NBA All-Star Weekend thread

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
:bang:Thats it...we trade Nash immediately!!

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Couple thoughts from what i have seen so far.

- Jordan Farmar is going to be an All Star in this league. I think he was the best player in the Rookie/Soph game and he is only going to get better. i wanted him before the draft as he seemed like the perfect Nash understudy.....and then we passed on him. WTF? One of stupidest moves to have taken place under Sarver's watch.

- Jamario Moon is the Matrix 2: Reloaded

- Skills challenge was a joke. Nice to see Amare hit that straight away three right off the bat though.

- Nash looked terrible in the 3 point shootout. This worries me. I read a report that he has been non stop since he got there and i am worried about him getting worn out. He was the only guy to be so immersed in the volunteer work and spend the entire day there.(there is a great quote from him in the most recent J.A. Adande article on ESPN.com). If Shaq wasn't needing to be integrated I would be in favor of giving him some more time off after the break.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Hmmm, the Superman move wasn't even a dunk. If you jump up high and hit a half court shot, would that be a 50?

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Howard just ran away with this thing! I think the pushed ball of the backboard even owned his sticker dunk.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
How did Moon not get in the finals over green? The guy took off half a step inside the free throw line with his left foot and dunked with his left hand. that was amazing.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was very impressed with Moon.

Green's Birthday Cake dunk was sick. Dwight's first dunk and the tap dunk were both insane.

However, I think the most impressive dunk was Green's sock dunk. I don't know how many of you have tried to play on the hardwood in your socks, but it's damn near impossible. The fact that he did a legitimate 9 score dunk in his socks, not just a little regular dunk, was very impressive to me. I am surprised he didn't bust his ass.

I really wanted to see Dwight do his "kiss the rim" dunk though.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
im so sick of in between the leg dunks... since Vince and Jason pretty much pulled the best in between the legs... everyone elses has been generic.

Green's without shoes dunk was hard, but he could of atleast tried to do a different dunk.. and yes its hard without shoes.. not to mention its against his contract.... isnt it?.. Im sure players are to wear the right gear doing such moves to protect themselves... If I was McHale I wouldnt be happy... jumping that high and landing on bare feet is asking for trouble..

and Dwight's superman was fun.. creative.. and just entertained everyone.. again this is the sort of things people want to see... its a dunk by the way... look up the definition of a dunk.. and he was so high, he threw the ball down... DOWN from 4 feet away... he's head was a foot above the rim at his peak....

generic in between the leg dunks should be banned... unless its the double between the legs... that would be worthy.

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is video footage of Shaq this weekend at all? Looks like zero on nba.com...

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dwight Howard is just plain awesome. Freak of nature and such a great personality. My favorite player in the league that is not a Laker.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
from tonight i learned:

a) Suns need to get kapono here :)

b) howard and green are both maniacs

c) Deron williams is even better than i thought. set the record for the skills competition...very impressive.

Delmon Young

Rookie
Reaction score
"A slam dunk (or simply a dunk) is a type of basketball shot that is performed when a player jumps in the air and manually powers the ball through the basket with one or both of his hands, then often grabs the rim shortly after the ball passes through the hoop (a dunk is still being performed if the rim is not grabbed, as long as the athlete powers the ball through the hoop manually). This is a standard field goal worth two points" www.dictionary.com

The Superman dunk was a dunk but I think people don't understand that he meant to throw it through. If you go back and watch the replay, he slowed down and jumped with both feet (instead of one stretched out like normal), which would slow down anyone's momentum a bunch. If he wanted to get a running start and do a regular dunk, he could of easily, but that wouldn't of been as memorable.

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What was up with Steve in the 3 point contest? He was horrible.

Howard was great in the dunk contest. :)

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
"A slam dunk (or simply a dunk) is a type of basketball shot that is performed when a player jumps in the air and manually powers the ball through the basket with one or both of his hands, then often grabs the rim shortly after the ball passes through the hoop (a dunk is still being performed if the rim is not grabbed, as long as the athlete powers the ball through the hoop manually). This is a standard field goal worth two points" www.dictionary.com

The Superman dunk was a dunk but I think people don't understand that he meant to throw it through. If you go back and watch the replay, he slowed down and jumped with both feet (instead of one stretched out like normal), which would slow down anyone's momentum a bunch. If he wanted to get a running start and do a regular dunk, he could of easily, but that wouldn't of been as memorable.

Exactly. This was the whole point. This is precisely how someone who could fly would dunk, and it was a conscious decision on Howard's part to dunk the way he did.

On another message board, we were making fun of Dr. J for being such an arrogant prick (great player or no) by spending like 10 minutes clumsily explaining that "the difficulty of jumping in your socks" was more important than the entertainment of the fans. On All-Star weekend. Woe unto us, we mere mortals, for not understanding the difficulty and wonder of the shoeless dunk, and just voting for who we like the most.

Mike Fratello also discounted fan involvement earlier on, too, saying something like he didn't like the idea of fans being able to vote in who they liked in the dunk contest. Reggie Miller was quick to call him on it. Reggie said something like "the fans have been voting in starters on the All-Star team for 10-15 years" and that the whole point of All-Star weekend was for the NBA to take a little break and do things strictly for the very entertainment of fans. Fratello quickly shut up about it. ;)