Official don't fire GREEN!

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
One more year men.

I didn't think we were playoff bound this year. I was hoping 7-9.

Give the man his last year and then go from there.

I think changing right now is a mistake.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
KOC, great to have you back man.

Having said that, Green has to go. Green is an excellent talent evaluator, but a bad coach, and even worse game manager. I really believe that a quality coach can take this team to the playoffs. Unforunately, Green isn't the guy.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
  • KOC IN DA HIZ-OUSE!!!
Nice to have ya back in the mix!

OP
OP
KingofCards

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
My battles are non stop.

I think we let Green finish his contract.

No one doubts he has bad game managment skills.

Thanks for the welcomes.

Tell me if, entering this year you expected playoffs? If you did than I say you were dreaming.

Next year, stay the course.

Glad to be back, man, feels like 2 years or something. Especially since the first article written on this web site was by yours truely.

Its cool, just like an old family fight.

:)

SeattleCard

Back in Arizona!!!
Reaction score
I half way agree... the other half of me thinks another season of Green is repulsive.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I think we let Green finish his contract.

Problem is, we either extend him or lose him. Green has said he won't coach one year as a lame duck coach, and I don't blame him. We either extend him or let him go, and I am NOT in favor of extending him. Cut the cord, and bring in a new regime, INCLUDING a REAL GM.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Green would have to win 6 more games this year, for me to want him to stay.

Second Deck

Registered
Reaction score
The decisons Green makes with players I cannot except. When he kept jerking McCown in favor of King. The benching of Macklin then starting Ware over him. The cutting of LJ Shelton and bringing in Oliver when Shelton would have been a much better RT. I won't bring up Kendall on this board but is much better than Step. I do think the oline is in better shape now in week 12 but a little to late.

I would personally like to keep the staff in tack bring in Fassell whom we had our best offense under him.

Also great to have you back again KofC.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't believe your comeback was in the form of this lame assed post. :wave:

:biglaugh:

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
The decisons Green makes with players I cannot except. When he kept jerking McCown in favor of King. The benching of Macklin then starting Ware over him. The cutting of LJ Shelton and bringing in Oliver when Shelton would have been a much better RT. I won't bring up Kendall on this board but is much better than Step. I do think the oline is in better shape now in week 12 but a little to late.

I would personally like to keep the staff in tack bring in Fassell whom we had our best offense under him.

Also great to have you back again KofC.

I agree...

This team is looking much better, but you have to question why they looked bad at the beginning.

I think it's pretty obvious that the coaching staff is terrible preparing for games and making adjustment during games. My girlfriend watched her first full NFL game against the Bears. She was right about 90% of all plays guessing if it was a run or a pass. That's scary! That wouldn't change if Green stays, although a new OC has helped.

IMO the biggest reason why Green should go is his suspect personal decisions and his ridiculous preference for "Green guys". Oliver Ross is the best example of that.

Ross was a decent frontside OT in the arguably most run-oriented offense in the league. Most believe that he would be a guard in a normal system, because he isn't the greatest pass-protector.
Green targeted him to play T not G in one of the most pass-oriented offenses in the league. Ross struggles, but Green defends him time and time again, because he's a "Green Guy".
Ross continues to struggle - indirectly leading to Leinart starting. Now, Ross is not only a G playing OT in a pass-oriented offense - he's a G protecting the blindside in a passing offense!
The result was of course inevitable. Ross couldn't handle that task and gets benched. But Ross not only gets benched - he goes into Green's doghouse. So instead of sliding Ross to G for the injured Milford, Green goes with Liwienski, another "Green Guy" that wasn't even good enough to get on the final roster in Minesota. Why? We weren't bidding against ourselves for Ross' services. Several teams were interested in him as a G, why not play Ross a guard.

Other suspect decisions:
- Sticking with Step waay to long

- playing Wells at the worst position possible (a finesse O-lineman with the best techinque on the team playing the most run-oriented position on the team)

- playing Griffith as pass-oriented FS, when he's always played SS. I like Griffith, but if the coaching staff insists on playing Adrian on the line, then he must go. He simply too slow. If they want to keep this scheme, then Griffith should be replaced by Francisco or Ware. OR if they want to keep Grifith, then move him to SS with Adrian sliding to WLB.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One more year men.

I didn't think we were playoff bound this year. I was hoping 7-9.

Give the man his last year and then go from there.

I think changing right now is a mistake.

Yeeeaahhhh Timmy!!! Welcome back.

I'll hold my position on Green until the end of the season. If we wind up with 6 or 7 wins, I'd say give Green his last year to prove himself. If he refuses to do that year without a contract extension, get rid of him and move on.

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
Problem is, we either extend him or lose him. Green has said he won't coach one year as a lame duck coach, and I don't blame him. We either extend him or let him go, and I am NOT in favor of extending him. Cut the cord, and bring in a new regime, INCLUDING a REAL GM.

Welcome back KofC!

The above is wrong. He said he'd prefer not to come back as a lame duck coach, not that he'd refuse to. Big difference.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

Green doesn't need to be signed to an actual extension. I believe the team has an option for a 5th year that they can exercise. Just a technicality.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Welcome back KOC.

While I've posted several pieces recently suggesting that there may be solid reasons not to replace Coach Green, the flip side of that is that there also may be solid reasons why we need to go in another direction.

- How will our team perform in our four remaining games?

- Dennis' tenure here has been marked by some successes (mostly strategy and philosophy stuff like draft picks and offensive tempo) and plenty of disappointments on the field - enough to make many fans furious with him. This body of work must be considered when we ask: "What can we expect to see next year if we retain Coach Green?" But we shouldn't let our anger at past gaffes interfere with doing what's best for the franchise.

- In other words, it should be all about "process" - Management should do what all good managements do at the end of a period - do a comprehensive review of all operations.

How do we evaluate the season (both warts and gems)? Where are we in all aspects of our franchise - from ownership on down? What are our options - i.e. Keep him or replace him? With who? What criteria should we use to decide between Dennis or a possible replacement? What are the pluses and minuses of doing either - within the context of the present roster and our ideal roster?

- We could offer DG a one-year extension with the privately-held understanding that Year #2 becomes his severance package if he doesn't deliver next year. It would cost a little more, but this would eliminate the lame-duck issue but not leave ownership out on a limb.

Bottom line - In making the decision, the only consideration should be: "Which course of action will help our football team most?" (Note - If ownership if they wanted could narrow this down to: "Which course of action is most likely to get us to the playoffs next year?")

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeeeaahhhh Timmy!!! Welcome back.

I'll hold my position on Green until the end of the season. If we wind up with 6 or 7 wins, I'd say give Green his last year to prove himself. If he refuses to do that year without a contract extension, get rid of him and move on.

He is not going to refuse and walk away from $2.5 million for 2007. The Cards do have a fifth year option and could tell him that will be exercised if he has a winning season in 2007.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
(Note - If ownership if they wanted could narrow this down to: "Which course of action is most likely to get us to the playoffs next year?")

I don't think there is any course of action that can get the Cardinals to the playoffs next year or ever for that matter.

After the '98 season what they "needed" was a better offensive line. So they drafted LJ Shelton and Leonard Davis and signed free agents Pete Kendall and Mark Gruttadauria. They still lost. Then it was Plummer's turnovers and what they needed was a "caretaker" QB so they let Plummer go and got a caretaker QB and lost even more. Then it was a pass rush so they signed Bertran Berry and still lost. Last year it was a run stuffing NT and top tier RB so they signed Kendrick Clancy and Edge and got even worse. Now 8 seasons later its the offensive line again.

:bang:

Reaction score
KoC, good to hear from you!

Re: Denny Green - it depends on how the team plays the remainder of the year.

Cardiholic

Registered
Reaction score
Keep him. Rome wasn't built in a day. I think the positives that he has built with this team outweigh the negatives. He needs at least another season for it all to come together.