NFL loses $4.7 BILLION Sunday Ticket Lawsuit

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

A jury in Los Angeles sided against the NFL on Thursday in the Sunday Ticket trial that could cost the league billions. The verdict was delivered in U.S. District Court in the Central District of California.

The league has been ordered to pay $96 million to bars that said they were overcharged for Sunday Ticket, and $4.7 billion to fans who paid for the streaming package, according to legal reporter Meghann Cuniff. Under federal antitrust law, those damages are tripled, bringing the total to more than $14 billion.

The league said in a statement that it will “certainly” appeal the verdict, calling the suit “baseless and without merit.” The case could eventually end up at the U.S. Supreme Court.

“It’s a great verdict for the consumers of America,” the lawyer for the plaintiffs said after the verdict. The lawyer, Bill Carmody, said the jury successfully ignored “the star power of the defendants.” Along with commissioner Roger Goodell, NFL owners like Jerry Jones testified in the trial.

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
Don't count on getting a large settlement. The state of Arizona sued Cox over illegal fees. Arizona took 75% of the settlement. I received about $15, which did not cover even one month of the illegal fees. The little guy rarely receives anything.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Don't count on getting a large settlement. The state of Arizona sued Cox over illegal fees. Arizona took 75% of the settlement. I received about $15, which did not cover even one month of the illegal fees. The little guy rarely receives anything.
Class actions are the biggest scam in America.. the only people who win are the lawyers.
My company cheated me out of 15k in OT...I got 94 bucks from the class action suit.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Class actions are the biggest scam in America.. the only people who win are the lawyers.
My company cheated me out of 15k in OT...I got 94 bucks from the class action suit.
How is that possible?

Company I worked for in college cheated us out of OT. Department of labor intervened, and we all got 100% of the OT owed times three

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If this plays out and the NFL loses, we may be able to get cheaper, more parsed out Sunday Ticket packages. $50 a year for one team? Maybe. $90 to watch every game of two teams? This may now be possible. The NFL was just found to be artificially keeping Sunday Ticket prices high and not allowing lower cost packages to be sold. This will get very interesting.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
How is that possible?

Company I worked for in college cheated us out of OT. Department of labor intervened, and we all got 100% of the OT owed times three
That's happened to me at 2 different companies. Got everything, plus some, that we were originally owed.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
How is that possible?

because in Cali the labor board rarely steps in. they tell you to get a lawyer and sue. then the suit goes class action, and the employees get screwed.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Serious question. How much will each Sunday Ticket customer receive?
You won’t see that number in the short term. My guess the NFL will settle instead of appealing the outcome then the amount will be determined and how to receive the individual customer amount. I would imagine the award will be larger amounts for the sports bars.

Last edited:

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I saw during the trial that ESPN had proposed a $75 or so "home-town team" package where you would get all of 1 team's games -- but the NFL shot it down

man would i be all over that -- and i live in Phoenix -- but at least 1 or 2 times a year i am travelling during a football Sunday

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw during the trial that ESPN had proposed a $75 or so "home-town team" package where you would get all of 1 team's games -- but the NFL shot it down

man would i be all over that -- and i live in Phoenix -- but at least 1 or 2 times a year i am travelling during a football Sunday
That would be crazy. Typically since you don't get to watch your home town team as part of the package right? You have to watch it on local TV.
(or am I remembering an old rule)

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
That would be crazy. Typically since you don't get to watch your home town team as part of the package right? You have to watch it on local TV.
(or am I remembering an old rule)
I think the Home Town Team package was going to be an offering for those who no longer live in their home town.

I would buy the ticket for 75 bucks just to get Cardinals games and no others.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Home Town Team package was going to be an offering for those who no longer live in their home town.
I see. I mean I no longer live in the Phoenix area and I am in Colorado. I would absolutely jump at the chance to get the Cards game for $75. But this is exactly what Sunday Ticket is for. I don't see why the NFL would change that policy.
I would buy the ticket for 75 bucks just to get Cardinals games and no others.
Now this would be interesting, if they region locked it to where you had to be in the Phoenix area to watch it. Even then you can get around it via VPN.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I see. I mean I no longer live in the Phoenix area and I am in Colorado. I would absolutely jump at the chance to get the Cards game for $75. But this is exactly what Sunday Ticket is for. I don't see why the NFL would change that policy.

Now this would be interesting, if they region locked it to where you had to be in the Phoenix area to watch it. Even then you can get around it via VPN.
My uncle was a die hard Raiders fan but he lived in AZ... he had a buddy in norcal, and they both had Dish network. So he paid his buddy 60 bucks a year to get an additional Dish box and mail it to him. The serial number on the box was tied to the norcal zip code... then every sunday he would sit in his guest room and watch the Raiders on the Oakland local channels.
But providers these days are getting much better at pinging your location and the nfl leads the way with that. I couldnt fool nfl+, espn, or even yahoo sports with the VPN I was using. some of them just flat out wont operate if you are using a vpn

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My uncle was a die hard Raiders fan but he lived in AZ... he had a buddy in norcal, and they both had Dish network. So he paid his buddy 60 bucks a year to get an additional Dish box and mail it to him. The serial number on the box was tied to the norcal zip code... then every sunday he would sit in his guest room and watch the Raiders on the Oakland local channels.
But providers these days are getting much better at pinging your location and the nfl leads the way with that. I couldnt fool nfl+, espn, or even yahoo sports with the VPN I was using. some of them just flat out wont operate if you are using a vpn
It's because they ping your location, down to the zip code. Once someone creates a VPN that can mimic every zip code in the US, it would become foolproof (until they enhance the technology)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It just sucks beyond words that the NFL charges 450 bucks for this when the NBA let’s fans pay 100 bucks for access to one individual team as part of their League Pass. I would absolutely buy it for 100 bucks just for the Cardinals.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It just sucks beyond words that the NFL charges 450 bucks for this when the NBA let’s fans pay 100 bucks for access to one individual team as part of their League Pass. I would absolutely buy it for 100 bucks just for the Cardinals.
It would be awesome if they broke it down like:

$100 - One team only
$200 - Teams in your division of choice
$450 - All of the NFL, not region locked

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ryderckarm