New and Improved 2008 Draft Prospects Thread

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monster week for Kevin Love who got pac 10 Player of Week.

26 and 18 boards against Oregon(8-11 from floor) 10 offensive boards.

Followed that with 16 points and 21 boards against OSU. TO be be fair OSU is such a bad shooting team they inflate rebound numbers but 21 in 31 minutes is impressive.

If not for Beasley and Gordon, Love would have National Freshman of the year well in hand.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
*cough* Derrick Rose *cough*

I'd also take Jerryd Bayless and probably Patrick Patterson before Love.

Rose is really good but he's in the same situation Love is joining a really good team, and his numbers aren't as good. He's a better pro prospect than Kevin but in college 14 ppg 4apg 4 rpg probably isn't going to win out over 17, 11 rpg 2 apg near 60% shooting. If Love continues at his current pace I think he's going to finish ahead of Rose. The other problem Rose has is his much publicized matchup with Mayo was very one sided for Mayo.

Patterson his numbers are close but behind Love while playing more minutes. Maybe a better pro prospect because he's more athletic but for a strictly college award I doubt he gets it over Love.

I've been saying all year I think Bayless is better than Mayo, I think Harden is too and 2 years younger. I'd actually give Bayless the award over Rose this year his impact on UA is undeniable. Without him they're not that good, with him a top 20 team easily.

I think Beasley or Gordon will be the national freshman of the year, and I think Beasley is the top pro prospect in this years freshman class, he's absolutely unstoppable.

mathbzh

Registered
Reaction score
A few words about another French Prospect.

Alexis Ajinca was once considered the top 1988 prospect in Europe.
He is very long ( 7'1 with an amazing wingspan listed from 7'6 to 7'9 :shock:), very athletic for his size and is a fairly skilled young player. On the defensive end is length and athletism make him a very intimidating presence altering and blocking a lot of shot. He would be a perfect prospect if he was not so skinny (listed at 210 lbs). This is a real problem because right now he doesn't have the strength to hold his position against most oponent.

This season Ajinca is playing from the HTV (Hyères in France) an average team in the French league. He doesn't play much (an injury at the begining of the season may explain that) but with 4 pts / 3 rbds / 1 blk in just 9 minutes he is rather productive (5th ranking/minute in the french league).
In his last game game, against Le Mans (Batum's team) he showcased what he can bring to a team. In just 15 minutes he changed the face of the game from a blowout to a close 68-69 loss.
In those 15 minutes he had 11 pts (3/5 FG, 5/5 FT), 8 rebonds (3 O, 5 D), 3 blocks for one TO and 2 PF.
He impressed every observers during that games. If he can reproduce such games he should play more minutes very soon.

highlights from this game:

http://www.lnbtv.net/lecture_video.php?video=HtvLeMans.wmv&titre=R%E9sum%E9%2016%E8me%20journ%E9e%20%20-%20Le%20Mans%20bat%20Hy%E8res-Toulon

Ajinca is the the #8 in a yellow jersey (the very long guy with the blocks).

Ajinca was known for his numerous 3s attempt with nice form but poor results. This season he never shot from behind the 3pt line.

If Ajinca can bulk up, he could become a very good player with all the tools for the NBA. If not, he should never play there since any center/PF in the league would completely outmuscled him (Kevin Durant would almost look like D12 next to Ajinca).

I think he could be an interesting late 2nd round pick.

Last edited:

mathbzh

Registered
Reaction score
Last week it was the "Semaine des As" in France ( a competition similar to the Copa del Rey in Spain). For one week, the top 8 teams fight for the first title of the season.

This was the occasion to see a bunch of young French prospects in action in a competition with quiet surprinsing results.

Cholet and his two young prospects won the title.
- Nando De Colo played very well. He averages 19 pts, 6rebs, 4 ast and 2 st in 32 minutes in 3 games and was the leader of a surprising Cholet team. De Colo is a 20 yo 6'5 combo guard with a bright future in the Euroleague. He is a Sharp shooter and a leader on the floor, have well rounded skills and looks very mature. IMO he doesn't have an NBA body but he worth keeping on eye on.
- Reaudrigue Beaubois is the other Cholet prospect. This 20 yo 6'2 prospect doesn't have De Colo experience but has an NBA body he is very athletic, extremely quick and has a huge wingspan. With 12 pts and 3 steals in 12 minutes he had one of his best game so far against Roanne (Euroleague Team) in a first round win. For the 3 games he averages 7 pt 1 ast 1 stl in 15 minutes. He is far from ready but Rodrigue as a very intriguing potential.

No prospect for Vichy the other finalist.

HTV (Hyères Toulon) lost in semis against Vichy.
- Ajinca is the top prospect for HTV. In the first round in a win over Nancy (arguably the best french team). With Masingue (HTV starting C) in foul trouble, Ajinca had 28 minutes to showcase is defensive presence. With 6 pts (3/8), 14 rbds, 7 blks (10 blks according to himself and many fans) and 2 asts, the 7'2 skinny center proved he could soon become a dominant defensive center. If he can add some muscle to his frame there is no doubt he will soon be an NBA player. In the semis 71-72 loss against Vichy Ajinca had 2 pts (1/2), 5 rbds, 1 ast, 1 blk in 11 minutes.

ASVEL lost in the Semis against Cholet. Their only prospect Edwin Jackson, who was dominant at a lower level doesn't seems to adapt to this level of competition and doesn'play much.

Teams with only one loss in the first round:

- No real prospect for Le Havre or Nancy
- In Roanne Marc Antoine Pellin the 5'6 PG had a decent 3pt, 6ast game. After playing great in december Pellin had a step back. His very short size doesn't make him and NBA prospect.
- Le Mans has two prospect:
With 14 pts and 6 rebounds in 33 minutes Batum had is usual production but was unable to carry Le Mans. Batum is still the best French Prospect.
Diot was the best player for Le Mans with 15 pts 5 rbds 2 ast and 3 stls in 18 minutes. This 19 yo 6'4 PG is a born leader and even if he doesn't have elite athletism his body may allow him to play at an NBA level. IMO he should stay in Europe.

Conclusion on the French prospect:
1 top prospect, probably one of the 2-3 with the best potential in the next draft : Batum
1 prospect with amazing potential but also a high bust risk : Ajinca
1 player with all the tools for the NBA but a lot of work to do on his game before he can be considered a legit prospect: Beaubois

2 solid player with high Euroleague potential but probably not athletic enough for the NBA: Diot, De Colo

A bunch of player with nice potential but who should not have an NBA future (Pellin, Jackson, Vaty,...)

IMO Ajinca his a great second round pick (let him grow up in Europe and wait for a couple of year to see if you can offer him a contract).

Last edited:

Ollie

Croissant Eater
Reaction score
I was at that tournament and saw all the games so I'll make my own wrapup (By the way, I spotted Bryan Colangelo, Bernie Bickerstaff and Amadou Fall [Dallas], and it seems a bunch of NBA scouts were there too).

De Colo (PG/SG 6'5") was really impressive, he was fearless and played beyond his age (he's only 20). He's a solid shooter, drives agressively and relentlessly to the hole, has a nice court vision and rebounds well (had 12 rbds for the final game). Solid help defender. Plays like a young Ginobili. He was the clearcut MVP of the tournament.

Beaubois was decent but nothing more. May worth a secound round pick in 2009 or 2010.

Batum is a physical freak with great skills who does everything on the court. He probably will be a top 15 pick this year despite his inconsistency and he's pretty well known now, so I won't elaborate more.

Diot (PG 6'4") is a excellent defender, and a floor general with good intangibles. He's only 18 and mainly plays during garbage time but he's a vocal leader. A work in progress, since there's still flaws in his game (his shooting is inconsistent and ranges from poor to decent).

Ajinça (19 years old) is intringuing, to say the least. Dubbed "too long" because of his freakish look (7'1" 220lbs, he actually needs a nutrionist to GAIN weight), he won't be ready to play NBA ball before 2009.
Incredible weak side blocker, and intimidating defender, he slowly learned how to avoid fouls and therefore gains playing time.
Runs very well for a big man and possess good lateral quickness. For now, his offensive repertoire is limited to putbacks and dunks but he has a decent midrange jumper. Sometimes outmuscled in the paint, he still grabs a lot of rebounds because of his height, his wingspan and his jumps.

mathbzh

Registered
Reaction score
One of Ajinca weakness on defense was his average lateral quickness. Did he improve in that compartiment?

A big question on Ajinca is how he will adapt against player his size (there is almost no player over 6'9 in the French league).

I read that he has added some weight lately (even if it doesn't shows up in the video and pictures I saw) what is your impression about it?

Last edited:

mathbzh

Registered
Reaction score
Batum is a physical freak with great skills who does everything on the court. He probably will be a top 15 pick this year despite his inconsistency and he's pretty well known now, so I won't elaborate more.

Batum is not so inconsistent in the French league, he scored in double digit in 7 of his last 8 games and has a double digits ranking in 15 of his last 16 games. In the Euroleague the story was different but it is not so surprising Le Mans being often completely overmatch in these games (and 8.5 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 2.7 apg in 26 minutes is not bad for a 19 yo player).

Actually it doesn't really matter, I don't think we will reach Batum with Atlanta's pick.

Last edited:

Ollie

Croissant Eater
Reaction score
One of Ajinca weakness on defense was his average lateral quickness. Did he improve in that compartiment?

A big question on Ajinca is how he will adapt against player his size (there is almost no player over 6'9 in the French league).

I read that he has added some weight lately (even if it doesn't shows up in the video and pictures I saw) what is your impression about it?
I think he added something like 10lbs of muscle in the upper body since the beginning of the season.
That's not much, but he's monitored closely to avoid messing with his speed and stamina. He needs to increase his lower body strength, though.

His lateral quickness is decent for a big man, but he's so long (he's 7'1"close to 7'2" with a 7'8" wingspan and the man can jump) that it doesn't really matter (as long as he doesn't guard a pg/sg). Sometimes he "swallows" his opponent, luring him into the paint before blocking him.
Batum is not so inconsistent in the French league, he scored in double digit in 7 of his last 8 games and has a double digits ranking in 15 of his last 16 games. In the Euroleague the story was different but it is not so surprising Le Mans being often completely overmatched in these games (and 8.5 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 2.7 apg in 26 minutes is not bad for a 19 yo player).
Actually it doesn't really matter, I don't think we will reach Batum with Atlanta's pick.
Yeah, Batum thrives in the french league and he started to get some consistency since december. In the other hand, I saw him crap the bed against HTV 3 weeks ago, being passive and all.

That's my biggest knack with him, he should carry his team (especially in Euroleague) and sometimes he doesn't deliver enough, given his physical gifts.

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Bayless 39 for UofA against Arizona btw, although it was a loss. I'll take him with Atlantas pick between 10 and 15 in a heartbeat. He is the heart and soul of the wildcats.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bayless 39 for UofA against Arizona btw, although it was a loss. I'll take him with Atlantas pick between 10 and 15 in a heartbeat. He is the heart and soul of the wildcats.

Pretty amazing, in that game UA had 15 baskets in the entire game. Bayless made 12, and assisted on the other 3!

:shock:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
The draft will be deep.

OJ Mayo is also much better than what he is getting credit for right now.

Derrick Rose, Eric Gordon, OJ Mayo, Jerryd Bayless, Bill Walker, Nicolas Batum thats 6 guards I'd happily take in the lottery.

Then you throw in Beasley, Donte Green, Andre Jordan, Buddinger, Lopez, Hibbert, Thabeet, Patterson, Love, Galliarni, Arthur, Koufos, Lawson, Augustin...

That is going to be one heck of a draft.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The draft will be deep.

Derrick Rose, Eric Gordon, OJ Mayo, Jerryd Bayless, Bill Walker, Nicolas Batum thats 6 guards I'd happily take in the lottery.

Then you throw in Beasley, Donte Green, Andre Jordan, Buddinger, Lopez, Hibbert, Thabeet, Patterson, Love, Galliarni, Arthur, Koufos, Lawson, Augustin...

though i was excited to see budinger develop this year i think it's been just the opposite. he's been exposed. he's a LATE first round selection at present AT BEST. he doesn't really show much heart or intensity.

bayless is the real deal. though not a pg, he's a potential scoring machine and a pretty good defender. bill walker intrigues me as well. i see him as a stackhouse type (if we draft him we just gotta play teams with barbosa types). thabeet has really improved this year as well. i could see him having a dikembe mutumbo type impact on a team. and despite the fact that i am a diehard hoya, i remain down on hibbert's chances at the next level. i just don't think he's an nba stud.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I am not high on all these 7' either and with Shaq on the roster there is more of a need for a small forward or shooting guard anyway but we all know that some teams will be dying for size and reach in the lottery for these 7 footers.

If someone told you a year ago that we could get OJ Mayo with a pick in the 9-10 range..^^

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
though i was excited to see budinger develop this year i think it's been just the opposite. he's been exposed. he's a LATE first round selection at present AT BEST. he doesn't really show much heart or intensity.

bayless is the real deal. though not a pg, he's a potential scoring machine and a pretty good defender. bill walker intrigues me as well. i see him as a stackhouse type (if we draft him we just gotta play teams with barbosa types). thabeet has really improved this year as well. i could see him having a dikembe mutumbo type impact on a team. and despite the fact that i am a diehard hoya, i remain down on hibbert's chances at the next level. i just don't think he's an nba stud.

Agreed on Walker I wouldn't call him a guard right now. Walker's season turned around when K State moved him to PF. They're basically starting 3 guards and Beasley and Walker with Beasley acting as the C and Walker the PF. Walker is really doing well because he's just too quick and athletic for 4's to matchup with. His outside shot is improved but he's still shooting 44% overall and 33 from 3, I don't know that he'll ever be a good shooter but he does have a lot of Stackhouse in is game.

Budinger I agree he just doesn't bring it, he plays too soft the talent is there but he seems to lack something.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The draft will be deep.

Mayo is really good I think the problem is everyone thought he was a PG and he has not shown that at USC, 3 APG, 3.7 TO. Even with the system they run that has lots of clearouts and reduces the assist numbers his ratio is really bad. Hackett appears to be out for the year so Mayo is going to play more PG, Angelo Johnson figures to start, when he's out Mayo will run the point. So he'll get a chance now to prove he can play PG but so far he looks like a SG. 44% overall 37% on 3's. He does see a lot of defenses designed to stop him he's pretty routinely seeing doubles. He's a terrific scorer and his defense is much better than advertised, and he's been under control he hasn't had any temper outbursts or problems like that on the court like he did in HS.

I still think Augustin is the best PG in the country but he'ss in a bit of a slump, and Rose is so athletic he'll probably go ahead of DJ.

Should be a loaded draft, Beasley IMHO is the best player but you still worry about him he's such an immature kid.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Walker is an incredible athlete, very strong, explosive, good leaper, loves to bang but he is very unpolished now. He remindsd me of a bigger version of Bonzi Wells.

Mayo has everything to once become an NBA-star but still seems to be surprised over and over again that a quick 1st step or a nice crossover or a good drive isn't always enough to score. He just didn't realize yet that NCAA isn't highschool anymore.

Right now it would be a bad move from him to declare. With some maturation and experience he could easily become a top3 pick next year.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
D.J augustine broke out of his slump last with 27 points and 9 assists

I wonder if Damion James is going to come out this year...a combo SG/SF that can really rebound the ball.

mathbzh

Registered
Reaction score
This weekend Batum had his best game in the French league in a OT win over Le Havre.
21 pts (9/15, 1/4 3pt, 2/3 FT) 12 rbds (7O, 5D) 3 ast, 3 blk, 3 stl.
This game comes after a 4 games slump for Batum.

His young teammate Diot, the other Le Mans prospect, also had a good game (9 pts/4 asts). Next season he should play a major role in Le Mans.

Other French prospects:
- De Colo continues his talent showcase (21 pts 7 ast in 38 minutes in a win over HTB).
- His teammate Beaubois (NBA body without much experience) is earning more and more playing time and uses it very well (9 pts/4asts in 22 minutes).

- Alexis Ajinca is very inconsistent and can't reproduce his impressive defensive production all the time. 3 rbd 1 blk in 11 minutes.

- Ludovic Vaty (PF playing C in the french league) has lost playing time (new players in the roster) but is productive (6 pts 4 rbds in 14 minutes).

-Pellin is still a solid starter for Roanne (0 pt / 9 ast).

- MBaye (6'3 SG) has playing time for Dijon (4 pt, 2 ast in 20 minutes). This season he averages 9 pt/2 ast in 24 minutes despite being rather inconsistent.

- The last one plays in the second league and is a leader for Nanterre.
Moerman is an undersized PF (6'8) with good athletism (average for the NBA) and solid fundamentals. This season he average 16 pts (55%, 30 3pt%) /8rbds/1 blk in 28 minutes. He will probably never make it to the NBA but should soon been an interesting Euroleague player.

Future NBA starter: Batum,
Could play in the NBA: Ajinca and Beaubois
Future strong Euroleague player: De Colo, Diot, Pellin, Moerman. In the good situation De Colo and Diot may play in the NBA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05