NBA FINALS: San Antonio vs. Detroit

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
they'd crush anyone they played. Even with Dyess back (and I know he had big injury concerns - still didn't stop Detroit from risking 4 mill for him) I believe we would have that player to solidify our D enough.

we would have the player to solidify the D, the bench, and the boards. Still, I have a lot of trouble believing those knees are going to hold up much longer. I think I would rather have Q.

I posted athread about this at the end of the WCF, but I really think it was to the Phoenix Suns long-term benefit to lose the way they did to San Antonio. From the management to the coaches to the players everyone acknowledged to right after that Game 5 exactly what the Phoenix Suns need to do to get to the next level.

On a side note, Ginobilli has been flopping all over the place again.

As well as Detroit has played in this first half they are only ahead by 2 points with 10 seconds left in the first half. The score is low and ugly, but I think it has actually been a good game to watch so far. Of course I love basketball. I can only imagine how poor the ratings are going to be for this series.

Joe Mama

asudevil83

Reaction score
ginobili is a little bitch.

this game is intersting......not fun.

its interesting seeing defense being well played by both sides, but it makes for an extremely boring game.

and honestly, i dont think we could have taken Detroit in the finals. with both wallaces down low, they would have contained both amare and marion. the struggles that this team saw against San Antonio would have been magnified by Detroit.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Ginobili 9-10 in the second half, and not one of them was an easy shot. Sick.

cly2tw

Reaction score
If we had Rasheed and Prince instead of Marion and Q, we'd have a chance to win it all already this year despite Amare's lack of defense. Rasheed defended Duncan better than everybody. (Yes, I know Marion + Q have much better stats than Rasheed and Prince.)

Also, Rasheed and Ben would be the only frontcourt that can neutralize Amare somehow. Our chance vs Pistons would be still a great deal higher though, since their offense is so often really bad and they don't have the "sure thing" like Duncan and now more frequently Manu.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
asudevil83 said:
and honestly, i dont think we could have taken Detroit in the finals. with both wallaces down low, they would have contained both amare and marion. the struggles that this team saw against San Antonio would have been magnified by Detroit.

I disagree. Our offense was not horrible versus the Spurs. The problem was that our defense could not stop their offense. We would still score 95+ on Detroit and they would probably not average more than 95. I have no doubt the Suns would whip up on the Pistons, not counting that whole "heart of a champion" factor.

Reaction score
Hopefully there will only be two more games of this suckfest.

I agree with whomever said that poor ratings will improve our chances for next year.

Maybe next year they will enforce the hand-check rule even more vigorously.

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to admit, I've been somewhat of an admirer of the Pistons since they booted Kidd's ass out of the playoffs last year and then blew up the Shaq-Kobe Lakers, but their undressing - both physical and even worse MENTALLY - by the Spurs has been pretty disgusting to watch. These guys are as big of whiners as those Glide, Kersey, Duckworth, Ainge, Drazen, Porter Blazer teams of the early 90s. I hate Shaq 0 but at least he's a relatively stand-up guy when it comes to losing - the Pistons are just freaking delusional. I heard Ben Wallace talking about Manu - saying: "He's not giving us problems... we're giving ourselves problems" - what a joke. I hope this team gets swept in 4 - they're inability ot score and their unbelievable ability to bitch and complain on every single call is bad for basketball.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
I have to admit, I've been somewhat of an admirer of the Pistons since they booted Kidd's ass out of the playoffs last year and then blew up the Shaq-Kobe Lakers, but their undressing - both physical and even worse MENTALLY - by the Spurs has been pretty disgusting to watch. These guys are as big of whiners as those Glide, Kersey, Duckworth, Ainge, Drazen, Porter Blazer teams of the early 90s. I hate Shaq 0 but at least he's a relatively stand-up guy when it comes to losing - the Pistons are just freaking delusional. I heard Ben Wallace talking about Manu - saying: "He's not giving us problems... we're giving ourselves problems" - what a joke. I hope this team gets swept in 4 - they're inability ot score and their unbelievable ability to bitch and complain on every single call is bad for basketball.

I really turned on the Pistons about a week ago when I read their comments regarding the Phoenix Suns. Essentially they said the Phoenix Suns do not play good basketball. I hate blaming things on jealousy, but that's what it seemed liked me. Everybody in the media has been praising the Phoenix Suns and to a lesser extent other teams like the sonics for playing an exciting brand of basketball that is fun to watch. The Pistons know that these people are essentially saying that nobody likes to watch Detroit basketball.

Joe Mama

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
I really turned on the Pistons about a week ago when I read their comments regarding the Phoenix Suns. Essentially they said the Phoenix Suns do not play good basketball.

when did they say that? I must have missed that crap. Screw Detroit.

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Do we know what kind of ratings the 2 Finals games have garnered so far?

they were an 8.8 for Game 1 - I think I read that in the Sunday Times - higher than they anticipated, but still 3 points lower than last year (but 2.5 points higher than Spurs-Nets (you couldn't get much worse than that series though)).

I've got to assume last night's were lower.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The Spurs were really on a roll before tonight. I don't know if anyone had been counting, but they had won eight out of nine against some pretty good opposition.

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ratings for Game 1 was 7.2 and Game 2 was 6.8 or something like that. Snoozefest, but tonight it actually became a series.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I didn't watch the game, but the recap mentioned that Manu was banged up. We've been hearing commentator talk about using hard fouls to get him off his game, and apparently it worked.

If a strategy of hurting the other team's players works, it will set back the NBA as much a strike.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
I didn't watch the game, but the recap mentioned that Manu was banged up. We've been hearing commentator talk about using hard fouls to get him off his game, and apparently it worked.

If a strategy of hurting the other team's players works, it will set back the NBA as much a strike.

He had to come out of the game after the second play. Got hurt while committing an offensive foul.

cly2tw

Reaction score
George O'Brien said:

I only watched the 2nd half but I didn't see no rough play. And Manu still got way too many calls than he deserved and Bowen wasn't called for nearly enough fouls than he deserved. And Manu travels really beautifully for layups! :eek:

justAndy

Jolly Nihilist
Reaction score

I've been saying that if Ginobili is going to keep flopping like some soccer player he deserves to get fouled hard - not dirty though.

NickelBack

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So, Detroit was the first team to score 100 points in the series.

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Next to Michael Jordan, Robert Horry may be the best big shot maker in playoff history. He may not be a great player - but the guy is absolutely invaluable to every team he's played on.

His play in the 4th tonight was just ridiculous. Finally a good NBA Finals game. If Detroit pulls this game out, Game 6 and 7 are gonna be classics.

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nice tip in miss by Duncan at the buzzer to go along with 1-6 fromt he line in the fourth. It's starting to bother me that SA beat us as easily as they did, especially in light of their struggles here and their struggles against a MASH unit in Seattle. To lose in 5 with homecourt advantage just sucks.