Monday Musings

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
* The Seahawks looked unbeatable in the 1st half versus the Falcons---they were putting a pounding on Matt Ryan and blanketing Julio Jones with Sherman---ATL seemed intimidated.

* Credit the Falcons coaches for firing the Falcons up at half-time and, even more importantly, for adjusting with moving Matt Ryan off the pocket spot on sprint outs and bootlegs and play action. Ryan started picking their secondary apart when he flushed away from pressure and the WRs were beating the zones on drags and crossing patterns.

* Suddenly Sherman and the secondary botch assignments (a la Cardinals versus the Pats) and Julio Jones is wide open repeatedly. By moving Ryan around the Falcons coaches really got into the Seahawks' heads. See Richard Sherman's sideline meltdowns.

* Bradley Sowell---been focusing on him every time I watch the Seahawks and it is amazing what Tom Cbale has done with him. He is playing like a legitimate LT and had a near perfect performance yesterday, dominating Brooks Reed in the Falcons' base defense and then stonewalling Dwight Freeney. The most valuable coach on the Seahawks is Tom Cable. What a teacher and motivator who instills confidence and toughness in his players.

* The Falcons' CB Robert Alford is a PI waiting to happen on almost every pass that is thrown in his direction---he really cost the Falcons badly in the second half---yet the calls on him were not nearly as obvious as the hold that Richard Sherman got away with at the end of the game. One would think the refs would want instant replay on plays like that because everyone across the USA saw what Sherman got away with. On key game deciding plays, replay should be a rule no matter what the call. Just get the calls right.

* The Seahawks were able to overcome 3 horrible blown coverages, a missed FG and blocked XPT and the loss of DE Michael Bennett and still win the game---largely because their defense capitalized on a rare Julio Jones drop which Sherman topped and Thomas intercepted---and The Closer in the NFC, Russell Wilson, despite playing hobbled once again led the offense to a GW score.

* How quickly the Rams have dropped back to the pack---despite a huge day from Kenny Britt, Todd Gurley is being held in check and the Rams' defense is giving up way to may big plays for a group with their talent.

* How can Chuck Pagano's defense in Indy be so bad year after year? It does not bode well for a HC when his area of expertise is not making itself manifest in games. Their coverage was so soft in the 4th Q. Why?

* There were many exciting games yesterday. Man, how about those Cowboys? How many GMs in the league are kicking themselves in the are for passing on Dak Prescott? Steve Keim admitted he blew it on Russell Wilson---and now with Prescott making total sense at the end of round three Keim does not make the move....and quite frankly it is very possible that CB Brandon Williams, because of only playing CB for one year, would have been available in the 4th round---and C Evan Boehm could have been traded up for a could have been available in Round 5. But---just the same---it feels weird to say this but had Keim drafted Prescott wouldn't he be languishing as the #3 QB amidst reports that he is having difficulty picking up the offense? I hate to be cynical but when it comes to the Cardinals and rookies under BA there does not seem to be a smooth assimilation into the program. Does it really have to be so hard? Look at Prescott---he looks like he's been playing in the NFL for years. Plus, his athleticism is allowing him to extend plays with his feet and to buy time to create clear passing lanes.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Hard to argue with anything here, the only thing I would take exception too is reviewing penalties. Most of them are judgment calls, and would slow the game down too much (IMO). The human element has always been a part of football, and the official was on the back side, not sure if he could even see JJ's right arm. Good teams overcome these obstacles, and like you stated the Hags overcame their fair share yesterday to win. Tip your hat to them and say we'll see ya soon.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hard to argue with anything here, the only thing I would take exception too is reviewing penalties. Most of them are judgment calls, and would slow the game down too much (IMO). The human element has always been a part of football, and the official was on the back side, not sure if he could even see JJ's right arm. Good teams overcome these obstacles, and like you stated the Hags overcame their fair share yesterday to win. Tip your hat to them and say we'll see ya soon.

It's been brought to my attention that they allow coaches to throw the flag on PI calls in the CFL.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been brought to my attention that they allow coaches to throw the flag on PI calls in the CFL.

Is that for PI calls only, or non calls as well?

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
But---just the same---it feels weird to say this but had Keim drafted Prescott wouldn't he be languishing as the #3 QB amidst reports that he is having difficulty picking up the offense? I hate to be cynical but when it comes to the Cardinals and rookies under BA there does not seem to be a smooth assimilation into the program. Does it really have to be so hard? Look at Prescott---he looks like he's been playing in the NFL for years. Plus, his athleticism is allowing him to extend plays with his feet and to buy time to create clear passing lanes.

Spot on... The virtually blind allegiance to Stanton would've absolutely relegated Dak to the practice squad...and then likely being gone... In fact, the allegiance to Stanton could very well be a big factor as to why the Cards passed on Dak in the first place...

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it feels weird to say this but had Keim drafted Prescott wouldn't he be languishing as the #3 QB amidst reports that he is having difficulty picking up the offense? I hate to be cynical but when it comes to the Cardinals and rookies under BA there does not seem to be a smooth assimilation into the program.

You base this opinion on the fact that Logan Thomas washed out? That's the only rookie QB Keim has drafted. Or do you think that one of the undrafted rookies who has been on the roster in the preseason should've been developed into a player worthy of a roster spot? Which one of these phenoms has found success in the league?

...dbs

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
* The Seahawks looked unbeatable in the 1st half versus the Falcons---they were putting a pounding on Matt Ryan and blanketing Julio Jones with Sherman---ATL seemed intimidated.

* Credit the Falcons coaches for firing the Falcons up at half-time and, even more importantly, for adjusting with moving Matt Ryan off the pocket spot on sprint outs and bootlegs and play action. Ryan started picking their secondary apart when he flushed away from pressure and the WRs were beating the zones on drags and crossing patterns.

* Suddenly Sherman and the secondary botch assignments (a la Cardinals versus the Pats) and Julio Jones is wide open repeatedly. By moving Ryan around the Falcons coaches really got into the Seahawks' heads. See Richard Sherman's sideline meltdowns.

* Bradley Sowell---been focusing on him every time I watch the Seahawks and it is amazing what Tom Cbale has done with him. He is playing like a legitimate LT and had a near perfect performance yesterday, dominating Brooks Reed in the Falcons' base defense and then stonewalling Dwight Freeney. The most valuable coach on the Seahawks is Tom Cable. What a teacher and motivator who instills confidence and toughness in his players.

* The Falcons' CB Robert Alford is a PI waiting to happen on almost every pass that is thrown in his direction---he really cost the Falcons badly in the second half---yet the calls on him were not nearly as obvious as the hold that Richard Sherman got away with at the end of the game. One would think the refs would want instant replay on plays like that because everyone across the USA saw what Sherman got away with. On key game deciding plays, replay should be a rule no matter what the call. Just get the calls right.

* The Seahawks were able to overcome 3 horrible blown coverages, a missed FG and blocked XPT and the loss of DE Michael Bennett and still win the game---largely because their defense capitalized on a rare Julio Jones drop which Sherman topped and Thomas intercepted---and The Closer in the NFC, Russell Wilson, despite playing hobbled once again led the offense to a GW score.

* How quickly the Rams have dropped back to the pack---despite a huge day from Kenny Britt, Todd Gurley is being held in check and the Rams' defense is giving up way to may big plays for a group with their talent.

* How can Chuck Pagano's defense in Indy be so bad year after year? It does not bode well for a HC when his area of expertise is not making itself manifest in games. Their coverage was so soft in the 4th Q. Why?

* There were many exciting games yesterday. Man, how about those Cowboys? How many GMs in the league are kicking themselves in the are for passing on Dak Prescott? Steve Keim admitted he blew it on Russell Wilson---and now with Prescott making total sense at the end of round three Keim does not make the move....and quite frankly it is very possible that CB Brandon Williams, because of only playing CB for one year, would have been available in the 4th round---and C Evan Boehm could have been traded up for a could have been available in Round 5. But---just the same---it feels weird to say this but had Keim drafted Prescott wouldn't he be languishing as the #3 QB amidst reports that he is having difficulty picking up the offense? I hate to be cynical but when it comes to the Cardinals and rookies under BA there does not seem to be a smooth assimilation into the program. Does it really have to be so hard? Look at Prescott---he looks like he's been playing in the NFL for years. Plus, his athleticism is allowing him to extend plays with his feet and to buy time to create clear passing lanes.

re: Dak. Nah, he would have had a chance to beat out Stanton. the only question I have is his fit in our downfield passing attack. If you notice, those young players who struggle are all guys who don't really have an independent burning fire to be successful in the NFL. Cooper, Humphries, and Nkemdiche all have shown a lack of the ability to self-motivate. Arians has had to stoke that fire by administering tough love. Cooper didn't work out. Humphries is a work in progress. Nkemdiche, we will see. Brandon Williams, Tyrann Mathieu, Justin Bethel, David Johnson, John Brown, and Tony Jefferson all have shown that NFL level drive, and Arians did not hesitate to put them into some sort of role right away.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
re: Dak. Nah, he would have had a chance to beat out Stanton. the only question I have is his fit in our downfield passing attack. If you notice, those young players who struggle are all guys who don't really have an independent burning fire to be successful in the NFL. Cooper, Humphries, and Nkemdiche all have shown a lack of the ability to self-motivate. Arians has had to stoke that fire by administering tough love. Cooper didn't work out. Humphries is a work in progress. Nkemdiche, we will see. Brandon Williams, Tyrann Mathieu, Justin Bethel, David Johnson, John Brown, and Tony Jefferson all have shown that NFL level drive, and Arians did not hesitate to put them into some sort of role right away.

So my question is isn't this supposed to be part of their vetting process? If so why are they drafting guys in the first round who do not exhibit this trait?

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I'm sorry but IMO Dak wouldn't fit BAs offense, unless he changed it & im not so sure he would've.

Didn't Dak gets his brains beat in at MSU because his Oline wasn't all that good? If I'm not mistaken he played nowhere near as good as he has due to those Oline woes. If he were in AZ IMO he wouldn't be near as effective given how good the Cowpies Oline is vs ours. Hmmmmm :beer:

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm sorry but IMO Dak wouldn't fit BAs offense, unless he changed it & im not so sure he would've.

Didn't Dak gets his brains beat in at MSU because his Oline wasn't all that good? If I'm not mistaken he played nowhere near as good as he has due to those Oline woes. If he were in AZ IMO he wouldn't be near as effective given how good the Cowpies Oline is vs ours. Hmmmmm :beer:
A great coach is able to fit his offense to a talented Qb when he has one

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I think it's inaccurate to hit on Keim for not taking Prescott. First let's look at Dak. He picked up a DUI right before the draft; not a good indicator of maturity or stability. I could list 30 failed QBs for the last few years with similar athleticism. Keep in mind Prescott had never taken one snap under center. That adjustment has doomed more than a few selections. He played his worst game of the year against Alabama. It's true his line was awful but he also held the ball too long leading to 9 sacks and one interception. He looked like a beaten QB early in that game. He didn't throw a TD pass. In fairness he played better in the remainder of the schedule for the most part.

Of the teams that had him on their board, he went about where he should have gone. All this said he showed steady improvement during his college career. He has clearly exceeded expectations of even the Cowboys who wanted Lynch and were admittedly disappointed over settling for Prescott.

Second, QB has the highest percentage of failure of any position. Everybody passed on him and if the Cowboys hadn't taken him who knows how many more would have passed. It takes luck to hit on a pick like this. Keim just didn't have it on this pick.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Should be banned from the league.

In his defense Brady did pump fake in Bennett's direction before throwing the ball, and we all know you can't hit em high. It is something the league has created with the concussion issues. You have to low or you'll be given a penalty and a fine. So in this case he may just get the fine. And that dirty ***** could play for my team any day.

MartinD

Rookie
Reaction score
Spot on... The virtually blind allegiance to Stanton would've absolutely relegated Dak to the practice squad...and then likely being gone... In fact, the allegiance to Stanton could very well be a big factor as to why the Cards passed on Dak in the first place...

People will disagree, but I think you're absolutely right. The reason the Cards keep two QBs on the roster, to my mind, is to keep Stanton from being challenged as #2. He's an adequate #2, no more than that.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
In his defense Brady did pump fake in Bennett's direction before throwing the ball, and we all know you can't hit em high. It is something the league has created with the concussion issues. You have to low or you'll be given a penalty and a fine. So in this case he may just get the fine. And that dirty ***** could play for my team any day.

You can hit them high, just not in the head. Hips, waist, chest, back, shoulders and God forbid wrapping him up is allowed.

Butfict is scum and he's been known for celebrating other's injuries but that doesn't mean he's not an upgrade of Kevin Minter.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
So my question is isn't this supposed to be part of their vetting process? If so why are they drafting guys in the first round who do not exhibit this trait?
Because, bottom line, talent...even raw...trumps all. If a coach sees the talent, they automatically think they can fix the rest, if the player is also deemed "coachable".

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
You can hit them high, just not in the head. Hips, waist, chest, back, shoulders and God forbid wrapping him up is allowed.

Butfict is scum and he's been known for celebrating other's injuries but that doesn't mean he's not an upgrade of Kevin Minter.

I understand but you aim for their chest and they bend at the waist in an attempt to give themselves up and then you make contact with their head. Then the flags fly.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake