crowd are often overlooked (or at least undervalued). I think he and Nash both benefitted from the other and I really didn't see a reason to keep either one of them without the other.

Steve

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I thought we'd have been smart to move Amare early in his career
Ok,well you can search the threads from 2 and 3 years ago....i was saying the same thing about Nash. Now its too late,yet folks are talking about trying to find "fair" deals to move him. Its not gonna happen. The short term options of moving Nash in order to immediately better this team simply don't exist anymore. Its about the long term at this point.

I think he and Nash both benefitted from the other and I really didn't see a reason to keep either one of them without the other.

Steve
They certainly did....on the offensive end. At the other end the whole team suffered. Our 2 best players(our core) couldn't guard a chair. How that isn't viewed as a serious problem i just don't know. Fanboy denial for a lack of a better term i guess. No disrepect meant to anyone in particular. They were an awesome duo to watch score points.

I would agree with your last statement. IMO it would've been best to go in a completely different direction long before last season.....but here we are.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok,well you can search the threads from 2 and 3 years ago....i was saying the same thing about Nash. Now its too late,yet folks are talking about trying to find "fair" deals to move him. Its not gonna happen. The short term options of moving Nash in order to immediately better this team simply don't exist anymore. Its about the long term at this point.

I know you were and I really didn't join the "trade Nash" group until the 2009 offseason. I enjoyed our run to the WCF but in some ways it probably contributed to our current situation. I think Sarver keeps hoping we can re-discover that magic. Unfortunately, (and I said this at the time), we really benefitted from a lot of luck that season and were nowhere near as good as a WCF appearance would suggest.

Like you, if it were up to me, I'd look for the best deal and I'd move Nash just prior to the deadline. I know we won't get much but I still think we can get something of value for him. Regardless, I'd take the best offer even if it's of no consequence.

Steve

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I dont see the point in keeping Amare without Nash. If Nash is somehow to blame for Amare's PnR struggles against the Lakers then isnt that a way of saying Amare cant create on his own... and if he cant score on his own efficiently, he doesnt rebound and he is among the worst defenders at his position then how can keeping him at that pay level be possibly justified?

And as AzSteve mentioned, Amare's bigger problems in the playoffs were on the glass and on defense where his effort was shockingly lacking.

As a fan Amare was a unique experience. You could see the ability to be a truly dominant player, but only in flashes and its what infuriated me about him. Its like Amare thinks if he makes a few great defensive plays (a few highlight blocks) then he did his job on defense, but between his blocks he missed almost every rotation, didnt close out on shooters and didnt box out unless he was already in a perfect position.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Actually, I responded to your post because that is exactly what you did. Go back and read your post. You paint Amare as something he wasn't and claim that we lost in large part because the pick and roll didn't work due to Nash. Look at their career stats and you'll see that Nash came MUCH closer to playing to his level than Amare did. Forget the offense. If Amare had rebounded at his normal rate and simply played his typical mediocre defense, we may well have won that series.

Steve

OK, I get you now. As JWB put it, you couldn't bear any comments that might be misinterpreted as slights to Nash.

You yourself even conceded that Nash was broken down in 2010. So, the only logic behind your response would have been saying, that the PNR with Amare wouldn't have worked in 2010 even if Nash were at his top form because Amare had been too bad to live up to his part of the duo. As evidence, you only brought up one issue, his rebounding in the PO was bad. But what does it have to do with the ability to play perfect PNR?

They certainly did....on the offensive end. At the other end the whole team suffered. Our 2 best players(our core) couldn't guard a chair. How that isn't viewed as a serious problem i just don't know. Fanboy denial for a lack of a better term i guess. No disrepect meant to anyone in particular. They were an awesome duo to watch score points.

I would agree with your last statement. IMO it would've been best to go in a completely different direction long before last season.....but here we are.

I don't know whether you could proceed as if you could swap the quasi franchise players every other season in hope to assemble a 'perfect' championship team.

As several here say, a "healthy" core of Amare/Nash would be a sufficiently good one to have as good of a chance to win the title as any favorite. The missing links are, 1) roster composition 2) maintaining health 3) coaching. Given his age and the team's heavy reliance on him through the regular season, the health issue to Nash is a really salient one.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, I get you now. As JWB put it, you couldn't bear any comments that might be misinterpreted as slights to Nash.

So that's it, this is your final offer? No matter what I say about AMARE you are going to twist it to mean that I'm defending Nash? Well, I don't like your final offer, I suggest you come up with a better one. I disagreed with you because you were holding Amare blameless in our 2010 playoff run and the FACTS do not support your argument. I had no intention of arguing on behalf of Nash with you, I'm used to your constant berating of the guy. There isn't a poster on this board that's been here for more than a year that doesn't realize you blame Nash every time anything goes wrong on the basketball court.

As for Nash, I've been in favor of trading the guy for a few years now. I don't have as much of a problem with his defense as many others do. My problem is that during the regular season the refs will allow the opponents to manhandle Nash in maybe 10% of the games but come playoff time they allow teams to play him physically more like 90% of the time. If they are allowed to stop his movement simply by tossing out a hip, it severely limits his effectiveness. I don't blame Nash for that but let's face it, the refs aren't going to change on this so why keep trotting it out there.

Steve

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score
Scoreboard

Nash has not made the playoffs since Amare was his pick and roll partner and is very likely not to make it this year.

Amare has had a variety of pick and roll partners while making the playoffs last year and probably will this year.

If Amare and Nash were still together they would probably have made the playoffs last year and this year.

The big argument was that you cannot win a Championship with Amare on your team. The Knicks actually have a chance this year while the Suns have zero chance. The Knicks future with his large contract on the books is brighter than the Suns with a 38 yr old PG and 39 yr old SF on the roster. The Knicks are selling out their arena and are relevant. Ths Suns cannot give tickets away and the networks have basically dumped them from any national broadcasts.

MOST complain all day long about Amare's shortcomings which there are many and forget about Nash's shortcomings all day long.

We will be able to see how bad those knees of Amare really are very soon. He will return next week and will have a young PG willing and capable of running the pick and roll with him. I know a butt load of people will be watching as well. I doubt anyone will be watching the Nash/Gortat pick and roll or even care other than diehard Suns fans, most of them really don't care either.

Nash deserved better than this.

We deserved better than this.

Thanks Bob

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scoreboard

Nash has not made the playoffs since Amare was his pick and roll partner and is very likely not to make it this year.

Amare has had a variety of pick and roll partners while making the playoffs last year and probably will this year.

If Amare and Nash were still together they would probably have made the playoffs last year and this year.

The big argument was that you cannot win a Championship with Amare on your team. The Knicks actually have a chance this year while the Suns have zero chance. The Knicks future with his large contract on the books is brighter than the Suns with a 38 yr old PG and 39 yr old SF on the roster. The Knicks are selling out their arena and are relevant. Ths Suns cannot give tickets away and the networks have basically dumped them from any national broadcasts.

MOST complain all day long about Amare's shortcomings which there are many and forget about Nash's shortcomings all day long.

We will be able to see how bad those knees of Amare really are very soon. He will return next week and will have a young PG willing and capable of running the pick and roll with him. I know a butt load of people will be watching as well. I doubt anyone will be watching the Nash/Gortat pick and roll or even care other than diehard Suns fans, most of them really don't care either.

Thanks Bob

I agree with a lot of what you're saying here but you really should read some old threads on this forum. Nash and Amare have been ripped on this board by a lot of people and I think it would be pretty difficulty to figure out which guy has been attacked the most.

Steve

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Scoreboard

Thanks Bob
I don't think you can compare amare and nash with the knicks and the suns....but if you want to go with facts let's look at it.

amare plays with a better team...plain and simple. the suns roster is garbage compared to what it was just a few years ago. that is the honest to god truth. the knicks have a lot of talent, but honestly they aren't that much better off than the suns. they have almost identical records right now and did last year as well. and the knicks aside from amare are supposed to have one of the best stars in the game in melo?

they(NYK) do have some superstars on that roster and that will sell tickets and generate excitement among their loyal fans there, but it's not like they are truly in contention for a title. they have a cluster-fu.. going on there and the fans are all excited. but reality says it has been like that for years and once again if they make the playoffs they will lose easily early. that NYK team is very bi-polar right now.

amare and nash were great teammates. they were better off staying together and building around each other, but the phx front office messed up by allowing morale to sink to the point that is was beyond repairable.

at the end of the day i would pick nash over amare every single time. nash is more effecient.. a better player and makes other people around him better. his current team proves this if he hadn't already made a career of proving this... making people better than they really were statistically. he does more with less. the second to best player on his team is well below all star level.

amare is a scorer, but often needs help to score and doesn't always make others around him better like the other true elite players in the game do. the knicks problem is they have 2 of those guys in melo and amare. as of right now even with linasity there is no evidence that tells me amare will enjoy the success in NY that he once did in phoenix.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Scoreboard

Thanks Bob

Scoreboard? The Knicks barley made the playoffs last year in the lowly East, if they played in the west they certainly wouldnt have made it, and Amare was PATHETIC in the playoffs last year and he is having the most disapointing season of his career up to this point. If not for the miraculous emergence of Lin the Knicks would be looking being the laughing stock of the league, and Lin's emergence came with Amare off the court.

If anything the "score board" favors the Suns.

I dont care how much the media over hyped the Knicks before the year and gave them national TV games, it does not justify the Suns signing Amare to that awful contract.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Scoreboard? The Knicks barley made the playoffs last year in the lowly East, if they played in the west they certainly wouldnt have made it, and Amare was PATHETIC in the playoffs last year and he is having the most disapointing season of his career up to this point. If not for the miraculous emergence of Lin the Knicks would be looking being the laughing stock of the league, and Lin's emergence came with Amare off the court.

I dont care how much the media over hyped the Knicks before the year and gave them national TV games, it does not justify the Suns signing Amare to that awful contract.
exactly...and even with 5 game winning streak they still only have 1 more win than the suns do currently. I don't think the knicks(even with lin playing at a high level which won't last) will last very long in a series with the likes of chicago or miami. that team will tank once melo goes back into the lineup and takes his 35 shots per game.

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score

You are in the minority that think the Score Board favors the Suns, so be it.

We will check the "Score Board" at the end of this season and future seasons while Amare is still under contract.

The first year was Amare's in a landslide, in virtually everyones opinion except yours. The Knicks made the playoffs and the owner was able to raise ticket prices while still selling out the arena for this season. This was because the Knicks became relevant and Amare was a key contributor to that happening. I am sure Sarver would rather have the Knicks current balance sheet rather than the Suns, even with Amare as a potential liability. I expect his partner's are not very happy seeing all of the empty seats at US Airways center. I expect Sponsors are not eager to fork over the advertising money that is required to promote the Franchise. The "Score Board" encompasses far more than just wins and losses.

When have they ever had to advertise on TV to sell tickets to games with the Lakers? That is what they are doing this year. No one cares to watch them or go see them.

If Amare stays healthy and the Knicks win a title or two, and the Suns continue to be in the lottery there still will be some suggesting that Sarver made a wise decision.

Bob's decision cannot be truly evaluated until the end of Amare's contract in New York.

My money is on the Knicks and Amare.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I dont give a crap what the attendance is, that does not count towards the "scoreboard" especially comparing a city with 5 times as many inhabitants and tons of media hype. Sarver would love to have the Knicks balance book? You dont say... the Knicks dont have to be remotely competitive to make money.

The Knicks finished with a record 2 games better than ours, while playing in a conference that is vastly easier. In the West they do not even sniff the playoffs. They were summarily butchered by the Celtics in 4 games and Amare laid a very rotten egg during that series.

Currently Amare is having the worst season since his rookie year. And the Knicks are a mere half game ahead of the Suns in the standings, while still playing in a joke of a conference and are reaping the benefits of Amare NOT playing at the moment.

The current "score board" is certainly not in the Knicks favor, at best you could say "incomplete" and considering many Knicks fans are so down on Amare they would give him up just to be rid of his contract, I would say that gives the Suns the "score board" on the issue.

And I guarantee the Knicks will not win "one or two titles", I would not be even slightly surprised if they dont win more than "one or two" playoffs GAMES during Amare's entire tenure.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are in the minority that think the Score Board favors the Suns, so be it.

We will check the "Score Board" at the end of this season and future seasons while Amare is still under contract.

The first year was Amare's in a landslide, in virtually everyones opinion except yours. The Knicks made the playoffs and the owner was able to raise ticket prices while still selling out the arena for this season. This was because the Knicks became relevant and Amare was a key contributor to that happening. I am sure Sarver would rather have the Knicks current balance sheet rather than the Suns, even with Amare as a potential liability. I expect his partner's are not very happy seeing all of the empty seats at US Airways center. I expect Sponsors are not eager to fork over the advertising money that is required to promote the Franchise. The "Score Board" encompasses far more than just wins and losses.

When have they ever had to advertise on TV to sell tickets to games with the Lakers? That is what they are doing this year. No one cares to watch them or go see them.

If Amare stays healthy and the Knicks win a title or two, and the Suns continue to be in the lottery there still will be some suggesting that Sarver made a wise decision.

Bob's decision cannot be truly evaluated until the end of Amare's contract in New York.

I think the Knicks are in much better shape on the court and on the balance sheet than we are but let's face it, they play in a whole different ballpark than we do. AFAIC there is no scoreboard and there won't be a scoreboard. New York could afford to take a risk that Phoenix simply couldn't. Whether it works or fails in New York really has no bearing on whether it would have worked in Phoenix.

Sarver offered the same contract except for voidable years (don't recall if it was one year or two). It would not be prudent for the Suns to agree to a long term uninsurable contract whereas for the Knicks, that insurance risk is almost incidental. IMO, Sarver made the right decision as did Amare AND the Knicks. We didn't start looking like fools until Bob decided to hang on to Nash and surround him with lesser talents.

Steve

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the Knicks are in much better shape on the court and on the balance sheet than we are but let's face it, they play in a whole different ballpark than we do. AFAIC there is no scoreboard and there won't be a scoreboard. New York could afford to take a risk that Phoenix simply couldn't. Whether it works or fails in New York really has no bearing on whether it would have worked in Phoenix.

Sarver offered the same contract except for voidable years (don't recall if it was one year or two). It would not be prudent for the Suns to agree to a long term uninsurable contract whereas for the Knicks, that insurance risk is almost incidental. IMO, Sarver made the right decision as did Amare AND the Knicks. We didn't start looking like fools until Bob decided to hang on to Nash and surround him with lesser talents.

Steve

Exactly. This team has done plenty of dumb moves, but handing Amare a 100 million dollar contract and basically attaching the fate of the team for the next 5 years entirely to him would have been a risk far too large for this team to take. The Knicks were the ONLY team in the entire league willing to give Amare that deal and they did it out of desperation.

I expect the Suns to be in the lotto for the near future, and frankly its a fate the Suns were destined to enter with or without Amare. And keeping Amare would have given them no ability to add talent outside of the lotto during the inevitable rebuilding effort.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

You can't possibly think that the Stoudemire/Anthony core will win a title for the Knicks. They might sniff the ECF once, and that will be it, and then they'll be rebuilding around not much young talent, same as the Suns are now.

The Suns' advantage is that they are a few years ahead of the Knicks' timetable.

The Knicks will make more money because the Knicks always make more money. Even when they are terrible, they're one of the most profitable franchises in the league. They don't need Stoudemire or Anthony for that. Those two huge contracts were brought in specifically to make deep playoff runs, and if you're putting your money on that, you'd better hope no one makes you pay up come reckoning time.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
I expect the Suns to be in the lotto for the near future, and frankly its a fate the Suns were destined to enter with or without Amare. And keeping Amare would have given them no ability to add talent outside of the lotto during the inevitable rebuilding effort.

Definitely. Our window of opportunity was closed when we lost to the Lakers in the WCF two years back.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
The Knicks will make more money because the Knicks always make more money. Even when they are terrible, they're one of the most profitable franchises in the league. They don't need Stoudemire or Anthony for that. Those two huge contracts were brought in specifically to make deep playoff runs, and if you're putting your money on that, you'd better hope no one makes you pay up come reckoning time.

Dolan + Cablevision = CASH COW. The Knicks will never run out of money, but what they always run out is intelligent people behind the scenes.

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score
Definitely. Our window of opportunity was closed when we lost to the Lakers in the WCF two years back.

Stop it

That is just crap.

Our window closed when Sarver did not resign Amare and replaced him with whom he did.

Most thought we were going to be pretty good with Nash, Amare and JRich as our core. Lopez as the potential center we always needed. Barbosa in a bounce back year or in a trade to upgrade the roster. Dudley being a legit role player Frye spreading the floor for Nash and Amare to work. Our roster was looking very good and very deep.

We had good players and assets other teams might have wanted in trade. Now we generally have no assets to trade and not very good players.

If we could have landed Gortat for Barbosa via Turkoglu we surely would have been in the conversation.

We were again at the cusp of potentially winning the Championship but our owner got stupid and did not keep the core together while adding the required missing pieces.

We will never agree on this, so be it.

Hopefully Bob does some magical things this summer to right the ship.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
If we could have landed Gortat for Barbosa via Turkoglu we surely would have been in the conversation.

In what universe would that have been possible? The Magic never would have traded Gortat to a potential contender, and they never would have made the deal for only Turkoglu.

We were again at the cusp of potentially winning the Championship but our owner got stupid and did not keep the core together while adding the required missing pieces.

That's absurd. Ask yourself seriously whether the Suns could have formed better teams after 2010 around Stoudemire than they had during the D'Antoni era. Don't just say, "Well we could have been pretty good"; actually compare the rosters.

No, we certainly won't. You're envisioning fantasy scenarios for the Suns' potential future with Stoudemire that are completely unrealistic.

It's going to take a lot, lot longer than one summer.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely not crap, our window definitely closed once we lost that series.

Personally, I thought our window closed when Amare went down from the eye injury (if not earlier). Our long-shot miracle ended when we lost that series.

Steve

cly2tw

Reaction score
Stop it

That is just crap.

Our window closed when Sarver did not resign Amare and replaced him with whom he did.

Most thought we were going to be pretty good with Nash, Amare and JRich as our core. Lopez as the potential center we always needed. Barbosa in a bounce back year or in a trade to upgrade the roster. Dudley being a legit role player Frye spreading the floor for Nash and Amare to work. Our roster was looking very good and very deep.

We had good players and assets other teams might have wanted in trade. Now we generally have no assets to trade and not very good players.

Great post!

The revelation of the 2010 Suns was we had a great bench in Dudley/Dragic/Lou/LB/Frye, better than ever. With the coach not afraid to rest Nash with Dragic's emergence, it's the first time in years that we might have had Nash fresh for the playoffs. Also, Robin Lopez was having confidence and likely would stably mature under this stable condition. So, let's see, the starting 5 would've been:

Lopez/Amare/Hill/JRich/Nash

which is IMO much more balanced and better than any team DA had used (Amare/Marion/Diaw/Bell/Nash, or Amare/Marion/JJ/Nash/Q). And the bench without any moves is already far better than anything we had, but with LB as bait and the MLE we could even improve on it. Was Amir Johnson or Haywood or Milcic FA center that season for the MLE? Turk for LB is always doable. Let Frye go and sign Lou, even without the superstar bargain in Gortat, we could think of the following bench, as an example:

AmirJohnson(or other for MLE)/Lou/Turkoglu/Dudley/Dragic

A championship contender.

Personally, I thought our window closed when Amare went down from the eye injury (if not earlier). Our long-shot miracle ended when we lost that series.

Steve

We lost that series with an underachieving Amare and severely banged-up and worn-out Nash, in 6 games against the eventual champion! And please give Nash some praise that we'd have won it, had he been semi-healthy in that series! Who is the Nash hater between the two of us!:bang:

Last edited:

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Great post

We lost that series with an underachieving Amare and severely banged-up and worn-out Nash, in 6 games against the eventual champion! And please give Nash some praise that we'd have won it, had he been semi-healthy in that series! Who is the Nash hater between the two of us!:bang:

Underachieving Amare? He got molested by the "lucky" Odom that entire series and looked like he never played defense in his life. It was pretty obvious that was the end, the final rush to a championship trophy.

And you do realize how pathetic Dragic was after that season right? And the fact that Robin Lopez continues to suck? Flashes in the pan aren't enough...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake