Mike D'Antoni

Errntknght

Reaction score
Defense. Only defense. He's 10x the defender Duhon is.

But yeah, he sucks otherwise.

What I forgot about was the huge problem the Suns always had with Nash - its impossible to find a backup PG who can run remotely the same offense as he. I suppose I'd give it a shot with an ace defender who can shoot from long range, too, even if his PG skills are questionable. Now if the Lakers had the Clippers bench it wouldn't be so much of a problem - they could platoon the second unit who would run, in effect, a different offense. (Assuming Mike were flexible enough to do that.) IMO, that problem is what always killed the Suns and they never really faced it squarely.

Unless Steve Blake can somehow backup Nash in a reasonable fashion - and survive D'Antoni who is very unforgiving toward his backup PGs - the Lakers are in serious trouble. He does have the advantage of having played with the Lakers for two seasons and if Mike will let him play, insofar as possible, the way he's used to he might be able to keep the bleeding under control. Even with that I'll be very surprised if they can get far in the playoffs unless they fix some of their other, much discussed, problems. The one game I watched it looked to me that Gasol had stopped pouting but the recent boxscores suggests that was an illusion.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
What I forgot about was the huge problem the Suns always had with Nash - its impossible to find a backup PG who can run remotely the same offense as he. I suppose I'd give it a shot with an ace defender who can shoot from long range, too, even if his PG skills are questionable. Now if the Lakers had the Clippers bench it wouldn't be so much of a problem - they could platoon the second unit who would run, in effect, a different offense. (Assuming Mike were flexible enough to do that.) IMO, that problem is what always killed the Suns and they never really faced it squarely.

Unless Steve Blake can somehow backup Nash in a reasonable fashion - and survive D'Antoni who is very unforgiving toward his backup PGs - the Lakers are in serious trouble. He does have the advantage of having played with the Lakers for two seasons and if Mike will let him play, insofar as possible, the way he's used to he might be able to keep the bleeding under control. Even with that I'll be very surprised if they can get far in the playoffs unless they fix some of their other, much discussed, problems. The one game I watched it looked to me that Gasol had stopped pouting but the recent boxscores suggests that was an illusion.

Nobody can back up Steve Nash. You nailed it in the first paragraph- you need a second unit that will be completely different and independent from Nash. Alvin Gentry figured that out when we went to conference finals with Dragic running the second unit with no starters in it. I don't think Mike is flexible enough to figure that out.

It is amazing to me that the Lakers are going through the exact same thing the Suns went through for years- once the defense steps up, Nash's offense is no longer great. I really thought that it would not be an issue since the Lakers have some crazy firepower, but as Eric pointed out- this effect seems to be immune to star power on the roster.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The one game I watched it looked to me that Gasol had stopped pouting but the recent boxscores suggests that was an illusion.

I am 100% positive that Pau will be traded. He's a fit in the offense only if he completely buys into it, changes his approach and plays differently. He can do it, and he does sometimes, but he won't do it all the way. That and his pouting about it will get him bounced while he still has some trade value.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I am 100% positive that Pau will be traded. He's a fit in the offense only if he completely buys into it, changes his approach and plays differently. He can do it, and he does sometimes, but he won't do it all the way. That and his pouting about it will get him bounced while he still has some trade value.
And Howard will be gone nest year, I think that one guy is still banging a Kardashian, what big man are you guys going to have left? :p

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dwight Howard - Out at least 4 games, torn shoulder labrum. I cant believe whats happened to the Lakers. This is absolute comedy. That wont get better until he gets operated on either. If he returns and the pain comes back I bet he shuts it down and gets surgery with his impending free agency... which unless something chances its hard to picture him wanting to return to LA.

Oh, and Gasol is out with a concussion.

Almost makes up for how awful the Suns are to see the Lakers have this total meltdown in a season where many pegged them as unbeatable.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
as I wrote in the other thread

Gasol and Hill are out for the next 2, Howard for the next 4

Surgery appear likely for Howard

Zach Lowe ‏@ZachLowe_NBA

Ath trainer MT @RotowireATC: Howard's torn labrum is big. Muscles can be strengthened to aid stability but surgery likely depending on tear.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like the Lakers may try to trade Gasol or even Howard if there are any takers.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Eddy Rivera ‏@erivera7

Jameer had a torn labrum in his right shoulder in February 2009. Same injury Dwight just suffered. Returned to the Finals in June.

Eddy Rivera ‏@erivera7

Jameer had surgery on his torn labrum, BTW. Hence the lengthy recovery period. Sounds like Dwight will elect not to have surgery.

They won't get much for Howard right now. He is injured, might miss the rest of the season and is a FA aftwards.

Teams don't know if he is damaged goods already and have no idea if they could even re-sign him.

It sounds like the Lakers may try to trade Gasol or even Howard if there are any takers.

Gasol shouldn't be easy to trade either. He has been disastrous and makes 20M$ per for 2 more years?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Gasol's production should improve if Howard is out. Gasol is closer to a D'Antoni-style center anyway.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dwight not having surgery. Probably two weeks out.

Pau has a concussion. Should sideline him for the rest of the season. Joking. Kind of.

Hill hopefully comes back soon.

Pau is very tradeable. Still a very skilled big man, and this is Mitch we are talking about.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Pau is very tradeable. Still a very skilled big man, and this is Mitch we are talking about.

I don't know about very but they could likely trade him. The 20mil per for 3 seasons is going severely limit his return given how poorly he's played. Raptors seem to be the most likely destination to me in a deal involving Bargnani.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I don't think the Lakers will trade Gasol, but if they do, sending him to the Pacers for West and Granger could work for both sides.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Phil Jackson surely would have got this group in the playoffs.

He might have ponied up a few bucks for tickets, if that's what you mean. I think there's still a decent chance they make the playoffs. I'd guess their chances under Phil would have been slightly improved but not assured given the circus he'd have been dealing with.

Steve

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
He might have ponied up a few bucks for tickets, if that's what you mean. I think there's still a decent chance they make the playoffs. I'd guess their chances under Phil would have been slightly improved but not assured given the circus he'd have been dealing with.

Steve
If you are saying that these Lakers led by Phil Jackson vs. Mike D'Antoni wouldn't have been noticeably different . . . a T-ball team under the Zen Master vs. The One Trick Pony would be noticeably different. :D

Look what he did with the Ego and the Wedding Dress in Chicago.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score

I don't think there's a magic trade that could save this season, but I agree that Pau would flourish in the right situation. IMO Howard is still the bigger dissapointment and Dantoni seems like a fish out of water in Los Angeles with this entire roster. Not a good situation right now.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Steve

I think their chances would be a lot better with Phil. The Lakers problem is not offense, its defense and Mike is still the same coach he always was. There is no defensive accountability, guys dont know where to rotate to, they have no help defense and their chemistry issues feed into it. One thing Jackson probably does best is manage personalities so I think he would help a lot with this roster.

And D-Dogg, as for Dwight and surgery, he isnt having it... yet. If he continues to have pain and the Lakers continue to tread water then I fully expect him to do whats best for his career in the long term and get it fixed.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are saying that these Lakers led by Phil Jackson vs. Mike D'Antoni wouldn't have been noticeably different . . . a T-ball team under the Zen Master vs. The One Trick Pony would be noticeably different. :D

Look what he did with the Ego and the Wedding Dress in Chicago.

I think they'd be noticeably different over a full season but when you enter during the season and you're faced with the kind of injuries they are dealing with, there's only so much one person can do. Phil, initially, probably would have made the situation even worse and then after a couple of dozen fights, IRL and in the media, he'd have stepped in and turned them into a functional unit. If you think he could have stepped in and overnight turned this motley collection of aged veterans into champions, then you hold him in higher esteem than I do. I don't think the greatest coach of all time could work that kind of magic (I'm talking about Red of course).

Steve

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I don't think the greatest coach of all time could work that kind of magic (I'm talking about Red of course).

Steve
Red Holzman? Yes, he won the Knicks only two championships.

Or did you mean Red Klotz whose Washington Generals battled the Globetrotters?

Oh, you mean the Victory Cigar. Yup! :)

Reaction score
As the Suns are dismal and unwatchable, I am enjoying the Lakers problems. The Suns have their pick and a 2nd lottery pick would be great. Lakers are the 11th seed. As games go on it is harder to climb over teams in the standings. I wonder if D'Antoni will get fired next

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake