NBA Finals Boston vs Dallas (poll)

Who will be Champions?

• Total voters

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
National media putting Luka to the torch tonight. Not getting back on defense, lazy, selfish play on offense and antagonizing the refs to no end.

Apparently, after picking up his 6th foul, he did the "money" sign at one of the refs, still didn't get a tech. Mind blowing that the guy who gets more laughable calls in his favor than anyone in the league is also the one of complains about officiating more than anyone I can ever remember.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The series is over. Luka might be one of the worst superstar defenders in the league. His lateral movement is non-existent. He is such a liability defensively. The Mavs are constantly rotating another guy to help.

It’s so obvious Boston knows it too. They repeatedly all night tried to get a matchup against Luka. I have not seen a team blatantly target a superstar like this since Nash.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What a nice gut punch for Dallas huge comeback to blow up in their face with Luka getting tossed lol. Was even more satisfying seeing them think they were gonna pull it off only to get beat again!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Jalen Brown, what a player. and good effort by Tatum today. he stepped up big time. credit where credit is due. the two best guys stepped up down the stretch and doncic was on the bench for taking a dumb foul. I don't blame doncic for the loss. he does have some maturing to do.

I don't blame Luka either they were + with him in minus with him out but that run in the 3rd quarter that was virtually the same every time down, Luka gets beat, rotate, Celtics swing the ball like poetry until someone gets a dunk or a wide open 3. The driving dunk by Brown to make it a 15 point game they showed us a perfect angle replay of him faking to get Luka to rotate to the wrong side and then exploding where Luka left for the dunk. That whole quarter Luka was like a LB filling the wrong gap on defense.

Also seems to me Boston has decided to not let Luka shoot a 3 unless it's 28 feet or deeper they'll risk the blowby to stop him getting the 3

And Boston has done a great job all series of taking away the lobs that Dallas used so effectively with their bigs prior to this series. Probably unfair as it is likely coaching but seeing how many dunks Dallas had against Minnesota and the DPOY compared to how few they're getting against 60 year old Horford makes me wonder?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They're a complete team, destroying this playoffs with a deep roster of guys who fit together.

On a given night any one of 4 or 5 guys could be their best player.

What a steal Derrick white was for them. When they first made that deal I was confused... they already had a defensive guard who really struggled to shoot in Smart. But White is quite a bit better than Smart at pretty much everything and plays with a much cooler head.

White reminds me, back in college he was this kid who came from a I think D2 school to Colorado and had no fanfare. I remember them against UCLA and Bill Walton said White is going to have a long NBA career and I just laughed, Bill's on one today. But that was his point then he said his defense is so good he'll find a way and he has.

Love to see guys like that who work for everything they have

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your just now figuring that out?

There is a reason I said trading KD is the only way forward.

I'm way ahead of you. I never would have made the Durant trade.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In fairness, on Luka's 6th foul, Jaylen Brown pushes Doncic out of the way with his right shoulder and arm.

IMO, that is a close call for a Finals series.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
BirdGangThing

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
dallas should've played to where the refs couldn't mess up the game - with a big cushion but instead they pooped the bed

Chris_Sanders

Turbo Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
National media putting Luka to the torch tonight. Not getting back on defense, lazy, selfish play on offense and antagonizing the refs to no end.

Apparently, after picking up his 6th foul, he did the "money" sign at one of the refs, still didn't get a tech. Mind blowing that the guy who gets more laughable calls in his favor than anyone in the league is also the one of complains about officiating more than anyone I can ever remember.

100%. I was amazed he didn't get a tech and then complains they weren't allowed to be physical.

Dude you had a 20-2 run being physical...

Lorenzo

Reaction score
What a nice gut punch for Dallas huge comeback to blow up in their face with Luka getting tossed lol. Was even more satisfying seeing them think they were gonna pull it off only to get beat again!
Luka getting tossed, the refs are putting the Celtics through... Just joking, I know I've seen you use that in your posts.

I never thought dallas was going to win in that comeback stretch. it wasn't sustainable. I do wish that they played that desperate more often. It's the finals for f's sake. I wish that doncic tried to draw a charge earlier in the game before he had 5 fouls.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
100%. I was amazed he didn't get a tech and then complains they weren't allowed to be physical.

Dude you had a 20-2 run being physical...
I agree, it was a very physical game throughout. some of the foul calls as always are weird. I think Holiday could have been called for more fouls. but I don't know how you ref a game where there are 3-4 fouls on every possession by both teams. the players scream and 1 after every contested shot and they were usually right.

Lorenzo

Reaction score

doncic played his best defense in that 20-2 run or whatever it was. he definitely could have had a lose ball foul a few possessions before when he threw his body in the way to guard a lose ball. he was in a desperate situation. I don't think doncic was being lazy on that last foul. it's a risk that he can't take with 5 fouls. you can't put the refs in that situation. they have to make a call there. and it was the right call. Ironically, being lazy and letting brown blow by him would have been the right play.

doncic is overmatched in this series. does he need to complain less and play harder for the entire game on defense? ok yeah I can see that. and that is an area that he will need to improve on in the future. but it's not leading to a mavs series win over Boston. the only way dallas is winning a game in this series is if some of the other mavs players start scoring. mavs scoring in the 90's is not going to win. Tim Hardaway Jr. the guy who took doncic's place after fouling out had 0 points. and he's not out there for his defensive and rebounding capability.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
doncic played his best defense in that 20-2 run or whatever it was. he definitely could have had a lose ball foul a few possessions before when he threw his body in the way to guard a lose ball. he was in a desperate situation. I don't think doncic was being lazy on that last foul. it's a risk that he can't take with 5 fouls. you can't put the refs in that situation. they have to make a call there. and it was the right call. Ironically, being lazy and letting brown blow by him would have been the right play.

doncic is overmatched in this series. does he need to complain less and play harder for the entire game on defense? ok yeah I can see that. and that is an area that he will need to improve on in the future. but it's not leading to a mavs series win over Boston. the only way dallas is winning a game in this series is if some of the other mavs players start scoring. mavs scoring in the 90's is not going to win. Tim Hardaway Jr. the guy who took doncic's place after fouling out had 0 points. and he's not out there for his defensive and rebounding capability.
Speaking of Tim Hardaway.....he hasn't made a fg in forever. Gah

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I don't blame Luka either they were + with him in minus with him out but that run in the 3rd quarter that was virtually the same every time down, Luka gets beat, rotate, Celtics swing the ball like poetry until someone gets a dunk or a wide open 3. The driving dunk by Brown to make it a 15 point game they showed us a perfect angle replay of him faking to get Luka to rotate to the wrong side and then exploding where Luka left for the dunk. That whole quarter Luka was like a LB filling the wrong gap on defense.

Also seems to me Boston has decided to not let Luka shoot a 3 unless it's 28 feet or deeper they'll risk the blowby to stop him getting the 3

And Boston has done a great job all series of taking away the lobs that Dallas used so effectively with their bigs prior to this series. Probably unfair as it is likely coaching but seeing how many dunks Dallas had against Minnesota and the DPOY compared to how few they're getting against 60 year old Horford makes me wonder?
for sure, all good points. a lot of the damage was in that third quarter when Boston were not missing any shots, especially from 3. the Celtics are not rotating off of other players to double doncic when he comes into the paint. they are letting him have those looks and he has to work hard to get there. that's a smart way to defend him. he's gonna score, but he's going to work and he's not going to get other people easy looks.

Peter Sheldon

Veteran
Reaction score
These games definitely magnify the glaring defensive weakness of the Suns. The Mavs crushed the best defense in the league (Minnesota) only to be crushed by what appears to be an even better defense in Boston. Boston can even being missing their best defensive piece and still win. And they can win without even shooting well. Against Suns, it would be a slaughter of biblical proportions.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These games definitely magnify the glaring defensive weakness of the Suns. The Mavs crushed the best defense in the league (Minnesota) only to be crushed by what appears to be an even better defense in Boston. Boston can even being missing their best defensive piece and still win. And they can win without even shooting well. Against Suns, it would be a slaughter of biblical proportions.

It takes a team, not three supposed stars. The future is not looking bright for the Suns.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stbmd