OJ Mayo is now a unrestricted free agent

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes, it happens several times per year. The Lakers alone gave away 2 first round picks this season. The Cavs stumbled into the NUMBER ONE OVERALL pick as a result of the Clippers doing a salary dump. The Bobcats just got a 1st from Detroit by taking on Ben Gordon.

This is how teams truly rebuild. The idea that we should blow our cap on mediocre players is how you end up being the team who a few years later GIVES AWAY picks to get rid of these stupid contracts... like the Pistons just did.

Great. Do you see any scenarios like this available right now?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great. Do you see any scenarios like this available right now?

At this very second? Not off the top of my head, but the draft JUST happened, free agency starts in hours. But come December, January, February? I unequivocally guarantee there will be scenarios available because there ALWAYS are.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Agreed. You have to spend money. It will always be more than what you want.

These are your words friendo, I don't know how I can make it any more clear. The only person putting words in your mouth is yourself.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I am not obsessed with spending money no matter what. I never said that. If you want to have a reasonable discussion then do not put words in my mouth.

Show me free agents signed cheaply that were the cornerstones of championship teams, or even rebuilds. Free agents don't sign cheap.

Your argument is fallacious, because as soon as a team reaches a championship, its players contracts are automatically considered "worth it."

See post above regarding your first comment.

2nd comment - I never intimated that cheap free agents were the cornerstone to building championship teams - please re-read, and let me know if you understand the second time. I say we need flexibility, future draft picks, and young players that are low risk and have the potential to improve.

I only said championship teams are rarely made by overpaying free agents, something I've asked you several times to defend, yet you understandably refuse to answer every time.

You argue we have to overspend on free agents, and you're just wrong.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
These are your words friendo, I don't know how I can make it any more clear. The only person putting words in your mouth is yourself.

I do believe that is different than saying "spending money no matter what, no matter how ridiculous the negotiations get." THAT was an exaggeration of my words.

Ugh. This arguing is pointless unless you are actually trying to understand what I am saying.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
See post above regarding your first comment.

I only said championship teams are rarely made by overpaying free agents, something I've asked you several times to defend, yet you understandably refuse to answer every time.

What I am saying is that nearly EVERY free agent seems like he is being overpaid at the moment he is signed. Mark freaking Cuban thought we were way overpaying for Steve Nash when we signed him from Dallas. Everyone in the league thought we were overpaying for Tom Chambers.

If any other team in the league had signed Chris Bosh, it is likely his deal would seem toxic by now (just like Amare) but because he won a championship its OK.

If you can turn cap space into picks, ok, but that usually means taking on the salary of some OVERPAID player. Not every time, but often.

Are you getting this? Or are you just so intent on arguing that there is no point in the discussion.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
What I am saying is that nearly EVERY free agent seems like he is being overpaid at the moment he is signed. Mark freaking Cuban thought we were way overpaying for Steve Nash when we signed him from Dallas. Everyone in the league thought we were overpaying for Tom Chambers.

If any other team in the league had signed Chris Bosh, it is likely his deal would seem toxic by now (just like Amare) but because he won a championship its OK.

If you can turn cap space into picks, ok, but that usually means taking on the salary of some OVERPAID player. Not every time, but often.

Are you getting this? Or are you just so intent on arguing that there is no point in the discussion.

No need to get touchy, you say something, and then later say that's not what you mean. I'm not a mind reader. It's ok to change your position.

And you're wrong, not nearly every free agent seems overpaid. There are plenty of teams that are smart and get good deals on free agents, the teams that get screwed and are continually bad are those that follow your philosophy of overpaying in free agency because "everyone gets overpaid".

You mention a few situations where players that seem overpaid end up being a decent value, which even furthers my point, as for every example you can come up with of seemingly overpaid players, I can come up with ten that ended up being a disaster.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
You seem to have that effect on people.

Let's not pluralize just because you had your feelings hurt in another thread. If you have a problem with me, don't try to hide behind others, it's kinda sad. I'm confident that JC can stand up for himself.

I have very pleasant discourse with the vast majority of the board. If your feewings get hurt when someone happens to disagree with your or calls you out about something ridiculous, perhaps a message board isn't a good venue.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Whoever said that Ben Gordon was a much better player than Mayo when he signed with Detroit...

Gordon per 36
20.4ppg 3.4rpg 3.3apg 0.9spg 0.3bpg 45.5FG 41%3s 17.0 PER 112ORTG 112DRTG 0.11WS/48

Mayo per 36
16.9ppg 4.3rpg 3.4apg 1.4spg 0.5bpg 40.8FG 36.4%3s 14.7PER 101ORTG 103DRTG 0.094WS/48

So yes offensively Gordon was better but defensively Gordon was a lot worse.

Like Van Gundy said during the draft Mayo is in a bad situation in Memphis because he excels when he can create plays and have the ball in his hands. Memphis does not give him that opportunity since his rookie season. He is only the 4th option there.
He would do well for us. He can defend, he is young and has untapped potential and most importantly he is good at running the pick and roll.

On a deal averaging around 7M$ I'd most likely sign him.

Last edited:

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Whoever said that Ben Gordon was a much better player than Mayo when he signed with Detroit...

Gordon per 36
20.4ppg 3.4rpg 3.3apg 0.9spg 0.3bpg 45.5FG 41%3s 17.0 PER 112ORTG 112DRTG 0.11WS/48

Mayo per 36
16.9ppg 4.3rpg 3.4apg 1.4spg 0.5bpg 40.8FG 36.4%3s 14.7PER 101ORTG 103DRTG 0.094WS/48

So yes offensively Gordon was better but defensively Gordon was a lot worse.

Like Van Gundy said during the draft Mayo is in a bad situation in Memphis because he excels when he can create plays and have the ball in his hands. Memphis does not give him that opportunity since his rookie season. He is only the 4th option there.
He would do well for us. He can defend, he is young and has untapped potential and most importantly he is good at running the pick and roll.

On a deal averaging around 7M$ I'd most likely sign him.

Rumor has it that BOS will be all over him if Allen bolts to MIA as expected. That is good news for PHX fans as I would hate for PHX to sign Allen.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
Let's not pluralize just because you had your feelings hurt in another thread. If you have a problem with me, don't try to hide behind others, it's kinda sad. I'm confident that JC can stand up for himself.

I have very pleasant discourse with the vast majority of the board. If your feewings get hurt when someone happens to disagree with your or calls you out about something ridiculous, perhaps a message board isn't a good venue.

It's a fine place for me. You do seem to have that effect on people. I love the it's not me it's you routine too.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
It's a fine place for me. You do seem to have that effect on people. I love the it's not me it's you routine too.

Ha, your passive aggressive routine is amusing, if you have a problem, just put me on ignore. In the meantime, you should speak for yourself, unless someone else has appointed you their representative.

I don't remember anyone addressing you or asking for your opinion in the first place. Talk basketball and keep your girly drama to yourself.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Why does everything on this message board get so damn personal?

Someone isn't stupid because they disagree with your opinion. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Can you imagine how BORING this place would be if everyone just agreed with everyone else?

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
I hope we don't get into a bidding war for Mayo...

@WojYahooNBA: If the Nets don't do a deal for Joe Johnson, they're considering a significant offer for Memphis shooting guard O.J. Mayo, Y! sources said.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
@KBergCBS: In addition to Nets, the Celtics, Pacers and Suns are in the mix for unrestricted free agent O.J. Mayo, league source says.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
@WojYahooNBA: If the Nets don't do a deal for Joe Johnson, they're considering a significant offer for Memphis shooting guard O.J. Mayo, Y! sources said.

My guess is that the Suns could get Johnson pretty much just by asking, so long as they didn't send back much salary. The Hawks would love to spend Johnson's money a different way.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My guess is that the Suns could get Johnson pretty much just by asking, so long as they didn't send back much salary. The Hawks would love to spend Johnson's money a different way.

Let the Hawks buy out his 4 year 90M contract. Wishful thinking. :D

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Give em Childress.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
No one in their right mind can seriously consider taking on Johnson's contract. Esp with the new CBA and the crazy new luxury tax. That deal is the new Rashard Lewis deal (even though he was somehow traded twice...), but worse.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
We need some talent and we have to pay to get it. +1 for Mayo. I'd rather have him than Gordon and Ray Allen. Would be nice to sign Redd for another year or two for cheap.

Nash
Mayo
Duds
Frye
Polish Hammer

Marshall
Keef
Telfair
Hill
Lopez
Redd

Ouch, that team is going nowhere except another year outside the playoffs and in the middle of the lottery.

Too bad the F.O. didn't get us another pick or two. Can't expect to go anywhere if they don't try to get better. Either draft, trades or free agency. Hope we trade some token chips for young dudes and bad contracts.

Last edited:

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No one in their right mind can seriously consider taking on Johnson's contract. Esp with the new CBA and the crazy new luxury tax. That deal is the new Rashard Lewis deal (even though he was somehow traded twice...), but worse.

Actually it looks like BKY is in discussions with ATL about a deal for JJ.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We need some talent and we have to pay to get it. +1 for Mayo. I'd rather have him than Gordon and Ray Allen. Would be nice to sign Redd for another year or two for cheap.

Nash
Mayo
Duds
Frye
Polish Hammer

Marshall
Keef
Telfair
Hill
Lopez
Redd

Ouch, that team is going nowhere except another year outside the playoffs and in the middle of the lottery.

Too bad the F.O. didn't get us another pick or two. Can't expect to go anywhere if they don't try to get better. Either draft, trades or free agency. Hope we trade some token chips for young dudes and bad contracts.

Consensus is that Nash is gone, whether it be S&T or FA. This is the year rebuilding should start.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Well that's almost a reason to celebrate :) Finally!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05