Two Long Snappers, Two Stories, One Spot With Cardinals

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's a whole lot of maybes against one maybe. Sure, maybe you lose 10 yards and loss of down only, but that's pretty rare with a horrible snap, and even then, it's usually pretty bad (lose 10 yards and downs while punting inside your own 20, for instance). You also very conveniently forget loss of points on FG/XP snaps. Direct points.

Ok, all those things too. Are you seriously arguing that if a LS messes up it's worse than the starting LG messing up?

The number of ways a LG has to not mess up is infinitely harder and the outcomes infinitely worse, and he has to do it for 9x as many snaps.

A LS just has to get one right that he has practiced 20,000 times, with nobody else affecting the outcome. A LG has to pass protect against dozens of difference moves and styles rusher, he has to move and block in space, he has to execute hundreds of different plays to perfection or the play breaks down. And if he messes up someone else can get hurt, including the QB, and there are dozens of negative play outcomes.

This isn't remotely a close run thing. I feel like you're arguing with me just to defend an obviously wrong position you took. Yes, outcomes from bad snappers are bad, but they are the least bad outcomes from any position on a team.

I mean, the best guards in the league get paid $20m and the best LS gets paid $1.6m, and you are arguing with me the LS more critical. Jeez.

Last edited:

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
A few more:

Joni Mitchell
Anne Murray
Céline Dion
Sarah McLachlan
K.D. Lang
Alanis Morissette
Avril Lavigne
Nelly Furtado
Alessia Cara
Carly Rae Jepsen
Lara Fabian
Neil Young
Leonard Cohen
Gordon Lightfoot
Drake
The Weeknd
Justin Bieber
The Band
Rush
April Wine
The Guess Who
Bachman-Turner OverDrive
Steppenwolf
Barenaked Ladies
Cowboy Junkies
Arcade Fire
LoverBoy
The Tragically Hip
Oscar Peterson (Montreal native) >>>>>> everyone on that list:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You have chosen a very strange hill to die on.

This board man.

You chose the hill.

I said the long snappers are the least important position on the team, which is an absolute indisputable fact, that was supposed to be it. You (and others) chose to turn it into a multi post argument culminating in the ridiculous claim that if they screw up the one thing they do it's worse than a guard screwing up.

Long snappers are the least important position on a roster. They have one job. They barely play any snaps, and they are vastly overpaid. End of story.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
This board man.

You chose the hill.

I said the long snappers are the least important position on the team, which is an absolute indisputable fact, that was supposed to be it. You (and others) chose to turn it into a multi post argument culminating in the ridiculous claim that if they screw up the one thing they do it's worse than a guard screwing up.

Long snappers are the least important position on a roster. They have one job. They barely play any snaps, and they are vastly overpaid. End of story.
I dont think this means what you think it means.

what about the holder?
I mean, kickers have their favorites. But many times we have seen a holder swapped out mid game and the kicks still go through...dude just needs to have "some" experience at holding to be able to do it in a game.

obviously the holder is far less important than the long snapper....and he doesnt even get paid to be the holder...its just something he does on top of his regular job as punter, or...backup 3rd string gunner or whatever...ever seen a team sign a "Holder" to a contract?

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Oscar Peterson (Montreal native) >>>>>> everyone on that list:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Absolutely.

There's a full-size statue of Oscar at the piano outside the National Arts Centre in downtown Ottawa.

It plays his famous jazz recordings 24 hours a day, in all weather, for passers-by.

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
I saw a show where a LS would just drive the football into a tree trunk in his backyard to practice. It's a competitive field, with a lot of competition out there. Lotta guys off the couch cranking footballs into trees in their backyards.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
A few more:

Joni Mitchell
Anne Murray
Céline Dion
Sarah McLachlan
K.D. Lang
Alanis Morissette
Avril Lavigne
Nelly Furtado
Alessia Cara
Carly Rae Jepsen
Lara Fabian
Neil Young
Leonard Cohen
Gordon Lightfoot
Drake
The Weeknd
Justin Bieber
The Band
Rush
April Wine
The Guess Who
Bachman-Turner OverDrive
Steppenwolf
Barenaked Ladies
Cowboy Junkies
Arcade Fire
LoverBoy
The Tragically Hip
What about triumph

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I dont think this means what you think it means.

what about the holder?
I mean, kickers have their favorites. But many times we have seen a holder swapped out mid game and the kicks still go through...dude just needs to have "some" experience at holding to be able to do it in a game.

obviously the holder is far less important than the long snapper....and he doesnt even get paid to be the holder...its just something he does on top of his regular job as punter, or...backup 3rd string gunner or whatever...ever seen a team sign a "Holder" to a contract?

Oh no, I know what it means and I know it's accurate.

The reason I know without a shadow of a doubt that it's an indisputable fact that long snappers are the least important player on a team is because they are the lowest paid players on a team. The free market of the NFL has decided that they are the least important and pay them accordingly.

And it's not even close. LS average is $1,069,016.

Next closest is punter at $1,520,940.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

The reason I know without a shadow of a doubt that it's an indisputable fact that long snappers are the least important player on a team is because they are the lowest paid players on a team. The free market of the NFL has decided that they are the least important and pay them accordingly.

:bang:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

how much did the free market determine a Holder is worth??

A Holder is in fact a position on a football team sir.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ryderckarm