NBA Trade Winds

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to compile available players in trade talks.

Sacramento Kings - considering offers for any of their Big 3
Mike Bibby (PG)
Ron Artest (F)
Brad Miller (C)

Clippers
Corey Maggette (GF) - have been actively shopping but are underwhelmed by the offers they've received.

Portland Trail Blazers
Jamaal Magloire (C) - have been shopping seldom-used center and his expiring $8.4 million contract with interest in a 1st round pick coming back.

Orlando Magic
Grant Hill - might be willing to part with the forward and his expiring contract ($16.9 million) to the Nets for swingman Vince Carter

Miami Heat
James Posey (GF) - Heat willing to field offers

Memphis
Pau Gasol (C) - Bulls have shown the most interest

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bet if the Suns thought the Kings would agree to a fair deal in division, they'd make their best offer for Brad Miller. I kind of wonder if the Kings wouldn't mind, anyway. They have to rebuild, and Miller doesn't have much of a career left. He could be a huge asset for this team, though.

fordronken

Reaction score
Would anyone here do Banks, Pike and Jumaine for Posey? The Heat need a defensive point guard bad and this trade could make a lot of sense for both teams.

People brought up getting Posey in the David Thorpe chat for ESPN.com. Apparently, he's quite the Dirk stopper.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Would anyone here do Banks, Pike and Jumaine for Posey? The Heat need a defensive point guard bad and this trade could make a lot of sense for both teams.

People brought up getting Posey in the David Thorpe chat for ESPN.com. Apparently, he's quite the Dirk stopper.

If anything it is a salary dump, which at this point is probably a bright idea. Like it has been said before, the Suns should have extended Barbosa or signed Banks. Now it is clear that Barbosa was the right decision, and there just isn't a need for Banks.

Despite what the front office said, there is no way he is a PG. He is an undersized 2 guard. The Suns will have as much luck making Banks a PG as they did with Barbosa, and while he is finally making strides - no one wants him there full time.

By dumping salary they free up room for the MLE this summer if they want to take another stab. I think the Suns are going to try and get something of value for Banks right now, but realistically this may wind up being the best option.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
No way we take Miller and his salary. Would there be any interest in trading our pick for Magloires expiring contract? He could provide front court depth but I doubt we could take his contract on

asudevil83

Reaction score
anyone who makes more than $6.5mil this year, and has more than this year remaining on their contract is pretty much out of the question for the suns.

otherwise we'd have to include KT into the deal, which wouldnt make any sense

fordronken

Reaction score
If anything it is a salary dump, which at this point is probably a bright idea. Like it has been said before, the Suns should have extended Barbosa or signed Banks. Now it is clear that Barbosa was the right decision, and there just isn't a need for Banks.

Despite what the front office said, there is no way he is a PG. He is an undersized 2 guard. The Suns will have as much luck making Banks a PG as they did with Barbosa, and while he is finally making strides - no one wants him there full time.

By dumping salary they free up room for the MLE this summer if they want to take another stab. I think the Suns are going to try and get something of value for Banks right now, but realistically this may wind up being the best option.

I also think James Posey could play for this team. If he can up his three point percentage playing in this system, he could be another good defensive player to throw at some opposing teams.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My vote is for Posey. We have enough to trade for him. At the very least the Suns have shown the uncanny ability to get others involved in 3 way trades. I say we make a run at Posey and then actually use him in the rotation.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
I also think James Posey could play for this team. If he can up his three point percentage playing in this system, he could be another good defensive player to throw at some opposing teams.

Posey 2 years ago could really help this team. There have been a bunch of issues this season about his conditioning though.

He wouldn't be seeing any less time than the 3 people mentioned above combined though....

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
anyone who makes more than $6.5mil this year, and has more than this year remaining on their contract is pretty much out of the question for the suns.

otherwise we'd have to include KT into the deal, which wouldnt make any sense

Thanks, I thought Magloires contract was to rich for our blood. Disregard my previous post......

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I thought Magloires contract was to rich for our blood. Disregard my previous post......

Hey dreaming is free! :D I wish we could have Bibby as our true backup point guard but that would never happen.

sunsfn

Reaction score
The only one I would be interested in would be Posey.

But, his salary this year is 6.3 mil.

I do not think the Heat want to trade with us to help us make our team better, and certainly not for Banks.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only one I would be interested in would be Posey.

But, his salary this year is 6.3 mil.

I do not think the Heat want to trade with us to help us make our team better, and certainly not for Banks.

They would trade with us before probably anybody in the East. Also, Banks is more suited for their system then ours. If you dangle a pick out there as well, that's pretty hard to turn down.

I agree though that Posey is the only one that interests me too.

HooverDam

Reaction score
^I think a pick is too much to give up for Posey, he'd basically be a rent a player for the Suns.

Banks & Rose for Posey works according to RealGM. As does Banks, Jumaine Jones and Piatkowski for Posey. However, Piatkowski has no value, and I'd rather keep Jumaine then Jalen.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
Banks & Rose for Posey works according to RealGM. As does Banks, Jumaine Jones and Piatkowski for Posey. However, Piatkowski has no value, and I'd rather keep Jumaine then Jalen.

How does Rose & Banks work for Posey? Don't we have Rose for the league minimum ($1M) and Banks for $3.5M? wouldn't that be too little... I admit, I am weak when it comes to this stuff. Please enlighten me.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
There's a 25% fudge factor, or actually 25% plus some small extra amount, $100k I think. So if the Suns ship out Banks ($3.6M) and Rose ($1.5M), they can take back 125% * $5.1M, which is about $6.4M, ignoring the extra amount. And $6.4M is what Posey makes, so there you are.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
There's a 25% fudge factor, or actually 25% plus some small extra amount, $100k I think. So if the Suns ship out Banks ($3.6M) and Rose ($1.5M), they can take back 125% * $5.1M, which is about $6.4M, ignoring the extra amount. And $6.4M is what Posey makes, so there you are.

Thanks... one last question. If there is a 'fudge factor' of 25% in trades, how is the trade exception created?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

You must be registered for see images

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Thanks... one last question. If there is a 'fudge factor' of 25% in trades, how is the trade exception created?

Its created BECAUSE there is a fudge factor. A trade exception is created when there is a difference in the amount of salary going out compared to the amount of salary going out.

If salaries had to match up, a trade exception would never exist.

If you want to learn more about the CBA, go check out larry coon's salary cap FAQ.

Reaction score
Look fellas, i am a die hard suns fan and just moved back to PHX from Sactown where i went to school, and if anyone says again that Brad Miller is a good fit for the suns, then you are absolutely brain dead. After watchin him for the past four years, I have found out that brad miller could care less about winning basketball games...He is slow, cant really shoot that well any more and completely boring!...he simply would not be a good fit so leave his name out when it comes to dealing him to the suns...there is not one single player I would give up for miller...

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
Look fellas, i am a die hard suns fan and just moved back to PHX from Sactown where i went to school, and if anyone says again that Brad Miller is a good fit for the suns, then you are absolutely brain dead. After watchin him for the past four years, I have found out that brad miller could care less about winning basketball games...He is slow, cant really shoot that well any more and completely boring!...he simply would not be a good fit so leave his name out when it comes to dealing him to the suns...there is not one single player I would give up for miller...

Sactown, eh? Were you going to Sac State? UC Davis?

And you're right. Brad Miller is half the player he was 3 years ago. Frankly, I'd rather we go after Nazr Mohammed than Miller.

Last edited:

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
Tammers played soccer at Sac State. And I agree with him on Miller, he sucks. Outside of Bibby I wouldn't want anyone from the Queens anyways.