McNabb: Too late for an apology from Limbaugh

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Originally posted by WizardOfAz
Who forced him?

I believe the entire quote was:
to cause such a stir as to make him resign over it

Nobody made him resign, but the culprits are many that made it into such a big deal as to make that the least painful alternative.

OP
OP
WizardOfAz

WizardOfAz

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by SirChaz
Nobody made him resign, but the culprits are many that made it into such a big deal as to make that the least painful alternative.

Please I read this type of thing somewhere else too.

Limbaugh would wear a firing from the Disney Emprie as a badge of honor.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Limbaugh would wear a firing from the Disney Emprie as a badge of honor.

:p Funny and probably true.

IMO I don't think he wanted to put the NFL Countdown guys through any more questions about it. I imagine he feels bad for the other guys on the show that they had to go through this.

Wow, I am still somewhat amazed this is worthy of this much discussion.

maddogkf

You think KFCs still open
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sun Devil Stadium, Sect 27, Row 34, Seat 8
Wow - a guy tries to work for a few days & misses three temporary bannings....damn!

I, for one, don't give a rat's ass about Limboaugh, I think he is a fat pompous blow hard...but that's just my opinion ;)

I don't think he had any business being in football in the first place.

I say hire some Hooters girls, let them jump up & down on trampolines & serve us beer & wings. Let them break down the cover 2, soft zone, zone blitz & I might listen!

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
mY question is,if the media is color-blind how come Deion Sanders received absolutely no flack at all the week before when he said the way beat Tampa is to run your big BLACK back up the middle on them.I don't care what rush or Deion have to say about anything but if you're going to crucify one then why not the other?Some people could take Sanders's comment as being more racist. Is it ok for him to say it because he's black and talking about about a black player?The only comment i heard was from Jim Nantz who said to Deion" i'm glad you said that and not me." My point is the standard should be the same for whoever spoke in racial overtones.

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by maddogkf
This is my 2000 post...Here's some confetti

You must be registered for see images

freaking newbie

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Originally posted by maddogkf
I, for one, don't give a rat's ass about Shockley, I think he is a fat pompous blow hard...but that's just my opinion ;)

Hey, are you calling me fat?

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
McNabb: Too late for an apology from Limbaugh

Associated Press
Oct. 1, 2003 11:45 AM

PHILADELPHIA - Donovan McNabb isn't looking for an apology from Rush Limbaugh, who said he was overrated because the media wanted to see a black quarterback succeed.

It's too late for that.

"He said what he said. ... I'm sure he's not the only one that feels that way but it's somewhat shocking to actually hear that on national TV," the Philadelphia Eagles' quarterback said of Limbaugh at a news conference Wednesday. "An apology would do no good because he obviously thought about it before he said it."

Before McNabb led the Philadelphia Eagles to a 23-13 victory over the Buffalo Bills on Sunday, Limbaugh said on ESPN's pregame show that he didn't think McNabb was as good as perceived from the start.

"I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well," Limbaugh said. "There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

Limbaugh didn't back down from his comments during his syndicated radio talk show Wednesday.

"All this has become the tempest that it is because I must have been right about something," Limbaugh said. "If I wasn't right, there wouldn't be this cacophony of outrage that has sprung up in the sports writer community."

The NFL disclaimed any responsibility.

"ESPN knew what it was getting when they hired Rush Limbaugh," league vice president Joe Browne said. "ESPN selects its on-air talent, not the NFL."

Chris Berman, who anchors the ESPN show, described himself as "a New England Democrat" but added "I don't think Rush was malicious in intent or in tone."

"As cut and dry as it seems in print, I didn't think so when it went by my ears," he said. "I probably should have looked to soften it.

"We're sorry we upset a guy who got off to a rough start. We don't need to be in the middle of his travails.

"As the quarterback of the show, I feel bad about it. I don't think it was meant the way it came out. I don't think that defines the way Rush feels about people."

McNabb, who was runner-up for the league MVP award in 2000 and has led the Eagles to two straight NFC championship games, said he has no quarrel with Limbaugh's comment on his playing ability. "I know I played badly the first two games," he said Wednesday.

McNabb got off to the worst start of his career this season and was the NFL's lowest-rated starting quarterback after losses to Tampa Bay and New England. Still, the Eagles are 36-22 in games he started.

Limbaugh reiterated Wednesday that he doesn't think McNabb is a bad player, just that he isn't as good as some media members think he is.

"This is such a mountain out of a molehill," he said. "There's no racism here, there's no racist intent whatsoever."

McNabb said Wednesday that Limbaugh's comments about his race were out of bounds and added that someone on the show should have taken him on. Among the other panelists are former players Michael Irvin and Tom Jackson, both of whom are black.

"I'm not pointing at anyone but someone should have said it," McNabb said of the panelists, who also include Berman and Steve Young. "I wouldn't have cared if it was the cameraman."

Seven black quarterbacks started games last Sunday. Two other blacks who regularly start, Daunte Culpepper of Minnesota and Michael Vick of Atlanta, were out with injuries.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/1001mcnabb.html

I think it's amazing that he didn't blame Clinton for Mcnabb's slow start!!!!

Az240z

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Originally posted by Pariah
I don't have an opinion on Limbaugh one way or another, but I don't think what he said was racist; nor was he saying McNabb wasn't good enough, just overrated.

Limbaugh is no racist, Like Jimmy the Greek he could have gone all day without making any comment on race as that is a losing topic everytime. If there is one place where you will not be overratted it is in Philly as those fans will boo you no matter who, what color, how good, or how bad you are. They even booed Mike Schmidt and Sonny Jurgensen.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Re: Re: oh, yeah....

Originally posted by dopleganger
andi, andi, andi. (I say in a pitting voice). Thats becouse there talent level was or is now clear. These very qb's were vastly overrated at one time. Except for Blake, who I really like and am glad we got em. Blake is a good qb that is getting older however and I would have liked Leftwich but it was just not in the cards.

All qb's can and are overrated from time to time, not a big deal. I don't think this is some big conspiracy to eliminate white qbs so we have all black qbs. And I don't think Rush thought so either but I can't speak for him. No its just the natual tendency of liberals to promote there social agenda instead of just letting things happen naturally.

As far as your belief that there is no liberal bias - see my previos post.

Is there a spell check on here somewhere? A spell check would be nice for us right wing wackos that can't spell.

I was watching a black analysist on TV this morning. He noted when Williams was the first black QB taking Washington to the Superbowl there was a clear bias in the media wanting him to win so as to be the first black QB to win a superbowl. In the NFL I think that 80% of the players are black so if there is one place there is no bias or racism the NFL has to rank very high on the list. Detroit was just heavily fined for not interviewing a black coach before they hired Steve M. which seems dumb to me. If you see a coach you want and I do not care what color he is you go get him. The Cubs wanted Dusty Baker and so did I and I do not think we interviewed anyone else or wanted anyone else. Seems to have paid off as we are now even up with Atlanta in the playoffs after going something like 20 games under .500 last year.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Originally posted by dopleganger
Oh contrare my friend. I didn't mean that at all. Your opinion of Rush is your opinion but what is it bassed on? I am refering to all of the stuff I have read on this board(and the previous board) over the years. Specific examples excape me at the moment and are beside the point anyway.

We all have our biases. Thats a fact.

We don't always understand or comprehend them (including me). I have heard many things about Rush over the years and since I had actually lisened to hem quite a bit from time to time I knew they were either 1 taken our of context. 2 greatly missrepresented or 3 actual lies. I don't know why this would even be debated.

When ever some one has a strong opinnion on anything be it politics, football or basketweaving, somebody else will have just as strong of an opinnion on the otherside. And some of those people will attempt to discredit that other person. Especially if that person is percieved to be in a position of power or influence.

I really don't care what you think of Rush - I don't personnaly like him that much myself. He is too much of an elietest - though he will never admit it. How can we expect him to admit that when you can't even admit you have a bias?

Hows that. See I could have responded by saying "no I aint you are" to your full of crap comment. But would that make me?

what ever you think of Rush he has 20 million loyal listeners and cannot be dismissed as these people vote. there is no one now or ever has been who draws listeners like he does. I do not agree with all he says and think he would better off to leave politics out of a NFL situation but he said what he said and in the big scheme of problems we all face this is a grain of sand on the beach.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Originally posted by john h
what ever you think of Rush he has 20 million loyal listeners and cannot be dismissed as these people vote. there is no one now or ever has been who draws listeners like he does.

Howard Stern.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by john h
If there is one place where you will not be overratted it is in Philly as those fans will boo you no matter who, what color, how good, or how bad you are.

They even booed Mike Schmidt and Sonny Jurgensen.

And Santa Claus. :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05