Nash to replace Yao in the All-Star game

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Y! Sources: Western Conference All-Star reserves: T. Duncan, P. Gasol, R. Westbrook, B. Griffin, M. Ginobili, D. Nowitzki, and D. Williams.
Y! Sports has obtained list of All-Star reserves. Eastern Con: R. Allen, P. Pierce, R. Rondo, K. Garnett, C. Bosh, A. Horford, J. Johnson,
All four? Really?

Phoenix's Steve Nash is a strong favorite to replace the injured Yao Ming on the Western Conference roster, sources told Y! Sports

http://twitter.com/wojyahoonba

Nash deserves it. He's putting up better numbers than he did when he was a 2 time MVP.

And I didn't think Westbrook deserves it over Nash. Just because OKC has a better record....

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All four? Really?

http://twitter.com/wojyahoonba

Nash deserves it. He's putting up better numbers than he did when he was a 2 time MVP.

And I didn't think Westbrook deserves it over Nash. Just because OKC has a better record....

and because he's better in scoring, rebounding and defense. come on. Westbrook is a complete and utter stud who plays just as well on offense as he does defense for a division leader. Steve Nash is a very great one dimensional player on a team that's on the outside looking in of the 8th playoff spot. giving Nash the nod over Westbrook would make no sense this year.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just want Nash to get some rest during All-Star Weekend. Even if Nash were invited to fill-in my the commissioner, I hope he finds a reason to get out of it. Steve has nothing left to prove.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just want Nash to get some rest during All-Star Weekend. Even if Nash were invited to fill-in my the commissioner, I hope he finds a reason to get out of it. Steve has nothing left to prove.

+1. I'd be all for him making the team except I finally see some reason for hope. Letting him rest that weekend beats the heck out of the 15 minutes I'd get to watch him in the All Star game.

Steve

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I want him to go or else it would be the 6th time in NBA history that the Suns don't have anyone to represent in the All Star game.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'll be surprised if Nash is selected. The West already has three PGs and is short on big men. If it were my team and I had only one spot left to fill, Nash wouldn't even be on the list.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll be surprised if Nash is selected. The West already has three PGs and is short on big men. If it were my team and I had only one spot left to fill, Nash wouldn't even be on the list.

Why not? I can see putting Westbrook there ahead of him but Nash certainly deserves to be on the list IMO. He's a popular player which is mostly what the all star game is about. Also, it's typically a defense free game and that is what Nash excels at. Add in the fact that he's happy just setting up other players and he's perfect for this kind of game. I don't want him there (for our sake) and I think Westbrook deserves it more but I can't say Nash doesn't deserve it at all.

Steve

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I bet if Pop asked the non-PG players on the West roster, they'd ALL pick Steve Nash.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Why not? I can see putting Westbrook there ahead of him but Nash certainly deserves to be on the list IMO.

Sorry, I meant assuming that Westbrook is already on, which he is. His position on the team is no longer open to debate. "One spot to fill." I see no reason to carry four PGs when the team needs big men.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Sorry, I meant assuming that Westbrook is already on, which he is. His position on the team is no longer open to debate. "One spot to fill." I see no reason to carry four PGs when the team needs big men.

Who cares about the "team"? It's the All-Star game, for chrissakes. They want someone to put butts in the seats and make money. Nash will do that more than Kevin Love.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well, that makes sense. I can see why the NBA might want Nash on there but I think Love deserves to make it.

Steve

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Its not like the all star game is a game of matchups.

Amare and Dwight are gonna be guarded by Gasol and 'Melo so it doesnt even matter if there is enough big men or not.

Last edited:

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
and because he's better in scoring, rebounding and defense. come on. Westbrook is a complete and utter stud who plays just as well on offense as he does defense for a division leader. Steve Nash is a very great one dimensional player on a team that's on the outside looking in of the 8th playoff spot. giving Nash the nod over Westbrook would make no sense this year.

Warrick is one-dimensional, not Nash.

I'm not sure if Nash should be on the team, but the whole winning team aspect is ridiculous. Should Blair be on the team in that case since the Spurs record is so good? Somehow, Love and Nash need be on that team. Too bad the West is so deep. I'd probably have Love on there instead of Duncan (or Griffin) and Nash in the Yao spot. That still leaves Aldridge out by a hair. Odom can stay out.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Who cares about the "team"? It's the All-Star game, for chrissakes. They want someone to put butts in the seats and make money. Nash will do that more than Kevin Love.

The game will be sold out either way. I don't know why we're arguing about this. All I said was that I'll be surprised if Stern selects a fourth PG -- to replace Yao Ming, no less -- when the team doesn't have very many bigs. If it were my decision, that's not the way I would go. I'm not insulting Nash.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Nash is still the bomb and brings the play style that AllStar crowds go nuts for. Steve rules, I hope he drops 20 and 15 tonight, he can do it any night. I aint worried about him playing 20 mins in the AS game, dude will be just fine. :rockon:

Attachments

• imagesNASHEYE.jpg
    imagesNASHEYE.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 160
  • NASHLIP.jpg
    NASHLIP.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 159
  • NASHNOSE.jpg
    NASHNOSE.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 159
  • NASHTWICE.jpg
    NASHTWICE.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Warrick is one-dimensional, not Nash.

one dimensional as he only excels in offense. i think you know what i meant there.

I'm not sure if Nash should be on the team, but the whole winning team aspect is ridiculous.

no it's not. it's how the All-Star game has always been.

Should Blair be on the team in that case since the Spurs record is so good?

this is a ridiculous projection of my argument and you know it. i was talking about ALL the reasons that Westbrook should be in there over Nash and the fact that the Thunder are 7 games better than us, does matter.

Somehow, Love and Nash need be on that team. Too bad the West is so deep. I'd probably have Love on there instead of Duncan (or Griffin) and Nash in the Yao spot. That still leaves Aldridge out by a hair. Odom can stay out.

why does Nash belong in there over Aldridge or Griffin in your opinion?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nash left off the team. Its official. Its oK.

The biggest snub is Love. No one averaging 15.5 rebounds and leading the league in rebounds should be left off the all-star team.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Good for Nash to get a break. Ludicrous that there's no Love, all hip hop money bitch gangsters.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
It's an exhibition game that relies on having excellent distributors. Does Love deserve it more than Nash? Of course! Would the game in general be better if Nash is included? Of course.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Bay Area is pretty upset about Ellis getting snubbed. Of course, if Williams still has his wrist issue, perhaps Nash or Ellis will be named his injury replacement?

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
one dimensional as he only excels in offense. i think you know what i meant there.

I know what you meant, but that's an extremely reductive statement as you've limited the game to only two dimensions.

no it's not. it's how the All-Star game has always been.

The fact that it's always been like that does not make it less ridiculous. I want to see the players who are playing the best this year. An All Star selection is about the only non-financial solace a player doing well on a bad team can get.

this is a ridiculous projection of my argument and you know it. i was talking about ALL the reasons that Westbrook should be in there over Nash and the fact that the Thunder are 7 games better than us, does matter.

I was exaggerating to raise the question of how much the winning aspect should weigh in the determination of All Star selections.

why does Nash belong in there over Aldridge or Griffin in your opinion?

I'm not positive he should be, especially since there are a few good PGs on the team already, but I know Love should be ranked above LA and probably Griffin. He is doing some amazing things. He shouldn't be punished for being surrounded by scrubs.

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont get why they vote Griffin and not Love. Blake is having an impressive season, but they should have given that spot to Love.

Magnus

Veteran
Reaction score
I dont get why they vote Griffin and not Love. Blake is having an impressive season, but they should have given that spot to Love.

That's true from a numbers standpoint. But I think it's more entertaining for a crowd to watch Blake Griffin. I see KLove more as a work guy, he uses intelligence, good positioning etc. Griffin, he combines freak athleticism and creativity.

To summarize, Kevin Love is able to put up spectacular numbers, but Blake is able to put up his numbers in a spectactular way, and that's the difference.