OJ Mayo is now a unrestricted free agent

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Aren't free agents limited to four year deals now? Five if re-signing with same team?

If so, whoever we look to get, and possibly overpay, a four year deal makes the pain a bit less.

That said the most important consideration is getting players that aren't risks, and getting them for as much value as you can. In other words have a GM/Pro scouts earn their paycheck.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Well if the SG options are Gordon, Mayo, Allen, Redd, and Shannon Brown, put me down for Mayo.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Well if the SG options are Gordon, Mayo, Allen, Redd, and Shannon Brown, put me down for Mayo.

Clearly, both Mayo and Gordon are the most talented options, but at what cost?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

In a vacuum I would agree. But Mayo will require a lot of money and commitment. OJ Mayo for 34 million over 4 years? I'll pass. A rebuilding team should not make that kind of commitment to a very mediocre talent.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
OJ Mayo for 34 million over 4 years? I'll pass. A rebuilding team should not make that kind of commitment to a very mediocre talent.

An annual salary in the $7-8 million range really isn't that hard to move, if the player can contribute at all, especially if there aren't a lot of years left. We see Childress and panic, but that's because he brings nothing to the table and his contract was for six years. Even at $34M/4y, which I think is on the high side of what he'll get, Mayo's contract would be relatively low risk. Of course he might get injured, but you can say that about anyone.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
An annual salary in the $7-8 million range really isn't that hard to move, if the player can contribute at all, especially if there aren't a lot of years left. We see Childress and panic, but that's because he brings nothing to the table and his contract was for six years. Even at $34M/4y, which I think is on the high side of what he'll get, Mayo's contract would be relatively low risk. Of course he might get injured, but you can say that about anyone.

Teams have to give away future picks to get rid of those contracts.

No, I dont have an interest. The team should not be making long investments in mediocrity. Keep the flexibility and use it to take on contracts and picks from teams who have made these exact kinds of mistakes.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Teams have to give away future picks to get rid of those contracts.

No, I dont have an interest. The team should not be making long investments in mediocrity. Keep the flexibility and use it to take on contracts and picks from teams who have made these exact kinds of mistakes.

I kind of agree, anything more than 7 mil per years seems too much for a 3-4th wheel like Mayo. I think we can all agree that Mayo is not a good #2. You can't pay those guys more than 7 mil.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I kind of agree, anything more than 7 mil per years seems too much for a 3-4th wheel like Mayo. I think we can all agree that Mayo is not a good #2. You can't pay those guys more than 7 mil.

Actually $7 million for a good 3rd option would be a steal (not that Mayo necessarily has that potential).

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Actually $7 million for a good 3rd option would be a steal (not that Mayo necessarily has that potential).

Agreed. You have to spend money. It will always be more than what you want. That is the nature of free agency. $10 million in cap space does not score any points or defend anyone and will net you no income on the investment.

Gordon is a great young player who is effective on both ends, but the price you would have to pay for him based upon his injury history is concerning. Besides, NO will just match.

Mayo is a ufa and is effective both directions. He is young and had a great difficulty losing his starting job. He would move right back into the starting job in Phoenix and would most likey be a candidate for MIP.

Ideal situation for picking up a young player in free agency.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Some people think Harden can't be a #1 option but Mayo can....

SMH

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No thanks. Unless he wants to play for $5M per year, I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole.

I think the price is going to be around $7 million. That was the tender that Memphis did not meet.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I think the price is going to be around $7 million. That was the tender that Memphis did not meet.

While I wouldn't want to pay Mayo more than 7 mil, I would much rather pay him that than Gordon more than 12. That would be insanity.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would take him $8 million annually but that's the max.

Have a feelingthat Boston is going to break the bank to get him though...

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Agreed. You have to spend money.

No. You. Don't. Period. End of story. Please name a team that put together a championship squad by overpaying free agents.

$10 million in cap space does not score any points or defend anyone and will net you no income on the investment.

It also allows you to have flexibility in the future, and doesn't hamstring you with bad contracts.

Perhaps you're unfamiliar with teams like the Pistons as of late who had a ton of money in FA, and felt your insistence to spend? That worked out great!

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns can sign OJ Mayo and change logo on same day:

You must be registered for see images attach

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No. You. Don't. Period. End of story. Please name a team that put together a championship squad by overpaying free agents.

It also allows you to have flexibility in the future, and doesn't hamstring you with bad contracts.

Perhaps you're unfamiliar with teams like the Pistons as of late who had a ton of money in FA, and felt your insistence to spend? That worked out great!

Flexibility to do what? Sign players! EVERY good signing looks like you are overpaying except with LeBron and the superstars. When we signed Tom Chambers and Steve Nash, people said we overpaid. When Dallas signed Gortat and Orlando matched, people said he was overpaid. If you want to lowball, get out of the free agent market, because that does not work. Certainly, don't overpay for a player you do not want. But when a player is out there that will work for you, you are going to have to pay him. You are not going to get an Eric Gordon on the cheap. Even if you draft a player like that you will have to pay him eventually.

For people on this board who think that you can sign great player cheaply, well, you are living in a dream world. This team needs to decide what it wants and GO GET IT.

At some point you have to spend money on players. You have to spnd what the market requires. If you want to save your money you can keep signing bargains like Hakeem Warrick and Josh Childress. But those cheap contracts end up being more expensive in the end.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Who are you saving for anyway? think we are getting Howard or DWil? What are we going to do? Wait with our pocket full of money until some handsome prince of an nba star comes along and sweeps us off our feet and begs us to sign him?

Find good quality players and sign them or get out of the free agent market.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Who are you saving for anyway? think we are getting Howard or DWil? What are we going to do? Wait with our pocket full of money until some handsome prince of an nba star comes along and sweeps us off our feet and begs us to sign him?

Having sizable cap space is an enormous trade asset, particularly mid-season. If the Suns go into the year with $8-10 million of room, expect their name to come up every time two other teams are considering a big deal and trying to figure out how to make it work financially. They could easily wind up with an extra draft pick or two in exchange for taking on a player that no one especially wants. Whereas, if they simply spend the money now, they'll have a player that no one especially wants -- and no extra draft picks.

Find good quality players and sign them or get out of the free agent market.

Remind us how many "good quality players" are in this summer's free agent market?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Having sizable cap space is an enormous trade asset, particularly mid-season. If the Suns go into the year with $8-10 million of room, expect their name to come up every time two other teams are considering a big deal and trying to figure out how to make it work financially. They could easily wind up with an extra draft pick or two in exchange for taking on a player that no one especially wants. Whereas, if they simply spend the money now, they'll have a player that no one especially wants -- and no extra draft picks.

Remind us how many "good quality players" are in this summer's free agent market?

I would love for this to happen, like it did with the Luc Longley to NY trade. But has it happened in the league recently? Seems to me that the new CBA that allows a greater salary differential in trades makes this less of a necessity for teams. Again. Great if it happens.

DWil, Gordon, and to a lesser extent Mayo.

My issue is that the Suns seem to have no chance at drawing top free agents and want to low ball the rest.

If they want to wait until next years free agent crop, fine. Im ok with that. But they have to be willing to go all out when the time comes.

If they can turn cap space into picks, thats great too. Just do it though. They haven't seemed to be able to do that.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
Don't forget that the new CBA has a cap floor. I believe teams have to spend 90% of the cap. I think teams have to be there by the 3rd year of the new CBA which would mean by next season. Pretty soon you won't be seeing teams sitting around with a $40M payroll waiting to absorb unwanted contracts.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

Exactly, couldn't have said it better myself.

JC is obsessed with this idea of spending money no matter what, and no matter how ridiculous the negotiations get. That has been proven time and time again to be a failure, and why bad teams stay bad.

Again JC - please provide me one example of a championship team made up of overpaid FA's. I'm not expecting an answer anytime soon.

The alternative of course is what Eric mentioned, having space and flexibility to acquire picks and players, while also bringing in young talent on shorter term "prove it" type contracts, while keeping your financial flexibility to sign players at an appropriate rate and when your young talent is ready to take the next step.

Or we can take your approach and be the Pistons. That seems like a great idea!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't forget that the new CBA has a cap floor. I believe teams have to spend 90% of the cap. I think teams have to be there by the 3rd year of the new CBA which would mean by next season. Pretty soon you won't be seeing teams sitting around with a $40M payroll waiting to absorb unwanted contracts.

This is why I think teams will covet players like Calderon who has a 10M+ expiring contract.... to hold CAP space for next season (especially if there is a short term need) who do not want to tie up their money long term. Sort of like short term deposits. Anyway this a way I see teams may try to keep CAP space while spending 90% of the CAP.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Exactly, couldn't have said it better myself.

JC is obsessed with this idea of spending money no matter what, and no matter how ridiculous the negotiations get. That has been proven time and time again to be a failure, and why bad teams stay bad.

Again JC - please provide me one example of a championship team made up of overpaid FA's. I'm not expecting an answer anytime soon.

The alternative of course is what Eric mentioned, having space and flexibility to acquire picks and players, while also bringing in young talent on shorter term "prove it" type contracts, while keeping your financial flexibility to sign players at an appropriate rate and when your young talent is ready to take the next step.

Or we can take your approach and be the Pistons. That seems like a great idea!

I am not obsessed with spending money no matter what. I never said that. If you want to have a reasonable discussion then do not put words in my mouth.

Show me free agents signed cheaply that were the cornerstones of championship teams, or even rebuilds. Free agents don't sign cheap.

Your argument is fallacious, because as soon as a team reaches a championship, its players contracts are automatically considered "worth it."

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would love for this to happen, like it did with the Luc Longley to NY trade. But has it happened in the league recently? Seems to me that the new CBA that allows a greater salary differential in trades makes this less of a necessity for teams. Again. Great if it happens.

Yes, it happens several times per year. The Lakers alone gave away 2 first round picks this season. The Cavs stumbled into the NUMBER ONE OVERALL pick as a result of the Clippers doing a salary dump. The Bobcats just got a 1st from Detroit by taking on Ben Gordon.

This is how teams truly rebuild. The idea that we should blow our cap on mediocre players is how you end up being the team who a few years later GIVES AWAY picks to get rid of these stupid contracts... like the Pistons just did.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05