New and Improved 2008 Draft Prospects Thread

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Walker is an incredible athlete, very strong, explosive, good leaper, loves to bang but he is very unpolished now. He remindsd me of a bigger version of Bonzi Wells.

Mayo has everything to once become an NBA-star but still seems to be surprised over and over again that a quick 1st step or a nice crossover or a good drive isn't always enough to score. He just didn't realize yet that NCAA isn't highschool anymore.

Right now it would be a bad move from him to declare. With some maturation and experience he could easily become a top3 pick next year.

Walker is playing PF at K State there's no way NBA teams project him as a 4 so he's got to continue to show a better outside shot and handle the ball better. He's improved but his season turned when K State moved him from the wing to PF and that has to concern NBA scouts if he couldn't excel on the wing in college can he in the NBA?

Agree on Mayo, in HS he was essentially playing on all star teams he always had guys like Walker or Patterson around him so it was like a layup drill if you beat your man you scored. Now in college he's in a situation where if he beats his man he's often got 1-2 guys waiting for him and he's not dealing with that very well. I didn't see the UCLA game but from what I've read many of his 10 turnovers were a direct result of simply not reading the defense and thinking he had a play that wasn't there. He's not a PG yet, I've always compared him to Billups who came into the NBA as a tweener and took several years to become a PG. I'm just not convinced yet that mayo is going to make it as a PG like Billups did, I think his future is at SG. Mayo can pass the ball but I don't see him as a guy who runs the offense I see him as a guy who is looking to score first.

I agree he SHOULD stay, but he won't. He's a good student at USC but you won't find a soul at USC who actually thinks Mayo will come back.

Beasley continues to impress that kid is a special talent.

JoRain

Registered
Reaction score
Talking about European draft prospects - last night I was watching croatian center Ante Tomic (7'2" according to draftexpress) live. His team KK Zagreb was taking on Barons Riga (my team :) ) in FIBA champions cup for place in final 4. It was a best of 3 series and it was deciding game. This guy is listed in mocks for next year (2009 - late first rounder according to draftexpress, second rounder according to nbadraft.net), however, considering he is 21, its not out of the question he will come out.

Though he scored the most points for his team (20 and got 7 rebounds), his team lost. Watching him I didn't get the impression he is an NBA prospect. This guy is really tall, really could be 7'2", but he looked as thin as a needle. Tomic was run over by a 6'1" guard, like he wasn't even there. Barons was basically playing the Suns way, in the meening that for most part as a center was playing 6'9" combo forward. He didn't had much problem scoring over Tomic. He wasn't really able to stop anybody. To be fair though no player in both teams played particulary good defence that game. Tomic scored most of his points after pick and roll situations showing a nice foot work and mid range jumpers. He has goods range on his jump shot and can really move well in paint. Running a brake however is not his thing.
When recieving ball in the low post, he was stripped by a weak side help defender couple of times. Though he got 7 rebounds, he wasn't that good at the boards at all. At least 3 of those boards came after missed free throws by Barons. I could really box out, and also picked several cheap calls under the basket. I guess he just lacks strength.
On the bright side, in comparison to most of his teammates, he wasn't trying to pull Manu at every opportunity, however joined his teammates in whining competition to the refs.

Didn't see first two games in person, but I can tell than in First game of that series Tomic was non existant with 8 points and in second game which Zagreb won he had 16 (8 boards). Also there was a talk about Zagreb players talking trash and threatening other team to cause injuries - which I thought was not cool. There was offitial petition to FIBA about this as well.

Anyway - all in all didn't had a good impression about this guy. He is long, moves well, has good hands and can make a mid range jumper. On the other hand, he is soft, not very strong, and didn't seem very athletic as well.
He can become good player for Europe, but NBA... don't think so.

P.S. If anyone is interested, you can see a fragments of that game here - http://esports.lv/basketbols/eirokausi/video/05032008_1723_kristaps_drikis_barons_lmt_pret_zagr

Tomic has jersey number 6

Last edited:

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
Do you think Kenny George will be drafted? He is the tallest player to ever play in the NCAA. He plays for UNC Asheville. He is averaging 12 points a game and 7 rebounds.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Do you think Kenny George will be drafted? He is the tallest player to ever play in the NCAA. He plays for UNC Asheville. He is averaging 12 points a game and 7 rebounds.

he's slower than gheorge muresan, which says a lot.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
he's slower than gheorge muresan, which says a lot.

Biola had this guy in the 80's named George Bell that was 7'8", Kenny George reminds me a lot of him. Glacially slow but can dunk without jumping.

typically guys that big with that body type have so many injury issues that NBA teams don't take the risk.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
DJ Augustine is RIDICULOUS...

Watching this Big-12 Championship.... He is so fast, can shoot, and has had two or 3 amazing passes thus far....

BTW... This game is awesome!

sunsbo

Veteran
Reaction score
DJ Augustine is RIDICULOUS...

Watching this Big-12 Championship.... He is so fast, can shoot, and has had two or 3 amazing passes thus far....

BTW... This game is awesome!

If the Atlanta pick becomes a lottery pick I hope he is still on the board when the Suns pick

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It looks like the Hawks pick will be #15. So who would be a good pick there?

Do we have any 2nd round picks this season?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what do people think of Stephen Curry now? I know he's skinny and a tweener SG in a PG's body but that kid has to have some chance at helping an NBA team the way he can shoot it?

70 in 2 NCAA games, 55 in the second halves. He's got a real feel for the game and a very quick release.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything on OJ Mayo Bill Walker or Michael Beasley going pro?

They're all saying the same things to the media we're not thinking about it yet we're going to talk it over etc. Realistically Walker is the only one who might come back and he's openly said before he's gone as soon as he can.

Supposedly Mayo played the K State game wearing NBA logo socks which is a NCAA uniform violation and was apparently some sort of message about his intentions but I haven't seen it confirmed or even seen a picture that proves he did it.

Beasley would be a shocker he's the best player of the 3 and by far the worst student. He's starting to remind me a bit of McGinnis except a better shooting touch? You just don't see guys that big that have as quick a 2nd and 3rd jump as he does.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stephen Curry announced yesterday he was staying in school.

HooverDam

Reaction score
It looks like the Hawks pick will be #15. So who would be a good pick there?

Do we have any 2nd round picks this season?

Its way too early to say where the Hawks pick will be, or who will be on the board at any given pick outside of the top few.

Phoenix has its own 2nd rounder, which will be late in the 2nd round.

Stanfords Lopez twins have announced they're going pro. Obviously, Brooke is a lottery pick, but I don't know about Robin. NBADraft has him going in the top 20 which seems like a huge reach to me. Id like him as a 2nd round pick, but he hasn't really proved anything on his own yet. I wonder if he feared staying in school next year and being exposed w/ out his brother, and thus really falling in the draft.

I asked this in another thread, but I don't think it ever got answered: Has anyone seen Danilo Gallinari play? I haven't, but the YouTube clips and scouting reports online sound quite nice. Sounds like he's projected to be going around 10 or so, so if the Hawks don't end up in the lottery, there's probably no chance of getting him. He's a SF, and thats certainly a position the Suns need for the future (along w/ Center and PG) now that Marions gone, so perhaps he'd be a good pick up.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stanfords Lopez twins have announced they're going pro. Obviously, Brooke is a lottery pick, but I don't know about Robin. NBADraft has him going in the top 20 which seems like a huge reach to me. Id like him as a 2nd round pick, but he hasn't really proved anything on his own yet. I wonder if he feared staying in school next year and being exposed w/ out his brother, and thus really falling in the draft.

That's precisely what his hippie mom said in the announcement they were afraid Robin would be double and triple teamed if he stayed. Gee you mean like Love, Hansbrough, hibbert etc? Robin improved a lot this year but he still has a low release on jumper, has terrible footwork(walks constantly) and he's a much better defender than offensive player. He improved quite a bit but yeah he benefits a lot from playing with Brook. He only put up 11 PPG when Brook was out with grades at the beginning of the year.

He is a legit 7 footer though but he lacks the meanstreak Brook has.

ianzym

Reaction score
I hope the Suns don't touch any European players in this draft. Looking at past drafts when they draft a Euro it just doesn't pan out. A guy I like a lot but most likely wont fit in a Suns system is Joey Dorsey from Memphis, he is a tough player and could add inside aggression like Shaq does in that players won't be smiling when they drive into the paint for a layup against the Suns

Phade

Registered
Reaction score
i watched amare play all through highschool and he could barely handle the ball. its damn near amazing what the suns have turned him into..

with that being said i say they get someone with crazy athleticism..

LV-Suns

Go Suns
Reaction score
i watched amare play all through highschool and he could barely handle the ball. its damn near amazing what the suns have turned him into..

with that being said i say they get someone with crazy athleticism..

Amare had crazy work ethic.

With great athleticism, we could also end up with an other Stromile Swift.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 interesting bigs have declared. Anthony Randolph from LSU is in with an agent he's 6'11", skinny but very athletic.

DeAndre Jordan from A&M declared with no agent, 7 footer and might be more athletic than Randolph. Very raw offensive game but upside is pretty impressive. Im' betting he stays in the draft.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
2 interesting bigs have declared. Anthony Randolph from LSU is in with an agent he's 6'11", skinny but very athletic.

DeAndre Jordan from A&M declared with no agent, 7 footer and might be more athletic than Randolph. Very raw offensive game but upside is pretty impressive. Im' betting he stays in the draft.

both have considerable upside. randolph has some skills also. dantoni would be more prone to pursue randolph, i think than jordan, but i like 'em both. randolph reminds me a bit of andre blatch.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
DeAndre just seems to have such a huge risk-reward ratio. Risky imo.

Randolph seems promising.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In a shocking development OJ Mayo announced he will turn pro and hire an agent. The shock is that he has to hire an agent I guess "advisor" Rodney Guillory doesn't count.

I hear conflicting reports on UCLA's Westbrook the LA Times people insist they have sources that say he's filing probably without an agent,. Meanwhile UCLA fans who know his father insist the father is saying Westbrook is staying one more year. So who knows.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 more names from Alabama expected with no agent. F Richard Hendrix a really nice big player maybe a bit overweight though.

And PG Ronald Steele who missed last season after 3 knee surgeries, he says he's healthy now and won't hire an agent. His brother Andrew is an incoming freshman at Alabama.

Right now neither is projected into the first round Steele because of the knee, Hendrix is seen as a bit undersized to play PF.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI the Nike hoop summit game is tomorrow on FSN, 1pm pacific apparently.

US roster is Aminu, Jerime Anderson, Ed Davis, Demar Derozan, Tyreke Evans, Drew Gordon, Jrue Holiday, Scotty Hopson, Malcolm Lee, Greg Monroe. Anderson, Lee, Holiday and Gordon are all going to UCLA next year !

The World roster includes a few guys mentioned here before including Ajinca and Serge Ibaka, 5 guys 6'10" or taller (US's tallest player is 6'9"). From the blog on Portland live the most impressive players on the world roster are Ajinca and Canadian Guard Devoe Joseph (going to Minnesota next year).

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ajinca was impressive although like all the bigs on the World roster his next blockout will be his first. Drew Gordon got 4-5 buckets Saturday by just going to the rim and dunking missed shots due to lack of blockouts.

Ajinca is very good though he can block shots, change shots, has decent hands, is athletic, with coaching he can be a pretty intriguing prospect. Wasn't too impressed with the others, Ibaka is athletic but very raw. Joseph was touted but didn't play well, he has talent and it's tough in a game like that where you don't know anybody and many of them don't speak your language.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05