Michael Bennett Again

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
RUMOR ALERT****RUMOR ALERT****RUMOR ALERT

I do not believe this to be true in any way. In fact I find this completely unbelievable in every way...but here goes.

My sister lives in St Paul and a guy she works with said the rumor on sports radio is the Cards would get Bennett and MIN's 1st rounder for Quan.

AGAIN PLEASE LISTEN...I DO NOT BELIEVE THIS, JUST REPORTING WHAT SPORTS RADIO IN MIN IS REPORTING AS BEING THE DEAL BEING WORKED ON. THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE IN EVERY POSSIBLE WAY.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Now, for the actual basics of any deal...Bennett. I guess I am in the "Eh" camp on this one. He is better than Shipp but he is injury prone and the way the OL is currently playing, I am not sure his health will hold up. If it is for Johnson I guess that would be fine...Cards get a RB playing for a contract and get rid of an underperfoming WR.

I just don't see a deal for Bennett really makes this team much better. I would rather Green do what he has done with Step and Brown and DOckett et al. Get Arrington in there and coach him up because I would rather see JJ than Bennett.

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
AZCB34 said:

I do not believe this to be true in any way. In fact I find this completely unbelievable in every way...but here goes.

My sister lives in St Paul and a guy she works with said the rumor on sports radio is the Cards would get Bennett and MIN's 1st rounder for Quan.

AGAIN PLEASE LISTEN...I DO NOT BELIEVE THIS, JUST REPORTING WHAT SPORTS RADIO IN MIN IS REPORTING AS BEING THE DEAL BEING WORKED ON. THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE IN EVERY POSSIBLE WAY.
:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Thats a ******** fan that started it. There is no way in hell we get rid of Boldin, even is they offered 2 first rounders. We trade BJ if any reicever. Remember we were also gonna trade Berry, Dockett, Dansby and a 1st rounder for Moss.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
AZCB34 said:

If they want to throw in Williamson and Culpepper i would consider it. :)

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
CardinalLaw said:
:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Thats a ******** fan that started it. There is no way in hell we get rid of Boldin, even is they offered 2 first rounders. We trade BJ if any reicever. Remember we were also gonna trade Berry, Dockett, Dansby and a 1st rounder for Moss.

Actually it wasn't a fan but the actual guys on the radio doing the show...but optherwise I simply cannot believe this would ever happen. If it did, this site may physically explode. Denny is too smart to pull off that kind of deal...way too smart.

About the ONLY way it would happen like that is if there was something behind the scenes between Denny and Q and I seriously doubt that.

Like I said, truly unbelievable.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I should go a step further and say I wasn't even going to post such an unbelievable rumor but figured I would just in case the unthinkable happens and it really does pan out that way...never happen but just in case.

JasonKGME

I'm a uncle's monkey??
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
I like Shipp too but realistically his career tells us one thing, if he gets a lot of carries, he gets hurt.

OK I've been looking back over Shipp's career, the only injury I can find that actually caused him to miss any games with in 2004 when he broke his ankle in the pre-season scrimmage. And I thought that was kinda a fluke. And you definitly cant say he got that injur because he got a bunch of carries. He has no injury history in college and I could find no evidence of any other missed games due to injury, maybe I misses something....

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZCB34 said:

Yeah that sounds like some guy calling into a talk show saying we should trade Bennett and a first rounder for Boldin. no way you give Quan a new contract and then trade him and eat the signing bonus, just makes no sense at all.

I don't particularly think we're going to do a trade but if we're going to acquire a RB instead of looking at injury prone guys we should be looking at guys like Michael Turner of the Chargers, the new LaMont Jordan, big, fast, powerful, stuck behind a great RB. Chester Taylor with the Ravens is another guy not as big as Turner but very productive, good receiver, stuck behind Jamal Lewis.

Even an older guy like Aaron Stecker with the Saints who can return kicks, catch the ball and has done ok when starting due to injury.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
AZCB34 said:

They were saying that rumor in the offseason as well. They are just recycling it.

A few reasons why it wont work.

1. The cap hit of Quans bonus and Bennett coming here would push us over the cap or get us very close.

2. Bennetts up coming UFA. Which means he needs to be given a new deal in any trade idea, wont happen, see #1.

3. Becuase of #1 we wont be able to re-sign a few of our own key UFA's that I am positive of that we are working on before the midseason deadline.

4. BJ's lack of progression, there is not a single person behind Fitz that is a legit starting #1 or #2 WR.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
I can see it now....we get Bennett and the crowd boos him since he doesn't have a cool little stadium foghorn sound.

:shrug:

If this story is true it definitely would show that Green has no belief at all that Arrington is going to be the #1 guy here. That smells of no confidence in him at all IMO.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
JasonKGME said:
OK I've been looking back over Shipp's career, the only injury I can find that actually caused him to miss any games with in 2004 when he broke his ankle in the pre-season scrimmage. And I thought that was kinda a fluke. And you definitly cant say he got that injur because he got a bunch of carries. He has no injury history in college and I could find no evidence of any other missed games due to injury, maybe I misses something....

His injuries are not game missing injuries they are a ton of nagging injuries that keep him out of practice later on in the season, and he losses his effectivness becuase of it. Just look at his stats as the year goes on, you can easily tell by the stats and watching him play as the year goes on that he wears down very fast becuase of his running style.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
does bennett really offer anything we don't have in jj? a smaller back with homerun speed that will be ineffective if the oline doesn't open a hole?

He has a 1200yd NFL season but that being said, I would still rather have JJ and if we trade for a RB...let it be Ricky.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JasonKGME said:

I said the leg was a fluke too.

However, 2002 Shipp had knee, quad and stomach injuries that slowed him. He played with all the injuries but they were repeatedly cited here as reasons why Shipp's production fell off during the year.

in 2003 Shipp had 80+ carries in 3 games and then got pulled early in a blowout due to a knee contusion and a forearm injury. The next week he still had the forearm problem and then had a toe problem. Shipp himself said the forearm injury was related to all the carries he was just beat up.

I'm not saying he's fragile at all but the way he runs he takes a lot of hits and he gets banged up, wears down, and becomes less effective. The perfect way to use him is splitting carries with Arrington. That's why I keep saying if Green is smarter than Mac and watches the carries, we'll be ok, but if Green does what Mac does and gives Shipp 20-25 carries a game, he'll probably get hurt again.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shane H said:
If this story is true it definitely would show that Green has no belief at all that Arrington is going to be the #1 guy here. That smells of no confidence in him at all IMO.

The story I just read from a minnesota writer was that after Bennett was benched last week he was visibly upset and complained that Tice had no confidence in him. It then said that the Cards had "made a cursory inquiry" about a trade, and then Tice came out and said Bennett is the starter and he had not lost confidence in him.

It sounds like if we really asked about him it was only after it appeared he had been benched for fumbles and was going to have such little market value the cost in a trade would be neglible.

I agree that getting Bennett would indicate this year we weren't expecting JJ to be the #1 guy.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
AZCB34 said:

I'd throw myself out the nearest window if this deal takes place.

Also, add me to the SAY NO TO BENNETT DEAL bandwagon. He's fragile as hell. If they're going to squat a pick for a fragile back, I'd rather it be Fred Taylor. At least when he's healthy, he can break a tackle.

Last edited:

JasonKGME

I'm a uncle's monkey??
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
I said the leg was a fluke too.

However, 2002 Shipp had knee, quad and stomach injuries that slowed him. He played with all the injuries but they were repeatedly cited here as reasons why Shipp's production fell off during the year.

in 2003 Shipp had 80+ carries in 3 games and then got pulled early in a blowout due to a knee contusion and a forearm injury. The next week he still had the forearm problem and then had a toe problem. Shipp himself said the forearm injury was related to all the carries he was just beat up.

I'm not saying he's fragile at all but the way he runs he takes a lot of hits and he gets banged up, wears down, and becomes less effective. The perfect way to use him is splitting carries with Arrington. That's why I keep saying if Green is smarter than Mac and watches the carries, we'll be ok, but if Green does what Mac does and gives Shipp 20-25 carries a game, he'll probably get hurt again.

Problem with that idea is all players play nicked up, saying he had a couple of naggin injuries does not make him likely to miss time due to injuries. I don't think Shipp will get injured if you give him 20-25 carries a game, nor do I think he'll tire out twords the end of the season, I think he got tired out in 2002 and 2003 twords the end because alot of teams were playing with 8 men in the box daring the team to win with the pass which was pretty easy for most teams to do concidering how bad our passing was in 2002 and 2003, (ranked 29th in 2002 with a whopping 171.2 yards/game and 18 TD's for the season, and 2003 ranked 23rd in the league because we were able to average 184.9/yards per game but still only 18 TD's). Noone was afraid of our passing game and they took advantage of that by constantly stacking 8 guys in the box.

Our passing game this year is ranked 4th at 292 yards/game allthough only 1 TD, I have only seen 8 men in the box a couple of times, I think this will allow Shipp to last much longer and actually end up being even more effective.

Allthough I certainly am not against giving JJ a couple of extra carries a game to keep Shipp fresh mind you, JJ needs some touches to get into the NFL flow and hopefully take off and then we can have the thunder/lightning like NYG with Barber and Jacobs.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
clif said:
Some fans seem to like Shipp for Bennett straight up

http://www.purplepride.org/vikes/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=14003&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

i wouldn't be too heart broken.

Yeah I probably wouldn't be heartbroken but I fail to understand why they are trading for Bennett...just doesn't seem to be logic to it because I would think the intention would be to sign him long term and then that means JJ is already a bust in Denny's mind?? It is one thing for us fans to go off half-cocked about JJ being a bust but I think Denny pulling this deal may mean he has already given up on JJ as an every down back.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZCB34 said:
Yeah I probably wouldn't be heartbroken but I fail to understand why they are trading for Bennett...just doesn't seem to be logic to it because I would think the intention would be to sign him long term and then that means JJ is already a bust in Denny's mind?? It is one thing for us fans to go off half-cocked about JJ being a bust but I think Denny pulling this deal may mean he has already given up on JJ as an every down back.

There is no doubt that if this trade happens that Denny does consider JJ a bust. The fact that the Cards even inquired rings of it as well.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shane H said:
There is no doubt that if this trade happens that Denny does consider JJ a bust. The fact that the Cards even inquired rings of it as well.

Don't underestimate the adoration Denny has for Bennett. Green may not think JJ is the guy this season, or he may. Regardless, if he can get Bennett for cheap, he'll do it. He'd do it if he had a top 5 back on his roster. Denny loves the crap out of MB, for whatever reason. I don't think it is indicative of anyone being a bust. I think that's just the way Denny works...Bennett is his guy, and he likes having his guys around.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JasonKGME said:
Problem with that idea is all players play nicked up, saying he had a couple of naggin injuries does not make him likely to miss time due to injuries. I don't think Shipp will get injured if you give him 20-25 carries a game, nor do I think he'll tire out twords the end of the season, I think he got tired out in 2002 and 2003 twords the end because alot of teams were playing with 8 men in the box daring the team to win with the pass which was pretty easy for most teams to do concidering how bad our passing was in 2002 and 2003, (ranked 29th in 2002 with a whopping 171.2 yards/game and 18 TD's for the season, and 2003 ranked 23rd in the league because we were able to average 184.9/yards per game but still only 18 TD's). Noone was afraid of our passing game and they took advantage of that by constantly stacking 8 guys in the box.

Our passing game this year is ranked 4th at 292 yards/game allthough only 1 TD, I have only seen 8 men in the box a couple of times, I think this will allow Shipp to last much longer and actually end up being even more effective.

Allthough I certainly am not against giving JJ a couple of extra carries a game to keep Shipp fresh mind you, JJ needs some touches to get into the NFL flow and hopefully take off and then we can have the thunder/lightning like NYG with Barber and Jacobs.

I agree that Shipp saw stacked defenses in 2002 and 2003 later in the year, with the WR injury problems in 02 for sure he saw stacked defenses.

If you look back over 2002 and 2003 you can find stories each year about Shipp skipping practices, limited in practices etc. It's a function of the way he plays. Just like last week when he ran over that safety he looks for contact .I'm sure all Rb's who get close to 300 carries a year are beat up too
but Shipp has had it happen in years where he's much closer to 200 than 300.

I'd say right now the ideal is 15 carries Shipp, 10 carries Arrington unless of course one guy just has a "hot hand" and then you play him more.

I guess the real ideal is 20 carries Shipp 15 Arrington, because that would mean we were running out the clock with a lead!

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Shipp skipping practices,
That sure does make him sound like a slacker. You calling him a slacker? I think you're calling him a slacker. Hey everybody--Russ is calling Shipp a slacker!

Let's get him!

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
Don't underestimate the adoration Denny has for Bennett. Green may not think JJ is the guy this season, or he may. Regardless, if he can get Bennett for cheap, he'll do it. He'd do it if he had a top 5 back on his roster. Denny loves the crap out of MB, for whatever reason. I don't think it is indicative of anyone being a bust. I think that's just the way Denny works...Bennett is his guy, and he likes having his guys around.

I find it strange that with the benefit of hindsight, Denny would still be so in love with bennett knowing his penchant for getting hurt. Denny comes across to me as a guy who really doesn't like players who miss games or practices due to injury (hence his no practice, no play thing he has). I would think, even though he is a Denny guy, that Denny would be hesitant to go after a guy who cannot seem to stay healthy

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:

Well off that site apparently Green called Bennett a "godsend" after drafting him so yeah there does appear to be some sort of higher connection between the two.

With Green there's also the distinct chance that he's planting this stuff to light a fire under JJ. First he leaks that Shipp may start even after JJ's over the flu, then he plants they've talked to the Vikings about Bennett.

I don't know, we haven't heard anything to imply JJ isn't working hard and needs a kick in the pants but with Green he loves to use fear as a motivator.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:

Last I checked Arrington could be called his guy? You trying to say that its not indicative of JJ being a bust is hope at its highest level. If he had any confidence in JJ we wouldnt be looking for a RB there would be no need.