My Dream Offseason Version 3.0 (critique)

sundevil04

AZ Cardinals Mortgage Guy
Reaction score
Go

Okay the sb has come and gone so here I go again.

1.) QB- Re-sign KURT WARNER- he's not the qbof but he's good enough to win now and better than anything on the market.

2.)QB2- Sign JAY FIEDLER, I REALLY dont want to go into a season with a fragile qb like warner knowing that if he goes down we have to depend on davey or navarre. Fiedler's a guy that would accept a backup role but has the experience to be able to step in and play if need be.

3.) OG- Sign LECHARLES BENTLEY- we have obvious needs at G and he's the best on the market (assuming hutch is taged), there will be a bidding war but we have plenty of ammo for that. Also, he's versitile, so if we have problems at C, injury or otherwise we can move him over and fill the G spot with wells or a rook.

4.) DT- Sign KENDRICK CLANCEY- Not exactly the sexiest name in FA but he has been credited for the drastic improvement in the NYG run D, he's use to clogging up the midddle and letting the ends rush. Fits our need perfectly and wont break the bank, I dont think we need a big name stud at dt just a solid run stuffer.

5.) FS- Sign CHRIS HOPE or WILL DEMPS- Again neither are household names but they fit the bill they can play the pass infinately better than old man griffith and they both come from systems with playmaking Strong safeties (palamalu/reed)

DRAFT
1.) L.White
2.) Best T available
3.) Best TE available / possibly C (the only C I would consider here would be N.Mangold, although I bypass him if a TE like Klopfenstein or Fasano was on the board)

I didnt exactly break the bank in FA here, but I really dont think we need to nor should we go sign high priced big names. If I was to add another FA I would make it Will Witherspoon to add a little experience to the LB corp and help step up and stuff the run.

ROSTER (new players in bold)

qb- warner / FIEDLER
rb- L.WHITE / jj
wr- fitz
wr- q
wr- johnson / mccoy
lt- big
lg- BENTLEY
c- leckey (possibly mangold)
rg- brown
rt- ross/2ND RD ROOK (o'callahan/trueblood/coolidge etc.)
te- 3RD RD ROOK (klopfenstein/fasano) / bergen

dt- CLANCEY
dt- dockett
de- okefor
de- berry
olb- dansby
mlb- hayes
olb- blackstock (possibly WITHERSPOON)
cb- rolle
cb- green/macklin
ss- wilson
fs- HOPE/DEMPS

This offseason addresses all of our needs and doesn't tie up all of our cap money in the future in case a QB becomes avaiable in FA.

p.s. the left side of our OL (davis/bentley) with l.white running behind it reminds me of a poor mans version of seattle with jones/hutch/alexander. Only we have a top notch passing game to go along with it, YIKES!
________
156/85

Last edited:

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
excellent mix of realism and addressing needs in the right priority

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
My Dream Off Season:

1) Sign Kurt Warner to three year 15 million dollar deal
2) Trade Bryant Johnson, Eric Green and a third round pick to Atlanta for Matt Schaub (learn under Warner for one year and get him time when inevitable Warner goes down)
3) Trade with Miami for fourth round pick and swapping of first round picks and acquire Ricky Williams (this is my dream off season, right? Ricky is the tackel breaking big game back we need)
4) Draft Vernon Davis at #16 (or maybe Lewis or Pope)
5) Draft Eric Winston early in the second round (knee problems early this year plus a disappointing season could cause this drop)
6) Sign Rocky Bernard from Seattle
7) Sign LeCharles Bentley from New Orleans
8) Sign Jeff Runyan from Philadelphia (i like the vet influence he will provide)
9) Sign young progressing MLB and FS who are on the possible verge of breaking out (what you want me to do all the research Cardinals? Look into it…..

Here is our offense:
QB: Warner/Schaub
RB: Ricky Williams/JJ
WR: Boldin/drafted player
WR: Fitz/McCoy
TE: Davis
LT: Runyan
LG: BIG
C: Bentley
RG: Brown
RT: Eric Winston

With outstanding depth with Step, Leckey, Ross, and Wells

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Here is what i think will really happen tough:

Cards sign Edgerrin James to big money deal (James is looking to cash out, Cardinals need a big name, voila)
Cards sign Demps (also looking to cash out )
Cardinals sign Chris Hovan ( you heard it here first )
Cardinals draft Winston Justice
Cardinals draft Lewis or Pope (whom ever falls) with top second round pick
Cardinals sign Jeff Backus
Cardinals draft Manigold out of OSU with third round pick

thats what i think will happen.....some of those moves i like ( Hovan and James) some i dont (justice and backus)

I also think there is a chance we can get Hutchinson....i know the Seahawks want to keep him, but i think they drafted Chris Spencer last year for this very off season. If they pay Alexander, they maybe willing to let Hutch go. And thats when we throw the bank at him.....

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
2) Trade Bryant Johnson, Eric Green and a third round pick to Atlanta for Matt Schaub (learn under Warner for one year and get him time when inevitable Warner goes down)

8) Sign Jeff Runyan from Philadelphia (i like the vet influence he will provide)

LT: Runyan

BJ and a 3rd, Yes. BJ, Green, and a 3rd, not a chance in hell. Green is already rumored to be the starting CB opposite of Rolle next year, and with Macklin on his last year of his deal, Green very young and most likely a starter, we are shooting ourselves in the foot at the CB spot not only this year but years to come, unless we sign another non-old starter.

Runyan is a Vet yes, but he is old, lossing a step, he is a below average pass protector, at his older age is only an average run blocker now, and is a RT not a LT.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
I also think there is a chance we can get Hutchinson....i know the Seahawks want to keep him, but i think they drafted Chris Spencer last year for this very off season. If they pay Alexander, they maybe willing to let Hutch go. And thats when we throw the bank at him.....

Spencer was brought in to be the eventual replacement for 35 year old Chris Gray at RG or 35 year old Robby Tobeck at OC.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
BJ and a 3rd, Yes. BJ, Green, and a 3rd, not a chance in hell. Green is already rumored to be the starting CB opposite of Rolle next year, and with Macklin on his last year of his deal, Green very young and most likely a starter, we are shooting ourselves in the foot at the CB spot not only this year but years to come, unless we sign another non-old starter.

Runyan is a Vet yes, but he is old, lossing a step, he is a below average pass protector, at his older age is only an average run blocker now, and is a RT not a LT.

Originally i had only BJ and a third but then i read in the Schaub thread that teams were offereing a #1. So i thought were Atlanta has a defeciency (secondary) and gave up a valuable player so we could keep our first two picks. BJ is mostly a throw in as i dont think he has much value at all.

Runyan would be brought on for a two year deal and would provide nastiness and an edge to an otherwise soft unit. With impressionable players thats important. The thing is the guys on my ideal line are interchangable so put Runyan at RT, BIG at guard (where i think he would be devastating) and Winston at LT if you feel he can handle the job. Bentley and Brown should both have big years and you cant have pro bowlers up and down the line. the cap just doesnt allow for it. To me that would be a above average to very good NFL oline with a good mix of experience and youth.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
Spencer was brought in to be the eventual replacement for 35 year old Chris Gray at RG or 35 year old Robby Tobeck at OC.

I agree in part but i think you are kidding yourself if you think a 9-7 team with other holes would spend a 1st round pick on a guy that they didnt even consider would be a possible replacement for the loss of one of their best players. Im sure both schools of thought were kept in mind and that is why they made the pick they did as it fulfilled two potential needs going into 2007. I just dont think they are going to keep both big ticket items, as Super Bowl = FA value skyrockets, and even Paul Allen doesnt want to put his team in cap hell for five years. Im not saying its for sure but its something to keep in mind....

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
Runyan would be brought on for a two year deal and would provide nastiness and an edge to an otherwise soft unit.

Nastiness or edge still doesnt mean he is any good. The guy just is not that good anymore. He has never been a pass protector in fact he is pretty bad it, allowing 7 sacks a season, thats not good. But now with age and starting 144 straight games :eek: he is losing his run blocking ability that made him good in the past. There is a big reason why the Eagles are most likely going to let him walk, and it isnt becuase he will cost to much.

spanky1

Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
Here is what i think will really happen tough:

Cards sign Edgerrin James to big money deal (James is looking to cash out, Cardinals need a big name, voila)
Cards sign Demps (also looking to cash out )
Cardinals sign Chris Hovan ( you heard it here first )
Cardinals draft Winston Justice
Cardinals draft Lewis or Pope (whom ever falls) with top second round pick
Cardinals sign Jeff Backus
Cardinals draft Manigold out of OSU with third round pick

thats what i think will happen.....some of those moves i like ( Hovan and James) some i dont (justice and backus)

Let's look at this:

a) Sign Edgerrin James. I concede that I would consider this.
b) There are more talented FS in the draft than Demps or Hope.
c) Sign Chris Hovan. Green passed on him last year and has no interest in him. Tampa have gone on record as saying that they will re-sign him.
d) Draft Winston Justice......fine, but in what round. Do you realize that his knee injury was quite severe and that he is only still operating at 80%. He also has character issues that Green tries to stay away from.
e) We will not sign a TE on day one....sorry.
f) Sign Jeff Backus.......and have him replace Davis? Backus is a LT. C'mon.
g) Mangold in the 3rd round......your joking right? He is more likely to go in the 1st.....and certainly the 2nd round.

Seattle have a ton of cap room to sign both Alexander and Hutchison.....plus, do you know who there owner is? In case you don't, the S'Hawks are owned by billionaire Paul Allen. He has no problem spending money.

CardsFan222

Rookie
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
Let's look at this:

He also has character issues that Green tries to stay away from.

I think its the other way around. Green always drafts guys that have Character issues. Moss, Underwood, Dockett, and even Hovan had some character issues when they came out of school.

But i agree about winston justice. Any football player with bad legs scare me but when they are on the Line........no way. I dont want him or the kid from Miami( Eric winston right......i can never remember his name)

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Here's my scenario:
1-sign LeCharles Bentley
2- trade a conditional 1st round pick in 2007 along with Bryant Johnson to Minnesota for Daunte Culpepper.
3-sign Larry Triplett for the DL
4-sign a veteran OG for OL depth or possibly start
5-sign Jamar Fletcher as a nickel back
draft DeAngelo Williams/ LenDale White in round 1
Leonard Pope in round 2-one of the TE's will drop
Nate Salley in round 3
OT in 4th
I think the OL will improve with better/more experienced coaching but they definitely need upgraded. The QB situation would be dependant on Culpepper's health. If he can get back by game 1 we're fine.If not, sign Warner and make it a contract that is easy to get rid of him after year 1.

Lineup:
qb-Culpepper,Warner ??, Navarre, Davey
wr-Boldin,Fitz, McCoy
te-Pope,Bergen, Edwards
rb-White/Williams, JJ, JR Redmond
fb-Femi, Hodgins
ol-Big,Step, Bentley,Brown,Ross,Leckey, Wells, OG from free agency, rookie OT from draft

defense
dl-Berry,Triplett,Dockett,Okeafor, Pace,Davis,Smith, Roos K.
lb- Dansby, Hayes,Darling,Blackstock, Mitchell, Huff
db-Rolle, Green, Macklin, Fletcher, Wilson, Griffith, Salley

Last edited:
OP
OP
sundevil04

sundevil04

AZ Cardinals Mortgage Guy
Reaction score
Go

spanky1 said:
Let's look at this:

e) We will not sign a TE on day one....sorry.

f) Sign Jeff Backus.......and have him replace Davis? Backus is a LT. C'mon.

g) Mangold in the 3rd round......your joking right? He is more likely to go in the 1st.....and certainly the 2nd round.

e.) your telling me tha if L.Pope is sitting there starring us in the face in rd2 Green won't go for a value pick, bpa, at a position of need? not to mention the only top tier TE who can block, which denny loves

f.) backus spent last season at LT but the lions have said the believe he is better suited for RT, that seems to be the general concensus in FA.

g.) E.Brown in the 4th rd...your joking right?...sound familiar, I heard this all over different boards last year at this time, players slide, especially centers and lbs.
________
Steroid Rehab Advice

Last edited: