Nene to the Suns?

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
fordronken said:
All right. Here's an idea if the Bobcats would go for it and Q didn't hang himself from a light post afterward:

Quentin Richardson and #21 for Ely and #13. Gives us a little more financial wiggle room as well.

I suppose it depends on whether he ends up being able to start next year at center/power forward. Then you could grab a player of pretty good quality at 13.

I honestly don't see many teams being interested in Q this summer even if he was on the trading block. His salary isn't bad, but it isn't really great either. I definitely can't see Charlotte wanting him. Q shot around 40% from the field as probably the last player that opposing defenses would focus on. The reason I shoot down most Q trade proposals is that I don't believe the Phoenix Suns will trade him this summer. It's not that I'm so opposed to it. I think he is definitely the most easily replaced player in the Phoenix starting 5.

Joe Mama

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
I wouldn't accept any trade proposal for the starting 5. I would like to see us trade our 1st or 2nd round pick for ELY.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The Clippers drafted Wilcox #8 and Ely # 12 in the 2002 draft.

I thought they had an excellent draft getting those two players.

Even though they passed on Stoudemire at #8? I think it's hard to say that any team between Houston and Phoenix had an excellent draft in 2002.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
JPlay said:
I wouldn't accept any trade proposal for the starting 5.

I agree. This group deserves at least one more year together. Adding another guy to come off the bench and finding a way to integrate Barbosa more into the mix should improve a team that made it all the way to the conference finals. Not to mention Amare's certain improvement.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would probably give up more for Wilcox than I would for Ely. I might give up the second-round pick and Barbosa for Wilcox and future considerations. I would give up a second-rounder and any Suns broadcaster other than Eddie Johnson or Al McCoy for Ely.

LakeShowMan

Registered
Reaction score
devilalum said:
"A trade of Lamar Odom, Chucky Adkins and Devian George for Kevin Garnett would seem to make sense for both teams. The Lakers just got Jackson back as coach and are looking to improve their team. The Twolves coming off a disappointing year are looking to rebuild."

Where in the hell do I sign up for this one?!? Hell I'll even throw in a 1st rounder or 2. :D

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Lamar Odom, Chucky Atkins and Devean George do not equal Kevin Garnett's jock.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
That is almost as bad as this rumor

As recently reported by Hoopsworld.com, the Lakers have agreed to a deal sending Devean George, Slava Medvedenko and the 37th pick to the Indiana Pacers for Jonathan Bender and the 17th pick.

The Lakers are exploring a deal with the Hornets sending Jamaal Magloire and PJ Brown to LA for Caron Butler and ending contracts. Such a deal is not likely to be executed until after June when Magloire's base year compensation status expires.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
The Lakers worry me. You know the League won't sit by and let them struggle for years. They make a lot more money when the Lakers are contenders.

My deepest darkest fear is that Amare will not sign a contract this year, play one more year for the Suns after that and bolt for LA so he can make 100 bazillion dollars on endorsements.

I'm really looking forward to Amare signing that max extension this summer. He's the key to the Suns future. Even Kevin McHale won't be able to distroy this team as long as Amare is here and healthy.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPlay said:
That is almost as bad as this rumor

As recently reported by Hoopsworld.com, the Lakers have agreed to a deal sending Devean George, Slava Medvedenko and the 37th pick to the Indiana Pacers for Jonathan Bender and the 17th pick.

The Lakers are exploring a deal with the Hornets sending Jamaal Magloire and PJ Brown to LA for Caron Butler and ending contracts. Such a deal is not likely to be executed until after June when Magloire's base year compensation status expires.

I heard a couple of radio guys on 710 and 1540 in Los Angeles talking abouyt the Magloire/PJ Deal, but I think it included the Laker's first round pick as well.

That trade doesn't make much sense to me, but Kobe, Odom, Magloire is a pretty decent young *********.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
devilalum said:
The Lakers worry me. You know the League won't sit by and let them struggle for years. They make a lot more money when the Lakers are contenders.

My deepest darkest fear is that Amare will not sign a contract this year, play one more year for the Suns after that and bolt for LA so he can make 100 bazillion dollars on endorsements.

that's my fear also. Hopefully it's completely put to rest this summer when Amare signs that contract extension.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
that's my fear also. Hopefully it's completely put to rest this summer when Amare signs that contract extension.

Once with the Lakers, who will feed Amare the ball? Kobe?

If I'm Amare, I take this route in a New York minute...

Good thing I'm not. Basically Amare plays one more year, then demands a trade... We get some value in return and Amare gets a Max contract along with millions more in endorsements...

Dan H

ASFN Addict
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

Never happen. If Amare doesn't agree to his extension this summer he will be a restricted free agent next offseason - just like Joe Johnson this summer. The Lakers can offer him a contract, but if he accepts the Suns have 14 days to match it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dan H said:
Never happen. If Amare doesn't agree to his extension this summer he will be a restricted free agent next offseason - just like Joe Johnson this summer. The Lakers can offer him a contract, but if he accepts the Suns have 14 days to match it.

I think he means in 2007 - two years from now. That's when the Lakers would sign him. I wouldn't worry about it - unless he forgoes signing his extension. Then it would be the beginning of the time to sweat.

edit: if the above nightmare scenario happened, I would probably stop watching basketball.

Dan H

ASFN Addict
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
I think he means in 2007 - two years from now. That's when the Lakers would sign him. I wouldn't worry about it - unless he forgoes signing his extension. Then it would be the beginning of the time to sweat.

2007, 2008, it still doesn't change the fact that Amare will be a restricted free agent if he doesn't agree to an extension this season. Amare will be in a Suns uni for a long, long time.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dan H said:
2007, 2008, it still doesn't change the fact that Amare will be a restricted free agent if he doesn't agree to an extension this season. Amare will be in a Suns uni for a long, long time.

we're guaranteed to have him for 2 more years - that's it at this point. Believe me - Im sure Orlando Magic fans never really thought they'd lose Shaq. Again - only a reason for concern if he forgoes signing the extension.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Dan H said:

NO.

He can sign a one year deal after next year and become UNRESTRICTED.

This is what Swift did.

JJ could do the same thing if he doesn't get an offer he likes he can force the Suns to give him a one year deal and become unrestricted at the end of the season.

Dan H

ASFN Addict
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
devilalum said:
NO.

He can sign a one year deal after next year and become UNRESTRICTED.

This is what Swift did.

JJ could do the same thing if he doesn't get an offer he likes he can force the Suns to give him a one year deal and become unrestricted at the end of the season.

The only reason Swift signed a one-year deal is because no other teams would touch him and that's all Memphis would offer him. The same thing isn't going to happen with JJ or Amare.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dan H said:
The only reason Swift signed a one-year deal is because no other teams would touch him and that's all Memphis would offer him. The same thing isn't going to happen with JJ or Amare.

huh? No teams signed Swift because Memphis said they'd match. I think it's pretty foolish to think that a team would allow the Suns the opportunity to match for the greatest young big man in the game, rather than waiting a year and letting him become unrestricted.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
The scariest part of this is that if JJ signs a one year tender the Suns can't even trade him if they wanted to.

Same would be true for Amare. If Amare refuses to sign an extension this summer the Suns would have to trade him next season or risk losing him for nothing at the end of the 06/07 season.

Dan H

ASFN Addict
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
You guys are tilting at windmills.

Amare is going to sign a max contract to stay with the Suns. JJ may go elsewhere, but it's not very likely.

I'm more worried about adding depth and rebounding than I am losing any of our guys to free agency.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Dan H said:

The same thing could happen with JJ.
What if JJ doesn't get an offer he thinks is fair because the Suns have been advertising that they'll match any offer. He could get pissed and request a one year deal that the Suns would have to give him.

At that point he can't be traded by the Suns and becomes unrestricted at the end of the season.