NBA Finals: Spurs vs Heat

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Best coach in the League, but that's only Pop of it. Bosh, tried the long shot, I can dig it...but follow your shot sucka. Don't sit there with one hand up "willing" the ball in, you released it, you gotta go get the board when you know it's off. He did the same thing but on defense against the Pacers, sits around watching the shot and got out-rebounded.

Secondly, Babybronbron got used by Parker, who was on a knee at one point. He's 3 feet taller than Parker, but let Parker get between him and the bucket...foolery!!!!!!!!!

Beat that meat San Antonio, because that meat no 6...7.... rings deep by a longshot.

Love it!! :)

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
He can be regarded as a role-playing big but he is not 8th man in Pop's system. He is the starting C.

He plays about half of each game, is rarely on the floor in crunch time, and his numbers have tanked during the playoffs. Lots of teams have a "starting center" who is just a role player.

Having him for 3-4 mil a year was really helpful and he will get paid more this summer. Or you don't think so?

Sure, any competent big is good value for less than MLE money. The Spurs will probably give him a raise, because they take care of their own. But no, there's not going to be a bidding war for Splitter's services, and no one has been calling the Spurs trying to figure out how to get him in a trade.

The Spurs do a terrific job of maximizing the impact of their role players by integrating them with the Big Three. But no "alumnus" of the Spurs system during the Duncan era has gone on to make an impact anywhere else. The Spurs deserve credit for finding ways to make players like Splitter effective, but no one else is looking back at that draft thinking, "Aw hell, we could have had Splitter!"

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Spurs do a terrific job of maximizing the impact of their role players by integrating them with the Big Three. But no "alumnus" of the Spurs system during the Duncan era has gone on to make an impact anywhere else.

Not quite true. George Hill springs to mind in Indiana.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That game reminded me of the good old days. A Pop team scheming out stops and open shots while all the opposing coach could muster up is rolling the ball out to his best player and hoping for the best.

Yep they are so well coached you just know if it's close at the end SA is going to win it seems 80-90% of the time.

They are so smart that even some of Miami's stops it takes a great defensive play because SA just doesn't beat themselves.

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score
Good one. Did you come up with that yourself, or did your little brother help? High fives all around!

I said Splitter was a role-player and you said no he is a role-player.

Please name seven Spurs players who are ahead of him in the rotation.

So you make things up. Splitter has been approached by several teams.
You have no clue.

I already explained to you why it made perfect sense for him to stay in Europe: he earned more money that way. I already explained to you how the rookie scale can be a avoided but you seem to have forgotten already. He also had a little sister who was a pro basketballplayer in Europe who was sick in cancer and later died. He helped take care of her. I have no idea why you keep hating on Splitter. Feel free to do so, it's your personal problem.

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score
By the way, Spurs fans understand that this is the grand finale. Maybe Timmy and Manu will return next year but we are preparing for some tough years ahead. Pop will probably leave when Timmy leaves. We will not get another Tim Duncan even if we will be way under the cap. A few years ahead the Suns might be the better team. That's just the way it is and it's fine with me.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LeBron will have to coach a better game in #2.

Go Blackhawks.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I said Splitter was a role-player and you said no he is a role-player.

So you're really getting hung up on whether he's the 6th, 7th, or 8th man? Okay, he's 6th on the team in minutes played, so I guess "6th man" is more accurate than "8th man." Looks like I was "100% wrong" again.

So you make things up. Splitter has been approached by several teams.

I'm sure you'll be happy to point it out to me when another NBA team signs him for more than the Spurs were willing to pay, or gives up something of value for him in a trade.

I already explained to you why it made perfect sense for him to stay in Europe: he earned more money that way. I already explained to you how the rookie scale can be a avoided but you seem to have forgotten already.

And I already explained to you that those were known issues the first few times he entered the draft, he entered anyway, then chickened out. It's not like he or his agent didn't know about rookie salaries. He avoided the NBA because he knew he wouldn't be a star here, which is what I said all along, and which has been born out as true.

"Learn to read," dang, that's some nasty smack. I bet all the other middle-school kids are really impressed with your intellectual toughness. I hope you'll forgive me for needing a couple of hours after absorbing that blow before being ready to post again.

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score
So you're really getting hung up on whether he's the 6th, 7th, or 8th man? Okay, he's 6th on the team in minutes played, so I guess "6th man" is more accurate than "8th man." Looks like I was "100% wrong" again.

Yes you were wrong again.

I'm sure you'll be happy to point it out to me when another NBA team signs him for more than the Spurs were willing to pay, or gives up something of value for him in a trade.

Ok. Or the Spurs will pay him.

And I already explained to you that those were known issues the first few times he entered the draft, he entered anyway, then chickened out. It's not like he or his agent didn't know about rookie salaries. He avoided the NBA because he knew he wouldn't be a star here, which is what I said all along, and which has been born out as true.

LOL. See my previous post.

"Learn to read," dang, that's some nasty smack. I bet all the other middle-school kids are really impressed with your intellectual toughness. I hope you'll forgive me for needing a couple of hours after absorbing that blow before being ready to post again.

Ok take care of yourself dude. Cheers.

Last edited:

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Pop isn't only smart on the chalkboard, he motivates as well as any yoga coach (even retired ones) in the NBA. Not only are they incredibly utilized with timings and match ups, these cats are extremely motivated. Pop is smart duh, but I think he's probably pulling some beelychek stuff in the locker-room.
I remember one year the hoodie gave his speech before a superbowl to be played, and he didn't talk about offense or defense. He didn't talk about keeping your head, none of that "This is your one moment" , no banging folding chairs against lockers. He pulled out a newspaper from the other team's town and read it out loud. It was the parade route they had planned through out the city, and he read it like it was disgusting him, pausing while mentioning words like "than they will proceed down Main Street". :D

If I'm Pop I'm just gonna play that video with the MEAT and Bronbron talking about 7 or 8 rings....

fin

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I gotta tell ya.. The Spurs love in this thread is sickening.. And I don't get it..

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Spurs are a different team, much different than the ones that hijacked the Suns more than once. Sure, it's still Pop, Duncan, Parker, and G-knob but those cats play some serious ball now. They can beat teams younger and stronger than them with out the tactics that squad as a whole used to pull. Even then, in hindsight, they did what ever it took. I hated them deeply but I won't ever jump on the Meat Wagon, funk that.

Wade is the pimp, the baller, the one who deserves all the respect on that squad. He never intended to leave the Meat, but went around the League posing as a possible player for hire, while the whole time he was just simply gathering information that he could share with the Meat. Add in some tax perks, some of Wade getting into Bosh's and Baby's ear...we now have the Meat. When Wade leaves it will be Cleveland all over again, and Wade is a limpin and uh gimpin, which is a shame. The top shot free agent ballers won't keep coming to Miami after Wade exits the court.

I don't like either team, but I can respect Wade and the real OG Spurs.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spurs are a different team, much different than the ones that hijacked the Suns more than once. Sure, it's still Pop, Duncan, Parker, and G-knob but those cats play some serious ball now. They can beat teams younger and stronger than them with out the tactics that squad as a whole used to pull. Even then, in hindsight, they did what ever it took. I hated them deeply but I won't ever jump on the Meat Wagon, funk that.

Wade is the pimp, the baller, the one who deserves all the respect on that squad. He never intended to leave the Meat, but went around the League posing as a possible player for hire, while the whole time he was just simply gathering information that he could share with the Meat. Add in some tax perks, some of Wade getting into Bosh's and Baby's ear...we now have the Meat. When Wade leaves it will be Cleveland all over again, and Wade is a limpin and uh gimpin, which is a shame. The top shot free agent ballers won't keep coming to Miami after Wade exits the court.

I don't like either team, but I can respect Wade and the real OG Spurs.

I can only laugh at the thought that once Wade leaves, players won't keep coming to Miami to play not only with LeBron, but for Riley...not to mention the tax breaks.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LeBron is the most mercurial uber-superstar this league has ever seen. I just don't get how in a must win game, he can come out in the first half with a stat line of 4 points, 3 rebounds and 1 assist.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
man...this really is like watching the old SSOL v. Spurs games. The Suns always seemed like they should have been up 15 in games, would get like a 5-8 point lead and then the Spurs would consistently erase that lead in the blink of an eye and make just enough plays at the end to win it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And just as I rip LBJ, he throws in a 13 point, 6 rebound, 5 assist, 3 block whirlwind in the second half.

we got ourselves a series.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
San Antonio will gladly take a split heading back to Texas for 3 straight games.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
San Antonio will gladly take a split heading back to Texas for 3 straight games.

Spurs are not as safe as people think. The 2-3-2 format makes HCA less important, especially for a team like Miami that hardly ever loses consecutive games. Miami could take control of the rest of the series with a Game 3 win.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spurs are not as safe as people think. The 2-3-2 for,st makes HCA less important, especially for a team like Miami that hardly ever loses consecutive games. Miami could take control of the rest of the series with a Game 3 win.

i don't think anyone really thinks the Spurs are safe, but they did what any road team needs to do in the Finals and that's take one of the first two. More often then not, in a 7 game series at this level, the road team likely has to win TWO games on the road if they're going to win because their opponent is usually so good that they'll be able to take at least one road game down the line.

game 3 should be a good one.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Reverse posterization!

You must be registered for see images attach

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spurs are not as safe as people think. The 2-3-2 format makes HCA less important, especially for a team like Miami that hardly ever loses consecutive games. Miami could take control of the rest of the series with a Game 3 win.

Who said they were safe? I said they'll gladly take a split heading back to Texas...as opposed to being down 0-2. :shrug:

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score
1-1 is ok but no current team could beat the Heat when they play like this. Pop will make some adjustments but it will be very tough to get three more wins if the Heat keep playing with this intensity throughout the game.

Leonard played great D on LeBron but it must be hard to keep that intensity up for 4 quarters and the Heat also found other ways to score. Manu had a terrible game, over dribbling and being sloppy. Their D on Parker was excellent. Duncan missed shots but they played great D against him as well. Splitter had a bad game, especially rebounding, which is not his strength. Neal still is a terrible defender and the Spurs don't have a reliable backup pg. Joey Crawford was ok this game but I'm glad there will be some other ref the next game.