Michael Bennett Again

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Well off that site apparently Green called Bennett a "godsend" after drafting him so yeah there does appear to be some sort of higher connection between the two.

With Green there's also the distinct chance that he's planting this stuff to light a fire under JJ. First he leaks that Shipp may start even after JJ's over the flu, then he plants they've talked to the Vikings about Bennett.

I don't know, we haven't heard anything to imply JJ isn't working hard and needs a kick in the pants but with Green he loves to use fear as a motivator.

Didn't he draft him after his star RB (his name completely escapes me right now...Smith??) suddenly retired?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZCB34 said:
I find it strange that with the benefit of hindsight, Denny would still be so in love with bennett knowing his penchant for getting hurt. Denny cojes across to me as a guy who really doesn't like players who miss games or practices due to injury (hence his no practice, no play thing he has). I would think, even though he is a Denny guy, that Denny would be hesitant to go after a guy who cannot seem to stay healthy

I agree. It's seemingly out of character the love Denny has for this guy. I honestly DON'T put it past him to trade Q for MB. Thank god he doesn't do trades by himself or that would be a reality, I'm 99% sure of it.

I think MB has pictures of Denny with farm animals or something...it's about the only thing that would explain his obsession with the guy.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I followed Denny for the 10 years that I lived in Minneapolis and know that Denny rarely makes trades and hates giving up draft choices. Come Sunday you will see Shipp and Arrington getting carries. Sorry but I don't believe any of this trade crap. I think the offensive line will begin to improve and that Arrington will benefit from it.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Shane H said:
Last I checked Arrington could be called his guy? You trying to say that its not indicative of JJ being a bust is hope at its highest level. If he had any confidence in JJ we wouldnt be looking for a RB there would be no need.

I would think JJ would be considered a Green guy simply because he was drafted by him...good point.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
I think MB has pictures of Denny with farm animals or something...it's about the only thing that would explain his obsession with the guy.
One thing explains it: Speed.

...and of course, the obligitory "He knows the system" line.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
That sure does make him sound like a slacker. You calling him a slacker? I think you're calling him a slacker. Hey everybody--Russ is calling Shipp a slacker!

Let's get him!

Just a guy who needs his carries limited.

but as someone else just posted, Green has a problem with players who don't practice, except for Randy Moss apparently.

Despite my constant defending of JJ, I do like Shipp and I do think he should start right now. I just don't want us doing what Mac did and overusing him and then reading Shipp has bruised shoulders etc. Use the 2 as a RBBC.

FYI, anybody else think this thread is just killing K9 because he's not allowed to dump on Shipp? :D

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shane H said:
Last I checked Arrington could be called his guy? You trying to say that its not indicative of JJ being a bust is hope at its highest level. If he had any confidence in JJ we wouldnt be looking for a RB there would be no need.

Not really. I completely disagree, only given who it is. If Denny were going after someone else, I'd tend to agree with you. But not with Bennett. I'm dead serious. I wouldn't read *anything* into trading for Bennett as a reflection on Shipp or JJ unless one of them was involved in the trade. Denny would sell his children to have MB on his team, for whatever crazy reason he has.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZCB34 said:
Didn't he draft him after his star RB (his name completely escapes me right now...Smith??) suddenly retired?

Robert Smith.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZCB34 said:
Isn't JJ considered fast?

Compared to Shipp yes, compared to Bennett not even close. Bennett may be the fastest player in NFL history he ran a sub 10 second 100 meters in the offseason 2 years ago and this offseason he won several meets while running to help get him back in shape. One of the problems NFL teams had with bennett before the draft was that everyone said Bennett trains for sprinting, not football, and that's why he had nagging injury problems in college.

Maybe Green is trying to assemble a relay team since picking players based on how they play basketball didn't work out?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZCB34 said:
I would think JJ would be considered a Green guy simply because he was drafted by him...good point.

He's a Green guy, but not a "godsend." Denny covets Bennett.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Maybe Green is trying to assemble a relay team since picking players based on how they play basketball didn't work out?

:D

That's funny.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
He's a Green guy, but not a "godsend." Denny covets Bennett.

Green's not alone in that Bill Walsh drafted James Owens(hurdler) in round one and later tried to turn Renaldo Nehemiah into a football star. Al Davis wasted years on James Jett(sprinter). NFL coaches are fascinated with guys that are that fast and to be fair Bennett is a much better football player than most sprinters have been.

He legitimately could have been a world class sprinter but he chose football. I think Green is just fascinated with having a guy that fast in his backfield.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Compared to Shipp yes, compared to Bennett not even close. Bennett may be the fastest player in NFL history he ran a sub 10 second 100 meters in the offseason 2 years ago and this offseason he won several meets while running to help get him back in shape. One of the problems NFL teams had with bennett before the draft was that everyone said Bennett trains for sprinting, not football, and that's why he had nagging injury problems in college.

But cannot we say that JJ is fast enough to break one the distance just like Bennett? I mean, I didn't really watch JJ in college but he has enough speed that he will nto be run down all that often right?

Shipp really isn't a homerun hitter like JJ so I get that deal but the bring in Bennett when a fairly similar RB is on the roster?? And to do so when RB isn't really the main problem right now??

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Green's not alone in that Bill Walsh drafted James Owens(hurdler) in round one and later tried to turn Renaldo Nehemiah into a football star. Al Davis wasted years on James Jett(sprinter). NFL coaches are fascinated with guys that are that fast and to be fair Bennett is a much better football player than most sprinters have been.

He legitimately could have been a world class sprinter but he chose football. I think Green is just fascinated with having a guy that fast in his backfield.

and let's not forget the bears with willie gault and the rams with ron brown. those guys had skillets for hands. didn't some team consider bringing in ben johnson too?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZCB34 said:
But cannot we say that JJ is fast enough to break one the distance just like Bennett? I mean, I didn't really watch JJ in college but he has enough speed that he will nto be run down all that often right?

Shipp really isn't a homerun hitter like JJ so I get that deal but the bring in Bennett when a fairly similar RB is on the roster?? And to do so when RB isn't really the main problem right now??

JJ is fast although some scouting reports said he lacked top end speed. That was because they were reporting his 40 time at 4.58, after the combine those reports went away.

But both Forsett and Lynch were faster at Cal last year as was Echemandu for just straight ahead speed.

I just wanted to make the distinction to Bennett, that guy is seriously Carl Lewis fast.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZCB34 said:

JJ has quick burst and acceleration, but he doesn't maintain the speed. My one knack on his game from college is that he would be chased down from time to time. Of course, it would be 70 yards downfield.

JJ has good vision for holes and hits them quickly. He has to get his feet wet in the NFL before he gets better here. He's getting a lesson in how fast the NFL is and he has to find out how to use his talents. Bennett is so much faster than JJ it isn't even funny, and JJ is pretty fast initially.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Friend of mine says his friend from Minneapolis is saying the news is all over that the Cards are trading for Bennett.

Take it for what it's worth :)

Mike

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW Pro football talk has the rumor of course and they say that it does make some sense:

"The Cardinals' interest in Bennett seems to add credibility to rumors that Arizona rookie second-rounder J.J. Arrington is a bust. Arrington was inactive for the team's Week Two loss to the Rams, and there already are whispers regarding his willingness to take hits at the NFL level."

The way that's written implies they don't know why JJ was inactive Sunday but who knows. I also think willingness to take hits is worded poorly most RB's don't want to get hit. Ability to take hits would make sense but willingness sounds funny to me. Guys that are willing to get hit usually don't have long careers.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Bennet for a 6th would make a complete 3 back roster and give us an excellent starter/third down back while JJ gets adjusted. BTW how is Bennett's blitz pick-up?

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
FWIW Pro football talk has the rumor of course and they say that it does make some sense:

"The Cardinals' interest in Bennett seems to add credibility to rumors that Arizona rookie second-rounder J.J. Arrington is a bust. Arrington was inactive for the team's Week Two loss to the Rams, and there already are whispers regarding his willingness to take hits at the NFL level."

The way that's written implies they don't know why JJ was inactive Sunday but who knows. I also think willingness to take hits is worded poorly most RB's don't want to get hit. Ability to take hits would make sense but willingness sounds funny to me. Guys that are willing to get hit usually don't have long careers.

They are just throwing crap out there. Even if they bothered to do some basic research they would know JJ was in the hospital last week.

As to Bennett, what good would he be if he is running into his linemen at a 100 miles an hour.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Redsz said:
They are just throwing crap out there. Even if they bothered to do some basic research they would know JJ was in the hospital last week.

As to Bennett, what good would he be if he is running into his linemen at a 100 miles an hour.

Oh I agree if it were true I think we'd have heard something already.

I mean not 3 weeks ago, Green, Rowen, Warner and Fitz were all quoted in the same article raving about JJ so if he was afraid of getting hit I don't think we'd see players and coaches raving about him.

Again if you saw him at Cal most of his yardage was between the tackles, he's not a guy who danced, ran to the corner, and ran out of bounds.

I just figured their comments were at least interesting.