Michael Bennett Again

SunCityCarl

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
From The Star Tribune

Cardinals interested in trade for Vikings' Bennett
Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
September 22, 2005 VIKE0922.NOTES

Running back Michael Bennett resumed his role as the Vikings' nominal starting running back Wednesday, but his long-term future with the organization remains unclear.

Bennett's name once again has emerged in trade rumors, and a person with knowledge of the situation said the Vikings held cursory discussions this week with the Arizona Cardinals -- whose coach, Dennis Green, selected Bennett in the first round of the 2001 draft.

In-season NFL trades are rare, and no deal appeared imminent Wednesday. The league's trading deadline is Oct. 18.

But the Cardinals have pursued Bennett periodically since Green arrived last season, most recently before the April 2005 draft. Bennett is in the final year of his rookie contract and will be an unrestricted free agent this offseason.

Meanwhile, Bennett was working with the Vikings' first-team offense Wednesday during the portion of practice open to the media. Mewelde Moore, who replaced Bennett after he fumbled twice in the Vikings' 38-7 loss to Cincinnati, also saw time with the first team.

Bennett expressed frustration with what he considered a quick hook, but coach Mike Tice said: "I haven't lost any confidence in Mike because he had a couple of fumbles." Bennett said he cleared his head during a fishing expedition earlier this week.

"I'm definitely happy [Tice's] confidence is still there," Bennett said. "I'm not going to lose any confidence in myself and my abilities."

Two listed as doubtful

The Vikings listed receiver Nate Burleson (left knee sprain) and linebacker E.J. Henderson (right ankle sprain) as doubtful on their injury report. Neither player practiced Wednesday.

Burleson is not expected to play Sunday, and his status for next week's game at Atlanta is unclear as well. Henderson seems to have a slight chance to play but would be replaced by Dontarrious Thomas if he cannot.

Middle linebacker Sam Cowart (strained left calf) participated in a portion of practice and is expected to return to the lineup. Cowart, safety Darren Sharper (left knee sprain) and defensive end Kenechi Udeze (right calf strain) are listed as probable.

Meanwhile, quarterback Daunte Culpepper said his right knee is "just about 100 percent." Culpepper has been playing this season with an unspecified injury that has caused periodic swelling, athletic trainer Chuck Barta said.

"It feels the best it has felt in about two or three weeks," Culpepper said.

Etc.

• Zygi Wilf and his ownership group have offered Tice anything he needs to help turn around the 0-2 start. "But unfortunately I don't think there is anything today that they can do or any check they can write to help us get better," Tice said. "We have some things we have got to battle our way through. ... But it's nice to know that the owners are there for you."

• The Vikings signed defensive end Eric Coleman to the practice squad and released offensive lineman Shannon Snell.

• Cory Withrow and Melvin Fowler rotated at center with the first team during practice Wednesday.

• Vikings players scheduled a players-only meeting to hash through their 0-2 start. "You can only go so far living everything for the outside world," cornerback Fred Smoot said. "We're trying to win for us. We're not trying to win for everybody else who is doubting us right now. We're trying to pull together as a team. If you're going to do that, you have to do that starting in-house."

• Tice's daughter, Adrienne Tice, departed Wednesday morning for the University of Oregon, where she is a freshman. "It kind of takes a little out of you when your kids leave," Tice said. "You realize how lucky you are to have a family like I have."

Staff Writer Mark Craig contributed to this notebook. Kevin Seifert is [email protected].

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
does bennett really offer anything we don't have in jj? a smaller back with homerun speed that will be ineffective if the oline doesn't open a hole?

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
does bennett really offer anything we don't have in jj? a smaller back with homerun speed that will be ineffective if the oline doesn't open a hole?

At the least you would think they'd give J.J. this season to prove himself, and if necessary revisit Bennett at season's end when he's a FA and doesn't cost a draft choice.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good lord. I could understand interest in R. Williams. I could understand interest in any back with the ablility to break tackles on a regular basis. I cannot understand why we'd want Bennett.

:thumbdown

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And what the heck would we give up for him?!

I hope this is not a reality.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:

I don't really see the need for trading for a running back unless he has an eight foot vertical and a ten yard broad jump.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
krepitch said:
I don't really see the need for trading for a running back unless he has an eight foot vertical and a ten yard broad jump.

:notworthy :stupid: :biglaugh:

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
krepitch said:

:biglaugh:

:bhiich: -> to the RB with the 8ft vertical and 10yrd broad jump

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bennett is only 27 and he'll be a UFA after this season so I guess it's not stunning at 0-2 the Vikings might decide to move him. He is young enough to have some market value, but with Mewelde Moore and Ciatrick Fason behind him, they probably have no interest in keeping him beyond this year. So you try and trade him now for a pick, get more PT for Moore and Fason, and move on.

as to why we would be interested, Green loves to bring in guys he knows and trusts, Green drafted Bennett, and he may feel that right now Bennett is more ready to give him that HR threat at RB than JJ is?

The fact that the rumor comes out now is pretty intriguing I wouldn't have believed it during the preseason or offseason because we just picked JJ but it may be Green feels JJ is a bit further away from being ready than he expected when he picked him, so he wants to get Bennett now while he waits for JJ to be NFL ready.

Take away one 23 yard run this year and Bennett has 8 carries for 12 yards, but it's those 23 yard runs(and longer) that Green wants at RB and that's why he likes backs like Bennett.

I'm not a big fan of Bennett but I wouldn't be surprised to see this happen and if he can help us, I will be fine with it as long as we don't give up much for him.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
NO Freking WAY!!!

We need help on O-line or interior of D-line!

No runningback will succeed on our team with out O-LINE!!!

Plus, I dont want an RB on this team that will spend more time on the IR than on the field...

Last edited:

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not going to happen. Denny will not give up a draft choice for Bennett when he can get him for nothing after the season as he will be an unrestricted free agent. Also Denny WILL NOT give up on Arrington after playing only one game. Shipp and Arrington will both see plenty of snaps throughout the season. The line is the problem not the backs.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
az jam said:
Not going to happen. Denny will not give up a draft choice for Bennett when he can get him for nothing after the season as he will be an unrestricted free agent. Also Denny WILL NOT give up on Arrington after playing only one game. Shipp and Arrington will both see plenty of snaps throughout the season. The line is the problem not the backs.

That was my original thought too but the timing of this rumor makes me wonder if Green just thinks hell I'm 0-2, I need to jumpstart my run game now and Bennett might be able to do that while I wait for JJ to figure out the NFL?

I don't know, normally I'd agree with you Green isn't going to give up a pick for a guy due to be a FA, but I really don't think Green expected to be 0-2 at this point.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Buzz (once again) started in Minny and the fire has been fed by local AZ media (who, from what I've been able to hear, have no corroboration that talks have even taken place).

Then again, Bennett's main value to us (in my opinion) might be as a backup RB who knows Dennis' system from a RB perspective and can provide both veteran leadership and depth behind the two guys (Marcel and JJ) who'd remain ahead of Bennett on the depth chart.

What's that worth?

Pshhhhh (my Myron Cohen imitation) - Maybe a 6th or 7th round pick. (Maybe not).

Note - I hear Burleson is hurting. It wouldn't surprise me if Tice (who may be desperate for WR help) may be dangling Bennett in the hope of suckering Dennis into parting with BJ. (a lopsided trade - despite Johnson's disappointing performance to date).

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:

Note - I hear Burleson is hurting. It wouldn't surprise me if Tice (who may be desperate for WR help) may be dangling Bennett in the hope of suckering Dennis into parting with BJ. (a lopsided trade - despite Johnson's disappointing performance to date).

I will give up all hope if we get outsmarted by Mike Tice.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:

I would do that if they offered a pick as well. (I doubt they would) BJ has contributed nothing this year so far. He does not possess that speed that would make this offense scary.( besides the Oline problems) McCoy could replace him with speed. Just need to see if he can actually catch.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can see it now....we get Bennett and the crowd boos him since he doesn't have a cool little stadium foghorn sound.

:shrug:

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
I mentioned this on the other board, can we line up MB as a WR and have him be our Santana Moss, not sure how good his recieving skills are. but he definetly has the speed to be a home run threat.

Either way I am totally for it, there isn't exactly many OL guys on the trading block. Can anyone even imagine if Shipp gets hurt again, and we are forced to have JJ run the ball, talk about a 2-14 season. We have a chance to acually upgrade a position, we should take it. The oline will take time to gel, but they won't be this incomepitent the whole season. Bennett for a 5th rounder why not.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CardinalLaw said:
I mentioned this on the other board, can we line up MB as a WR and have him be our Santana Moss, not sure how good his recieving skills are. but he definetly has the speed to be a home run threat.

Either way I am totally for it, there isn't exactly many OL guys on the trading block. Can anyone even imagine if Shipp gets hurt again, and we are forced to have JJ run the ball, talk about a 2-14 season. We have a chance to acually upgrade a position, we should take it. The oline will take time to gel, but they won't be this incomepitent the whole season. Bennett for a 5th rounder why not.

I hate to say it but instead of saying IF Shipp gets hurt again we should probably say when. I like Shipp too but realistically his career tells us one thing, if he gets a lot of carries, he gets hurt. Hopefully Green is smart enough to limit his carries, Mac wasn't, guys who run like Marcel take a lot of hits and that's why he's been hurt so much, the leg was a fluke but all the other injuries weren't.

Seriously the only RB possibly available that I could see doing much behind our OL is Ricky and let's be honest he sat out a year, and we have no idea how dedicated he's going to be he admitted on 60 minutes he came back for the money. That and with Ronnie Brown struggling it's entirely likely the Dolphins no longer want to trade Ricky.

If Green is looking at Bennett to me it's gotta mean he thinks JJ isn't as ready as expected, I don't think you go and get a guy who's currently starting to be your #3 RB he's clearly not going to be happy in that situation, if you go and get him it's with the idea he'll start for you.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
If we can pick him up cheap, why not? Bennett is good if he is healthy. We need some help in the run game.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI Rich Eisen says the reason Bennett is out of favor with the Vikings is fumblitis, 2 in 2 games plus more in the preseason apparently.

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
FYI Rich Eisen says the reason Bennett is out of favor with the Vikings is fumblitis, 2 in 2 games plus more in the preseason apparently.
Well we can have Bennett who will get positive yardage and any run he could take to the house, and has fumblitis. Or we can JJ who goes down when there is slight breeze, gains negative yardage 9 out 0f 10 runs, and has fumblitis.

Still seams like a no brainer to me, when Shipp goes down and JJ is the GUY we might as well forfeit all are games till he is healthy.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CardinalLaw said:
Well we can have Bennett who will get positive yardage and any run he could take to the house, and has fumblitis. Or we can JJ who goes down when there is slight breeze, gains negative yardage 9 out 0f 10 runs, and has fumblitis.

Still seams like a no brainer to me, when Shipp goes down and JJ is the GUY we might as well forfeit all are games till he is healthy.

He only has 8 carries so I'm not sure how the 9 out of 10 works, and he hasn't fumbled since his 2nd preseason game.

In the preseason Bennett carried the ball 12 times for 19 yards and 3 fumbles.

Moore and Fason both had much better preseason stats than Bennett did, so did Williams. Hell I'm starting to wonder if the only reason Tice is playing Bennett is to showcase him for a trade to us?

Bennett fumbled twice against Cincy last week, and only handled the ball 4 times, 3 carries one catch. Tice benched him after the 2nd fumble and didn't put him back in. The offensive coordinator compared his fumbles to a golfer who keeps shanking drives, he said it takes time to get over it and he considered the problem very troubling.

I can see why the Vikings want to trade him, and his career says 9 fumbles in 50 games so this is atypical of his career but consider he has less than 600 carries in his 4+ year career and it's not like he's established he can be an everydown RB.

For a late pick I'd do it, the history says Shipp gets hurt if he gets too many carries, and right now it doesn't look like JJ is ready so you might as well get another RB but I don't expect Bennett will do a whole lot to change our run game. That has to come up front, but teams don't typically trade good OL's.