Nash saves energy with Suns adjusted offense

cly2tw

Reaction score
Not sure if this is redundant. But Nash admitted himself that he didn't have enough energy to play defense in our old System where Nash was the only one to create shots on offense. This explains why I felt that Nash's defense had been much better lately. He could stay in front of Iverson better than LB in the back to backs recently. What we need to work on is to develop some plays using back door screens to get Nash some catch and shoot opportunities in addition to the pullup behind Shaq/Amare screens. That's huge for our chance in the playoffs, if we could play solid defense all through.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nash adjusts role for Shaq

by Paul Coro - Apr. 4, 2008 10:21 PM
The Arizona Republic

Suns guard Steve Nash, ever aggressive at heart, was resigned to turning conservative with his game last month.

He was going from running the Suns' transition game to a different game of transition, adapting to a new offense when Shaquille O'Neal was on the floor. In the past two weeks, two things happened as Nash became more comfortable and emerged from what he called a midseason camp.

He is ramping up the aggression again and found that a less-taxing offensive responsibility means he can expend more on the defensive end.

"I'm kind of in the middle," Nash said of his risk-taking. "I'm feeling a little more familiarity and understanding that I can go back to being more aggressive. At the same time, I still try to rein it a little bit, because there's some room for growth and because we don't have the same rhythm as we used to.

"We used to be able to have all five guys moving and making plays on our quickness and timing. Whereas now with Shaq, we've got to be a bit more premeditated, which is good."

Coach Mike D'Antoni describes the Suns as more of a "rhythm" team. There is less of a breakneck pace and more half-court sets. That means Nash - as the team's, and maybe the NBA's, best perimeter shooter - must shoot more often off O'Neal screens.

"That might be the best shot we get," D'Antoni said. "We want him to be aggressive."

New offensive sets don't require Nash to create as much by keeping his dribble and circle through traffic. He often comes off a pick and passes. He might bring up the ball and just feed O'Neal in the post. At other times he simply is the first passer in a ball-moving set.

It is saving his energy and body, because he no longer has the burden of creating every Suns opportunity.

"I'll have to be honest," Nash said. "Lately, I feel like the surplus energy I've been able to put in my defense. In the past, I haven't had a lot of gas to really play a lot of D. I've been able to have more energy on pick-and-rolls and more energy to cover (Allen) Iverson for a couple of games late in games. I didn't really always have those reserves before because of all my responsibilities offensively."

The new parts of the offense can make for a smoother transition to when Leandro Barbosa is the point guard because he does not have to try to emulate Nash's playmaking.

"It's set up to be successful in the playoffs," Nash said. "We're getting a preview of it right now, and the playoffs, if anything, would only highlight what Shaq does to our team."

Free throws

Stu Jackson, the NBA's executive vice president of basketball operations, rescinded the second technical foul that Raja Bell received Tuesday at Denver.

• The Phoenix Suns Wives will hold a book drive before Sunday's game against Dallas. For each new or gently used book, donors will receive a raffle ticket for a chance to be one of five winners who will meet a Suns starter and receive his autographed jersey.

• Fans can vote for the Dan Majerle Hustle Award through Wednesday at suns.com.

• Ex-California star Sean Marks, with a tongue-in-cheek assessment of the Golden Bears' hiring of Mike Montgomery, who previously coached rival Stanford and Golden State: "This is the top of where he wants to be in the Bay Area. He eventually got to the top. It's just a natural progression. . . . (Stanford) was a building block for him."

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Our offense has the tendency to be stagnant as of late too. Props to Nash's defense, but Im not sold yet if it's at the expense of superior offense.