McCown benched, King to start

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I am surprised nobody has posted this yet.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/1121cards1121.html

Kent Somers
The Arizona Republic
Nov. 21, 2004 12:00 AM

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]CHARLOTTE, N.C. - The Cardinals begin today within inches of cresting Mount Mediocrity. If they're to reach that summit, it apparently will be with a new starting quarterback.

Coach Dennis Green has decided to bench Josh McCown, who started all nine games this season, in favor of Shaun King, a person close to the situation said. McCown and King split work with the first team last week in practice, and Green informed players of the decision Saturday night.

Cardinals coaches and players were not available for comment late Saturday night.
Cardinals practices are closed to the media, but Green said this week that the two quarterbacks had split repetitions during the week. While it was speculated that Green might be quick to replace McCown during today's game against Carolina, there was no indication he planned a change in the starting lineup.

The Cardinals (4-5) are in the playoff race, thanks to a stingy defense, and Green often has voiced his dissatisfaction with the offense. Until this weekend, however, he had firmly backed McCown, a third-year pro in his first full season as a starter.

But McCown has struggled the past two weeks. Last week against the Giants, he threw for just 90 yards and missed some open receivers downfield. He also took a vicious hit while running for a first down , although he was healthy enough to practice all last week.

McCown has completed 57 percent of his passes this year and has been intercepted only four times. But he also has only six touchdown passes, and Green has bemoaned the lack of big plays produced by the passing game.

King, in his sixth NFL season, signed with the Cardinals as a free agent last spring and has played in only one game this year. He spent his previous five seasons with Tampa Bay and hasn't started a game in two years.

Reaching .500 is goal that has teased and eluded the Cardinals for most of their previous 16 seasons in Arizona.

That doesn't diminish what they could accomplish today with a victory over Carolina at Bank of America Stadium.

The Cardinals have made a long, arduous ascent since starting the season 0-3. They've won four of their past six games. At 4-5, they're in the playoff hunt - like most every other NFC team - and are within a win of being .500 with six games to play.

They haven't been .500 after 10 games since 1998, the only time they've been to the playoffs since moving to Arizona.

"I think if you start the season and lose your first game, you're striving from that point on to get back to where you started," Green said last week.

Winning today would allow them to look ahead to another big climb - making the playoffs. The Cardinals are only a game out of first in the NFC West, and a 9-7 record probably would be good enough to earn a wild-card berth in the playoffs.

Green has preached to his players that winning in November sets them up for the stretch run. Three of their last four games are against division foes.

"So far," said safety Ifeanyi Ohalete, checking the calendar on an electronic device that does everything but his laundry, "we're 2-0 in November. If we're able to win this game, that will make us 3-0."

You still with him?

"There will be some 4-5 teams that will lose this week and there will be some 5-4 teams that lose this week," he said. "If we get to 5-5, that will put us right in the thick of things."

Really, the Cardinals are in the thick of things now. Nine NFC teams are either 4-5 or 5-4, and only two teams, Atlanta and Philadelphia, have fewer than four losses.

A loss today would severely damage the Cardinals' playoff hopes. It would drop them two games below .500 with six to play. Because it likely would take nine victories to make the playoffs, they would have to win five of their final six games.

"Each game is going to be close," defensive end Bertrand Berry said. "At this point, everybody knows everybody pretty well, so there is not going to be room for much error."

The Cardinals have done a better job of closing out games since blowing the San Francisco game last month. They beat Miami two weeks ago with a touchdown drive in the final two minutes, and last week they held the Giants scoreless in the second half.

"I think we learned a big lesson, even though it was hard and hurt at the time," Berry said of the overtime loss to San Francisco.

"I think we learned that you can't allow a team to get any kind of momentum when the game is close."
[/font]

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
I don't agree with this right now. The team has won two in a row, and although McCown has struggled, the team is winning. Hopefully King can keep it going though!

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
IMO this shows that Green really wants to win and will do whatever it takes. This is a gut call, and it should be very interesting. If all-of-a-sudden WRs start getting open or Freddie Jones suddenly becomes all-pro material, we'll know it was the QB all along. Maybe it's temporary, maybe not.

This is going to be an interesting game, to say the least.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
bashers on the left, mccownites on the right. LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This is pretty late.. I bet there are several ASFNer's asleep right now and will wake up to this. I think it's about time actually, not because I know King will be the answer. It's more not knowing. I want to know how our OL is doing, how our receivers are doing, how our TE's and RB's are doing. Hopefully King is credible enough to do that...

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:thumbup:

I want to see what King has in him. I've given Josh the bennie of the doubt for quite some time, and he has not produced. 90 yards with THOSE receivers? We are facing a tough defense, and I'm very happy to see this change. I like Josh, as a person and as a competitor, but he has not produced to date. He is below average, and I, even pulling for him, wanted at least average.

King has proven himself in the past, and is a solid backup. Let's see what he can do. It's not like Boldin is benched for Karl Williams here. It's a backup for a backup, in theory. McCown wouldn't start for most teams.

I think McCown has done a decently poor job, but has kept INTs down. I might guess King will have one or two INTs tomorrow, but I think we will be in the 250-300 yards receiving range, which I will take. This offense is NOT producing across the board, and hopefully they will now.

I am fully behind this move, and willing to give King his shot. Denny has turned around many QB's careers.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow - I'll believe it when I see it - but this makes tomorrow's game - AND ESPECIALLY THE AFTERMATH - much more interesting.

I am dying to see what anyone else could do with this offense. If this story's true, I think that's Denny's main line of thinking . . . but I will repeat - REPEAT - I don't think either one of those guys is the long term answer for this club, plain and simple and if King looks as bad as Josh has, you'll be sure that I will be amongst the first to rip him a new one as well.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
green machine said:
I don't agree with this right now. The team has won two in a row, and although McCown has struggled, the team is winning. Hopefully King can keep it going though!

I wonder if this has to do with the shot that McCown took last week (he still might be feeling the effects of that ... I think he only practiced twice this week), it may also be due Josh's ineffective play the last couple of games(good enough for wins but nothing to write home about), or maybe both.

If McCown or King is our QB then so be it, whoever is starting just needs to get the damn job done.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Can't fault Green with this - if he had King ready to switch at halftime as a pre-caution; why not just go ahead with King all the way?

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
This game just became even more intreasting!

I wish I could say I'm shocked. But I'm really not. McCown is banged up and hasn't performed to the level expected.

Shaun King is our starter for this game atleast... So I will support him. Let's go King! Show us what can do!

Imagine if this offense clicks and becomes the force we expected it to be? Coupled with this great defense... Man, we could tear it up!!

I'm VERY excited about this game. Even more so than before.

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
My gut reaTIoN is.....I don't like this.

Just too many mind games.

Which, I guess to be trendy, may not be necessarily such a bad thing ! :shrug:

Here we have the "11th hour" "press release" by Green. Playing it the way he's playing it. Which is What? What IS he really trying to do??????

The options:

1. - It's Carolina, totally decimated by injuries. It shouldn't take a holy dispensation to win this game. ... Josh is hurting, he's taken a beating. He probably shouldn't be playing this week after that outrageous hit he took...
So go ahead and give King the start and rest Josh....But given that scenario ...what I personally don't like... is that in the way Green has played this scenario, at least to the media, he's once again doing it in a way that more than anything seems to demontrate for any one who may have any doubts...that Dennis Green Rules!!!!!!
So WTF really is going on here?
As an above all else Cardinal fan, I only care about Dennis Green and his act to the extent that he really and truly improves the situation and helps make the Cards a more successful team.
I'm going to be really interested to see what actually transpires the net 2-3 games. Is the team actually for the most part, buying into his "I am the genius and you will do what I say or else" routine ? Is there a "homey" feeling within the team itself?....so to hell with the media "we'll just do what we need to do". and feed them some doggie bones. ?
Count me as a little skeptical right now.
Personally I believe what Dex said......rule by fear!!!
I say not good.
Denny seems to like to squeeze everyone's nuts....for his benefit. Basic rule of nature, it sometimes sadly seems.
Is Josh still his man? Was he a genius before and now suddenly he's not?
Is the confidence he preached to everyone now unjustified?
Is he trying to get Josh to "play better" with the fear factor?
Are "they" really "family"?
......somehow right now I'm having some serious doubts.....I can only say, Clancy Pendergast seems to have done far more than Dennis Green has...
But we shall see......like I said...the next 2-3 games should reveal a lot of where this team is headed in the near future.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
I stop caring who's behind the center a long time ago, as long as we win thats all it matter now.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just woke up and saw this. WOW!!

Its all about winning. Denny feels that King gives the Cards a better chance to win.

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Well

IF we lose, all the crap that's been talked about possible playoffs, with the bets guy to give us the chance, just became bull. IF we win, and King doesn't have a "stellar" game it's still bull.
That said, let's GO CARDS!! GIMME RED!!

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I agree with Gee

if King finishes out the season, Navarre will be starting next year. Although that isn't quite what he said. Champion QB's the last 4 years have all been pocket QB's.

black

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
WOW!! Be careful what you wish for.............

I hope King gets it done.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
The only smart thing about this by Green is that he waited till Saturday to announce it. Carolina will have been game planning to go against Josh and not King. I don't like the move. If Josh is hurt from last week then okay, but if he is fine then start him. Ben Roethlisberger and Phillip Rivers were sitting there in the draft to be taken by us and Denny decided he was smarter than everybody else and took Fitz instead. I like Fitz, but how good would this team look with Big Ben right now. If Green is going to let anyone play I think it should be John Navarre. If Green is going to can McCown, then he might as well see what the kid can do.

MrY

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Somebody go wake up This_Guy

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I said it before.........

I support Green. If he thinks it's a good time for King , then so do I!

Lets go hunt down some Panther.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05