MHJ

PlayerHater

Veteran
Reaction score
There was NO reason for Kyler to pull the ball down and scramble RIGHT INTO pressure:

You must be registered for see images attach

This clearly shows the issue. Kyler is always quick to scramble instead of standing in the pocket and delivering the ball.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's 5-6 seconds after he got the snap. The ball should be out of his hands in 3 seconds. Watch the video posted above and freeze it at 5 seconds in, you can see he broke down and started running for no reason instead of hanging in the pocket and throwing the ball to his wide open receiver who at this point has very clear separation.
Yes Hernandez and Conner did a fantastic job picking up the two blitzers. However Kyler didn't scramble. He shuffled to the left and kept his vision down field the entire time. He was still in the pocket at that point.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes Hernandez and Conner did a fantastic job picking up the two blitzers. However Kyler didn't scramble. He shuffled to the left and kept his vision down field the entire time. He was still in the pocket at that point.

Willfully ignorant it is.

Really lame, especially after posting your first “gotcha” still of why he should break the pocket with a guy chasing… which took place 5 seconds into the play when he was already scrambling.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you blind or just being willfully ignorant? He’s already moving out of the pocket in that shot and running RIGHT TOWARDS the only pressure.

Kyler literally takes 3 side steps to the left after pulling it down and is looking at his progressions the entire time. Kyler is never outside of Paris on the left side. He doesn't start to scramble until the DE finally gets around Paris.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Amon-Ra St. Brown had 13 yards receiving last night, so MHJ is in good company I guess. Yeah, I know they ended up winning all the same and Jameson Williams had a breakout game unlike any of our WRs.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyler literally takes 3 side steps to the left after pulling it down and is looking at his progressions the entire time. Kyler is never outside of Paris on the left side. He doesn't start to scramble until the DE finally gets around Paris.

Just posted the same thing on another thread. There's 3 pass rushers on the right including the guy who jumped that took away the hot read throw to Dortch that Kyler wanted to throw. There's only 2 pass rushers to the left, and the OL was sliding left so I think Kyler sliding left makes complete sense that's where the cleaner pocket should be.

IMO the problem is the guy who jumped is still there so Conner has to stay in and block him so we have only 4 receivers against 6 defenders. MHJ is now wide open but Kyler is sliding away from him and looking left. There's a point where he comes back, looks middle I assume for Conner, realizes he's not there, at that point if he sees MHJ he SHOULD throw the ball. IMO if he can set his feet he's got enough arm to get the ball there but he apparently didn't see him or didn't think he had time to get the throw off.

The guy who jumped the blitzer destroys that whole play he takes away the quick throw to Dortch and then he takes away our safety valve in Conner

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The pass shoulda already been gone to MhJ if he recognized like he shoulda…. Before the sidesteps…

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There was NO REASON to take “side steps” towards pressure. The pocket was CLEAN and if he hung in there like good QBs need to, he wouldn’t have limited his line of sight to one half of the field while his number 1 WR was WIDE OPEN for a TD.

And even when he started running back after running right into pressure, if he was looking downfield, Harrison was STILL wide open.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
He was going to dump it off to Dortch until the Blitzing defender jumped and then Kyler rightly pulled the ball down and started to scramble.
...while right in his sightline is a wide open speedster WR for the TD. He exactly should NOT have bailed to scrambled. He should have seen the play unfolding and got it to MHJ. This has been one of his problems--bailing and not seeing the field.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...while right in his sightline is a wide open speedster WR for the TD. He exactly should NOT have bailed to scrambled. He should have seen the play unfolding and got it to MHJ. This has been one of his problems--bailing and not seeing the field.

Now, now Stout… he didn’t scramble… he merely “side-stepped”… right into pressure.

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His field vision is what has always been in question…. He on film has missed so many wide open WRs over the years.

I still have hope his change in demeanor and all the clear hard work we’ve been seeing will translate moving forward…. We need this BAD!

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My biggest concern with MHJr is the lack of use that he got in the preseason. Clearly he and Kyler are not on the same page. It was a huge failure not letting at least MHJr get useful reps in the preseason to at least adjust to NFL game speed.

With Kyler's first pass to MHJr he threw a perfect back shoulder pass to MHJr that Harrison didn't correctly diagnose. That happens when your rookies don't get in game reps against live action.

Then Kyler couldn't throw a better pass to MHJr and he just flat out dropped it. I've never seen Harrison drop an easy pass like that. MHJr clearly was in his head at that point and the nerves just got to him. Again some real in game reps would have helped here probably.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
idk - kyler just sees pressure and avoids it - it's why you don't see him getting getting lit up right as he throws the ball - idk if it's a self preservation thing or making sure you have room to throw clean things but jittery? didn't he spend like 5 minutes on one play trying to find someone in the enzone only to take it in himself from like 15 yards out?

in the second half kyler was pressured the whole time - and petzing just kept calling inopportune conner plays limiting kyler's ability to make plays

kyler sucked big footballs during that pressure btw - im not on no johnnie cochran defense trip - but the whole offense and it's coordinator all sucked in the second half

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My biggest concern with MHJr is the lack of use that he got in the preseason. Clearly he and Kyler are not on the same page. It was a huge failure not letting at least MHJr get useful reps in the preseason to at least adjust to NFL game speed.

With Kyler's first pass to MHJr he threw a perfect back shoulder pass to MHJr that Harrison didn't correctly diagnose. That happens when your rookies don't get in game reps against live action.

Then Kyler couldn't throw a better pass to MHJr and he just flat out dropped it. I've never seen Harrison drop an easy pass like that. MHJr clearly was in his head at that point and the nerves just got to him. Again some real in game reps would have helped here probably.
It’s @bankybruce fault for buying that voodoo doll cursed knock off jersey!

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was NO REASON to take “side steps” towards pressure. The pocket was CLEAN and if he hung in there like good QBs need to, he wouldn’t have limited his line of sight to one half of the field while his number 1 WR was WIDE OPEN for a TD.

And even when he started running back after running right into pressure, if he was looking downfield, Harrison was STILL wide open.

But the Pressure was coming from the Right side initially. The Bills DE that was lined up over Paris actually dropped back into coverage and the Bills overloaded the right side with Two Blitzers. Kyler was moving in the pocket away from those blitzers. By the time that DT looped all the way around Paris the play was already broken. Technically the play was broken when Kyler aborted the pass to Dortch initially.

Listen I'm not saying Kyler shouldn't have seen a wide open MHJ down field at some point. I'm pointing out why I think he didn't see him. That initial screen shot that had people up in arms didn't tell the entire story.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now, now Stout… he didn’t scramble… he merely “side-stepped”… right into pressure.

But he didn't side step into pressure he stepped away from 3 rushers into 2 rushers, the problem is nobody on the left side was open. So then he starts to go back to the middle but his safety valve, Conner, stayed in to block the guy who took away the throw to Dortch.

I'm not saying Orlovsky is 100% right but he's absolutely right that the OL slid left so if you're the QB and you have fewer pass rushers to the left, and your OL sliding that way, that's where you think the pocket is cleaner. The problem is right as he made that decision and started to slide, MHJ breaks wide open because 2 of the DB's on the right froze on the pump to Dortch. If he stays on that read a half second longer he'll see that and throw to MHJ.

But it's absolutely not true he stepped into pressure, he had 3 pass rushers and 3 blockers on the right side, he had 2 pass rushers and 3 blockers on the left side, that's why he went that way.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
You look at that first screenshot with Dortch filling the void by the blitzer. Marvin has his man beat right there. The DB is curling in(thinking he has help deep) and Marvin is going deep. Murray was looking at the blitzer and not down the field. Otherwise, he makes that deep throw.
Point is, Marvin was open, then wide open, then wide wide open the entire play. Kyler watched the blitzer then panicked. Which is odd because the blitzer was still a pretty good distance away from him.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s @bankybruce fault for buying that voodoo doll cursed knock off jersey!
I mean, you're probably not wrong!

How about this, it he puts up a similar game this week, I'll burn it and record it and post it here! Deal?

Edit! I did forget to change my avatar! Corbin has been money since I took his down!

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You look at that first screenshot with Dortch filling the void by the blitzer. Marvin has his man beat right there. The DB is curling in(thinking he has help deep) and Marvin is going deep. Murray was looking at the blitzer and not down the field. Otherwise, he makes that deep throw.
Point is, Marvin was open, then wide open, then wide wide open the entire play. Kyler watched the blitzer then panicked. Which is odd because the blitzer was still a pretty good distance away from him.

I disagree. The whole reason MHJr ended up wide open was because the DB covering him peeled off to tackle Dortch as Kyler was in the process of throwing it to Dortch before aborting. My guess is that Kyler couldn't see what was happening behind the Blitzing DB that jumped in the air to block the pass. It's the whole short QB issue that comes with Kyler. After he pulls down the ball, Kyler immediately looks to his left for McBride which I'm assuming was his next progression.

If Kyler saw MHJr open he would have thrown it to him. Clearly he didn't see MHJr at all.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser