McCown is a mobile QB - should start

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Toro said:
McCown is not the passer that Warner is but I would take his desire to win, mobility, and attitude over Warner any day.

WARNER HAS SCORED ONE TD IN TWO WEEKS. Stats (300+ passing yards) don't mean anything. Getting the ball in the endzone and winning is what matters. People say he has no running game support. McCown did not have one last year either.

Warner is a waste of time...and keeps are good D on the field too much.

:biglaugh:

Thats right I forgot mcCown is "Mr Redzone" lol

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Toro said:
Kicking 4 field goals vs. Larry Marnie is embarrassing. Couple of things that I don't like about Warner?

1. Why did Warner not attack the middle of the field until the last drive yesterday?
2. Never/rarely gets out of the pocket.
3. Rarely steps up in pocket
4. Threw too many balls to Charles Lee. Nothing against Lee but he is our #4 receiver.
5. Terrible clock management on the last drive.
6. Lacks the energy I would like to see in our QB.
7. Short term solution

Is Warner the only problem? NO. I agree with that. The other problems are the O Line and RB position. You can't change the entire line overnight.

McCown is not the passer that Warner is but I would take his desire to win, mobility, and attitude over Warner any day.

WARNER HAS SCORED ONE TD IN TWO WEEKS. Stats (300+ passing yards) don't mean anything. Getting the ball in the endzone and winning is what matters. People say he has no running game support. McCown did not have one last year either.

Warner is a waste of time...and keeps are good D on the field too much.

i keep hearing clock management complaints but as far as i saw boldin ran out of bounds with near 20 seconds left on the 3 yard line, if you go from the 14 and move to the 3 on the other side and have 20 seconds left u did a good job. BIG ruined our winning drive, not warner

gamebird98

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedRage
week1: 27/46 264 yards, 1td, 1int
week2: 29/42 327 yards 1 int

those are stats to be benched? im glad you guys dont coach football, hes doing better than mccown does when hes dreaming, why would we put him in? hes got alot of heart but hes NOT our best QB

But that doesn't factor in the two fumbles the numerous over throws and under throws.

Hey I am not ready to say put in McCown because I really do think it would demoralize the team. Today was not a good day.. no matter what the stats say. Kurt was not good today.

Not to mention, a lot of those yards are garbage yards...when the game is out of reach

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
BigRedRage said:
i keep hearing clock management complaints but as far as i saw boldin ran out of bounds with near 20 seconds left on the 3 yard line, if you go from the 14 and move to the 3 on the other side and have 20 seconds left u did a good job. BIG ruined our winning drive, not warner

Both screwed up pretty bad. Warner should have spiked the ball.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You folks are complaining about Warner ?

Kurt and our WRs were one of the good things these last 2 weeks, the oline is the problem.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
gamebird98 said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedRage
week1: 27/46 264 yards, 1td, 1int
week2: 29/42 327 yards 1 int

Not to mention, a lot of those yards are garbage yards...when the game is out of reach

Yesterday's game wasn't out of reach until the last play. The first game Josh got as much stat padding as Kurt did.

The big problem I see with Warner so far is YPA, way down from his Ram days and he's even down about .7 yards from what he did last year with the Giants. Some of that is run game but some of that is he's not hitting the deep balls. he's got 9 passes over 20 yards which is a very good pace, but he's yet to get one over 40 and we need to see him complete some of those.

He's better than Josh but so far it's not resulting any more points.

OP
OP
T

Toro

Registered
Reaction score
Warner is the starting QB on a team that is 0-2.

He is part of the problem. Don't let his passing yardage blind you from the fact that he is a immobile, disaster waiting to happen.

stewdog1

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Toro said:
Warner is the starting QB on a team that is 0-2.

He is part of the problem. Don't let his passing yardage blind you from the fact that he is a immobile, disaster waiting to happen.

Did you not watch last season? McCown had a better line last year and we all saw what he did.

Just think of Madden '06 and the vision passing cone. McCown's is paper thin.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
gamebird98 said:

That never happened in yesterday's game. It was never out of reach.

SunCityCarl

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
On a side note during the last drive Josh McCown went out on the field & proceeded to "pump up" the offense, especially the O-line. I know this didn't help us score but I thought it was showing everyone especially his teammates that they were "in" this game even though he wasn't "in the game". I'm sure it wasn't on TV but other Cards fans saw him for sure!

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
:biglaugh:

Thats right I forgot mcCown is "Mr Redzone" lol

Mr. Redzone fumble, that is. Just based on the Atlanta game from last season, Josh should never see an NFL field again in his lifetime. That was a debacle, and probably the primary reason he lost his starting job.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SunCityCarl said:
On a side note during the last drive Josh McCown went out on the field & proceeded to "pump up" the offense, especially the O-line. I know this didn't help us score but I thought it was showing everyone especially his teammates that they were "in" this game even though he wasn't "in the game". I'm sure it wasn't on TV but other Cards fans saw him for sure!

Great for him...let him be a cheerleader all he wants. Just don't ever put the ball in his hands.

If he were "in the game" I highly doubt we'd be "in the game" as we were.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
WARNER IS NOT THE PROBLEM!

McCOWN IS NOT THE ANSWER!

*steppingawayfrommicrophone*

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's laughable that anyone would be calling for McCown at this point. Warner has played fairly well and is the reason we've had any offense.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like McCown, but at this point Warner makes far better reads and far more accurate throws (hitting receivers in stride) than McCown. It's ridiculous for people to point out a few bad throws. Every QB throws incompletions, and Warner's completion percentage has been very good, especially considering all the dropped passes.

I wouldn't mind seeing McCown brought on short yardage and goal-line situations, though, to add the threat of the sneak or bootleg.

...dave

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I wonder if they are calling for Brad Johnson in Minnesota?!?

Josh is a great guy. But the problem is offensive line, not QB.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shipp averaged 4.5 yds per carry yesterday and did not lose a fumble. That, and 350 yds passing offense, should have led to several TDs. Offensive line penalties hurt us but the biggest screwups and failures in the red zone were Kurt Warner's.

If we go to Seattle and Warner keeps on screwing up, I don't think there is any doubt Denny Green will yank him.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
anyone who thinks Warner is the reason we are 0-2 or should be
benched has lost their mind and should be banned from this site forever.
It just kills me to read comments from several people toast our players, coaches and management in preseason and rip them after 2 games.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
Mr. Redzone fumble, that is. Just based on the Atlanta game from last season, Josh should never see an NFL field again in his lifetime. That was a debacle, and probably the primary reason he lost his starting job.

1) this is beyond idiotic. If a player was to never play again due to turnovers there would be a bunch of HOFers that would never live up to their eventual greatness.

Will McCown ever live up to his potential? :shrug: But to say get him the hell out of the league is just plain moronic

2) This also very bad timing considering the fact Warner fumbled the ball 3 times in the red zone (twice in theirs, once in ours).

Having said that though

3) WARNER IS NOT THE PROBLEM. I repeat WARNER IS NOT THE PROBLEM

Our inability to block and run the ball (yes they are related) remains to be our offensive problems. Some continue to ignore the brunt issue and instead prefer to talk about the positional players (i.e. WR, QB, RB).

We've had this problem for years and at least for once we tried to address it. However the Oline is filled with flaws and has no continuity whatsoever. If they do not get together real real soon this is gonna be a long year and what the positional players will do is of little importance

RUN THE BALL. STOP THE RUN. Until we do these 2 things, we will not be a consistent winner in the NFL

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser