Official Game 1 Thread

se7en

Go SUNS Go
Reaction score
I think one of the toughest things the Suns are up against is the Refs doing everything in their power to keep Robinson in the game. In a retirement farewell playoffs they will refuse to give him 6 fouls. Yesterday was a testament to that. I'm sure the refs hated having to call that charging foul on David when Marbury stood his ground. That was an amazing play by Steph the way he planted himself against a t footer like that. It was so obvious that the refs had no choice. But just a couple of plays later they called charging against Marbury for bumping into Robinson. Replays clearly showed Robinson shuffling his feet to get in front of Marbury. Clearly that would have been Robinson's 6th. Even after that Robinson committted more fouls but the refs would give it to Parker or someone even though they'd be 10 feet away from the play. Riduculous the way they protected Robinson. When you couple those plays that happened toward the end with the bogus charging foul given to Penny and then the offensive goal tend by Duncan that wasn't called... You have a lot of plays that would have had the Suns winning this game in regulation. I just hope the Suns don't have to play against the refs for the whole series or it will be very difficult to get to the 2nd round.

On the other hand the Suns played like crap for nearly the entire game on top of playing against bias refs... Yet they still one on the road against the best team in the entire NBA. So I think that bodes well for the future.

OP
OP
T

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
what about how the officials waited like 2 minutes to give him a foul when he wrapped his arms around a suns player claiming he had all ball?? i mean that was the most obvious thing ever, and they took their time. there were actually a lot of late whistles that game, for both teams.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
That block on duncan was sweet! Like Anthony said, both players met at the summit and Stoudemire came out on top... Great stuff.

Almost as impressive was Marion's block on Rose (i think) in the first half. Rose had just abused us with a few cuts and lay ups and looked like he was going to dunk this one when Marion came up and met him at the top and turned him away. I love it.

PhiLLmattiC

Last of a Dying Breed
Reaction score
Yeah taht was a bogus charging call on Penny. He had amare wide open for the dunk after taht and they took it away. After looking at the replay it was obvious that parker tripped himself up and grabbed his arm. I actually watched the game twice i had it recorded.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Come on guys - I love this team as much as anyone, but played in fast motion and at the time the game ws going on, I even thought Penny was a bit out of control and was going to pick up an Offenbsive foul. The refs made some really bad calls - the charging foul on Steph v Robinson was ridiculous and the non-call of Duncan's Offensive goaltending was a horrible and potential back breaking call - but there are calls every game for both teams - Penny made a mistake, he is not a superstar and shouldn't we shouldn't believe that on the road against the #1 team that that call woulodn';t be called charging. Hell, Penny even threw his arm out making it look even worse (I know on replay it showed that Parker may have been holding on to Penny's arm, but refs don't get the benfit of replay. Thee were sh*tty calls both ways, we persevered and won - let's bitch about the rtefs when we lose, not win - hell you could have called Marbury for traveling at the end of the game if you were really nitpicking.

End the series on monday - you have the stake in your hand - DRIVE IT THROUGH THEIR F*CKING HEART!

zett

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Originally posted by se7en

On the other hand the Suns played like crap for nearly the entire game on top of playing against bias refs... Yet they still one on the road against the best team in the entire NBA. So I think that bodes well for the future.
I Agree 100% Seven, The suns will play better hopefully the refs won't get worse!

zett

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Originally posted by cheesebeef
hell you could have called Marbury for traveling at the end of the game if you were really nitpicking.

End the series on monday - you have the stake in your hand - DRIVE IT THROUGH THEIR F*CKING HEART!
There was no way he traveled, he took his 2 steps and was even fouled by Parker on the play but was not going to get a call anyways!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by zett
There was no way he traveled, he took his 2 steps and was even fouled by Parker on the play but was not going to get a call anyways!

did you actually just say Marbury was fouled on that play?

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with cheesebeef about the Hardaway charging call. I thought Hardaway was out of control and used his off arm too much. I had no problem with that call.

I did not think Marbury traveled on that last play, and he was fouled by Tony Parker. It's a foul that is called 90% of the time during the first three quarters if it is closer to the basket. Of course they would have never even million years made either call in that situation.

The Marbury charging call was BS. Sometimes they will call a charge where somebody gets their feet set a split-second before the offensive player arrives. I don't like that, but I can understand it. Robinson never had his feet set. In fact they just showed that play again on TNT because Robinson hurt his knee on it. Bad call.

I thought I was going to bust a vein at the end of the game. At charging call against Marbury, Tim Duncan's offensive interference, and I thought Amare Stoudemire was hammered between Duncan and Robinson on the next play.

I thought the worst call of the game was Amare Stoudemire's second or third foul. I believe it was David Robinson who had the ball near the basket and the Suns double teamed him. Robinson barely brushed Amare's chest and the referee 15 feet away no view emphatically made the call. Unfortunately I fully expect to see the officiating get worse in Game 2. Until then I'll stop complaining about the officiating. :)

Joe Mama

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the offensive goal tending non call almost made me go thru the roof - that was a HORRIBLE non-call.

justAndy

Jolly Nihilist
Reaction score
what a workout...

..i was unknowingly doing all kinds of isometrics, trying to will the ball into the hoop. I'm a Suns fan since 1975, that was the most exiting playoff game I've seen besides the 2 triple OT games...