McCown benched, King to start

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To all Green bashers!!!

This goes out to all the Green bashers that claimed Green was an idiot, has to big of ego, blah, blah, blah.
The Green supporters have been telling you all along that Green will do whats best for the team. Need anymore proof?

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
jstadvl said:
if King finishes out the season, Navarre will be starting next year. Although that isn't quite what he said. Champion QB's the last 4 years have all been pocket QB's.

Navarre will be starting next year? As in starting in every game? I really don't think so.

Well, I'm behind King 100%. Its hard when you get attached to players. When you starting taking sides on whos best for the team. Then you start thinking "Well, I don't want to be wrong", and your ego gets involved, etc.

But, the most important thing, like azdad said, was that we put up a W today. A QB controversy would be bad for the team. So I hope we don't start flip flopping. I hope King throws for 500 yards and 5 touchdowns, and we win 63-0!

Lets Go Shaun King! :thewave: :band:

gamebird98

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The switch to King has yet to be proven "whats best for the team"...as far as Navaro..:D ...I saw him play at the big house..I hope he got the Cement out of his shoes!

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm sorry Crimson.

I'm missing your point about ego's and "I don't want to be wrong". If directed at me, I've said I'm a Cards fan and will back whomever is in. My point about who's better for the team is just that. If King throws for 100yds. and we win it's still a win, but doesn't settle the "McCown vs. King" discussion.
Lastly, Navarre is a very good young gun. Given a chance to play with the first stringers and a year of learning the system under his belt, as I said about the D pre season, we'll be pleasantly suprised.
OH I'm pretty sure I finished with GO CARDS!! Not king or McCown or Navarre.
Agree about the shoes game bird. LOL
Crimson, if your just speaking in general, my allegiance has always been to what's best for the team. No matter who it is.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
jstadvl said:
I'm missing your point about ego's and "I don't want to be wrong". If directed at me, I've said I'm a Cards fan and will back whomever is in. My point about who's better for the team is just that. If King throws for 100yds. and we win it's still a win, but doesn't settle the "McCown vs. King" discussion.
Lastly, Navarre is a very good young gun. Given a chance to play with the first stringers and a year of learning the system under his belt, as I said about the D pre season, we'll be pleasantly suprised.
OH I'm pretty sure I finished with GO CARDS!! Not king or McCown or Navarre.
Agree about the shoes game bird. LOL
Crimson, if your just speaking in general, my allegiance has always been to what's best for the team. No matter who it is.

Oh, sorry jstadvl, that part was not directed at you, but was in reference to my overt support for McCown.

CardsGuy

Registered
Reaction score
Cardinals bench McCown
By Darren Urban, Tribune

CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Cardinals coach Dennis Green has decided to bench Josh McCown and start Shaun King at quarterback today against the Carolina Panthers, an NFL source said Saturday night.

The Cardinals have won two straight and are 4-2 in their last six games. Yet the switch isn’t completely unexpected, since Green admitted this week he was alternating first-team practice reps between McCown and King. Practice is closed to the media.

McCown struggled in last week’s 17-14 win against the Giants, throwing for only 90 yards. He has just six touchdown passes this season, and has thrown for at least 200 yards only twice for the 4-5 Cards. But the Cardinals have had pass protection issues and top receiver Anquan Boldin has been available for only three games.

Players and coaches are unavailable for interviews the day before games. But last week, McCown acknowledged "I have to play better."

"That’s not a secret," McCown said. "I don’t walk around here thinking that how I’m playing is OK just because we’re winning."

The overall offensive struggles have frustrated Green all year, although he had given little hints that he’d bench McCown.

McCown did suffer some headaches after a helmet-to-helmet collision with Giants safety Gibril Wilson last week and was listed on the injury report with a sore neck, but he repeatedly said last week he felt fine and did not miss any practice. Green also did not mention McCown’s health as a problem.

King has appeared in one game this season, completing 5-of-6 passes for 40 yards against Atlanta in Week 3. King replaced McCown in the fourth quarter after McCown lost three fumbles in the 6-3 loss.

The Cardinals have had just four pass plays of at least 20 yards the past three games, including none last week.

McCown is in the final year of his original three-year contract and will be a restricted free agent after the season.

Contact Darren Urban by email, or phone (480) 898-6525

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
A surprising move, but let the Shaun King experiment begin. We'll know by 2:00 p.m. MST whether Shaun is/was the answer.

My personal feeling is that McCown has obviously struggled during the past couple of games -- despite being wins. This is a critical game today. If Green was ready to pull Josh at halftime, why not pull him for the entire game. Looking forward to see how King can throw the ball. Let's face it, most any QB can hand the ball off to the running back, it's throwing that is the differentiator.

Last edited:

CaliCards

Registered
Reaction score
McCown has not played superbly, but for what its worth, he won his last 2 games by not turning the ball over on crucial downs.

Now, King is another story because he has not started in 2 years.......and I can only hope he has 5 or 6 wins in him this season.

Gooooooooo Cards :cards: :cards: :cards: :cards: and counting!!

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Well, if King succeeds, it will show that our offense really just needed a competent QB under center. If he plays like McCown does, it will mean one of two things, IMO. One, that it's far more than the QB (which it is at least a little bit). Two, and far more likely, that we have TWO bad QBs on our team!

I, for my part, am hoping this fixes the offense. If McCown could have stormed back last week to do it, that would've been great. He didn't, and so bring on King. I like it.

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I like Josh but he has not played well. I believe the move to King is related to the neck injury.

Red Dawn

Go Big Red!
Reaction score
Here's a short article at the team site:

King To Start For Cards at Carolina
Arizona Cardinals head coach Dennis Green said Sunday morning that Shaun King will start at quarterback for the Cards when they take on the Carolina Panthers today at Bank of America Stadium.

While this will be King’s first start with Arizona, he owns a 14-8 career record as a starter for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, with whom he played from 1999-03. King takes over for Josh McCown, who started the first nine games of the season for the Cards.

http://www.azcardinals.com/news/news_details.html?iid=2411

I am puzzled as to why the last minute change. Perhaps Josh is still feeling the effects of the whiplash from the big hit last game. Or perhaps this is vintage Green.

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Crimson

no apology necessary. I too am a big supporter of Josh. I was really hoping this was the game he turned the corner, but, we'll never know now. Point is IF we lose, with either, we take more than one step back. So let's just hopw king lights it up and the "alley cats" get THUNDERSTRUCK!!

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Whether Jing gets it done or not I support this decision because Josh does
not appear to half the skills to read NFL defenses, the mental toughness to
succeed or fail and most of all "IT". I just don't see that something special
in this kid to believe he can lead Denny's offense. :fans: :thewave:
Thanks Denny!!!

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Everyone is right that this is all about winning now. I don't think King has the tools to be Green's type of QB over the long haul. I saw him quite a bit in Tampa. I am okay with him as a backup, but he never really developed into the total package. He still has too much trouble reading defenses and will force the ball into coverage. His deep ball often floats. His arm is just marginal and sometimes he loses his focus when throwing to the sidelines resulting in picks. He will remind you of Plummer in that respect. He looked better in preseason, but he showed "happy feet" at times in Tampa. He is much better between the 20s.

So why do I like him as a backup. He's very mobile. He throws the inside short ball well and exhibits good placement most of the time. When he does recognize the coverage, he usually hits his hot read. He's a good leader and can rally the troops. He's offers a nice change of pace from most starting QBs.

I think Green announced the change so late to prevent them from game planning for King. I expect their scout team emulated McCown all week. In fact they may not have even watched any film on King, which should help him.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love it. King may not be a long-term answer, but McCown certainly isn't a short-term answer.

Also, it must be the right thing to do because Denny said so, right?

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
All the best Mr. King. Get us a win today!

and remember this:

FEED THE QQQQQQQQQQ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Toro

Registered
Reaction score
Green likes his players to practice. Josh missed practice time this week due to the hit he took last week. I would guess that was part of the reason for the benching.

I hope King can be a smart QB and not lose the game for us. Josh has not been very good but at least he has not been making the dumb plays that cost the team turnovers, etc.

GO CARDS!

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
I love it. King may not be a long-term answer, but McCown certainly isn't a short-term answer.

Also, it must be the right thing to do because Denny said so, right?

My feelings exactly! Before I saw the article on the fantasy site, I said to my brother "Hmm. Quan or Fitz? Something tells me Quan is gonna break out this game." I like the move. Now let's get a W!

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just win, baby.

I've stayed out of the ridiculous King-McCown arguments, so I have no emotional investment in either guy. I don't care if King passes for 40 or 400 yards, as long as we win.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not too excited about the change, sorta give it a :| . If McCown is still hurt, then yeah, it makes sense, but I'm not going to jump for joy for King.

What really sucks is I woke up early and the stupid time change means I can't watch football for another 2hrs 20 mins.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the decision but I think the timing sucks, seems odd to wait until saturday to tell the guys involved and the team doesn't it?

Hopefully King will play well, we'll win, and it will be a non issue, but it's not typically a decision you make at the last minute.

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
thats fair...?

McCown gets 9 starts and King gets 1? I mean, I know King has more NFL experience, but I don't think its fair to write King off after one game.

I really think he's going to be better for us than McCown. Josh has done one thing really well, and thats not turn the ball over. Unfortunately, he hasn't done a great job at creating any offense. Our O-Line hasn't been spectacular, but it has given him some time to make some big plays that Josh hasn't made. I think Josh could be an above average NFL QB if he could ditch the tunnel vision.

I'm happy about this move and I expect King to throw 200 yards, 2 TDs and a pick today. If our Defense plays to form, we win by 2 TDs. But, whether King or McCown is behind center if our defense does not play to form, we don't win.

Scott MS said:
A surprising move, but let the Shaun King experiment begin. We'll know by 2:00 p.m. MST whether Shaun is/was the answer.

My personal feeling is that McCown has obviously struggled during the past couple of games -- despite being wins. This is a critical game today. If Green was ready to pull Josh at halftime, why not pull him for the entire game. Looking forward to see how King can throw the ball. Let's face it, most any QB can hand the ball off to the running back, it's throwing that is the differentiator.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
I like the decision but I think the timing sucks, seems odd to wait until saturday to tell the guys involved and the team doesn't it?

Hopefully King will play well, we'll win, and it will be a non issue, but it's not typically a decision you make at the last minute.

Maybe. But, if he made his mind up on Saturday morning King should start, should he have waited until Monday to announce a change?

Or, maybe since you caught onto his plan to bench Emmitt for going to Dallas, he decided to bench McCown instead so you don't run out of ammo for your conspiracy theories! :D

JasonKGME

I'm a uncle's monkey??
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:

Actually this may not be such a big suprise to the team and players themselves, rememeber in the article it did specify that King took half the snaps with the starting unit, that being said and while josh has been a great guy, some players may have been looking for this to happen.

I kinda feel about Josh the same way I felt about Dave Mac, great guy, would love to have him as a friend or relative but based on results dont really want them being the leader of my football team.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JasonKGME said:
Actually this may not be such a big suprise to the team and players themselves, rememeber in the article it did specify that King took half the snaps with the starting unit, that being said and while josh has been a great guy, some players may have been looking for this to happen.

I kinda feel about Josh the same way I felt about Dave Mac, great guy, would love to have him as a friend or relative but based on results dont really want them being the leader of my football team.

Boldin said way back early in the summer that King would be the starter before the season was over. Nobody should be very surprised.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05