Nene to stay
Nuggets forward agrees to 6-year, $60 million deal
By Adam Thompson
Denver Post Staff Writer

You must be registered for see images
Nene has career averages of 10.7 points and 6.2 rebounds per game. (AP file)

First the bad news for Nene - the Brazilian soccer team lost in the World Cup on Saturday. But as painful as that might be for any Brazilian, this weekend ended up far more good than bad for the Nuggets' restricted free agent. He got married Saturday and on Sunday OK'd a deal that will net him $60 million over six years to stay with the team that drafted him.
Nene's agent, Dan Fegan praised Denver owner Stan Kroenke, whose decisiveness helped eliminate a bidding war for the 23-year-old forward, who has career averages of 10.7 points and 6.2 rebounds per game.
"What I've learned through this process is I'm convinced Mr. Kroenke is going to do whatever it takes to bring a championship to Denver," Fegan said. "Make no mistake about it."
Between this deal and the extension small forward Carmelo Anthony agreed to Saturday, Kroenke has committed this weekend to spend

approximately $140 million. Denver may be close to keeping a third player in the fold, too. Fegan also represents power forward Reggie Evans, who is a restricted free agent whose name has already been linked to several teams around the league.
"We're making a lot of progress on Reggie and I'm hopeful we'll reach terms," Fegan said.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If Nene can get a 10mil a year contract, I wonder what kind of salary will a guy like Boris Diaw command.

cepstrum

Shqiptar i Qart
Reaction score
carey said:
WoW, that's a huge contract for him.

I agree. This contract is beyond ********. If Nene gets this much who knows how much Diaw will ask for.

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
This signing reminds me of Dalembert last year. Nice player, but $10M/yr? Nene is coming off an injury. And at this point is career has shown he can be a quality complementary player, but hardly a dominant player.

Now they are complaining that Dalembert is overpaid, the question is was he ever worth $10/yr.? I don't think he was ever worth $10/M in his entire career. I think the same could be said about Nene. I think the odds of Denver regretting this signing in 3 years are pretty high.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wonder what players really think of this. They get huge money, but then they are considered an albatros for the rest of their career. They become a "contract to unload" instead of a player.

They probably don't care much. They can count their money everyday, and their probably proud enough to think that they are worth it--just not used properly by the team that they are with.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jay Cardinal said:
This signing reminds me of Dalembert last year. Nice player, but $10M/yr? Nene is coming off an injury. And at this point is career has shown he can be a quality complementary player, but hardly a dominant player.

Now they are complaining that Dalembert is overpaid, the question is was he ever worth $10/yr.? I don't think he was ever worth $10/M in his entire career. I think the same could be said about Nene. I think the odds of Denver regretting this signing in 3 years are pretty high.

These type of signings really ruin the salary structure in the NBA. However, it may leave a lot of good players looking for a home with the Suns. I also keep thinking about Foyle and Dampier getting overpaid.

Let me think would I rather have Nash or Dampier? :)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this makes me feel even more nervous about Boris.

Sheesh - 10 million for Nene?

AmareFan

4DASUNS
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:

and on a bad knee............wow!!!!!!!!!......This league is getting out of control with contracts....and old guys like Dick Bavetta (66 years old) continue to ref games when they cannot keep up....guess they can keep up with guys who have bad knees....can someone say STERN sucks...and he should recognize that his refs need a make over!

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stupid owners throwing huge contracts around like they are nothing. Didn't the Denver Nuggets learn anything from signing Kenyon Martin? He is twice the player Nene will ever be, and now they are trying to unload his contract. His agent just makes me sick with that line about knowing what it takes to be a winner or something like that.

I'd wait until next summer to ink Boris now. There is really no reason to give him a maximum extension this summer, and it's starting to look like that's about what it's going to take.

Joe

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Well, looks like DEN will be one less team to worry about in the next 2 years. Nene will continue to be a middle-of-the-road dog and Melo will be stuck with a roster full of overpaid, underachieving malcontents. What happens next ought to be very amusing/tragic....

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
Stupid owners throwing huge contracts around like they are nothing. Didn't the Denver Nuggets learn anything from signing Kenyon Martin? He is twice the player Nene will ever be, and now they are trying to unload his contract. His agent just makes me sick with that line about knowing what it takes to be a winner or something like that.

I'd wait until next summer to ink Boris now. There is really no reason to give him a maximum extension this summer, and it's starting to look like that's about what it's going to take.

Joe

and the excuses begin...

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:

Joe

The Boris situation is a tricky one. He's defenitely a talented player but will he be as valuable a piece with Amare back in the lineup? I'd hate to see the Suns give him a big contract then find that he just gets in Amare's way. If your name isn't Amare next year then you better be able to rain 3's while the Monster and Nash run the pick and roll.

I'm not sayin that DIaw can't still be an important piece, just that its risky to bank on it.

OP
OP
S

sunsfn

Reaction score
Diaw can play all 5 positions and they better sign him now, not a year from now! He will not get in Amares way, he will get him the ball like he does everyone else.

planaria

Rookie
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:

His contract start around 8 million with some benefit clausules to reach the full amount.

Looks more Troy Murphy contract's than Dalembert's one. It's a kind of "no-option" move to the Nuggets, since teams like Hawks should pay him even more.

Lets see how his knee will work...

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
If they bank on Diaw not putting up good stats and having the ability to match any offer that would pretty much be a repeat of what they did for joe johnson would it not?

why would you do this twice, Seriosuly even the biggest Sarver supporters would kill him for doing it twice.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
and the excuses begin...

you should know me well enough by now cheese to know that I call it like I see it. Please tell me what the upside to signing Boris Diaw to a maximum or near maximum contract extension this summer? You and others keep complaining and complaining, but I don't see you giving any solutions. What would you do differently? When you tell us all I guarantee I'll be able to poke a million holes in your plan.

If everyone who isn't bitching and moaning about everything the Phoenix Suns do is drinking the Kool-Aid, what are you doing? And don't give me any more of this crap about banning you because you can't help it. Don't try to tell me that the Phoenix Suns are going to end up like the Arizona Cardinals. Bill Bidwill would never have purchased the Phoenix Suns for $400 million in the first place. He wouldn't have given $100 million to Steve Nash and Q and another $25 million to a player like Bell. We are talking about an owner who may be trying to avoid a luxury tax... not someone trying to spend well under the salary cap.

Do I think Sarver is the ideal owner? Hell no. However when a lot of you guys compare him to the Bill Bidwill's and Donald Sterling's of the world you are so far off base. One of the things that bothers me about Sarver is his sideline antics. I don't mind that he is enthusiastic, but the yelling at other teams is too much. That said, seems to me that's proof that the guy really cares about winning.

Have some freaking patience.

Joe

OP
OP
S

sunsfn

Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
you should know me well enough by now cheese to know that I call it like I see it. Please tell me what the upside to signing Boris Diaw to a maximum or near maximum contract extension this summer? You and others keep complaining and complaining, but I don't see you giving any solutions. What would you do differently? When you tell us all I guarantee I'll be able to poke a million holes in your plan.

Joe

Joe,

Who said anything about signing Diaw to a maximum or near maximum offer, the only place I have read this is in your post.?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
That said, seems to me that's proof that the guy really cares about winning.

Joe

Or getting attention.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:

If everyone who isn't bitching and moaning about everything the Phoenix Suns do is drinking the Kool-Aid, what are you doing? And don't give me any more of this crap about banning you because you can't help it. Don't try to tell me that the Phoenix Suns are going to end up like the Arizona Cardinals. Bill Bidwill would never have purchased the Phoenix Suns for $400 million in the first place. He wouldn't have given $100 million to Steve Nash and Q and another $25 million to a player like Bell. We are talking about an owner who may be trying to avoid a luxury tax... not someone trying to spend well under the salary cap.

Do I think Sarver is the ideal owner? Hell no. However when a lot of you guys compare him to the Bill Bidwill's and Donald Sterling's of the world you are so far off base. One of the things that bothers me about Sarver is his sideline antics. I don't mind that he is enthusiastic, but the yelling at other teams is too much. That said, seems to me that's proof that the guy really cares about winning.

Joe

Co-signed... of course when sarver does something I don't like I'll probably be as upset as anyone :D

but I'm definitely patient enough to see how things transpire over the whole summer first

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:

Joe

joe - if you're tired of reading what I have to say, ban me - it's really that simple.

As far as Bill Bidwill not giving Steve Nash money, what do you call what he did with Edgerrin James this year? Or what he gave a Raja Bell-like defensive tackle from the Giants this offseason? Or what he gave Bert Berry two years ago and a Q-like signing with David Macklin? Or what he gave Kurt Warner last year and for the next two years?

Now I know someone will probably come on here and COMPLETELY EXAGGERATE what I'm saying and come back with a response like, "So I suppose you think Bidwill is a GREAT OWNER, HUH? Figures coming from a Cardinal fan" or something stupid to that extent. No - that's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is I've seen what cheap owners are like. I have a keen awareness of being able to read the writing on the wall BECAUSE I'm a Cardinal fan and there's a lot of writing on the wall that leads me to believe Sarver is interested in winning, but only to a certain extent and that certain extent is his wallet. Most Suns fan don't know any better and FOR GOOD REASON - we've always had good ownership so how could they know what the tell-tale signs are that an owner is cheap? They wouldn't.

As far as offering Boris a MAX contract - e tu, Joe? IS THERE ANYWHERE THAT I'VE SAID THAT? OR ANYONE ELSE THAT HAS EITHER? No - but hey, keep exaggerating what's going on, it seems to get people in your corner.

All I'm saying is if you're gonna walk the walk and scream at the refs, then talk the talk and open your wallet, even if that means going over the luxury tax. The Suns keep talking about keeping their championship team together - well, I've got news for them - WE AREN'T A CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM YET. Until you are, you better make your team as good as freaking possible and I don't see that happening right now.

If you'll recall, I didn't bitch and moan last summer when we busted the team apart. I thought they made GREAT moves trading Q and the 21st pick for KT and I thought they made a GREAT move getting Raja Bell, but that was under a different GM. A GM who knew what he was doing. Then, Sarver took over with JJ and well, ever since, I haven't had a whole lot of reason to support him. He got bailed out of that deal by BC, and now low-balled another player that I think would have been a valuable piece to the organization, not to mention trading away picks to do it and now you'r etelling me that we're looking at Lindsey Hunter and Eric Piatkoswki to upgrade our team? THAT all wreaks of penny pinching to me. Sorry if that offends anyone.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Renz said:
The Suns this offseason reminds me of the Cardinals a few seasons ago saying, "We're waiting for the June 1st cuts".

believe me Renz - I've been saying the same thing and the reactions on this board are EXACTLY what they've been like during that HORRENDOUS 2003 offseason.

Sarver and DA had a GREAT team built for them, but so far, it's been distressing to see what they've done with it and how they're going to deal in the future at this point.

BUT - it's MUCH more comforting coming off a WCF and having this offseason, rather than coming off the worst season in history with a similar off-season, Holy crap were the Cards TOTALLY clueless before DG. At least now, the Cards win the OFF-SEASON SUPER-BOWL! (yeah, you take small victories when you can get them as a Cards fan).