Miracle in the Desert? No joke, Cardinals still alive!

AZCardsWin

Our waiting is over!
Reaction score

For Immediate Release
November 16, 2006
By Tim Pino

By now I am sure the title of this story has you thinking I have hit the "Kool- Aid" in record amounts, but with so much negativity going on about the Arizona Cardinals lately (but truly justified) I felt obligated to put together how the "Miracle in the Desert" can be pulled off.

For starters the Cardinals would need to win out and finish at 8-8. It's not totally uncommon for teams with a record of 8-8 to qualify for a wildcard playoff spot in the NFC- and this year is shaping up the same with 8 teams at or around the 5-4 or 4-5 mark.

Can the Cardinals run the table? Sure anything is possible- but as improbable as it may sound- there are a few glimmers of hope in the coming weeks for the Cardinals to slowly turn this thing around. For starters the Detriot Lions (2-7) visit the valley this week and give the Cardinals a great chance at coming away with a much needed win. The following 2 weeks will take the Cardinals on the road to Minnesota (4-5 and losers of 3 straight) and then to St.Louis (4-5 and losers of 4 straight).

Following the 2 games on the road the Cardinals will return home to Glendale to face the Seattle Seahawks (6-3) and Denver Broncos (7-2)- both of whom are having very good seasons. But you have to think the Cardinals will have a fighting chance in both of these home games as for the most part they have been very competitive at The University of Phoenix Stadium this year.

After those two home games the Cardinals will end the season back on the road at San Francisco (4-5) and at San Diego (7-2). The Cardinals lone win of the season has come against the 49ers and with a little luck the Chargers will have their playoff spot wrapped up by the final week or the regular season and sit a lot of their starters.

What would it take for the Cardinals to stay alive in the NFC wildcard playoff picture? Currently Philadelphia (5-4), Dallas (5-4), Atlanta (5-4), and Carolina (5-4) are all tied for the two NFC wildcard spots. The interesting thing to note is that other then the Eagles (4-3 NFC Conference record) every other team mentioned only have 3 NFC Conference wins (the first wildcard tie-breaker should numerous teams end up tied at end of the season).

What does all this mean? Forget the Cardinals 1-8 overall record for a minute. I know its tough to do but do it. Right now the reality is that "5" wins puts you in the NFC playoffs so the Cardinals are just 4 games back with still "7" games to go. Additionally, the Cardinals are only "2" NFC conference wins back from the final NFC wildcard spot.

When I look at the upcoming NFL schedule and see games like Colts at Cowboys and Falcons at Ravens on tap for this week. Next week I see Eagles at Colts and Saints at Falcons on tap. And in two weeks I see Cowboys at NY Giants and Panthers at Eagles. I highlighted the team I feel will win these football games. If the Arizona Cardinals can go on a small winning streak it is not impossible that come December they could find themselves 1-2 games back of the pack with 4 games to go.

Call it the Miracle in the Desert or just something else to be thankful for this Thanksgiving. The pulse might be faint but the Arizona Cardinals are still alive in the NFC playoff picture!

Attachments

• TillmanHero.bmp
    62.1 KB · Views: 524

ItsInTheCards

Bomb2Quan
Reaction score

For Immediate Release
November 16, 2006
By Tim Pino

By now I am sure the title of this story has you thinking I have hit the "Kool- Aid" in record amounts, but with so much negativity going on about the Arizona Cardinals lately (but truly justified) I felt obligated to put together how the "Miracle in the Desert" can be pulled off.

For starters the Cardinals would need to win out and finish at 8-8. It's not totally uncommon for teams with a record of 8-8 to qualify for a wildcard playoff spot in the NFC- and this year is shaping up the same with 8 teams at or around the 5-4 or 4-5 mark.

Can the Cardinals run the table? Sure anything is possible- but as improbable as it may sound- there are a few glimmers of hope in the coming weeks for the Cardinals to slowly turn this thing around. For starters the Detriot Lions (2-7) visit the valley this week and give the Cardinals a great chance at coming away with a much needed win. The following 2 weeks will take the Cardinals on the road to Minnesota (4-5 and losers of 3 straight) and then to St.Louis (4-5 and losers of 4 straight).

Following the 2 games on the road the Cardinals will return home to Glendale to face the Seattle Seahawks (6-3) and Denver Broncos (7-2)- both of whom are having very good seasons. But you have to think the Cardinals will have a fighting chance in both of these home games as for the most part they have been very competitive at The University of Phoenix Stadium this year.

After those two home games the Cardinals will end the season back on the road at San Francisco (4-5) and at San Diego (7-2). The Cardinals lone win of the season has come against the 49ers and with a little luck the Chargers will have their playoff spot wrapped up by the final week or the regular season and sit a lot of their starters.

What would it take for the Cardinals to stay alive in the NFC wildcard playoff picture? Currently Philadelphia (5-4), Dallas (5-4), Atlanta (5-4), and Carolina (5-4) are all tied for the two NFC wildcard spots. The interesting thing to note is that other then the Eagles (4-3 NFC Conference record) every other team mentioned only have 3 NFC Conference wins (the first wildcard tie-breaker should numerous teams end up tied at end of the season).

What does all this mean? Forget the Cardinals 1-8 overall record for a minute. I know its tough to do but do it. Right now the reality is that "5" wins puts you in the NFC playoffs so the Cardinals are just 4 games back with still "7" games to go. Additionally, the Cardinals are only "2" NFC conference wins back from the final NFC wildcard spot.

When I look at the upcoming NFL schedule and see games like Colts at Cowboys and Falcons at Ravens on tap for this week. Next week I see Eagles at Colts and Saints at Falcons on tap. And in two weeks I see Cowboys at NY Giants and Panthers at Eagles. I highlighted the team I feel will win these football games. If the Arizona Cardinals can go on a small winning streak it is not impossible that come December they could find themselves 1-2 games back of the pack with 4 games to go.

Call it the Miracle in the Desert or just something else to be thankful for this Thanksgiving. The pulse might be faint but the Arizona Cardinals are still alive in the NFC playoff picture!

they go to STL first, then Minnesota

DRVNFAST

Homey don't play that!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excuse me waiter, I'll have what he's havin'. :beer:

New Mexico

Fan since 1976ish
Reaction score

For Immediate Release
November 16, 2006
By Tim Pino

It should be against the law to drink and write.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The chances of this scenerio occurring are close to 100%, according to the Everett many-worlds interpretation. Formulated in 1956, it holds that all the possibilities described by quantum theory simultaneously occur in a "multiverse" composed of mostly independent parallel universes.

Unforunately, this will not happen in the universe that we are living in.

The Shark

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm not mad at this post at all. I just talked to my 49ers fan friend who thinks that they can steal the division. Who'd of thunk it. Too bad though that the Cards listless play has givin me no indication that they are capable of any such feat.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, this year would have been the PERFECT year for the Cardinals to just play OK and have a shot at winning the division.

However, we chose to play absolutely pathetic football.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Man, this year would have been the PERFECT year for the Cardinals to just play OK and have a shot at winning the division.

However, we chose to play absolutely pathetic football.

Didn't think it was possible to play any worse than we played in a year where we had more Penalty Yards than Rushing Yards, and only 5 wins (last year), but - we did it... :bang:

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
this is just mind blowing. this give new meaning to keep hope alive and i have a dream.

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
The time for the Cards to show they have a pulse of any kind was coming off a bye week in which they held a players meeting to get everyone back on track. Unfortunately they were pronounced dead during the game against the Cowgirls. Not even the players could resuscitate this bird. I guess it's fitting that the bird is dead by Thanksgiving, but there's not much to be thankful for. Regardless of who made the decisions, the most glaring needs of the team were not addressed in the offseason. That is undeniably the reason for the teams current status. It's not Warner's fault or James' or Leinart's or Boldin's or any other player. It's everyone over the players who makes decisions on the make-up of the team. They are the one's who are supposed to recognize the weak areas and address them. Smoke and mirrors can only get you by so far. The players may have bought into it earlier but the smoke has cleared and they can see the team for what it is, lacking. How many players thought they were going to get a wedge of the pie, ended up with a wedgie? Green's style was successful at Minnesota, but it's alot different here with a young team that has to overcome the stigma of being the Arizona Cardinals. The head coach can't just stand on the field with his hands on his hips. He needs to be involved. He can't communicate to the team through pressers. A GM must be aggressive and not wait to see if someone is going to fall into their lap. It might work in the draft sometimes, but it rarely does in free agency. Owners need to show confidence in the people they hire to make the right decisions and get out of the way. If they don't have the faith in them, why did they hire them at all? This team is a debacle of executive making and it doesn't have the talent or the confidence to overcome it.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Right now the reality is that "5" wins puts you in the NFC playoffs so the Cardinals are just 4 games back with still "7" games to go. Additionally, the Cardinals are only "2" NFC conference wins back from the final NFC wildcard spot.

If the Arizona Cardinals can go on a small winning streak it is not impossible that come December they could find themselves 1-2 games back of the pack with 4 games to go.

QUOTE] Winning 5 games isnt the problem for the Cardinals. It just depends on how many seasons we get to do it in...

Team G

Big Red Surfer
Reaction score

What color is the sky in your world? :lol:

The Cards will screw up and win just enough to lose the 1st pick in the draft.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Hey, Tim...Bickley and MJ are talking about you with Kent Somers right now!

Lloydian

Registered
Reaction score
It reminds me of Steve Martin's method of making a million dollars tax-free. "First, you get a million dollars. Then..."

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sigh how big is the Rams, Chiefs, and Bears loss now ugh i'm still so ticked off we lost those games but no way we win out lol not going to happen but hey if it does happen ill be glad for someone to tell me i'm wrong :)

OP
OP
AZCardsWin

AZCardsWin

Our waiting is over!
Reaction score
Hey, Tim...Bickley and MJ are talking about you with Kent Somers right now!

Are you serious??? If so what are they saying??? Being from NJ I do not get any of the AZ radio stations in, but I love spreading opTIMism. Glad to see they read the boards!!

Go Cards/ America!
Tim

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Are you serious??? If so what are they saying??? Being from NJ I do not get any of the AZ radio stations in, but I love spreading opTIMism. Glad to see they read the boards!!

Go Cards/ America!
Tim

They were talking specifically about your article. Kent Somers said he read it, mentioned your name, thought you were a cop in PA....

I think he mentioned something about reading message boards...maybe he reads this one.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05