Offense and O-line analysis - week 8

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Posted my review some weeks back and I intented to do a weekly analysis. Didn't go that way. Last couple of weeks had been a shitshow on the personal front with water damage and moving the family around temp airbnbs before we could finally move back on friday.

In my week 3 review I questioned the scheme and focus on the short and intermediate passing game. It seemed that when a teams takes the run game away, then the mitigation was to force the ball deep and abandon the heavy personal too early. Didn't like it. Didn't understand it.

SCHEME
This game was Petzing's answer to my questions. This was a well executed gameplan.

First of all, some general observations.

It's clear that the hot and cold games from MHJ has been discussed. It's been reported that there was an emphasis from Kyler to work with MHJ and clearly the wanted to get MHJ in rhytme with some early designed plays to him. There is a clear shift from outside routes to crossing routes where MHJ becomes part of route designs Rather than being on an Island drawing double coverage. This way opens up more space for everyone

The O-line is playing well. Very well considering there are 2 back-ups in there. Why are we not seeing a bigger negative impact? Hjalte Froholdt. Blocking scheme has been adjusted and where we earlier and last year saw Froholdt in a lot of pulls, he's staying much more at home. You can argue that that is taking away Froholdt's strength, but it stabilizes the line in general and Froholdt is ask to do the key blocks inside that HErnandez earlier did, but Colon/Adams are not asked to do. Pulls are far less frequent and almost only by the Gs.

This team wears down opponents. Whether is discipline, Conditioning or just pure team effort I do not know, but this teams and the run game gets better as the game goes on. Saw it last week. Saw it this week.

The development of Tip Reiman. He started as the 12 TE due to being better blocking than Higgins. Reiman is getting better and better week by week. He is a monster blocker and taking more and more snaps from Higgins. On top of that Reiman is getting more and more used in the passing game. This certainly doesn't show up in the stats. But if you look at the game, you'll see Reiman in a lot pass-blocking and 1 yard outs. This is actually locking the defense, because there is a clearly focus on having coverage on Reiman.

Reiman the X-factor... So why are defenses respecting Raiman so much even when he starts in pass-pro? Is it his awesome skillset as a receiver? Nope. It's again about the blocking IMO. Defenses respect him, because Reiman is the leadblocker on most runs by Kyler and has absolutely killed everything on those runs. It's quite impressive when you look at the game how much attention Reiman actually gets. That enables the intermediate route trees that McBride and MHJ benefits from.

O-line
The O-line plays at a very solid level.
Stars of the show are PJJ and Froholdt, but Brown is having a sneaky good season. I miss the big pull plays, where Froholdt and Hernandez were blowing up holes for Conner, but gameplan is more conservative now and the stability of these 3 is very high. Froholdt in the conservative role is not fantastic, but he never makes a bad play.

Beachum is better in pass-pro than run-blocking which most likely also has influenced the scheme.

The interesting part to follow is Colon vs. Adams and how Petzing is subbing them drive for drive. Both are playing well. Adams is a monster in the run-game (again highest run block grade on the team), but struggles more in the pass-pro. He did clean up his pass-pro this week and I only saw 1 horrible play vs. 4-5 last week. Colon is the more stable player, but Adams has more upside. I expect Adams will be the full time starter after the bye.

Attachments

• Skærmbillede 2024-10-28 kl. 23.51.57.png
    Skærmbillede 2024-10-28 kl. 23.51.57.png
    950.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Skærmbillede 2024-10-29 kl. 00.04.57.png
    Skærmbillede 2024-10-29 kl. 00.04.57.png
    441.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Skærmbillede 2024-10-29 kl. 00.05.13.png
    Skærmbillede 2024-10-29 kl. 00.05.13.png
    765.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Big boy blocking, with Adams leading the way. If they can teach him pass pro, he'll be a good starter.

Also - excellent blocking by all 3 TE's on this play!

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Big boy blocking, with Adams leading the way. If they can teach him pass pro, he'll be a good starter.

Also - excellent blocking by all 3 TE's on this play!
Yeah great pull and block from Adams. Higgins had a nice block as well

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Thanks for including Tip on your analysis.
Missing two starters on the OL and still performing well is a tribute to coaching and Monti having some capable backups available.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan