Mike D'Antoni

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remember how much of a trainwreck we were when Nash came out of the game during the SSOL era?

That interview was typical D'Antoni arrogance. The LA media is going to eat him alive.

TJ Simers has already begun. He got DA to blow up at him yesterday. It's been really fun to watch so far.

the funny thing is these people out here... they don't get it. They keep saying "I think DA will figure out a way to adjust and use Pau and get him back on the block. It just doesn't make sense to have him out at the 3 point line. I bet they try to move him to 15-18 feet and put him in the post." They just don't get it... DA can only coach one way and one way only... with his system... meaning... with Nash... meaning... he's got no system. He's a one trick pony and the LA Media just can't fathom the fact that their coach literally has no idea how to coach with Nash or make any kind of adjustment to his gameplan.

I'll say this though... Magic sure as hell ain't mincing words. He tears into DA every chance he gets... which is fun to listen to also.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TJ Simers has already begun. He got DA to blow up at him yesterday. It's been really fun to watch so far.

the funny thing is these people out here... they don't get it. They keep saying "I think DA will figure out a way to adjust and use Pau and get him back on the block. It just doesn't make sense to have him out at the 3 point line. I bet they try to move him to 15-18 feet and put him in the post." They just don't get it... DA can only coach one way and one way only... with his system... meaning... with Nash... meaning... he's got no system. He's a one trick pony and the LA Media just can't fathom the fact that their coach literally has no idea how to coach with Nash or make any kind of adjustment to his gameplan.

I'll say this though... Magic sure as hell ain't mincing words. He tears into DA every chance he gets... which is fun to listen to also.

I believe the Lakers would be a better team if Howard were out of the equation. However, the Lakers are not going to trade Howard. DA will go before Howard so I believe DA was the wrong choice for HC.

DA needs shooters that can run the floor and provide spacing. The Lakers do not have the players to play SSOL which was DA in his glory days. I guess the Lakers figured DA and Nash were money but Steve has slowed down and and is subject to injury. I do think Nash is a coach on the floor and will make the Lakers a much better team when he returns... championship good, I don't think so.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People forget D'Antoni had a shortened experiment in Denver before Phoenix, and they were atrocious. Fourteen wins bad, and he had a young Chauncy Billups and Corey Alexander (coming off a career year) in the backcourt.

But there's something to be said about a coach who can unleash a unique player like Nash. If it's undercoaching, it's definitely better than overcoaching, I think.

I'm no fan of D'Antoni, but I don't think it's bad that he has a connection with Nash. If you're going to make Nash the centerpiece of your team, M-Dan's not a horrible choice as coach. The problem is he hasn't had Nash at all, and this is the most poorly constructed "super team" ever. The pieces don't fit well.

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Aren't they also playing their 3rd string point gaurd? Blake has been out too. That can't help.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I'm no fan of D'Antoni, but I don't think it's bad that he has a connection with Nash. If you're going to make Nash the centerpiece of your team, M-Dan's not a horrible choice as coach. The problem is he hasn't had Nash at all, and this is the most poorly constructed "super team" ever. The pieces don't fit well.
I agree, Gasol is a poor fit with Howard. And I'm not sure Howard is a great fit with Kobe especially from a personality standpoint, D12 is the uber-talented class clown whereas Kobe is the overachiever who lives and breathes hoops and completely loathes those who don't.

That team can be fixed on the fly, if they were to just get two lesser yet more complimentary players in a Gasol trade and get rid of Artest I think Howard/Jamison/Kobe/Nash starting with the Gasol trade bounty being a SF who does nothing but play defense and shoot corner 3's then that team would likely gel in D'Antoni's system.

Of course they still will get destroyed by Pop and won't play a lick of defense against anybody.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree, Gasol is a poor fit with Howard. And I'm not sure Howard is a great fit with Kobe especially from a personality standpoint, D12 is the uber-talented class clown whereas Kobe is the overachiever who lives and breathes hoops and completely loathes those who don't.

That team can be fixed on the fly, if they were to just get two lesser yet more complimentary players in a Gasol trade and get rid of Artest I think Howard/Jamison/Kobe/Nash starting with the Gasol trade bounty being a SF who does nothing but play defense and shoot corner 3's then that team would likely gel in D'Antoni's system.

Of course they still will get destroyed by Pop and won't play a lick of defense against anybody.

Kobe is MJ. Howard is Charles. They were friends, but the wouldn't have been if they had been on the same team for more than the Olympics.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kobe is MJ. Howard is Charles. They were friends, but the wouldn't have been if they had been on the same team for more than the Olympics.

MJ just threw up a little in his own mouth.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
"It's Pau who has to expand his game, and he'll expand out in the corner threes and he needs to take a couple, and we'll get him in the post when we can," D'Antoni said, emphasizing those last three words as if to pound the point that he's making no promises to Pau.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...return-los-angeles-charlotte-bobcats/1779123/

Unreal. I didn't think D'Antoni was a bad hire for the Lakers, but the comment clearly shows just inflexible he still is. When he first got the job I figured he'd try to run PnR with Howard and let Gasol work the high post as a KT/Diaw hybrid. If this is truly the plan then the Lakers need to move Gasol asap.

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

He will make it work dammit!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reading the article I couldn't help but think DA wants Gasol to fill a role similar to Channing Frye. Obviously, per past stats, he has not been a 3 point shooter. Perhaps he can adjust... or not. DA likes spacing.

My current concern is that some team will give the Lakers a great trade package for Gasol that will bail them out of their predicament.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was hearing that Kevin love wanted to leave the wolves. But now that Rubio is back I'm not so sure. Was thinking love to the lakers.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reading the article I couldn't help but think DA wants Gasol to fill a role similar to Channing Frye. Obviously, per past stats, he has not been a 3 point shooter. Perhaps he can adjust... or not. DA likes spacing.

My current concern is that some team will give the Lakers a great trade package for Gasol that will bail them out of their predicament.

That's possible but everyone above still has a point. D'Antoni is completely inflexible. You could have the worst PF in the league out there and D'Antoni would say "it's up to him to expand his game" to become a 3 point threat.

Good coaches adjust the game to play to a person's strengths. They don't constantly tell a post up player to start playing out at the 3. Funny how Phil Jackson didn't ask any of his PF to shoot 3's or Pop ask Tim Duncan. I mean come on.

Why not tweak your own system instead of forcing it down a players throat? His system has won zero titles and the triangle several. D'Antoni is the type of coach that you can win games with despite him. However, when it comes down to it, he doesn't have what it takes to get you over the top.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's possible but everyone above still has a point. D'Antoni is completely inflexible. You could have the worst PF in the league out there and D'Antoni would say "it's up to him to expand his game" to become a 3 point threat.

Good coaches adjust the game to play to a person's strengths. They don't constantly tell a post up player to start playing out at the 3. Funny how Phil Jackson didn't ask any of his PF to shoot 3's or Pop ask Tim Duncan. I mean come on.

Why not tweak your own system instead of forcing it down a players throat? His system has won zero titles and the triangle several. D'Antoni is the type of coach that you can win games with despite him. However, when it comes down to it, he doesn't have what it takes to get you over the top.

DA is a systems coach and he needs the right player personnel for his sytem to work properly. He still believes in an uptempo offense with players that can space the floor. The Lakers should have known that when they hired him. No doubt he's stubborn because he believes his system will work but he is unwilling or unable to adapt his coaching style to fit just any player personnel.

The Suns gave DA the player personnel he needed and he was hugely successful for the Suns short of a championship. If an historically bad team wanted a coach to rebuild their team into a consistent winner, he could probably do it within a few years if he had the right GM to help guide him. Some bad franchises would welcome just winning and not worrying about loftier goals.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
If an historically bad team wanted a coach to rebuild their team into a consistent winner, he could probably do it within a few years if he had the right GM to help guide him. Some bad franchises would welcome just winning and not worrying about loftier goals.
Including college basketball coaches, that type of coach for the NBA is a dime a dozen. You could fill ten NBA's with them.

But isn't the goal of all professional teams to be strong from start to finish? Fading every year of its existence has its drawbacks.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Including college basketball coaches, that type of coach for the NBA is a dime a dozen. You could fill ten NBA's with them.

Winning NBA coaches are not a dime a dozen the last time I looked.

But isn't the goal of all professional teams to be strong from start to finish? Fading every year of its existence has its drawbacks.

DA did exceptionally well coaching the Suns short of a championship or finals appearance. Who is to say he would never have gotten the Suns there with the assistance of a good GM making personnel decisions. When it comes to player personnel decisions, DA needs to be saved from himself.

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If an historically bad team wanted a coach to rebuild their team into a consistent winner, he could probably do it within a few years if he had the right GM to help guide him. Some bad franchises would welcome just winning and not worrying about loftier goals.

Uh... This is complete nonsense!

Signed,

The New York Knicks

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We had a great ride.

Signed,

The Phoenix Suns

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
couldn't do nothing with us!

Signed,

The Denver Nuggets

Reaction score
The Suns best player is Goran Dragic. They are 1 game behind in the standings of a team with Kobe Bryant, Paul Gasol, Dwight Howard and Steve Nash. 3 Probable hall of Famers. Could it be Mike D is over rated?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns best player is Goran Dragic. They are 1 game behind in the standings of a team with Kobe Bryant, Paul Gasol, Dwight Howard and Steve Nash. 3 Probable hall of Famers. Could it be Mike D is over rated?

Sure, he might be overrated. He's the butt of most jokes in NBA circles and if you read a Suns board (or a Knicks board or a Denver board) he might be the worst coach that's ever lived but I guess he could still be overrated.

Kobe Bryant is past his prime, Pau Gasol hasn't been relevant for a couple of years and Dwight Howard has yet to return to his pre-surgery level. Steve Nash has missed most of the season as has his backup. I don't know that Lakers fans are going to be ultimately happy this season but all those Suns fans gloating about how we're almost at the same level as the Lakers are due for some heavy disappointment soon. In 2 months, we'll be approaching 25 games under .500 and the Lakers will be climbing the playoff ladder.

Steve

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We had a great ride.

Signed,

The Phoenix Suns

Really? Two WCF appearances in 4 years is a great ride? It was decent, but ultimately underwhelming as far as I was concerned... and we had the same "great" ride two years later WITHOUT DA.

Nash was the ride... not the guy who literally has been an absolute failure everywhere he's gone without him.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Sure, he might be overrated. He's the butt of most jokes in NBA circles and if you read a Suns board (or a Knicks board or a Denver board) he might be the worst coach that's ever lived but I guess he could still be overrated.

Kobe Bryant is past his prime, Pau Gasol hasn't been relevant for a couple of years and Dwight Howard has yet to return to his pre-surgery level. Steve Nash has missed most of the season as has his backup. I don't know that Lakers fans are going to be ultimately happy this season but all those Suns fans gloating about how we're almost at the same level as the Lakers are due for some heavy disappointment soon. In 2 months, we'll be approaching 25 games under .500 and the Lakers will be climbing the playoff ladder.

Steve

Past his prime maybe, but at 30ppg, 5apg, 5rpg he is light years ahead of anyone on the suns. The lakers are a mess and it's not from lack of talent.

We should at least enjoy it while it lasts as short lived as it may be. After all it's all we have :).

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake