Official 2008 NFL Draft Thread

HooverDam

Reaction score
I still would've preferred a trade down to around 20, but that sort of thing may not have been available. DRC is a good pick because I think this draft is deep in running backs, so AZ can grab one in the 2nd round.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cardinals should take Rice from Rutgers in the 2nd round.

Brewster10

Registered
Reaction score
Bad pick.. the value was Mendenhall right there..

There are about 7-8 other CBs who could end up just as good as DRC

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
eh. I'd rather have had a bunch of other players. I think he's going to be broken in half the first time he tries to tackle Stephen Jackson. "Up to 182 pounds?" Holy crap. Dude is too small, IMO.

I hope he's as good in coverage as everyone thinks he'd going to be.

OP
OP
Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Now ...... Jamal Charles..... Come To Me!!!

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Well, I wanted a trade down, but I'm quite pleased that DRC fell to us. I pray Chris Johnson falls to us, but I'll be happy with Kevin Smith too.

OP
OP
Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

We proved last year that Value didn't hold a candle to need in our draft room.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Cardinals blow it again. Cason will be a better pro. Should of traded down.

I couldn't agree more. He's going to get run at consistently all season and he's going to get outmuscled by strong WRs. I sure hope we are both wrong though.

Crap, this feels worse than passing on Peterson for Brown last year IMO

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
eh. I'd rather have had a bunch of other players. I think he's going to be broken in half the first time he tries to tackle Stephen Jackson. "Up to 182 pounds?" Holy crap. Dude is too small, IMO.

I hope he's as good in coverage as everyone thinks he'd going to be.

Dude. With John Lott helping him work out, he will be at least 185 by week 1.

BigShtank

The heat dun frieded my brain
Reaction score
Wished for Mendenhall, but look, Rashard was a one year wonder at Illinois and that scared me. I think we can get a good back in the 2nd. I am not upset by the pick at all.

OP
OP
Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
# 17 - Detroit Lions

Gosder Cherilus

OT | (6'6
You must be registered for see images attach
", 314, 5.21) | BOSTON COLLEGE
Scouts Grade: 89

View by: Round | Player | NCAA School | Position | NFL Team | Flag
| All Ranked Players
| NFL Draft History
You are signed into Insider
You must be registered for see images
and have access to the exclusive draft content below.
Strengths: Has a massive frame and good feet for his size. His arms (36.2 inches) and hands (11.6 inches) are enormous. Plays with a mean streak. Is big enough to engulf defenders if he's in position, can wear them down over the course of a game and has the frame to add even more weight. Won't take many false steps, is efficient and generally gets into sound position. Drives legs once in position, shows above-average lower body strength and is a powerful run blocker that can get movement in short-yardage situations. Plays with good motor, stays under control when gets into space and is an effective downfield blocker. Efficiently gets into pass set and uses long arms to ride pass rushers past the pocket. Moves feet well for size, stays balanced and flashes the ability to counter double moves. Keeps head up, shows good awareness and can pick up the blitz as well as line stunts.

Weaknesses: Plays entirely too high. Has quick feet for his size and good overall strength but both can be compromised by his marginal leverage. Though he gets good hand placement and rarely loses battle once locked on to the defender, he doesn't deliver a powerful initial punch. While big enough to hold ground most of the time, he bends at the waist rather than the knees and powerful bull rushers should have some success pushing back into the pocket.

Overall: Cherilus redshirted in 2003, had arthroscopic surgery on his right knee in March 2003, and then went on to start every game in his playing career at Boston College. In his first three seasons (2004-06), he made 37 consecutive starts at right tackle. As a senior, he moved to left tackle and started all 14 games. Gosder needs to work on staying lower to the ground and he appears to be a better fit at right tackle than left tackle. Regardless, Cherilus is a four-year starter who possesses a very good overall talent, including a massive frame, quick feet for his size and a mean streak to finish off blocks. He projects as a late-first or early second-round pick in the 2008 NFL Draft.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Ddddddeeeeeeeeeeeeettttttttttttttttrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroooooooooooooooooiiiiiiiiiiitttttttt

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score

While I agree there are other good CB's in the draft still left, I think DRC is a solid pick. Could we have done better? Probably, by trading down. But it didn't happen.

Some had DRC being picked 11th by the Bills. I think we are lucky he fell to us. I wanted the Cards to draft Cason, but I don't think he would have been there by our 2nd rounder had we drafted a RB.

Ed Burmila

Registered
Reaction score
Better hope he's as good as his combine numbers indicate, because he wasn't a top-15 pick based on what he did on the field.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05